ORAS UU A Tale of Bees and Dragons

Hi all! So while i'm not exactly new to UU (been playing a little while) this is my first serious attempt at building my own team (I usually pinch them from this very forum), so far it's done ok though i'm only at 1142 at time of writing. I'm hoping to get some help moving a little further up the ladder.

The team:

Let's get onto the sets etc shall we!

The core:

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
Giga Drain
Clear Smog
Spore
Toxic

Specially defensive Amoongus, this guy is the first half of my regenerator core, his main purpose on the team is to take hits and be annoying, spore helps greatly with that second bit, effectively taking an opposing mon out of the fight and making Amoongus annoying to switch into, toxic is there if I predict a switch into a grass type or to try and catch a switch in after something has been put to sleep.

Clear smog is primarily there to mess with CM suicune but works just as well on plenty of other setup sweepers (feraligator, Curselax, non bounce DD gyarados, SD cobalion etc) which are handled by this beast. Gig drain is there because I needed an attack and getting some recovery is nice.

Amoongus is an excellent check to the fighting and water types that inhabit the tier while also taking electric and grass type attacks for Slowking like a champ.

While he has fantastic bulk Amoongus really needs help with fire, ice and psychic types, which is where he partner in crime comes in.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Psyshock

And this ladies and gentlemen is the partner in crime I was talking about, physically defensive CM slowking checks a lot of threats that Amoongus misses. Regenerator is a great ability that helps keep this monster healthy and happy, his main purpose on the team is to absorb hits, fish for scald burns and given half a chance setup and sweep.

Calm mind is pretty self explanatory, once his checks are out of the way there's often very little a team can do to stop Slowking, scald is his go to move, fishing for burns and getting chip damage where it can, psyshock is there for special walls and the likes of Toxicroak who may want to soak up a scald. Slack off keeps him healthy during sweeps and allows him to outlast most opponents while slowly calm minding up.

Slowking makes a great partner for Amoongus, happily taking on the fire, ice and psychic type hits Amoongus doesn't want to take as well as being a pretty reliable blanket check to physical attackers who don't have a super effective move.

The muscle:

So although the core is tough and pretty good at spreading status and keeping itself healthy it's pretty passive and almost totally lacks hitting power, with that in mind I figured some heavy hitters would be handy.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail
- Roost

Life ord special mence is a monster... Draco is his main nuke and the button i'll be clicking 99% of the time when there're no fairies around, with a life orb even resistant pokemon don't want to be taking to many of these!

Fireblast is there for predicted steel type switches as not only will it hit harder it will also mean mence can stay in and hit again.

Dragon tail is there for one reason, to stop this beast becoming setup fodder due to the SpA drop from draco, it does decent chip damage too.

Finally roost is there to help cushion life orb damage and most importantly keep this guy out of stealth rock range.

The EV spread and nature maximize power and speed as he isn't here to take hits.

On this team Salamence functions as a wall breaker with meteors but also as a secondary check to the many fighting, fire, water and grass types the tier has to offer.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn​

Honestly this thing terrifies me... I dread seeing it on the other team. Choice scarf Darm hits like a truck, has fantastic coverage and once his checks are out of the way is very VERY difficult to stop, on this team he plays a few rolls, he functions primarily as a wall breaker, compliment mence nicely, late game (if he makes it) this guy can roll up entire teams by clicking flare blitz.

Flareblitz is here for obvious reasons, it hits disgustingly hard, even when resisted, very few things want to switch into it. The recoil can be a pain though and tends to shorten Darms life quite a bit (it kills him as often as the opponent). If planning to use this guy to sweep you need to keep him healthy or he'll kill himself.

Stone edge is there primarily for other fire types, gaining valuable KOs on the likes of opposing Darms, chandelure, arcanine and entei, it's also appreciated against flyers, in particular salamence. The accuracy is a rish and I have thought about rock slide but honestly I'd miss the power of stone edge with sheer force.

Superpower is another coverage move, hitting dark types very hard (i'm looking at you hydreigon) and it's good for taking down steel and ice types that I don't want to take recoil damage against. It's also vital for hitting the rock types that otherwise might be a pain.

Finally u-turn, this allows Darm to act as a pivot and get off some chip damage. As Darm is frequently my lead (anti-lead I guess?) this move tends to get used a lot, it's ability to mess up Azelf and do a good chunk to things like galvantula is very much appreciated.

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

I know, i know, another frail physical attacker but I can't help it, I love this mon! He's been working pretty well, again he runs as a wall breaker or a sweeper late game.

The EVs and nature are standard, max power and speed as there's absolutely no use in boosting his pathetic defense, as they say, the best defense is a good offence and boy oh boy does this guy have a good offence!

U-turn is self explanatory, allowing Beedrill to act as a pivot and forming a little volt turn thing with Darm, also with adaptability it hits so so hard!

Poison jab is another excellent adaptability boosted stab, hitting anything that doesn't resist it very hard, and clearing fairies out of the way for Salamence.

