A Look at D/P's Physical Walls

Looking at D/P I can't help but wonder how much will any if anything will be able to physical wall anymore. I've noticed alot of traditional physical walls being unable to take anything anymore. Add in the fact I do believe the new game is becoming heavily physical biased it becomes important to know who can wall well now.

Unless they're packing next to no weaknesses typewise they won't be able to wall properly since with the move type splits it essentially gives them twice the weakness. Throw in the undeniable fact everything hits harder now.

Heres the shortlist, including the new. However legendaries have been excluded, if you wish to add them to the list then feel free to do so.
But I'd really prefer to see the options in a more regular environment before we even include those of a more questionnable level.

Donphan-
Traditionally a Rapid Spinner and immensely powerful physical wall and attacker. However a few things make me question this now, physical water, grass and ice moves. Donphan always relied on that single typing and its resistances/neutrality/defense. Essentially its gained 3 weakness and no resistances since it never resisted anything on the special side.

HP 90, Def 120
Weakness: Grass, Water, Ice
Resistance: Rock, Poison
Immunities: Electric, Sandstorm

Claydol-
Okay lets get this straight, Claydol is more suited as a special wall but only happened to wall physically quite well due to its typing and trait. However its defense was never that high and HP was average at best. Its offenses aren't to shout about either but it did resist Rock/Ground/Fighting.
What is the biggest blow is that two pokemon it traditionally slaughtered, Tyrannitar and Gyarados now walk all over it with physical STAB Pursuit/Crunch and Waterfall respectively.
Also seeing its buffs are more special orientated now, I see its days as a physical wall outnumbered. However it can Stealth Rock now and packs its old Explosion number, so it may be changing roles now.

HP 60, Def 105
Weakness: Dark, Water, Ice, Grass, Ghost, Bug
Resistance: Rock, Psychic, Fighting
Immunities: Ground, SPikes, Sandstorm

Swampert-
Less of a physical wall in a traditional sense and just plain bulky. However its typing and stats let it double as a physical wall when needed. Now outside of the physical grass moves (Wood Hammer, Seed Bomb) which are rare enough as they are.
It doesn't have any varied weakness so to speak and therefore in that sense it walls even better than Claydol or Donphan now. Its resistant or neutral to most things, however I don't see it walling as well as before due to its neutrality and the fact most things hit harder now.

HP 100, Def 90
Weakness: Grass

Miltank-
You may not believe it but yes, Miltank IS a highly underrated physical wall/bulky normal as its stats would suggest. Outside of the one fighting weakness most physical attacks glance off it.

Now thing is I would actually consider Miltank possibly superceding even the likes of Donphan as a physical wall. Why? It doesn't simply wall, but its essentially the physical version of Blissey. It can heal off any damage it takes, essentially its walling will depend though on Swampert's performance.

If Swampert can wall somewhat than so can Miltank if not better, but that glaring fighting weakness may make you think twice.

Another major thing to consider is its the only thing besides Kangaskhan that can hit ghosts with STAB Normal attacks and Fighting moves and is one of the fastest walls around. Unlike most others its rare you can taunt the fat cow. Speed is entirely important as what it means is Miltank has the ability to recover HP before it gets finished off in a lot of cases.

HP 95, Def 105
Weakness: Fighting
Immunities: Ghost

Golem-
Unfortunately Golem was never a brilliant physical wall packing a fighting and ground weakness which upset its brilliant physical wall like stats. Golem is pretty much out of the ballpark for same reasons as Donphan.

HP 80, Def 130
Weakness: Grassx4, Waterx4, Fighting, Ground, Ice
Resistance: Rock, Poison, Flying, Normal, Fire

Skarmory-
Infamous as a physical wall, but how does it hold out now? Outside of the hard hitting Infighters and occasional Fire Fang Garchomp. Skarmory has little to worry about.
It will have trouble seeing theres more STAB physical hitters than before but of the two physical weakness it gained, neither is really physical or powerful to begin with.
But I can literally count the number of physical threats on one or two hands. Electivire, Garchomp, Rapidash...etc. Plus it still keeps its numerous resistances and immunities.

HP 65, Def 140
Weakness: Fire, Electric
Resistance: Dragon, Steel, Flying, Normal, Grass, Bug, Ghost, Psychic, Dark
Immunities: Poison, Ground, Sandstorm, Spikes

Forretress-
In regards to its fire weakness, I believe it will do alot better for similar reasons to Skarmory. However it lacks one or two resistances and one major immunity that Skarm enjoys. But given the seeming lack and nerfing of reliable walls this gen Forretress maybe one of the better candidates now.

