XY OU A Double Take on OU

Hello OU raters, I'm Qazoo. I took a long hiatus from playing OU because I was playing Smogon Doubles which is better. But after a while, I decided to try OU again and I made a bulky offense team made around Mega Venusaur, CB Azumarill and a Choice Scarf Heatran.

At a Glance

In Depth

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 HP / 20 Def / 180 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This was the Pokemon I decided to build this whole team around. It has great stats for a bulky attacker and is a really good mon to have on the team. I honestly made this set SO long ago that I forget all of the benchmarks. It outspeeds adamant 252 speed Tyranatar by 1 and 2HKOes back with Giga Drain. Sludge Bomb is for a secondary more powerful STAB and HP Fire is for it's GREAT coverage with grass.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall

This is the standard Choice Band Azumarill set according to the PS! Damage Calc, but I took 4 EVs out of HP and put them into speed so I wouldn't have to worry so much about speed ties if it ever came down to that.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 60 HP / 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Flash Cannon

THIS, is my favorite mon on this team. The EVs were custom made for this team. Charizard Y and Talonflame both crap all over this team, so I invested 28 EVs into attack so that stone edge would be a guaranteed OHKO on 4hp Mega Charizard Y (5HKO if you account for accuracy). 168 speed EVs and a Choice Scarf outspeed base 110s IIRC, then I put 252 EVs into SpA and dumped the rest into HP for some bulk.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technitian
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Defog

A recent addition to the team. I originally had a DD Dragonite here, but it just never seemed to pull it's weight in any battles. I chose Scizor for two reasons: setup sweeper with priority, and defog. Since Dragonite's role was supposed to be "get in, get a DD or two in and sweep with a combo of Dragon Claw and Fire Punch and Extreme Speed", so I kept the setup part in the set with Swords Dance, and the priority with Bullet Punch. I also added Defog over another coverage move because my team has no other ways of getting rid of hazards besides Venusaur switching in on Toxic Spikes.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

I honestly just ripped this set off of the analysis, so there isn't much to say here. I chose Landoge because it is a defensive Pokemon that synergies well with Rotom-Wash, has stealth rock, has intimidate to help with the overall bulk of the team, is good in doubles, and is a really good pivot with U-Turn.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This set was also ripped from the analysis. I chose it because it has a great typing and helps the rest of the team, has a slowish Volt Switch, and has WoW. I chose it because of it's good special bulk too.

Well, that's my team! Please help out however you can. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Qazoo306,

I like your team a lot. There are two thing I would change though. One is Scizor, in my opinion, is better with technician as an ability over swarm as that makes bullet punch a 90 bp move and not a 60. The other thing is that I would put Crawdaunt over Azumarill. This is because it is immune to psychic attacks that otherwise plague Venusaur. Also, it can DD up to give it more power and speed and hit hard with stab knock off and aqua jet. The stab boost is doubled due to it's hidden ability adaptability.

Hey Qazoo306,

I like your team a lot. There are two thing I would change though. One is Scizor, in my opinion, is better with technician as an ability over swarm as that makes bullet punch a 90 bp move and not a 60. The other thing is that I would put Crawdaunt over Azumarill. This is because it is immune to psychic attacks that otherwise plague Venusaur. Also, it can DD up to give it more power and speed and hit hard with stab knock off and aqua jet. The stab boost is doubled due to it's hidden ability adaptability.
Thanks. Swarm was an accident, and I will try Crawdawnt. Do you have a specific set in mind hat I could try out?

Haha yeah, I thought it must have been a accident. Not really, sorry. I've never used it before. But from what I have seen people use focus sash to get one dd up and use knock off or aqua jet. The fourth move is your choice. 252 evs for both speed and attack and I guess put 4 in hp. Adamant for more power as you have a priority anyways, but that's unto you. You can use Jolly if you wish.

Alright, well I don't post much on here, and I certainly won't pretend to be the greatest player ever, however, you asked me to rate this so I guess I'll give it a go.

My first impression of this team is that it looks really easy to wear down. The majority of the pokemon on here are quite slow, and none of them have any sort of reliable recovery. To make matters worse, you have 1/3 of the team choiced, meaning that one mispredict could force you to switch and lose momentum, something you definitely don't want to happen as you will be worn down strikingly quickly.

To help with this I suggest you switch the roles of heatran and lando. Give lando the choice scarf and have heatran set rocks instead of use stone edge. You can then put stone edge on lando to deal with talon and Y-zard. The whole point of this change is because lando has u-turn, which means it can help you keep momentum instead of having to deal with manually switching out if the opponent switches. Of course, you still have to predict the switch, but now you are guaranteed a good matchup if it happens.

This team also seems to lack a secondary win condition. Scizor is good and all, but the rest of the team doesn't really do anything to support him. If he gets burned or ko'd on a crit, you're completely out of luck and just have to hope you can find some other way to win on the spot.

To alleviate this, I advise you to either add a cleric of some kind or add in a new back-up wincon such as greninja (just the first thing that came into my head). As for who to replace I advise rotom-w, but that could just be because I can't stand that thing.

If you do want to keep rotom, physically defensive is standard and generally better unless you have a specific reason to go special.

Oh and most importantly of all, get some nicknames.

So yeah, those are my thoughts on this team. Please do keep in mind that I primarily play Rain HO so you can take my advice with a grain of salt.

Edit: I thought of a much better alternate win con for this sort of team.
CM clefable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)