XY Ubers A Quick RMT Before XY Is Done

I have been putting off posting my team because I personally feel like I need to keep working on it. But I figure since OR/AS is coming out very soon, this will be the only time to get the proper feedback on the team. A little background on the team: I came into the Ubers metagame relatively late, maybe like early to mid September, and I did not know much outside Geomancy Xerneas so I read up on all the articles that were in the Ubers room intro (very handy btw). From those links I started construction on a team.

These were the starting three mons. I have always been a fan of Ho-oh and since it has does a decent job at checking Xerneas I figured I could give it a try. I found this core in one of the links in the room intro and I figured it would give me a nice starting place as it had a rock setter/phaser, a wallbreaker and a means of hazard removal. Looking at the three mons in front of me, I knew I would have a hard time dealing with Kyogre. Enter my fourth mon:

Zekrom seemed like a really good fit for the team since it did help with my Kyogre weakness. Not only can it OHKO ogre, but it also allows me to switch among the rest of the mons I have so far in case i don't want to risk a speed tie. A quick switch to Ho-oh or Arceus-Water to take the Ice Beam and then something has to take a Brave Bird or Will-o-Wisp. It also can switch in on a Thunder, quad resist it then Volt Switch out or Bolt Strike for the KO. But the functions of Zekrom are things I am assume you know so we can move on. Looking at the team from this perspective, I noticed that, if rocks are up, I almost immediately lose to GeoXern. Enter my fifth mon:

Mega Mawile is the mon that I chose to add seeing as how Specially Defensive MegaMaw can live any move from GeoXern even after rocks and OKHO with Iron Head. This may seem odd since there are many other mons that can handle Xerneas, but I also wanted to try MegaMaw in Ubers. The Steel/Fairy typing is also very helpful, it can hinder the opponents ability to lock themselves into Outrage, making my Zekrom weakness that much easier to handle as I now put the opposition in a position where their Zekrom is rendered useless with the combination of Groudon and MegaMaw. Mega Mawile also has access to the priority Sucker Punch, which is something this team heavily lacks and, to an extent, required. I decided that I wanted another answer to Kyogre that could double-count as an offensive threat. Enter standard.Ogre-check:

How unbelievable, a Palkia to check Kyogre? It is one of the best mons for the task and it fit well within the team as I also wanted something else that could switch into a banded Sacred Fire from Ho-oh. Palkia also gave me another mon to carry a Fire move since Steel types are very relevant. I should not really need to explain Palkia as a choice since, again, I believe you know what it can do. As I was creating this team I was simultaneously trying check as many things as possible while also maintaining offensive pressure. This is the product, a team that can handle many of the offensive threats out there and emerge victorious.

I won't go into too much detail about testing, since I only changed EV spreads for the most part, but I will talk briefly about Palkia and little more in depth about Arceus-Water. I started the Palkia off with Assault Vest. I quickly found out that Xerneas loves to switch in on Palkia (especially when you are nice enough to have sun up to nerf your own STAB) and Geomancy up. I changed to Lustrous Orb and added Thunder Wave. Very Standard. Arceus-Water now, I really do not like this mon, it fits nicely on the team. I tried Arceus-Grass in its place to handle Ogre better, but it opened up a hole for Mega Blaziken to WRECK my team. I then thought Giratina-Origin would work well and also give me something to reliably take out Mega Gengar, stop Mega Blaziken and another form of priority couldn't hurt, but then I found myself missing the recovery and then it opened up a Palkia weak hole in my team. So here sits Arceus-Water, still.

