A Basic Team - Needing Help!

I've never been in a tournament, and have rarely battled online or in-person with others. I just haven't had the chances to do so. Recently I learned that my local Gamestop, though, is going to have a tournament-for-fun for B/W/B2/W2 at the X/Y release party. Well! That should be fun. But on the rare occasions I've actually battled real people, I've always lost--except against kids. I'm an adult, so you would think I would be a good enough player to smash through lots of opponents... Well, my problem is essentially that I like to use "weak" pokemon. Not intentionally, mind you...but the teams that I build are usually ranked as NU or RU. (Very occasionally, UU.) But I'd still like to enter the tournament with what I have. I'm not looking to win, necessarily, or to enter the competitive world. I have fun just piddling around in the game's world, and I want to have some fun at this event without getting knocked out in the first battle.

So...essentially what I'm looking for is tips on what I could do to vamp up my Pokemon and strategy before the day arrives. (Friday, natch.) Examine my lineup and tell me whatever you can that may assist me. What can I do to fill the holes in my defences? How do I deal with threats?

----Scarlet (Zangoose) EV trained slightly, not completely.
-Docile, Proud of its power. Holding Razor Claw.
Ability: Immunity.
-Attacks:
Return
X-Scissor
Strength
Shadow Claw

----Noir (Liepard) EV trained slightly, not completely.
Ability: Limber
-Brave, A little quick-tempered. Holding BlackGlasses
-Attacks:
Return
Foul Play
Night Slash
Shadow Claw

----Gammagero (Seismitoad) EV trained w/ Pokerus.
Ability: Poison Touch
-Rash, Likes to run. Holding Leftovers.
-Attacks:
Earthquake
Surf
Scald
Toxic

----Mori (Swoobat) EV trained w/ Pokerus.
Ability: Unaware.
-Docile, Quick-tempered. Holding Twistedspoon.
-Attacks:
Psychic
Fly
Shadow Ball
Air Slash

----Davros (Darmanitan) EV trained slightly, not completely.
Ability: Sheer force.
-Adamant, Capable of taking hits. Holding Charcoal.
-Attacks:
Flare Blitz
Superpower
Fire Punch
Rock Slide

----Denchura (Galvantula) EV trained w/ Pokerus.
Ability: Compoundeyes.
-Bold, often scatters things. Holding Expert Belt.
-Attacks:
Thunder
Bug Buzz
Energy Ball
Volt Switch

Hi,

being adult doesn't prevent one from getting screwed by younger players ;) I assume this is for 3v3 singles ?

At first, you're right, most of your pokemon are rather weak contenders in the world of competitive play.
Darmanitan is usable, but especially since yours is rather slow because of its adamant nature, i would highly recommend a choice scarf instead of the charcoal. +Scarf it is capable of effectively revenging otherwise faster threads and hit them hard with STAB Flare Blitz. Fire Punch is redundant, since
Flare Blitz is simply a much stronger version, and Darmanitan won't survive much beating in return anyway, so it is almost always better for him to hit as
hard as possible hoping for a quick KO.
Liepard is usable as well in general, but it badly needs Prankster as its ability and a well suited movepool for that. Swagger | Foul Play | Encore | Substitute +Prankster f.e. would be an effective moveset for the cat, allowing to lock boost sweepers via encore, and using swagger+foul play to deal major damage, or at least allowing one of your other members to come in for free on an encored move. The 50% Gems are almost always better than the 20% boost items (BlackGlasses,Charcoal etc.) by the way. If you're just looking for an offensive Dark type, i would recommend Hydreigon, Tyranitar or maybe Houndoom instead of it.
Seismitoad should have either Water Absorb or Swift Swim as ability. Poison Touch is by far the least useful in his repertoire. Since Swift Swim requires you to run rain to be effective, I would recommend Water Absorb, since it allows you to switch into water moves with impunity, which is really useful since you lack the crucial water resist at the moment. And use either Scald or Surf to avoid offensive redundance. On 'toad I would prefer Scald tbh.
Earthquake and Toxic look good, I would use Protect > Surf on this set, since it helps you to rack up toxic/burn damage, leftovers recovery and/or scout
your opponents moves, possibly choicelocking them.
I would substitute the remaining members tbh. Unaware Swoobat is weak and very easy to kill, and neither its stats, nor the ability are well suited for an allout-attacker set. If you want an offensive Psychic try Alakazam of Lati@s. Or Espeon. Or Reuniclus, Slowbro, Slowking etc. really anything other than Swoobat. If you're more towards an unaware user, try Calm Mind / Moonlight / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt Clefable.
You will absolutely need a dragon resists, which means a steel type. Dragons are the most fearsome offensive players in Gen.5 and having nothing to
stop them, will make it very unlikely to win a single game, since Dragons are pretty popular even among the "weaker" players.
You could run Scizor > Zangoose, since it easily fits the same role offensively, but in addition it provides a whole bunch of useful resists. Ferrothorn or Metagross are strong optios either. And even if you absolutely want to stick to your RU/NU thing, in Sturdy Aggron@Custap Berry f.e. you will find an
underplayed but very strong alternative.

i hope that helps a bit ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)