HP 75, Def 140
Weakness: Fire
Resistance: Ghost, Bug, Steel, Dark, Dragon, Flying, Psychic, Ice, Grass
Immunities: Poison, Sandstorm

Dusknoir-
One of the top candidates for a wall, I'm just seeing special attacks becoming less common now so Dusknoir can afford to further boost its physical defense. Main thing he has going is Will O'Wisp. However it has a glaring weakness of Dark which Tyrannitar will enjoy.
The bad, its HP is still awful despite the boost. The good, its defenses went up too and it now actually has offense. Either way hes still one of the top walls for this gen.

HP 45, Def 135
Weakness: Dark, Ghost
Resistance: Poison, Bug
Immunities: Normal, Fighting

Cloyster-
Cloyster is a mixed blessing. On one hand he is one of THE walls with that defense. One the other, his typing sucks. Thankfully though electric attacks will be staying special for the most part and its for that reason I'll say Cloyster will play the exact same as Advance. Except, he can hit harder now thanks to both Avalanche and Skill Link. However the lack of immunities maybe an hinderance.

HP 50, Def 180
Weakness: Fighting, Electric
Resistance: Water, Ice
Immunities: Hail?

Steelix-
And this would be the other THE wall. However, the glaring ground, fighting and new gained fire and water weaknesses. I haven't checked Steelix out myself unfortunately so I don't know how well its defenses balance off against a Waterfall or Fire Punch/Fire Fang.

HP 75, Def 200
Weakness: Fire, Water, Fighting, Ground
Resistance: Ghost, Bug, Rock, Psychic, Dark, Dragon, Normal, Steel

Shuckle-
Okay I'll sum this up in one word. Acupressure. Shuckle can wall like no tomorrow, its been proven time and time again but problem is it could do nothing.
However Acupressure gives it a buff now which could be novelty or extremely deadly (Or not given its offenses). Regardless though is that with the need for walls, Shuckle is somewhat viable for a breather now especially since it still has Encore.

HP 20, Def 230
Weakness: Water, Steel
Resistance: Normal, Poison
Immunities: Sandstorm

Aggron-
A joke, thats all. Never could wall, never will. Its stats scream physical wall, but its weaknesses make Golem look on even playing field. If you can find room to be using Aggron as a wall than you should be using Steelix.

HP 70, Def 180
Weakness: Fightingx4, Groundx4, Water
Resistance: Dragon, Ghost, Psychic, Dark, Normal, Ice, Rock, Flying

Gorebyss/Huntail-
Now this needs a little explanation. But in my experience using these two, they are absolutely brilliant as dual Baton Passer/Physical wall. In a 1vs1 against a Metagross, almost everytime they've outwalled it by spamming Iron Defence than BP'ing it all off to a less unfortunate member of the team. The downside? New grass and electric weaknesses and their low HP.
Make your own opinions on these two.

HP 55, Def 105
Weakness: Grass, Electric
Resistance: Water, Ice, Steel
Immunities: None

Metagross-
Although its stats would let you think so, it has better things to do than be a sponge. Along with the fact it hates getting EQ'd. Regardless though Metagross is technically a all-round physical wall and not even EQ's are often enough to contend with it. So I can't see Fire Fang/Punchers faring much better.

HP 80, Def 130
Weakness: Fire, Ground
Resistance: Steel, Psychic, Rock, Dark, Dragon, Normal, Grass, Ice
Immunities: Sandstorm, Poison

Bastiodon-
See Aggron. If Aggron with higher stats can't wall than neither can this.

HP 60, Def 168

Magnezone/Probopass-
I'm gonna group these two together because the reason they can wall is the same. Magnet Rise. If you can find the turn to pull the move off, you have yourself something which has managed to free itself of its horrible Ground weakness. However, both still suffer from being fighting raped. Probopass more so. I would not really class these two as true physical walls unfortunately since they can't simply switch in and sponge.

Magnezone
HP 70, Def 115
Weakness: Groundx4, Fighting, Fire
Resistance: Dragon, Ghost, Psychic, Dark, Normal, Ice, Rock, Electric, Flying

Probopass
HP 60, Def 145

Umbreon-
Thankfully little Umby hasn't change much if at all since both its weaknesses have always been physical. Though this too has both its benefits and downfalls. It may have not changed, but the world around it has. Overall Umby has always been more special wall with a dash of physical.