Enough rambling on about team construction, I applaud you if you read it all. Now on to the team itself:

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Alright, so we will start will Groudon. Groudon stops Ekiller, MM2X, Ho-oh, Zekrom, Rayquaza, and Mega Blaziken (before set up). The set is pretty standard. EdgeQuake for the good coverage, even a burned Stone Edge can do over half to standard Ho-oh. Speaking of Ho-oh, Stealth Rock is on here because hazards are super necessary and Ho-oh is a problem for this team, as it is for many teams, and having it come in and lose half its health is oh so great. The residual damage on some pokes and the potential to break sashes is fantastic. The last move is for set up mons like Ekiller, or for those people who set up Xern against this bad boy. Only Life Orb Ekiller can two hit KO, but it won't be able to since Roar swaps it out. It can also be done with other physical set up sweepers. This does put a seemingly large amount of weight on Groudon's shoulders since not much else on the team appreciates taking physical hits. That depends on the mon in the situation. The EVs are spread this way so that you can still maintain bulk as well as potentially outspeed Ho-oh and KO with Stone Edge when they come in before rocks and be able to outspeed other Groudon so that the Ho-oh on this team has an easier time putting in work. The only reason I am using Groudon over Landorus-T is because of Roar.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Atk / 52 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Banded Ho-oh is one of my favorite mons to use. Defensively, it can handle MM2X and Mega Blaziken (if they lack a Rock move), Xerneas, and Ekiller to an extent. Offensively, it is a great wallbreaker destroying most stall mons outside Gliscor and the occasional Gastrodon, it can also trade with Mega Gengar if you want it to that is. Ho-oh is also the mon to lead with against clear Spike Stacking teams as you can burn with Sacred Fire and stop their efforts and be able to Defog almost immediately after. Sun boosted Sacred Fire is never a thing something wants to switch in to, and those that can can't take a Brave Bird. Scarf or specs Kyogre takes 96.7 - 114% on switch in and rest talk or Twave ogre takes 81.1 - 95.5%. Standard Palkia takes 94 - 110.8%. Standard Giratina-O gets 2HKO'd by Brave Bird. I think you get the idea. RestTalk Giratina is one of the only things that wants to take the risk of coming in. Sleep Talk is there for Darkrai and Smeargle, after a Volt Switch into a Dark Void or Spore Ho-oh gets a KO while not losing any momentum. I know the EVs on this look super weird, but this allows Ho-oh to live any hit from Xerneas from full while also being able to outspeed any Groudon that runs the same speed as the Groudon on this team. That may be overkill to be so paranoid about super speedy defensive Groudons like mine, but I am so this is the result. The attack investment makes sure that Ho-oh can still get those KOs that it needs to. Some EVs from speed can be taken and given to attack for guaranteed OHKO's on some mons.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 160 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

Alright, this thing now. This thing is used to stop Kyogre, Groudon, and Ho-oh if it is not locked in on Brave Bird. This is fairly standard for Defog Arceus. The EVs let you outspeed Palkia when it isnt scarfed, while also maintaining bulk. The HP EVs aren't maxed out so you can come in on 3 layers of spikes (which should never happen, bust just in case) 5 times. Judgement is the attack move of choice here because it is the most viable attack option. Will-o-Wisp is there as residual and also to weaken the physical capabilities of sweeping mons like Ekiller, MegaKhan, Rayquaza, etc. Defog is a must since there is a Ho-oh on this team and Spikes and Toxic Spikes are really annoying for this team. Recover is to keep Arceus around so that you can Defog and burn things and handle Kyogre better, as well as Palkia.

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Volt Switch
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Bolt Strike

Now for this black beauty. Zekrom is used as a pivot and wallbreaker. It poops on Kyogre, Lugia, Ho-oh, Palkia, Rayquaza, Mega Gengar, and all Mewtwos. If you are feeling particularly risky you can even switch this in to some mons to apply more pressure and to get a Volt Switch off. This is a very standard Zekrom set. Running Naughty nature allows you to maximize the damage output. Running Naive nature is also a possibility as you will almost always win the "speed ties" with other Zekroms or ScarfOgres, since they often run the attack boosting moves. I ran that for a bit, but then realized I wanted the damage more in some cases. It is the dealers choice on the nature. The moves are very standard. Running Draco lets you get a lot of damage off on Groudon and Landorus-T as they switch in to take an Electric move or an Outrage, and it allows you to OHKO a Rayquaza without having to lock yourself into Outrage. I would say it is a surprise to the opponent but the opponent should know that Draco Meteor is a common move to have on Zekrom. Honestly, I almost never go for Draco. Pulling a double to either of the water types on this team is almost always more beneficial.

