6th Gen Stall

With Gen 5 being the era of Hyper Offense and almost nothing else; I quickly found myself leaving Gen5 OU; as a player who preferred Stall or Balanced playstyles.

With Gen6 in it's infancy; however; I decided to give Gen6OU a fair shot; since the weather abilities had been heavily reduced. A few team building sessions later; and I have formed a solid stall team; with which I am slowly gaining rating on my testing account. This account was pretty low rating due to failed teams; and has now risen to the mid 1400's since using this team; which has only lost once.

As such; I think this team has a solid foundation; but I am aware that work could be done to imprive it further. I am not a master stall player in any way.

====
The Team

The pokemon are in the list in the order I added them to the team; thus; each pokemon will also include my thoughts on building the team at the time.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

On a stall team; Ferrothorn is basically a staple. Even with the resistances of Steel nerfed; and Rain no longer being almost omnipresent to mitigate his Quad weakness to fire; Ferrothorn is still a defensive behemoth.

This is a pretty standard Ferrothorn; a Spiker instead of a Stealth Rocker. Leech Seed and Protect not only allow me to scout for random Fire Blasts and Fighting moves [Especially from commonly Choiced pokemon]; but also allows me to deal a large amount of passive damage while sustaining.

I put this guy in the lead position for team preveiw purposes; but usually lead with Tyranitar. It is amusing how often people lead with something to handle Ferrothorn.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Gliscor is another common pokemon; although it finds it's place on many types of teams. Gliscor plays multipleroles on the team; from stalling for more residual damage with Protect; to keeping momentum with U-Turn. It also counters things such as MegaLucario that lack Ice Punch; while Taunt messes up opposing stall teams; and pokemon such as opposing Ferrothorns; who can be troublesome to deal with otherwise; especially as a 'last mon'. Taunt is also nice for annoying things like Klefkis or pokemon who think they can set up.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Torment
- Foul Play

Speaking of Klefki; the annoying keyring is the entire reason I decided to make a full stall team. I deviated from the 'norm' for Klefki; however; and swapped out Thunder Wave for Torment. Klefki only has two weaknesses; and they are to types that are not often seen together on the same pokemon. How the key works is it switches in on something that cannot hurt it; subs; and then uses Swagger/Torment as need be; Torment on pokemon who are only likely to carry one attack that can break Klefki's subs; and Swagger on anything else.

Toxic Spikes was planned to be used; which was another reason I did not want to take Thunder Wave.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Roar

At this point; I noticed I lacked real special bulk; so a natural response was to pick Tyranitar. I also noticed I was weak to being set-up on; and required Stealth Rock. As such; I moved to a slightly unorthodox Tyranitar; focused on shuffleing the enemy team. Tyranitar is often the lead of the team; and it messes with people quite often, especially as they expected Ferrothorn. When they see rocks for some reason most try to set up on it; which just leads to getting Roared.

Pursuit was supposed to be so I could finish off low HP special attackers or Ghosts that could spinblock; but I've found by the time I'm in a position to use it; people stay in anyway thinking I'll just Roar again. Due to this I am considering switching to Crunch.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb

At this point I wanted four things; a Fighting Resist; a Spinner; another special sponge; and Toxic Spikes. One one pokemon provides all four; and thus; Tentacruel entered the team.

There's not really a lot to say about Tentacruel. It's job is simple; switch in on things like the scouted fire attacks aimed at Ferrothorn; and lay down T-Spikes, maybe throw a Scald; and spin if need be. Sludge Bomb is mainly for coverage; and because it is a giant middle finger to pokemon such as Breloom who seem to think they an come in for free and have their way. It also allows a way of dealing damage to and poisoning fliers; if luck is on my side. [Especially Dragons; who Scald would tickle]

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Roar
- Ice Beam

For my final pick; I bore in mind that I had both a spinner and a Taunter; meaning my side of the feild would be rather rocks-free. I also bore in mind I was pretty weak to Ground; lacked a special wall with any recovery at all; and was still weak to set-up.

As such; I decided to put Articuno onto the team. Specifically; a SubRoost Shuffler. By the time Articuno comes out; I usually have multiple hazards up, so Articuno's job is therefor simple; make use of it's massive bulk and phaze and SubRoost until the cows come home. Ice Beam also has the added bonus of taking out pesky non-grounded foes who are immune to Spikes and T-Spikes; including the likes of Gliscor and Dragons [Which is the main reason I picked Articuno over Zapdos; Ice Beam]. With it's decent speed and good bulk; Articuno can also do a decent cleanup job; as can Gliscor.

Articuno started out as an experiment for the team; as 2nd phazer; but it's turned out very strong. It's massive special bulk allows it to withstand even Flamethrowers/Fire Blasts and Thunderbolts from most pokemon. Articuno's main issue is the fact it loses 50% to rocks; but this team can prevent that from becoming a problem.

Pressure is just a nice little bonus.

====

Issues:
Sableye - This thing is irritating. Between Prankster Taunt and Prankster Recover it can almost single-handedly stop my entire team. Gliscor's taunt is outpaced; I can't Roar it out to shuffle it; and my attacks tend to not hit hard enough. I'm not sure what I can do about it; however. Usually I just force it into a Catch22 where it cannot recover and taunt at once; but this is difficult and takes time.

Mega Lucario - This thing can sweep if Gliscor goes down. Ice Punch variants are also a major issue.

Opposing Stall - In general; I have little to deal with opposing stall. My main form of damage is phazeing; and Gliscor has the only Taunt on the team. My relative lack of reliable recovery makes it difficult for me to face opposing stall.

lucario cant have ice punch in standard ou

why sassy on ttar? speed is actually relevant unless you were running payback. crunch is way better than pursuit, what are you even pursuiting anyway without investing into attack? you need crunch to actually kill the gengars and whatnot that focus blast you. i'd run tyranitarite as well on it, the increased defenses make up for the lack of leftovers recovery (mainly surviving specific attacks) and the bonus in attack certainly doesn't hurt.

i think your team is too passive without protection tbh, the problem is you're susceptible to rapid spinners (excadrill yes, but even worse is forry, starmie, and tenta, there are mons they just spin on with impunity vs your team and relying on ferrothorn seems short sighted)

i would give klefki spikes over torment because there are dead turns with that set that you can spike with, and having priority spikes is pretty cool for a team that relies on it like you do. then you could afford to go gourgeist over ferrothorn to block rapid spin from forry and exca, while being able to at least take water-moves from the water spinners (ice beam could be a pain tho)...you do have shadow sneak as an option for starmie but the point is, it blocks spin, can leech seed, and counters pretty much every physical mon anyway except like ttar which you have gliscor for...and if people get cute with outrage, its just more klefki spikes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)