HP 95, Def 110
Weakness: Fighting, Bug
Resistance: Ghost, Dark
Immunities: Psychic

Rhyperior-
Who would've thought Hard Rock would make this thing a complete monster. It has multiple weaknesses like Golem but they all virtually glance off it. I know for a fact it has already proven its worth within the D/P environment.

HP 115, Def 130
Resistance: Rock, Poison, Flying, Normal, Fire
Weakness: Grassx4, Waterx4, Fighting, Ground, Ice

Spiritomb-
No weaknesses. Great! 3 immunities! Whoo like Gengar! Non-existant HP and only very good defenses (._.). However what it does boast is both Will O'Wisp, offensive options and Hypnosis something even Dusknoir offers little of. This is still to be seen unfortunately as to whether or not it can wall, I actually have a tugging feeling it can't or it has better things to do. HP severely hurts Spiritomb as it does not have the powerhouse like stats of Dusknoir to compensate.
Oh and next person to suggest Foresight will get slapped, since who in their right mind would use it. At least choose Miracle eye...

HP 50, Def 108
Weakness: None
Resistance: Poison
Immunities: Psychic, Normal, Fighting

Tangrowth-
Tangrowth....is iffy. One one hand it has beautifully immense HP and defense. However it also comes with a boatload of weaknesses most notable being Flying but does have good support options including Reflect to further reinforce it and resistance to Ground and neutral to rock.
Before anyonementions Leafeon, if Tangrowth can't wall then don't expect Leafeon to either.

HP 100, Def 125
Weakness: Bug, Poison, Flying, Fire, Ice
Resistance: Grass, Electric, Water, Ground
Immunities: None

Hippowdon-
Okay in terms of being a wall it could be considered equivilent to Donphan. However it has something Donphan does not and that is a recovery move in Slack Off. The main issues with Donphan however still apply to Hippowdon.

HP 108, Def 118
Weakness: Grass, Water, Ice

Weezing-
Weezing was one of the best walls in Advance period. The only other pokemon besides Skarmory to boast no physical weaknesses. However Weezing is definitely one of the pokemon this gen which has been nerfed. The reason being is physical psychic attacks now, altough Weezing has the defense it does not have the HP to take a super effective hit at all. Will O'Wisp is still an option but you still have to get that WoW off to begin with.

Although the argument exists that there is only a few physical psychics, I need to point out that Zen Headbutt its a very commonly learnt move among even the non-psychics.

HP 65, Def 120
Weakness: Psychic
Resistance: Fighting, Poison, Bug, Grass
Immunities: Ground

Bronzong-
Although resistances galore and with excellent defensive traits. I pose a small question, what exactly can Bronzong wall that Metagross can't do better already? The answer is ground. However 116 defense is abit low for that HP base and I have heard some people mention already that Bronzong cannot hold out very well as a physical wall in D/P. Mainly due to the likes of Heracross who can hit it for neutral with 120 STAB attacks.

However it can sleep with Hypnosis, the only other walls to offer this are Tangrowth and Spiritomb.

HP 67, Def 116
Weakness: Fire (Only with Levitate), Ground (Only with Heatproof)
Resistance: Steel, Psychic, Rock, Dark, Dragon, Normal, Grass, Ice
Immunities: Sandstorm, Poison, Ground (Only with Levitate)

Gliscor-
Gliscor to sum up is probably the most threatening physical wall next to Rhyperior and Metagross. The payback this thing can give is a entirely different level altogether compared to some. However, Gliscor is highly highly highly vulnerable to both water and ice attacks which are absolutely everywhere in physical or special form.

HP 75, Def 125
Weakness: Ice x4, Water
Resistance: Poison, Fighting, Bug
Immunities: Electric, Spikes, Sandstorm, Ground

If anyone can suggest more possible options then please do. Oh yeah and the obligatory 'discuss'.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
How is everyone missing one of the best physical "walls" of this generation? Hippowdon!

I suspect walls to be more about resistances than anything else, now.

Yea I was going to mention our Hippo Friend, Big HP Base Good Physical Defense + Slack Off = Beastly Wall and not only that it can attack too...

To try to add a bit to the conversation, you also forgot Bronzong which only has one weakness (Fire or Ground depending on ability basically most choose levitate so with that in mind).

It Resists Normal, Steel, Ice, Grass, Flying, Psychic, *QuakeSlide* (thats a big one for any physical wall), Dragon and is Immune to Poison.

This is pretty much what Bronzong does, Walls... and it does it very well I might add. Base 67 HP is maybe a bit low but remember it does resist a lot and with 116s in BOTH defenses, you can make it either a Physical or Special Wall, or a generic wall (i suppose). Bonus Points for being a Wall that can use Stealth Rock + Pseudo-hazing move Hypnosis and I will even a mention to Confuse Ray.

