6th Gen Offensive Rain Team

Hi guys! This is my first RMT, so please excuse it if it appears sloppy. I tried my best to have an appealing format to make it easier on the raters.

Bit of background info: I first started playing Competitively on Showdown in June 2013. One of the people on this forum, MCBarrett, went to my High School, and either he or someone else told me about a simulator (PS!) that allows you to build teams and battle. I started playing UU, but then moved into OU, and I initially played with a stall team but then transitioned into a more balanced offensive team. I finally settled into playing with a rain team that centralized around a Substitute-DD Gyarados and Sub CM Jirachi, which influenced my current team.

With the advent of the Rain Nerf in Sixth Gen, I quit playing for the first few weeks of the XY Metagame, until I decided that it was a silly reason to quit and decided to play again. Nonetheless, despite the weather nerf, I have decided to once again create a Rain Team that was centered around the Mega-EVO of my favorite rain sweeper-Gyarados. This time however, Sub CM Jirachi would be absent, as no longer 100% accurate Thunders made him quite unappealing. Instead of making a team that would fully rely on rain, I decided to make the team take full advantage of rain to weaken any checks, and then sweep without needing to rely on weather. Without further ado, lets get into the team!

PLEASE NOTE : I AM TRYING TO MAKE A TEAM THAT CAN BE MADE IN-GAME AS WELL WITHOUT THE USE/MINIMAL USE OF POKEBANK.

Politoed. Role : Lead, Weather Setter, Wall Breaker.

ToadallyWet (Politoed) @ Splash Plate
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song/Encore

Unlike my Gen V Rain Team, this Politoed is geared more toward an offensive set. However, there are some touches of the good old Bulky Bold Toad, such as Toxic and Perish Song. I did want to use a Choice Specs set, but I wanted to be able to switch up moves, and also catch people on surprise. I am aware of how gimmicky this set looks to be, but I use it mainly to hit Skarmory, Mandibuzz, Hippowdown all very hard, all three of which can take a Waterfall from +1 Mega-Gyara decently well. Toxic is there for Vaporeons and Tangrowths that think Im choiced, as well as whittling them down as they are also great counters to Mega-Gyara. I am very divided on what to have in my first moveslot, Rain-Boosted Hydro Pump with a Splash Plate nukes the first three pokemon I mentioned, but the Accuracy can sometimes be a let down. Surf is the much more reliable option, but has no great side affects besides perfect accuracy. Scald on the other hand, still does pack a nice punch, and does offer a chance of burn, but does miss out on the power of Hydro. Perish Song is great for shutting down any cheeky Baton Passers, but Encore is great for creating set-up opportunities.

For all those who say go Damp Rock, I am debating it, but that Splash Plate boost is quite nice. The purpose of rain in this team is mainly though for the temporary boosts it provides, whether it give my Noivern a nice 100% Accurate Hurricane, or gives my Gyarados the power to muscle through any weakened Skarmories or Mandibuzzes without the need for a DD.

Mega-Gyarados. Role: Sweeper.

Chinese (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Bite/Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

Yes, I know the EVs are not very original. Im asking for help in that section especially, and not just for Gyarados, but for my entire team. Im trying to find a bulkier spread that can help me take Brave Birds easier from Talonflame, as well as live at least one Mach Punch from Conkeldur (If Possible). Coming in on these mons with an Intimidate will definitely help though, as thats been my game plan so far. The moveset is also pretty basic as well, with Bite being used for STAB (Pity no Crunch :pirate: ). Ice Fang however, does seem to be the superior option, allowing me to hit Dragons way harder, but I like Bites flinch rate and I really get paranoid about Ice Fangs accuracy at times. Bite however, does do much better against Slowbro, which is also slightly a pain to deal with. The main purpose of this set is to set up at least with one or two DD's, and proceed to wreak havoc on everything if the five previously mentioned counters are out. It is guaranteed to at least do some heavy damage, which can open the way for a teammate to clean-up. This is by far one of my favorite megas, and Mold-Breaker lets it smash straight through Rotom-W, one of its premier counters in BW.

Noivern. Role: Clean Up, Wall Breaker, Scout, Trick-User, Revenge Killer.

