A Growing Problem in C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockRocks

Banned deucer.
There has been a growing problem with analyses in the Copyediting stage. Writers are either...

- Not updating their title. This is really irritating for GP members who click on an analysis thinking it needs a check when it is actually done. I mean seriously, it takes 2 fucking seconds to change the title.

- Not implementing GP checks. I mean it's not that hard to do. You just remove the stuff in red, make sure to look at the comments so you don't miss anything, and then highlight the analysis and click "Text" so that all the additions are now in black and are consistent with the rest of the analysis. That's it! It should take maybe 5-10 minutes, 15 at the most. But time and time again I click on analyses and there's an AM or a GP check that has been sitting there, unused and unimplemented for a week. It slows down the process and makes it hard for GP members looking to stamp analyses.

- Not implementing AM checks. I've seen this a lot, especially with important people who think they're too good or too important to implement a petty AM check. AM checks can be just as good as GP checks, yet many times I see AM checks getting completely ignored by both GP members and writers alike. Again, it just takes an easy 5-10 minutes to implement and it helps catch a lot of errors, making it easier on GP members. And if you need proof that AM checks can be as good as GP checks, just look at one of LightningLuxray's or Alexandrine's checks. Seriously, those two are future GP members.

And there you have it. There is at least one of these problems on maybe 80% of analyses that are currently in Copyediting, and that's not an exaggeration. Hopefully by recognizing these problems we can help prevent / correct them and C&C will be a better place because of it.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi. I want to comment on this stuff, having been a long-time contributor in C&C.

Not updating titles: Yeah, it probably could be better, but we do all forget, and we do all have lives outside of Smogon. There's a lot of analysis writers who test more than one Pokemon and write more than one analysis, so yes, we will forget to update some titles.

Not implementing GP checks: Again, we are all busy, and we might forget to implement stuff. Remember, this is a volunteer-based website. No one is getting paid. We do this because it's fun. Not gonna lie, implementing a GP check can be tedious at times, especially when you have other Pokemon to test, ore than one GP check to implement, etc., so it's not always something that we look forward to. GP members are about some of the only people who check grammar for fun, and the rest either hate it or don't like it very much, so of course they wont want to implement something like that.

Not implementing AM Checks: Honestly, there are few good amcheckers. People improve, yes, but a lot of the new ones don't get all of the things we require to change in an analysis. Looking back at my first amchecks, they weren't perfect. They were terrible. It took me three tries to get on the GP team. I kept amchecking though. I had a lot of fun doing it. If an author has a problem with an amcheck, they can PM a GP member, but some might not know that.

These are not excuses as to why people aren't doing what they signed up for, but merely reasons as to why they could be delaying it a bit. Remember, all of the C&C forums have their corresponding mods, and it's their job to get them to update threads if it's taking too long. If it is, it will be reassigned.

Finally, your attitude in this thread is the exact opposite of how to express your concern and problems with C&C. If you wanted to, you could have PMed Oglemi your post (in a nicer tone, I hope) or cleaned it up and posted it in the SQSA thread. I don't think a thread for this is what this forum is for.

You have ben talking to horyzhnz, so I am going to tag him to see if he can help you with C&C even more.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
No matter how valid these complaints or arguments may be, you do not have the authority nor the clout to properly make a thread such as this.

Current contributors should still keep this mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)