It would be great A Look to the D/P Special Walls too xD
In answer to that, I could. But I can't see much I could cover that hasn't already and in my opinion physical walls are gonna be abit more vital this time round than special walls. But we'll see what people think of this topic first.

Torkoal and Shelgon! j/k

But seriously...where is Gliscor? 125 base def and EQ immune doesn't pass as a wall anymore?

And if we're mentioning things with awful typing anyway: Leafeon and Drapion

Yes, but it always is good to know all the options. We have Blissey, Togekiss, Crescelia, etc...

Miltank, Golem, Cloyster, Shuckle, Agrron, Gorebyss, Huntail, Bastiodon, Probopass, and maybe Umbreon and Spiritomb aren´t going to be used.

Torkoal and Shelgon! j/k

But seriously...where is Gliscor? 125 base def and EQ immune doesn't pass as a wall anymore?

And if we're mentioning things with awful typing anyway: Leafeon and Drapion
I'll add Gliscor, that slipped my mind too.

Leafeon I already kinda mentioned under Tangrowth, theres nothing Leafeon can really do that Tangrowth can't already.

I´ve made a list of the special walls. Maybe I´ve forgotten some Pokemon:
Blissey, Cresselia, Mantine, Regice, Shuckle, Milotic, Claydol, Suicune, Snorlax, Dusknoir, Togekiss, Dragonite, Roserade, Bastiodon, Bronzorg, Spiritomb, Gallade, Gardevoir, Probopass

Blanket Physical/Special Walls are nearly pointless in this gen. Previously, you could take advantage of knowing that a particular type of attacker will either:

A) Not have an attack you're weak to.
or B) Not have the stats to hurt you much even if they do.

With the increasing number of mixed sweepers, and the fact that attackers can now take advantage of ALL types of attacks, the only way to truly "wall" will be resistances, predictions, and scouting.

You said you wouldn't mention legendaries here, but I think Registeel and Regirock aren't bad physical walls aswell, so a little note would be nice. Especially Registeel can wall CB Tyranitar, if not switched in an earthquake and earthquakes aren't as difficult to predict. Regirock in sandstorm is a pretty hard allround wall too. Both have 75/100 Base Atk b00m for an instant kill.

Lickilicky probably should get a mention, since it only has 1 weakness (Fighting) and one Immunity (Ghost). 110 Base HP with 95 Base Defense for that kind of HP is certainly worth a mention (basically Miltank's in HP and Defense but reversed). I think Lickitung got Wish through NYPC or some such so it can heal itself as well so its got that going for it too (I think).

cradily should also get a mention though I guess he's better for a special wall (sandstorm boost and recover helps shrug off ice beams)

Walls will really be mostly about resistances this generation probably, given how much damage so much does to, well, so many Pokemon. I'm definitely a fan of Hippowdon and feel that he's a better wall than Donphan is any day, with the only perk to Donphan being you needn't build a team around sandstorm if you opt for Donphan.

Donphan's movepool is totally a valid reason to use him over Hippowdon, though. Knock Off, Rapid Spin, and Ice Shard are amazing options that Hippowdon doesn't get.

The only one I didn't read all the way through >_<; sorry

Synthesis, WishPassing, and Charm is no good?
Issue with that is Umbreon has much more HP and can do the same thing too but has a much better typing.

Following on something a few mentioned, I believe too resistances seem like the way to go. But with that said that would essentially throw both Forretress and Skarmory on the top of the pile boasting resistance to 10 types in the game and maybe Scizor to an extent.

Torterra walls Tyranitar nicely.

Also you seem to underestimate some physical attackers a lot. You state how Skarm is only countered by physical attackers with SE stab attacks (infernape etc), yet miss out the fact that CB-tar can often 2hko with Stone Edge :x

Matt

Maybe monads might not matter
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Huntail and Gorebyss are 100% not physical walls. Maestro Arena even listed Pokemon such as Gallade and Roserade as special walls. I'm hoping people will get to know what the term "wall" means before suggesting any Pokemon such as those again..

Donphan and Hippowdon are fine walls despite their weaknesses. Tangrowth, Breloom, and Torterra are the only common users of physical Grass moves. Gyarados is the only common user of physical Water moves. Weavile, Electivire, Gyarados, and Mamoswine are the common users of physical Ice attacks. Also, Celebi was a premier wall in Adv and had seven weaknesses, one a 4x weak. Resistances are useful, but weaknesses are not deadly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)