VGC A Colorful Cast of Characters in a Room of Tricks

Hey everyone! With Seattle Regionals happening this coming Sunday, I needed to get final info on my team. It's a Trick Room team (duh), but it's just fast enough to outspeed normal Trick Room teams by a bit. I built this team not wanting to always rely on Trick Room. Well, here we go!

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 172 Def / 8 SpA / 92 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap

When you hear Trick Room, how can you not think of Cresselia? This lunar duck tank provides so much for this team, with its obvious Trick Room setup, Skill Swapping Levitate onto Heatran, stealing abilities from Pokemon that rely on them *cough* Greninja *cough*. What is there to say other than that?

Chesnaught @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 224 HP / 60 Atk / 44 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Low Kick
- Helping Hand
- Super Fang
- Wood Hammer

Some people might ask, "What's this thing?" Well I'll tell you: IT'S AN AWESOME SUPPORT TANK!!! Not gonna lie, I took this set from another team, and if you're viewing this, I wanna thank you a ton. Anyway, with its EVs, it can survive a Life Orb Heatran's Heat Wave. And with 60 Atk EVs, it can deal 60% to MegaKhan with Low Kick and possibly OHKO a less defensive Rotom-W. Helping Hand is just kinda there, if there was a better option I'd love to hear it. But Super Fang... Wow. We all saw how that move impacted VGC last year in the form of an electric squirrel. And its ability! Predicting a MegaSaur Sludge Bomb? Chesnaught's got ya covered bruh! Overall, Chesnaught is a great Pokemon.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

It's a standard Heatran. Big damage and baits people into Ground and Fighting moves... Nothing we haven't seen before... Its high SpA deals with many threats, like various Steel types, opposing Heatrans, and Fairies. With the Shuca Berry, it also fakes opposing earthquakers into possibly hitting their teammates. In the end, a very common choice

Braviary @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Sky Drop
- Facade

Defiant=Bisharp? Nope! Braviary is my Intimidate counter, and it's awesome! This American monster deals high damage with Brave Bird and Superpower, immobilizes opponents with Sky Drop, and can lay down the smackdown with a boosted STAB Facade with a status, giving it almost a second ability, Guts. With Assault Vest, it survives Rotom's Thunderbolt often and can provide a safe switch in. God bless 'Murica and God bless Braviary.

Kecleon @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 200 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide
- Skill Swap

My other Trick Room supporter, a generally overlooked Pokemon. But guess what... Protean+Skill Swap. WOOOOOOOAAAAH!!! That's right, I can give STAB to whatever I want! And while Kecleon can't really OHKO anything that isn't Fire/Flying, it can deal quick damage with Sucker Punch. And man, that SpD stat! I love Kecleon and it's great to finally be using it.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Water Pulse
- Fake Out
- Protect

I had a special Swampert here before, but Wide Guard wasn't really coming into play ever, and Swampert wasn't picking up KOs. MegaStoise, on the other hand, has defenses almost on par with Cresselia, has a SpA stat akin to that of Heatran, and can provide Fake Out support, letting me set up a Trick Room or take the time I need to take out an extra opponent. MegaStoise was a better overall choice than Swampert.

Well, that's all folks! Give me suggestions, praise, or both! And if you're going to the Seattle Regionals, message me and we'll meet up! Also if nyone knows what time it's going to bestarting, that'd be great to know... Pokemon.com didn't really have anything on that. Thanks for your time everyone!

Last edited:
Hey there, cool looking team. I'm going to go over the team pokemon by pokemon with my opinions on them:

Cresselia-Looks solid, only thing is that I personally don't like messing around with Skill Swap, an option for that is Helping Hand instead. SKill Swap Cress together with Heatran is something I know can be effective, so go for it if you really want to.
Chesnaught-The Chesnaught set looks quite solid, but something to consider would possibly be to swap it for Amoonguss. Amoonguss provides really annoying Spores, and redirection with Rage Powder. But going with Chesnaught might work, seeing as it is a solid threat to Kang with Low Kick, and also deals with Bisharp, something Amoonguss doesn't. Amoonguss does however work really well outside of TR, something Chesnaught doesn't.
Heatran-Heatran is perfect for a TR attacker, so good pick there. Shuca Berry is something that definetly can catch people off guard, so it is somewhat viable. Swapping it with Leftovers could always work. Flash Cannon on Heatran is something that I have not found to be that use ful, so you might consider swapping it with Substitute or maybe even Ancient Power (Trust me, trolling those Talon's and Zard's is worth it).
Braviary-Well, I would honestly never pick Braviary for a TR team. It is not that good for VGC in general. I would maybe suggest switching it with a simple Scarf Landorus-T, to have something that works outside of TR. It can also lead together with Cress, Intimidate things, U-Turn out, and come back in when TR is over. TR teams with no pokemon to work outside of TR is not too good, so definetly something to consider.
Kecleon-Having two TR setters in VGC is not really neccessary. Kecleon isn't that good of a mon either. To have something more to work outside of TR, I would say maybe swap it for Hydreigon, with either Specs or Life Orb. Hydreigon provides a way to beat opposing Cress in short time, something your team was lacking. Hydra also provides a lot of offensive pressure, and is just a real threat with powerful Draco Meteor's.
Blastoise-Blastoise has actually wrecked me to peices on Battle Spot many times, so it is quite solid. Just one thing, Water Spout is essential on Mega Toise. It dishes out so much damage, swapping Water Pulse with Water Spout is a must. Other than that, Fake Out and Protect takes away a move slot for coverage that Blastoise really wants to have. There is a reason for why Kangaskhan never runs Protect and Fake Out together. Coverage moves for Blastoise are Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse, both getting the Mega Launcher boost. You might consider swapping either Fake Out or Protect for Dark Pulse or Aura Sphere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)