1. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

A replay section on site?

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by mien, Mar 18, 2013.

1. mien

mien
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

I think it would be amazing if smogon had a section where one can easily access and upload battle replays. Sorry if this has been suggested before!

Not sure how much work it would take but i think this site for warcraft 3 has a great format with the following features.
    - Marking replays which are considered the best by the smogon staff(Best pick for this would probably be the current and past smogon tournament directors)
    - Having the ability to sort the replays by metagame/staff/rating
    - Giving members the option to rate the game (i guess the 'like this' feature would be the best here)
    - Having the ability to make battle logs temporarily private for weeks/a month before going public to prevent counterteaming.

Likewise having this section on site would prevent logs of great battle getting lost forever, which currently happens way too often.
  2. Nachos

Nachos Just who is the Coon?
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I like this idea.
  3. kd24

kd24 yo daddy musta been a drug dealer? why, cuz you're dope
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

this is a really good idea, especially the rate a game part, especially if we can have a search that allows you to view highest rated, most viewed, etc
  4. Exclamation!

Exclamation!

5. verbatim

verbatim Red like Roses
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

You wouldn't happen to be talking about something like this, would you?
  6. kd24

kd24 yo daddy musta been a drug dealer? why, cuz you're dope
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

No, he wouldn't. He's talking about high quality battles selected by the TDs or other trustworthy sources that can be viewed on Smogon and rated on or sorted. Did you even read the OP?
  7. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Deer Lord
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

I'm sure there can be some sort of link to whatever Smogon uses (if this thread comes to fruition) and the PS replay page. Perhaps the page can be loaded on Smogon as well, with users given permission to rate the battle?
  8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck i am woodchuck
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

We used to have
  9. BattleStar

BattleStar

Even if this doesn't make a section of smogon I would still think this could be a success. Perhaps we can have stickies in each of the official Metagames where we can post replays(more than just a link of course! You should post some interesting point and anything else important). We can also advertise and suggest for RMT's to link a couple replays. I find this would be extremely beneficial in rating teams and can do more in understanding a user's play style.
  10. alexwolf

alexwolf Rain Summoner
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Full support for this idea!
  11. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

the thread with the ost9 final game has been a booming success, if we could have threads like these with a replay where community members offer their commentary on the battles that would be awesome! full support
  12. locopoke

locopoke indulges in unsavory behavior
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I think Mien meant having a place on the site where replays can be viewed by the public and users can up/downvote, comment, and sort them to see the best battles.
  13. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Doubles Co-Lead

a qdb for replays, so to speak? sounds awesome
  14. v

v TRY AND KNOCK ME DOWN...IF U DARE...U FUCKIN SCRUB...FUFUFU
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    ULTRA Moderator

15. JoshuaMunoz

JoshuaMunoz

16. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

this has been added to the smogon github. thanks for the suggestion

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)