X-scissor i'm not sure of, I have it primarily because if I get sword dance up I don't want to have to use u-turn just to get a bug STAB, this could be replaced by drill run to get coverage on steels that otherwise wall this monster?

Swords dance is a pretty ballsy move on Beedrill if I do say so myself, especially when it takes the place of protect and I'm still not sure it's a good idea? I mean if I get one off then God help anything that gets in this beasts way but it becomes pretty tricky to get a dance off in the first place, swap with protect maybe?

The backup:
So that's defense and offence sorted, sadly my offence has a massive stealth rock weakness! So hazard control is a must, some hazards of my own wouldn't hurt either, chip damage to help Darm and beedrill get those KOs and to capitalize on all the switches the terrible twosome in the core force. With this in mind defog wasn't ideal, also most defog users are flying and would therefore add another rock weakness so I figured...

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

I know custap berry looks really odd here and it totally is, originally this guy ran with explosion but one day I decided to try spikes instead and forgot to change the berry. I've actually found it handy to get off that one last rapid spin or set rocks before he dies, though i'm far from sure on it.

The EVs are standard defense Forry, allowing him to take as many physical hits as possible while he sets up or spins.

This guy os pretty self explanatory, spin to keep rocks away, setup rocks and if possible spikes for chip damage and to help with a sweep. Volt switch is nice to get Darm or Beedrill in unharmed.

I've found this guy dies... A lot, his pathetic special defense doesn't help nor his massive fire weakness, i'd replace him if I could but how else do you cram this much utility into one slot?

Threats... From my experience.

The only thing I really hate seeing with this team is DD/sub Gyarados - Seriously this thing sets up all over Slowking, Forretress and Amoongus, it has to be wary of Darms stone edge but happily sets up on him locked into any other move and once it's setup there's no stopping it.

Maybe I've just been lucky?

That's the team, it's far FAR from perfect but it's the best I've managed so far and it does ok. Any help would be appreciated though!

Cheers!
Kelshal

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice balance team consisting of a Regenerator core with fast U-Turn users in order to gain momentum. However, I see a major weakness in Choice Band Krookodile, as it can switch in and potentially KO something and switch out when Beedrill or Darmanitan tries to revenge kill it. Moreover I also see the glaring Gyarados weakness, as it can setup on Darmanitan and also potentially KO Amoonguss with Bounce after a Dragon Dance. Same goes with Feraligatr and Crawdaunt, as both are very threatening after a Dragon Dance and Swords Dance respectively. Crawdaunt in general, can ravage through your team once Salamence is down, as it can KO everything else.

over

First off, let's look at the threats to the team: Offensive Water-types in general. They look especially dangerous due to the fact that Darmanitan can give the Water-types free turns after it hits something with Flare Blitz. Darmanitan is a mediocre Pokemon in general as well, it has really frail stats, and with Flare Blitz and being weak to Rocks, it faints too quickly. Due to its frail stats it takes heaps of damage from priority moves such as Extremespeed and Sucker Punch, and is completely walled by Water-types. On the other hand, its wallbreaking capabilities are good, as it can punch holes into the opposing team once their Water-type is down or weakened, which benefits Mega Beedrill to clean. Therefore, your team needs a wallbreaker that is not a complete setup fodder for Water-types, or at least, something that discourages offensive Water-types to set up on it. Thus, the best option is to run Choice Band Entei over Darmanitan, as it also hits really hard with Sacred Fire and Flare Blitz, while having a very nifty priority in Extremespeed, which is much appreciated in your team in order to KO weakened fast threats. It also discourages Water-types from setting up on it due to Sacred Fire burning 50% of the time. Entei also spreads burns with Sacred Fire and makes Beedrill's clean much easier due to the opposing team being weakened.

over

Now I see a huge weakness to Hydreigon and setup sweepers in general, which makes your team really weak to. Hydreigon can switch in and drop a draco, as your team has nothing to take it. Taunt Roost varaints can shut the defensive backbone of your team down, and can dismantle it. Setup sweepers such as Feraligatr, Crawdaunt, Gyarados are also threatening, while Dragon Dance Salamence can also obliterate your team with ease. The best option is to run a Whimsicott over Amoonguss, as it can stop and discourage setting up with Encore, and can check Hydreigon as long as it doesn't switch into Fire Blast or Iron Tail. Whimsicott can also check Suicune, as it can make it locked into Scald or Calm Mind, making it unable to setup further. I think that offensive Whimsicott would be useful especially due to the fact that you have no other checks to Suicune. Whimsicott also checks Choice Band Krookodile, which is threatening to your team.

