A sun team that... doesn't really need sun. (Top 50 on Showdown)

Greetings all! I'm here to present a new team that I recently created and had decent success with. Top 50 in Showdown isn't exactly a big achievement but being a relatively new (~3 months) battler, I'm pretty happy with my 70-75% win rate.

My intention was to create a versatile sun team that works brilliantly under sun but at the same time, functions well without it. I'm usually an offensive battler so my team will be more inclined towards that style, but I've tried my best to incorporate some durability without sacrificing too much attacking prowess.

Without further adieu, I present to you... my team. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 152 Spd / 252 HP / 104 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- SolarBeam
- Rest
- Sunny Day

Obvious first pokemon is obvious. Ninetales is an obligatory member of any fire team. My aim with Ninetales is to have sun up as much as possible, for as often as possible. Sunny Day is amazing when predicting those irritating Politoed switch-ins and the two dead-standard attacks provide respectable coverage. Rest may seem like a strange choice initially, but it helps with give Ninetales some much-needed longevity. The sleep effect will be dealt with by Chansey (discussed later). I lead with this thing 30-50% of the time, depending on the opponent's team.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Scarfed Ape is amazing. He makes the perfect scout/lead and revenge-killer. For some reason, U-turn catches so many people off-guard. I've KO-ed/dented so many Celebis, Alakazams and Espeons off the bat, it's not funny anymore. Close Combat allows me to KO Tyranitar and Stone Edge rips Volcarona to shreds. Overheat under the sun dents anything that doesn't resist it, and provides a much stronger STAB fire option outside Ninetales. Infernape is probably one of, if not the most influential member of my team.

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Toxic

The first member of my ridiculously solid defensive core. Slowbro sponges physical attacks like nobody's business. CBand Scizor Pursuit does less than 50% damage to this guy and after switching out, Regenerator heals him back up and he's ready to tank again. That's how tough he is. Slack Off bolsters his longevity even more and Toxic is the perfect complement to it's walling prowess. Psychic is the obligatory STAB attack. Flamethrower is my curveball and under the sun, it can wreck most common switch ins like Ferrothorn, Scizor and whatever Grass type thrown at him.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

Being the second half of my defensive core, Chansey is the undisputed king (queen?) of special walls. It has amazing synergy with Slowbro and just by switching between the two, I can already wear down a fair number of opposing Pokemon. Toxic makes an appearance again as Chansey often switches in to handle whatever Slowbro can't, and this helps spread Toxic throughout the opposing team. Seismic toss is there to deal consistent damage over time and Softboiled is just pure frustration for the opponent. Heal Bell allows me to shrug off not just my team's status(es) and Ninetales' Rest sleep, but also stops Chansey from being Toxic stalled by opposing walls.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

The green behemoth. Venusaur is my Chlorophyll sweeper of choice. It usually doesn't make an appearance until mid-late game but when it does, it's usually game over. +2 Giga Drain is surprisingly powerful and goes hand in hand with Life Orb. HP Fire is obviously necessary to round off coverage. Sludge Bomb is my STAB attack of choice for pure brute force, and can KO most of the metagame after +2 if unresisted. I choice this over Sleep Powder because I rarely need to put things to sleep by the time Venusaur is on the field; he just ploughs through everything.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

And last but not least, I have Mamoswine. Unfortunately, he is the most volatile member of my team and if I had to modify someone, it would be Mamoswine. Nevertheless, he plays an important part by being the team's SR setter and dragon-killer. Earthquake and Icicle Crash are self-explanatory STABs.

I would like some help with this last slot. Mamoswine is good, but I think I'm missing that one magical Pokemon that can round off my entire team well. His slot used to be taken by Shell Smash Cloyster but that he wasn't a good fit either. Any advice on slot #6 will be much much appreciated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And there you have it! Thank you for reading and whatever suggestions will be greatly valued. Here's one last look:

Post away!

Cool team. I recommend Wish > Softboiled to be able to pass wishes to the rest of your team. I would also go 196 HP/252 Def/60 SDef to give Chansey a little more special bulk, while keeping the wishes are still incredibly revitalizing.

I would also suggest some Rapid Spin support? But I do not know how to add it in. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)