A new exciting hail team, and my first RMT in at least 100 years

Another team. I tried not to make it a wall of text. Have fun rating, I know you will.

Frosty
(Abomasnow)
(♀) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP/76 Spd/20 SAtk/160 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Blizzard
- Leech Seed
- Rock Slide
- HP fire

After a few days of fairly solid testing, I came up with this set, which works awesomely.

The special defence EVs and that occa berry means I don't have to pass to heatran on round one, which is pretty damn helpful. The element of surprise is great, and I hate having swampert out there early. It's over before it starts.

I decided on it being really slow so that snow warning runs last over hippo and tar.

Rock Slide and HP fire make him a great antilead, albeit a slow one. The highlight is that rockslide is a 3HKO on standard bulkygyara, when they'll probably taunt on the first turn.

Oink
(Mamoswine)
(♂) @ Brightpowder
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 SpDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Curse
- Substitute
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Sub + Curse makes him the shit, while those 2 STABS make him a god. As a counter counter argument against obligatory gyara rape comment, I would like to remind you of the coolness curse. Sub stops taunt IIRC, and I can curse up like its 1999. I think I need an alternative to earthquake, but It's been OK so far.

Yakuza Joe
(Hariyama)
(♂) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 76 HP/180 Atk/252 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Whirlwind
- Force Palm

Leviathan
(Gyarados)
(♀) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP/56 Atk/136 Def/104 Spd
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

It's my main gyara counter, and can tank out skarm well enough.

SuperStar
(Starmie)
(♀) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP/216 Spd/156 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Focus Punch and Sucker Punch Add some great physical presence, but this gets fucked over by passive damage more often than not.

Me So Horny
(Blissey)
(♀) @ Leftovers
EVs: 6 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Calm Mind
- Soft Boiled
- Hidden Power [Ground]

I'll expand on HP [Ground], which is omnipresent in all my blissey sets nowadays. It helps against specscario, heatran, jirachi, and alot of special threats which blissey just can't beat sometimes.

So then;

*Why only 2 ice types?*

Because ice is a poor type. Sure, it's great to have on a team. On starmie w/ ice beam perhaps. It's just awful having more than 2, because the common weaknesses become a little too much.

Now rate my team please. :heart:

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why are you running speed on a curse set O_o you should shift those to hp, the ability to tank hits and avoid them all together 20% of the time is pretty nice.

oh and blizzard is also a 3hko on gyarados (from my experience at least) so there's almost no point in running rock slide on abomasnow.

stone edge gyarados isn't really a solid gyarados counter at all, especially if your opponent is running stone edge :/

you could use a spinner somewhere, because your team really doesn't like any form of residual damage especially since you only have 2 pokemon that have recovery (with occa on snow and brightpowder on mamoswine and hail cancelling out lefties recovery on the rest of the team you literally only have 2 pokemon that can recover damage unless you count leech seed recovery)

Oink needs more HP EVs for maximum Sub effect.
Also, Brightpowder is banned.
No it isn't. :-\

I see many deaths in the future, on your side, btw.

That's awfully helpful.

But, fyi, taunt goes through sub.

That actually is helpful.
why are you running speed on a curse set O_o you should shift those to hp, the ability to tank hits and avoid them all together 20% of the time is pretty nice.

Done.

oh and blizzard is also a 3hko on gyarados (from my experience at least) so there's almost no point in running rock slide on abomasnow.

Fix'd.

stone edge gyarados isn't really a solid gyarados counter at all, especially if your opponent is running stone edge :/

True. However, I do have hariyama and gengar to take care of him.

you could use a spinner somewhere, because your team really doesn't like any form of residual damage especially since you only have 2 pokemon that have recovery (with occa on snow and brightpowder on mamoswine and hail cancelling out lefties recovery on the rest of the team you literally only have 2 pokemon that can recover damage unless you count leech seed recovery)
Blissey does have softboiled, but I understand what you're saying. I could add wish support, I guess. What would be good? I'm thinking claydol / starmie > Gengar. Help?

argh! how dare you use bright powder on my baby! i am fuming! ok maybe i'm not, but damn i hate that thing. nice mamo set. sub curse looks pretty cool.

can i ask you a question? you think you are using hail enough to justify making a hail team? i'm not being a dick by the way, i can't build hail teams and i want to hear your opinion.

argh! how dare you use bright powder on my baby! i am fuming! ok maybe i'm not, but damn i hate that thing. nice mamo set. sub curse looks pretty cool.

can i ask you a question? you think you are using hail enough to justify making a hail team? i'm not being a dick by the way, i can't build hail teams and i want to hear your opinion.
What? I'm using hail as a medium to wall-break by getting rid of leftovers and to try and stomp out tyranitar and hippo.

