A few questions about walls.

I've been doing some thinking recently and have come up with 2 questions about peoples opinions on walls.

1. Instead of having 2 walls dedicated to each side of the spectrum (E.G SkarmBliss), would using a Mixed wall still work and leave an open spot for another role? If so, which mixed walls handle both roles nicely?
  2. Screw walls altogether - All offensive teams are quite common. What is your opinion on an all offensive team (maybe with 1 support poke)?
Thank you.

Cresselia does Mixed Walling quite well,especiall with something like Bulky Hariyama to take Weavile/Tyranitar.(with thick Fat so it can counter Weavile's Ice Punch,also give it counter because of it massive HP it shouldbe able to send those massive attacks back. Something like say a Magnezone to take the Shadow bAlls from Gengars. A Heracross to take Satus(put Sleep Talk) for sleeper,Amamoswine to revenge kill stuff

I haven't ran walls in my teams for a long time. The only thing that I usually run is Vaporeon for Wish support, Jirachi for Wish and Stealth Rock, or Swampert for just Rock resist and Stealth Rock.

The thing about teams with no walls, is that the moment something Dragon Dances, you need to have something capable of taking it out easily. SO always pack in something that can take on Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, etc after they Dragon Dance.

I've been doing some thinking recently and have come up with 2 questions about peoples opinions on walls.
  1. Instead of having 2 walls dedicated to each side of the spectrum (E.G SkarmBliss), would using a Mixed wall still work and leave an open spot for another role? If so, which mixed walls handle both roles nicely?
  2. Screw walls altogether - All offensive teams are quite common. What is your opinion on an all offensive team (maybe with 1 support poke)?
Thank you.
1. Cresselia is one of the best if not the best mixed wall.
2. Offensive teams do work(but only those which were designed well because of all the great stall teams going around)

Umbreon could be a mixed wall, with excellent defensive stats on both sides. However, his speed is a major let-down, allowing people opponents sweepers to power up while hes out. He can't give any damage. Speed is not that bad of an issue, its really the low offensive. Since he doesn't get Seismic Toss, etc, he doesn't pose any threat at all.

Umbreon could be a mixed wall, with excellent defensive stats on both sides. However, his speed is a major let-down, allowing people opponents sweepers to power up while hes out. He can't give any damage. Speed is not that bad of an issue, its really the low offensive. Since he doesn't get Seismic Toss, etc, he doesn't pose any threat at all.
oh yeah how could I have forgotten Umbreon thanks:toast:. Umbreon also posses one of the games most deadly combos in mean look+taunt+baton pass and actually has the defenses to pull it off. Umby however is forced to deal damage indirectly due to lack of offense he must rely on toxic to take down opponents.

Instead of having 2 walls dedicated to each side of the spectrum (E.G SkarmBliss), would using a Mixed wall still work and leave an open spot for another role? If so, which mixed walls handle both roles nicely?
It depends entirely on your team. Either way though, I doubt any mixed wall can fulfill the role of two seperate walls. Mixed walls such as Cresselia, although good, have their weaknesses. Another example would be Bronzong as a good mixed wall. He has his fire weakness and something like Heatran can kill him off. Heatran can kill off Skarmory eaisly as well, but it may have trouble with Blissey. Using two walls with different properties gives your team as a whole more versatility and overall a better way to function. So, to answer your question - using a mixed wall instead of a physical and special wall will not give you the same results and leave a spot open for another role.

Horny said:
Screw walls altogether - All offensive teams are quite common. What is your opinion on an all offensive team (maybe with 1 support poke)?
Offensive teams are good if built correctly around working with your immunities and resistences. It is also a good idea to run some support Pokemon to sleep common threats to the team and to lay down Stealth Rocks or Spikes to take the opponent out as quickly as possible. It is also not a bad idea to have one or two of your offensive Pokemon to have the ability Intimidate, to cause switches or hinder common physical threats to the team. It's more about resistences and immunities than it is full-blown walls like Skarmory or Blissey who can take hits regardless of resistences.

I play a lot of the 3 on 3 Standard DS battle game (think Battle Tower). So I prefer my walls to be mixed, mixed sweepers too.

I'm a big fan of Bronzong for the mixed wall and then Trick Room and Explode when things are looking desperate to bring out Rampardos or Octillery.

My offensive team uses Snorlax, Mesprit and Swampert as "walls." Rest/Sleep Talk Snorlax walls every special sweeper except for Gengar, and then Swampert (or Metagross on my team) can take care of him. Mesprit takes out Salamence, Garchomp and Gyarados, and Swampert just kills most leads in general.

Yes, Cresselia could indeed fill both wall roles, but she would for sure need counter support (Hariyama, Lucario, Hitmontop can call take out her biggest threats which are TTar and Weavile).

I started using a Cresellia as a wall, as well as a rest-sleep talk Milotic (praise be to Marvel Scale).

Cresellia isn't completely trained yet, though, so I have to fix that.

I like the route of all offensive team. However... I found Uxie to be a VERY good mixed wall that gets no attention.

I tried this set and it worked wonders:

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold / Calm (It doesn't matter)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Speed / 68 or 184 Def / 68 or 184 Special Defense (so they balance)
*Psychic
*U-Turn
*Yawn
*Stealth Rock

Very good on an offensive team... set up the rocks, yawn forces a switch while you U-turn to a counter for the set up. The EVs make both defenses at 343... so you can take a couple heavy hits. Psychic prevents people like Infernape (who for some god awful reason tries to set up on me) from living another day!

Other than that... too many walls means you almost HAVE to make a stall team to win. Less walls = less time for games!

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
1. A couple of good mixwallers are Swampert and Cresselia.

2. It can work, just as long as you don't have 6 fragile things so some bulky sweepers would work really well. Also, look out for common weaknesses.

*gasp* my cursereon is offended :( i swept teams with this guy

Without any walls, you'd need Pokes with a lot of resistances and decent defenses, like Crobat or Heatran. Maybe it could work, maybe, but I still see stuff like Jolly Dragon Dance Salamence raping defensively weak teams, outspeeding and OHKO'ing your whole team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)