A potential discovery regarding Counter and Mirror Coat.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Try something with Serene Grace that has a chance of freezing against a Mirror Coater with Lum Berry.

Tentacruel also doesn't have Serene Grace. The best option I can think of is still Serene Grace Blissey vs. Wobbuffet.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Tentacruel also doesn't have Serene Grace. The best option I can think of is still Serene Grace Blissey vs. Wobbuffet.
He meant Ice Beam Serene Grace Blissey versus Mirror Coat Tentacruel.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Gotta test it now. Just need a lv100 Tentacruel with Mirror Coat and a lv20 Blissey with Ice Beam and Serene Grace...

EDIT: Tentacruel got frozen, but didn't immediately thaw out. End of testing?

X-Act

No, the test should have been with Tentacruel holding a Lum Berry (or the berry that cures Freeze), and see if Mirror Coat works after being frozen and defrosted immediately or not. Sorry for the confusion!

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
In the first turn, the Tentacruel kept frozen, as I didn't give him a Lum Berry. However, in the following turn, he thawed out... and the Mirror Coat failed. So, it's not a Shoddy glitch.

X-Act

Okay, but can you please test it in the case of when a Pokemon freezes and is defrosted in the same turn please? :(

This is interesting though, as this could mean that things like Vital Throw would also miss on the turn the Pokemon uses it as it thaws out...

Thanks for running the tests Mario. The results so far are good, but as X-Act said, more definitive ones would be awesome too. I'm gonna go look for some more implications to this.

Yeah, whoever tests it, make sure not to use Lum. The game function being tested is first-turn thaw, which is different than Lum's instant and surefire status cure-all ( I believe). I think that Coat would succeed in the event of a first-turn thaw.

Test it by giving a Wobafet a lum berry and spamming icebeam vs him. Ingame. Right?
Here's what you do. lvl 50ish wob against a lvl 1 newly hatched (generic non-dark icebeam learner). The reflected damage wont be much. You should get like 5-6 reflected beams out of each baby.

Dunsparce can learn Ice Beam.

Lum Berry instant status cure is the same as a first turn thaw because the Pokemon still has to be frozen. If Lum Berry prevented status it would be different.

If what I'm thinking is correct, the one-turn freezing effect has an impact on moves that are affected by negative priority, i.e. Counter, Mirror Coat, Vital Throw, Revenge, etc.

How are Lum and thawing the same? Lum automatically cures ensuring an attack, while to attack while frozen there is thaw function that happens. The question is whether the thaw function happens before negative priority moves. I don't know the mechanics that well, where all the checks and stuff are, but it just seems like Lum is signficantly different than thawing, espcially for the purpose of an attack succeeding or not.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In the first turn, the Tentacruel kept frozen, as I didn't give him a Lum Berry. However, in the following turn, he thawed out... and the Mirror Coat failed. So, it's not a Shoddy glitch.
Even in the same turn, it shouldn't matter much. I'm sticking with this conclusion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)