Bruce (Noivern) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- Switcheroo/U-Turn
- Focus Blast
I love Noivern, and it serves mainly as my Revenge Killer, my Late-Game Cleaner, and functions as a decent Wall Breaker by shutting down Bulky Grass types, and does somewhat well against Bulky-Waters as well. A STAB Hurricane in the rain with Specs is sure to do a nice big chunk to anything that switches in unless it resists it. I am debating about whether to use Switcheroo or U-Turn, Switcheroo is great for crippling annoying walls, but U-Turn is fantastic for gaining momentum when the opponent switches. The other moves on the set are pretty standard, although I am debating swapping out Focus Blast and putting Boomburst, as well as swapping the ability to Frisk. That does however, leave me extremely screwed against any steel types. All in all, I really enjoy using this set, and its probably one of the few great Pokemon I can get ingame with little trouble to serve as a revenge killer. I basically made this set to deal with Ferrothorn and Slowbro, as neither of them really appreciate a Hurricane (Or Focus Blast for Ferro). It does a decent job of killing all Greninja sets barring Scarfed ones (Which almost no one uses). This set also does well against the Occasional SableEye, which would otherwise cripple the majority of my team with priority Will-O-Wisp.

Excadrill. Role: Dedicated Spinner, Wall-Breaker.

Whack Me (Excadrill) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Shadow Claw

Nothing to different here, just the standard Air Balloon Jolly Excadrill set. What is slightly customized however, is the moveset. This set is primarily used to get those Rocks and Hazards away, and that is pretty much the only thing I have in mind when I designed this set. Shadow Claw always catches any Trevenant Spin-Blockers off guard, and SD and Shadow Claw/EQ will always guarantee in killing any Spin blocker. It also does to a pretty good job of weakening Ferrothorn a bit, and Shadow Claw does do pretty well against Slowbro. Since those two pokemon are pretty much a huge problem for Gyarados to handle, any sort of damage accumulated on either of them really helps pave the way for a Gyarados sweep. There really isn't to much to say about this set, its standard as can be besides the moveset.

Azumarill. Role: Wallbreaker, Cleaner, Revenge Killer, Sweeper.

Bugs Bunny (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 212 Atk / 240 HP / 4 SDef / 40 Def / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Superpower

I really do apologize for the Noob EV Spread, that was not very well thought out. I wanted to make something with at least a bit of bulk to live Talonflames Brave Birds if I accumulated some damage before hand. It serves as a pretty great revenge killer under the rain, Rain-Boosted Aqua Jet is never appreciated by anything unless it 4x Resists Water or has Water Absorb or Storm Drain. Its main counter, Mega-Venusaur, absolutely hates Noiverns Hurricanes, which have OHKO'd from full. This EV spread also has saved me before, as a LO Fusion Bolt from Kyurem B did not kill me (Although it did leave me only at 10%). This set is great for softening up Gyarados Counters, especially when it gets a Belly-Drum under its belt. I am considering changing the item to leftovers, and I am very open to any suggestions about the EV Spread.

Mamoswine. Role : Lead, Wallbreaker, Revenge Killer, Sash.

Bacon (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear/Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

This is my go to lead most of the team when the opponent doesn't have any spinners, or opposing hazard setters. It is a pretty fun set to use, and having Jolly means I can outspeed Sash Smeargles on WiFi or PS! and usually kill with Icicle Spear, depending on how how lucky I get with the hit count. However, I do not like the chance to only get 2 hits, as that has screwed me over a few times. Also, Im not even really sure if its possible to get Icicle Spear in Gen VI, as Im pretty sure you had to breed with Corsola I believe. Either way, I will most likely be changing to Icicle Crash, as I can easily fodder sleep-fodder something depending on the opponents team (Usually Poli). Mamoswine is also here to provide a nice Electric Resistance, as well as being the only mon that resists BoltBeam (I think). I really do like the Focus Sash, as its a great way to deal heavy damage with EQ if the opponent doesn't have Multi-hit moves or hazards, and then finish off with a Ice Shard. Its also good for hitting Scarf Chomps, Mence, or Hydreigon, as both those things enjoy eating up Noivern like its nothing. The main counters to this set, Rotom-W, Bronzong, and Skarmory, are all dealt with by either Excadrill or Politoed. This allows me to use Mamoswine to really hurt Tangrowth, and Earthquake does do a decent chunk to Ferrothorn.

Thanks for taking time to read through this and help out! I know I do lack a Choice Scarf user, but I feel I make up for it with Ice Shard and Aqua Jet. Im open to most suggestions, just make sure that any suggested Pokemon can be obtained ingame without the use of Pokebank. Im really looking for any EV changes, as those are what Im most inexperienced with. Thanks again!