Mawile-Mega (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 224 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance/Toxic

Mega Mawile, probably the most unique mon on this team. This is pretty much only on here for Xerneas, but it can also handle Mewtwo and MM2Y, it is also this teams main check to Lifo Orb Yveltal and other Dark types in general. The EVs are spread to be able to take any one hit from Xerneas and KO with Iron Head. There is even a chance to live a hit after rocks. Focus Blast and Hidden Power Fire do the same amount to MegaMaw so there is not much to worry about when it comes to what that coverage move is. Sucker Punch is a great option to have because priority is always a great thing. Normal Ekiller can't do much with Espeed so it has to rely on Earthquake to do the damage, so you can either Sucker Punch or go for a STAB move as you live the hit. Sucker Punch also does at least 43% to scarf and specs Kyogre. Sucker Punch is a great move on MegaMaw because it gives it the option to get off huge damage before it goes down. The last slot goes to either SD or Toxic. Swords Dance can be helpful in a late game type of scenario and Toxic is nice to have when people send in they're checks like Groudon or Landorus-T. The regular Mawile form can have either ability. I have found both Hyper Cutter and Intimidate helpful. I run Hyper Cutter so that Landorus-T can't Intimidate on the before-mega switch in. Since you mostly bring this in on Xerneas, the ability isn't too much of an importance.

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast

Last but not least, Palkia. This is another thing for Kyogre as well as Groudon, Ho-oh (kinda), and it is one of two mons on this team that is okay with a potential Will-o-Wisp. This is also a very standard and basic mon on this team. Spacial Rend and Hydro Pump are the STABs of choice. Draco Meteor is not helpful when you are trying to take out things because it gives you that -2 and Surf just doesn't have the damage output that Hydro does, even if the accuracy is better. Thunder Wave is helpful against Xerneas that wants to set up on you, and it can even paralyze MegaGar that doesn't use Taunt, or if you can catch it on a switch. Fire Blast hits Ferrothorn, Scizor/Mega Scizor, Aegislash, MegaMaw and other Steel types. That's about all I got for this guy.

No team is perfect. This team does have its flaws, here are some weaknesses with the team:

Mega Gengar: If played correctly, this can cause a huge problem for the team. However, outside of Arceus-Water, every mon can take out MegaGar. If you can predict the MegaGar to come in on the Arceus and switch to the least needed team member than you can trade off, potentially.
Mega Blaziken: if it sets up and SD it can be game, if it lacks Stone Edge then Ho-oh is the appropriate answer.

Mega Lucario: Groudon can live a Close Combat from full, and Zekrom can outspeed. Without Groudon, though, you need to pick a fodder before you go into Zekrom, unless they lack Stone Edge for some reason, then Ho-oh is an easy stop.

Double Dance Groudon/Landorus-T: If Groudon is gone its GG, plain and simple.

Some Hazard Based Teams: This is basically for teams that spread Toxic Spikes and Spikes separately. This is a problem because that puts more pressure on Arceus to Defog. Most teams don't do this, but when they do, it is annoying.

Some Stall: Though Ho-oh, Zekrom, Mega Mawile, and Palkia can break through most stall. Heatran+Blissey+Ghost Type+Fairy Type is very annoying and requires either near perfect predictions or a misplay from the opponent.

***If you see anymore weaknesses with the team, please let me know. I am still doing a lot of testing.***

Thanks for reading and for any input you have! :]

If you want to see how the team works you can look at Uber Replays under the name Dread Plate. And all battles I have had in Ubers (not counting Ubers Suspect) were with this team, if you check me out on PS

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Splash Plate,

This is a pretty nice team. The build is mostly solid. Ground types in general are a bit annoying, with the lack of a resist. Mawile isn't the most reliable Xerneas check here in this case, largely because it can be pressured easily and with a slight bit of prior damage, rocks+Xerneas wins. The last issue I have with the team is that Palkia and Waterceus on sun teams are quite redundant. Generally, sun teams tend to run either one of these, but not both, because Kyogre is overlapped a lot. Shadow Tag is annoying, but sun with Ho-Oh tends to struggle with this in general.

