A Sandy Attempt at the VGCs

Recently I've been trying to make an appearance in the VGCs. The first time I entered I brought my standard OU offensive team to see how they would perform. Since I knew almost nothing about the metagame I wasn't surprised on how poorly the performed. Since then I have been doing a lot of research, and I discovered (especially on showdown) that rain teams are becoming incredibly popular. Because of this I was tempted to use a rain team of my own, but where is the fun in that? I realized that I did need some kind of a weather team, but I needed one that might have a chance at countering the speedy swimmers. This is where I turned my hopes to the desert! So far this team has undergone several unique and strange changes (even seeing a Latias on the team at some points). So far the newest edition of the team has a win loose streak of 22-6. That score is composed on both Showdown, and the random Wi-Fi battle finder on Black 2, but enough with this introduction! Let's get into the team!

Tyranitar

Nature: Adamant (+Attack -Special Attack)

Ability: Sand Stream

Item: Lifeorb

Moves

Sandstorm
Superpower
Crunch
Aqua Tail
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Sp. Defense

Ah, Tyranitar! The key player for this team. Just his presence sets up the base for the entire plan! With his very low speed he is able to get in, and win the weather war in an instant, however; many rain teams carry rain dance. Knowing this I gave Tyranitar Sandstorm. The only other purpose besides this T-tar serves is to well.....sweep.

Excadrill

Nature: Adamant (+Attack -Special Attack)

Ability: Sand Rush

Item: Ground Gem (Subject to Change)

Moves

Earthquake
Iron Head
Rock Slide
Protect

EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP

With sandstorm up, and the ability Sand Rush in affect this slow but powerful pokemon changes in an instant. Not only is he able to keep up in a metagame where speed is a key issue he can easily deliver powerful attacks the silence enemies quickly. He is usally my main choice to lead in with T-tar since he is so powerful, but on occasion he doesn't get the chance because of my next pokemon.

Gliscor

Nature: Jolly (+Speed -Special Attack)

Ability: Sand Veil

Item: Ice Gem (Subject to Change)

Moves

Acrobatics
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Protect

Evs: 252 Attack, 184 Speed, 72 HP

Let me stop you there! I know what you are thinking: "Why are you giving Gliscor of all things an Ice Gem?!" Simple: With his impressive speed of (please note they are at level 50, and this is with 0 IVs) 135 he's almost able to catch up with the blue jet himself Latios
Because of this I have dubbed him mini Excadrill and my counter to Dragon types!

Hydreigon

Nature: Timid (+Speed -Attack)

Ability: Levitate

Item: Chopple Berry

Moves
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower
Protect

EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Special Defense

This guy is no stranger to the VGC's. He runs a very unique type, and does a great job sweeping. This set runs a Chopple Berry so he doesn't have to worry about one fighting type move. This set has performed very well, and with such a wide range of attack and two STAB moves it isn't too much a surprise this VGC legend found its way on my team.

Gastrodon

Nature Bold (+Defense -Attack)

Ability: Sand Force

Item: Leftovers

Moves
Ice Beam
Earth Power
Scald
Protect

EVs: 252 Defense, 252 HP, 4 Special Attack

Gastrodon is really here for water support, and as some kind of wall to all types excluding grass types. He basically comes in deals with any threat he is needed for, and then switches right out to some one better. Nothing more nothing less.

Lucario

Nature: Jolly (+Speed -Special Attack)

Ability: Inner Focus

Item: Expert Belt

Moves
Close Combat
Extreme Speed
Bullet Punch
Thunder Punch

EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Lucario's purpose is glue. He is here to back up Hydreigon, and to counter water types. He does this pretty well, and with expert belt a thunder punch is usually a OHKO. Also with the ability Inner Focus those pesky fake out hitmontops aren't too much on an issue anymore. There really isn't too much to say about him other than well...he's glue.

Now this team is always subject to change a few pokemon I have been considering are: Latios, Hippodown, Cressilia, Garchomp, Metagross, Infernape, and Landorus. If you feel there is a set that would work better, or even an entirely new pokemon that would better please feel free to suggest it!

Couple tweaks

I bet you can guess who this is. The team looks great for the most part just a few suggestions. First, I see your point about gliscor with ice gem, but it's really not necessary. A flying gem boosted acrobatics will do 98-112% damage to a zero defenses Latios meaning a 75% chance it will OHKO. Even with the ice gem ice fang will only be a guaranteed 2 hit KO after weather damage. Second, considering VGC is played doubles format your earthquakes will be hitting your other Pokemon as well so Excadrill's will be doing alot to Ttar. I'd suggest running protect on Tar so that you can still abuse the powerful stab and preserve your weather starter. Also, since Tar is slower than the other common weather starters normally your weather will be the one to stay, and while sandstorm can help retain momentum it's better to guarantee that Tar will last long enough to set it back up automatically after eliminating the others. Also running a Latios of your own is worth considering over hydreigon, but it's not necessary. Lastly, a life orb would better suit Excadrill as a sweeper. I would suggest F sash on Tar to ensure your sandstorm or a different offensive item. Other wise this team looks great.

Changes this moves of T-tar Aqua Tail to Rock Slide, Superpower to Low Lick and Sand Storm to Protect
T-tar is better with focus shash if you keep it
Flying Gem in Gliscor
The best hability for gastrodon in VGC is Storm Drain for absorb water attacks
You can put recover in gastrodon
Change lucario to and intimidate user i think you need it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)