First off, I love rain dance teams, and from personal experience if what you're going for here is an all-out offensive blitz than sacrifice the plate for a damp rock so that you have ample time for the real muscle to step in and kick the living snot out of your enemy. Although it does suck, I think it would be best to give politoed Scald as opposed to Hydro-Pump, because if you end up inflicting a burn (or if you decide to Toxic their mon ) then it's just another thing for them to worry about. And remember that politoed isn't all too powerful, so just leave the sweeping to your sweeper(s). Never EVER stall with your lead. You need a sweeper out there as soon as you deem he is ready. If not you're just wasting away the rain, and Shower Equals Power (hehehe...). Your Mamoswine and Excadrill are very vulnerable to a water counterattack, so consider changing that up. Maybe throw in a lightningrod/Thunder user to not only take advantage of 100 accuracy thunder but also to switch into if you find one of your water types against an electric type and something essential to every rain dance team is a pokemon that can replenish the rain. Maybe a little something like this:

Bronzong @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
252Atk/252Spd (the rest don't matter)
-Jolly Nature
-Rain Dance
-Light Screen/Reflect
-Block/(the other screen if you think you can count on them not pulling out a possibly significant pokemon for another, less significant one.)
-Explosion

So you have a clearly offensive set build built around rain. I see two major flaws: 1) Only ONE souce of rain. 2) Two of your mons really don't want to get hit with a rain boosted move.

I agree with 8BBD, you need another source of Rain. Try out his Bronzong, might be a good idea. Another mon you might want to try, and it's because I have a soft spot for him, is Heliolisk. Three reasons why:
- Dry Skin both heals him during rain and allows him to absorb water moves that others might try.
- He can learn Surf, further taking advantage of the rain boost (also countering things that might want to jump infront of a TBolt or Thunder)
- He resists electricity on his decent SDef stat.

He helps balance out your team a bit.

Something you COULD try on Politoed, and this might work well with something like Zebstrika or Electivire for thier Electric absorbing power, is an Assault Vest. He's got decent Special bulk, it gives you a few more options to throw him in if you want the rain back. However, you lose Toxic and Encore. To make it a utility AV set, try Scald, Mud Shot (For electric switch ins), Ice Beam, and Hyper Voice (for hitting through Subs).

Go, see what works, and tell us what you find.

Thanks for the insight! Ive changed the set from Splash Plate to Damp Rock. I am however, debating from switching it to Choice Specs. This allows me to deal heavy damage to Mandibuzz and Skarmory, who both can easily either ohaze Gyarados out, or if Mandibuzz hit it with a Toxic or Foul Play. Heres a calc

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz in Rain: 360-424 (84.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Pretty much a straight OHKO with Rocks factored in. Still leaves him at a range of health wheres he pretty much forced to switch, and the switch-in has to take heavy damage.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory in Rain: 462-544 (138.3 - 162.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And of course, I might put Focus Blast to deal with Ferrothorn, which I havent seen much of.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 294-348 (83.5 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

My only qualms with going Specs is the fact that Im awful at predicting. I can work on that though.

Im starting to agree with bith of you on Mamoswine and Excadrill. While Mamoswine does do a decent job of checking any Scarf Chomps or Mences, both Mamo and Excadrill seem to be dead weight alot of the time. I might even consider just removing both of them and putting a Latias to defog. The only problem is I dont have any pre-Gen VI games, so I cant obtain Latias unless I buy Gen V, pokesav myself a Latias (my computer is to slow probably to do this) and then transfer when bank comes out. Or I can hope for a giveaway.

ModelT, I was writing my comment and then yours came up. Thanks for the suggestion! Ill try out AV as well. Im liking that Heliolisk suggestion, since he can work as a decent scout, and revenge killer. He also resists T-Wave, which is very useful, and one of the reasons I kept Mamoswine around anyway.

The thing about Rain is, I try not to make my team centered so much around it. I use it more like a gem, where in BW you would just carry gems to blow past certain threats you couldn't have gotten through. With the weather nerf, Ive tried to build a team that is able to take advantage of rain to either blow past its counters, and then be able to operate safely without it.

I also think Azumarill isnt doing to much. Hes kind of just there because of the overwhelming Fighting weakness my team carries, and to check AV Conkeldurr. To be honest, hes simply to slow. This azumarill spot is kind of glue, but it really isnt the greatest glue.

Is just an idea for another rain setter, what about manaphy (Rain Dance/Rest/Surf/Tail Glow or AnotherCoverMove), Or the old duo Kingdra(swift swim)+Scizor(Bullet Punch/Roost/Defog/U-Turn).
I never actually tested them because in gen V when I played Rain team both Manaphy and swift swim were banned from ou.

The problem with mamo and exca weakness to a powered-up water move is real but it is also real your weakness to thunder, so you probably have to keep one of them unless you find a decent grass pokè(resist both water and electric moves) or another non-flying dragon like Goodra.

Goodra! A friend ran a rather devious Hydration Goodra that knew Rest and Raindance, with a couple of attack. That's thing is hard to deal with.

Of course... that'd be three fairy weaknesses (Megados, Noivern and Goodra). So use at your own risk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)