In terms of fixing this, I think running Scizor and Xerneas over Palkia and Mawile would be ideal for this team. It also helps take pressure off of Groudon to check Ekiller. Pursuit Scizor at least limits the damage Shadow Tag does to this team, but it will always be an unfortunate matchup for this team. You could run Superpower to help more versus Ekiller, or SD if you want a cleaning option. Toxic is viable as well. If you want, you could try Lando-T over Groudon, but note that there are positives and negatives to this. With Lando-T, you get to check Blaziken, Luke, and Ground-types better, but you lose sun and are weaker to Ekiller. I'll leave it up to you how you want to fill this slot. Mewtwo ends up a tad annoying, but you have a scarfer to threaten it out, and Xerneas should be able to switch moderately well, same with Waterceus so if you play well it shouldn't be unbeatable.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Pursuit
- Superpower / Swords Dance / Toxic

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 92 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Aromatherapy

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / U-Turn

OPTIMIZATION:
Not much to say here, the spreads are all pretty good. You could hit some entry hazard numbers but it's not necessary.

Good luck!

Hey Splash Plate,

This is a pretty nice team. The build is mostly solid. Ground types in general are a bit annoying, with the lack of a resist. Mawile isn't the most reliable Xerneas check here in this case, largely because it can be pressured easily and with a slight bit of prior damage, rocks+Xerneas wins. The last issue I have with the team is that Palkia and Waterceus on sun teams are quite redundant. Generally, sun teams tend to run either one of these, but not both, because Kyogre is overlapped a lot. Shadow Tag is annoying, but sun with Ho-Oh tends to struggle with this in general.

In terms of fixing this, I think running Scizor and Xerneas over Palkia and Mawile would be ideal for this team. It also helps take pressure off of Groudon to check Ekiller. Pursuit Scizor at least limits the damage Shadow Tag does to this team, but it will always be an unfortunate matchup for this team. You could run Superpower to help more versus Ekiller, or SD if you want a cleaning option. Toxic is viable as well. If you want, you could try Lando-T over Groudon, but note that there are positives and negatives to this. With Lando-T, you get to check Blaziken, Luke, and Ground-types better, but you lose sun and are weaker to Ekiller. I'll leave it up to you how you want to fill this slot. Mewtwo ends up a tad annoying, but you have a scarfer to threaten it out, and Xerneas should be able to switch moderately well, same with Waterceus so if you play well it shouldn't be unbeatable.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Pursuit
- Superpower / Swords Dance / Toxic

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 92 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Aromatherapy

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / U-Turn

OPTIMIZATION:
Not much to say here, the spreads are all pretty good. You could hit some entry hazard numbers but it's not necessary.

Good luck!

Thank you for these suggestions. I have reworked the team to incorporate these changes to test them out. I very much appreciate your feedback.

Hey Splash Plate nice team you got there, I can't say I agree with haxiom's suggestions at all to be honest, the only one I could agree with is Landorus-T over Groudon as strong Ground types are a problem however, I believe it is important to keep Mega Mawile on this team just because it makes the team more unique. If you have issues with Shadow Tag users trapping your Defog Arceus that's fine, I have a very nice suggestion to make. You should try Defog Arceus-Ghost over Defog Arceus-Water. As haxiom said, Palkia and Arceus-Water are kinda reduntant so it's not very optimal to use both on the same team. Arceus-Ghost can also aid Landorus-T with the checking Ekiller part with the help of Will-O-Wisp. It can also check stuff like Mega Kangaskhan and Mewtwo, which is important since you wouldn't rely on checking Mewtwo with a Choice Scarf user or priority, Arceus-Ghost gives you a direct switch-in. Anyways, a solid spread for Arceus-Ghost would be: 248 HP / 140 Def / 116 Spd, it allows you to outspeed stuff like Palkia and Garchomp, as well as speed creeping some Arceus formes with a similar spread. I don't think I need to talk about the moves as you seem to have a very nice idea of what a support Arceus does so yeah.

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 116 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

Nice team, a piece of advice tho, always try to keep the offensive momentum whenever you see a potential Geomancy Xerneas, it can be dealt with it can become a big threat when setting up on stuff like Landorus-T.

:]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)