I don't really understand what you're saying, but I'll say that hail teams need no more than 2 ice types, and I tried to think of 4 things that would complement that nicely. The real star of the show is mamo, who can hax like a pro late-game. Gar, Gyara, Yama, and Bliss just add to that. They're there for support.

I think I asked your question, yet I probably didn't. :-[

Personally, I would use Starmie over Gengar because Starmie can also run Life Orb but it can Spin and Recover off the damage from Life Orb. The Life Orb recoil + Hail damage can add up on Gengar over time. And who doesn't love Natural Cure? xD

Personally, I would use Starmie over Gengar because Starmie can also run Life Orb but it can Spin and Recover off the damage from Life Orb. The Life Orb recoil + Hail damage can add up on Gengar over time. And who doesn't love Natural Cure? xD
I would run a spinstar, but that would be better. LO recoil is a bitch to deal with. Fix'd.

Another team. I tried not to make it a wall of text. Have fun rating, I know you will.

Frosty
(Abomasnow) (♀) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP/76 Spd/20 SAtk/160 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Blizzard
- Leech Seed
- Rock Slide
- HP fire
I think Abomasnow is a horrible lead. 9 times out of 10 times you will come across something that beats you. I suggest leading with Gyarados. Also Occa Berry won't save it from a good fire attack. 2x damage is still pretty high, and is pretty much always a 2HKO (if not OHKO) since you won't be taking another one once the berry is gone. You might as well give him Leftovers.

Oink
(Mamoswine) (♂) @ Brightpowder
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 SpDef
- Curse
- Substitute
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
I like the mix Life Orb Mamoswine for the Skarmory 2HKO. Life Orb is cool because it OHKOs any dragon except intimidate Salamence. Although it might OHKO since you're Adamant. But if the Curse set works for you, use it.

Yakuza Joe
(Hariyama) (♂) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 76 HP/180 Atk/252 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Whirlwind
- Force Palm

Leviathan
(Gyarados) (♀) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP/56 Atk/136 Def/104 Spd
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Use this as your lead! Also it won't tank Skarmory. Skarm will just spam Drill Peck until it figures out you don't have Taunt. Then it will Roost until it gets bored and Whirlwinds you away. The actuall set is cool though. Just don't expect to stop Skarmory with it.

SuperStar
(Starmie) (♀) @ Life Orb
EVs: 136 HP/216 Spd/156 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
I know how great Blizzard is, but Thunderbolt might help you with Gyarados more. The rest of your team can do heavy damage to Garchomp anyway. Surf 2HKOs them I believe. Of course if you don't have Gyarados troubles Blizzard is fine. But I think you to worry more about Gyarados then Garchomp. Life Orb is a good item, but in the hail it will strip off 16% of your HP each time you attack. MAYBE Leftovers will work better.

Me So Horny
(Blissey) (♀) @ Leftovers
EVs: 6 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Calm Mind
- Soft Boiled
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Ah I hate CM Blissey. It works fine.

So then;

*Why only 2 ice types?*

Because ice is a poor type. Sure, it's great to have on a team. On starmie w/ ice beam perhaps. It's just awful having more than 2, because the common weaknesses become a little too much.

Now rate my team please. :heart:
You have Gyarados troubles. I HIGHLY recomend Thunderbolt > Blizzard on Starmie. Even without Blizzard, you can still scare off Garchomps since they will asume you are loaded with Ice. Infernape might give you problems since your Starmie will be taking a lot of damage each turn.

Thanks a bunch blue harvest.

LO is leftover from gar, I meant to use leftovers. ^.^;;

My mamo set could have been explained better, so I will try.

I don't like LO because of the lack of recovery overall on this team, and It's not an OHKO, but I can just curse. It's all good.

Also, hariyama is for gyara/tar/weavile/ problems.

Tbolt would be best on starmie.

I think I can let this thread die. Finally.

I didn't mean anything against Hariyama. Its a great poke.

On Mamoswine, I guess it works. Skarmory will just Whirlwind you though. Of course, not every team has a Skarmory.

Actually, I never played advance comptetively...

Hell, my team of Mewtwo, Tentacruel, Zapdos, Moltres, Tyranitar, and Dragonite was "amazing" to me back then.

Ah well. You have Starmie for Skarmory. No problems there, although it could be annoying with Whirlwind.

Actually, I never played advance comptetively...

Hell, my team of Mewtwo, Tentacruel, Zapdos, Moltres, Tyranitar, and Dragonite was "amazing" to me back then.

When I got it first got ruby, I couldn't get my head around the physical special split.

Also, that team is the ducks nuts of advance teams. RMT plox?

Ah well. You have Starmie for Skarmory. No problems there, although it could be annoying with Whirlwind.

Yeah. I can surf the hell out of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)