Dragon Tail on non-defensive Salamence is pretty mediocre, especially due to the fact that it likes its Speed stat when boosted on. Running Dragon Tail makes you more likely to switch out after using a Draco Meteor and the opponent can predict you to switch out and act accordingly. Moreover, Whimsicott can only lock Suicune into setting up, but can struggle to beat it. Your team also likes a nice cleaner and a revenge killer that can revenge kill Scarf Hydreigon, Gyarados, Feraligatr and Mega Aerodactyl. Therefore, the best change would be to running Choice Scarf Moxie Salamence, as it becomes a threatening cleaner with that set. Moreover, with Entei and Beedrill in your team, you can pressure Fairy-types a lot, and Salamence can be used as a late-game cleaner. Having Scarf Mence also makes your team less weak to Curse Snorlax, which often switches into Entei.

The Forretress set is really situational, yes I do understand that last moment Rapid Spin helps a ton, but due to the fact that it has no reliable recovery, Leftovers is a really good item on it. Leftovers Forretress lets it retain its Sturdy a couple of times when played right. You'll see that there will be a lot of times where you wished you had Leftovers especially since the recovery is that important. Moreover, threats like Slurpuff, Absol, Beedrill, Krookodile and Aerodactyl look threatening to your team, and hitting them with a move will be much appreciated in your team. Therefore, running Gyro Ball over Spikes is a great option, as it hits the threats hard, and despite not being able to stack and weaken the opponent, it makes you not be completely destroyed by your threats.

Finally, a sweeper Beedrill is mediocre and it should be noted that Beedrill is a fast offensive pivot, not a sweeper. Moreover, Beedrill is really frail and I would run Protect over Swords Dance to ensure it evolves safely and scout for moves on Choiced Pokemon to act accordingly. Also, it seems like Chandelure is a pain to the team, and running Knock Off over X-Scissor is worth it, since you outspeed a Chandelure anyhow and can KO it using that. Knock Off is also a great utility move in general, and is very spammable. The only drawback is that Cobalion can setup on your team, but you have Slowking for that, which counters Cobalion.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Flare Bliz

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- U-turn
- Encore

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail
- Outrage

Hope I helped! :toast:

Last edited:
Hi Arifeen!

Thanks for the rate, I've taken your advice on board and tried the team with the changes you recommended and.... It's definitely better!

First of all Entei is a beast.. Harder to use than scarf Darm but sacred fire puts a lot of pressure on the opponent as not much wants to switch into it, as I said though trickier to use and I do sometimes miss Darms ability to end a game.

Whimsicott.... Is much better than Amoongus, sometimes I miss spore for shutting down key threats (as Amoongus could take a hit, spore then switch out to get regen) but encore has saved my bacon more than once tonight and having a draco switch in is really nice.

I miss Special mence but I have to say i've been pleasantly surprised by scarf/moxie mence, once his checks are out the way this guy can't be stopped! I do however miss roost, might try a DD mence, but I don't think it'll work as well as scarf?

I'm still really struggling vs stealth rock... Forry is a very predictable and easily countered spinner, and with half the team having a rocks weakness it can be tricky to play around sometimes, would really appreciate any advice on mitigating this?

Thanks
Kelshal

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well you gotta get used to playing with Forretress, as it checks so many threats to your team and is a nice glue for your team. As for Mence I did consider DD but your team benefits a fast revenge killer and cleaner, so it's upto you. If you want to test you the team against me Bro, I'll be in Competitive Tutoring room in PS! :toast:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey Kelshal this strangely looks like a weird mix of balance and offense that doesn't synergize like it should, so I am here to rate in hopes I can help patch up a few things.
  • First off, this team hates any Water type in UU with a passion (Gyarados, Crawdaunt, Feraligatr, and Suicune to be honest) as these can setup and put you on the back burner). While one Pokemon can't really take all these particular Water-types on, I feel a change is necessary. Since Amoonguss and Slowking don't seem to fit this particular team when going the offensive route, I suggest Heliolisk > Amoonguss and Gardevoir > Slowking. Heliolisk takes care of all but DD Gatr as it can Tbolt or Volt Switch on all the Water-types that give this team trouble. Gardevoir may seem like a weird change, but it gives this team a solid wallbreaker that is a shaky Draco Meteor switchin albeit still a switchin.
  • Now with this change, the team is more offensive, it now makes sense to run Lead Forretress which your set tries to do, but it is using the defensive EVs so run 252 Atk / 252 Spe and 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD IVs with Explosion > Volt Switch.
  • Next, I agree with Arifeen's changes for Entei > Darm and Mega Beedrill; however, I feel like Dragon Dance Salamence w/ Intimidate or Moxie benefits this team more than Scarf Salamence as you have plenty of wallbreakers to weaken things in range of a Dragon Dance Salamence sweep and DD Mence can act as a win con and a cleaner. With Choice Scarf Salamence, you have no win con which can prove a bit of a pain for walls with reliable recovery that may not get worn down by constantly switching in.
Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot

Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Trick

or

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Trick
- Healing Wish

*While Specs can give you a great wallbreaker, Scarf can be effective here as well as it can provide Healing Wish support and allows this team's sweepers to play more aggressively as well as give you a cleaner if you really desire one.

Salamence @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe OR 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe if Jolly
Naive / Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Iron Tail

Hope my changes help you and good luck with the team! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)