A Trick Room team? Lolwut?

I've been pwning... And getting pwned... A lot with this team. Sure, stalling teams give it a heck of a time, but with this offensive generation you don't see them much.
This team has been edited around a LOT. First it consisted of Marowak, Slowbro, Aggron and Machamp. Later it went to Armaldo, Marowak,
Garchomp and Shaymin-L(back when we had no metagame info of Pt) I'm sure I'll be editing this more.
I removed Marowak because it just plain can't kill Rotom that well. However
I recommend using him as he withstands everything Lucario throws at it.
Well, at least for me.
For some time I've been using Finishers. I decided to ditch them until I
would start using Slowbro that sets TR and sweeps... Which I propably
won't do in a while at least.

All pokemon have 0 IVs in the Speed stat.

The Roomers

Bronzong AKA Toilet @ Lum Berry
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP/196 Atk/62 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Trick Room
- Hypnosis

So I removed Stealth Rock for a reason: It just isn't of as much use as Hypnosis.
The accuracy drop really hurt my poor Mayan toilet.
The contex is the same: Hypnosis something that doesn't 2HKO Bronzong, set up TR and explode.
If the opponent is something like Azelf, Gengar, Aerodactyl and Deoxys-S, Gyro Ball.

Porygon2 AKA Cybersex @ Lum Berry
252hp/200def/4spatk/52spdef
Trace
Sassy

~Thunderbolt/Flamethrower
~Ice Beam/Flamethrower
~Recover
~Trick Room

The only thing possibly on this team that WILL ALWAYS STAY. No
expections.
I absolutely love this thing, my favorite pokemon so far. It is the ONLY one
of my pokes who can stand a Swords DanceX2 Scizor BP. I switch between
the 3 offensive moves depending on Scizor's and other steels on days.
Changed the EVs a bit.

Claydol AKA Voodoo doll @ Lum Berry
252hp/252def/4atk
Levitate
Relaxed

~Stone Edge
~Rapid Spin
~Trick Room
~Explosion

A new addition to my team! Works like wonder-pokemon!
Strategy is simple but effective; Spin potential spikes away, throw a TR
and explode. If the opponent is something that is immune to explosion I
switch or Stone Edge it depending on the situation.

Now, the receivers:

Armaldo AKA Bugsaur @ Leftovers
252hp/252atk/4def
Battle Armor
Brave

~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Swords Dance
~X-Scissor

This thing, even with Stealth Rock, is surprisingly bulky. Although Arma has few resistances and no immunities, it has two excellent STABs.
Swords Dance lets it tear through any wall thrown at it on the switch.
Leftovers, thanks to Arma's bulkiness, gives it some recovery from SR and
the hit it may receive after SD.
Sandstorm teams are a true blessing for Arma :happybrain:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/132 SAtk
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Roar

A new addition, stops special sweepers(read: Heatran) and Scizor in their tracks.
Scizor is, for this team, a gargantuan weakness.

And now for the most (un?)expected member of the team:

Clamperl AKA KillerPerl @ Deepseatooth
252hp/252spatk/4def
Shell Armor
Quiet

~Confuse Ray
~Surf
~Hidden Power [Electric]
~Ice Beam

Clamperl. Oh boy. Ooohhhhh boy. This baby induces more fear than Bot
Flies(google it). And it survives a CB Night Slash from a Weawile.

Confuse Ray buys it more time against things ir cannot OHKO such as
Cresselia and Blissey.
The only threat for KillerPerl is Blissey.She can survive 4 Surfs before dying.
And during that time ConfuHax wears off and Perl dies from Thunderbolt.

So my main strategy in a nutshell is(assuming each tr pokemon die after tr expires):
1. Set up TR and explode(with a Taunting lead use Gyro Ball)
2. Bring out Rampardos/Clamperl as they are the frailes
3. TR expires, send out Porygon2 if opponent has Cresselia/Water, Ice or Grass type and in other
cases send out Claydol, spin away potential spikes and explode, bringing in Rampy/Clampy
4. TR expires, send out Porygon2 and depending on the opponent, after setting up TR, attack
or switch to Armaldo.

5. Opponent has now about 2 Pokemon left. Again, depending on the situation, Swords Dance
or sweep.
6. If Armaldo falls and Porygon2 is still alive, send out Porygon2 and finish the job. Victory!

------

So there it is. Comments wanted. I've gotten pretty fine off with this team.
Then Garchomp got banned and after that I've been editing my TR team
constanly. Garchomp was a great finisher. Never forget!

P.S: Wow, longest post I have ever done.
*is impressed in self*

Also, Porygon-2 Intimidates back with trace. Actually, Porygon-2 is one of the best Gyarados counters in the game. I like your simple, but effective trick room team. 3 walls that set it up and 3 sweepers are about as simple as it gets. Other options for pokes that I have had sucess with:

TR users: Dusknoir, Hypno, Slowbroking, and Kecleon (monster SpD)

Sweepers: CAMERUPT! LO Eruption from this guy is deadly. Magnezone and you mentioned pretty much all the other trick room users/sweepers. Good job!

I've always been a sucker for TR teams, and I love this one. AND I love porygon2 here, I never thought of using him on a TR team..let alone a regular team..yeah I need to look into that >_>. I like amarldo as a sweeper, used him myself. Personally, I'd take trapinch over clamperl, and i've had so much fun with trappy..but yeah.

Also, look into dusknoir for another TR setup. He can still effectevily wall with will o wisp, and threaten with ele punches.

Overall very very nice.

Rag

"aaaaaaaahhhh!"
I support the idea of Dusknoir as Trick Room setup, althrough I personally find tre users a bit overwhelming. Whatever float your boat. :)

However, Dusknoir got a extremely useful Bug-resistance, and will scare away Scizor with Will-o-Wisp. Luckily, Porygon2 is there to absorb hits from Heatran, althrough I'm quite interested in seeing how you fare against a version with Taunt. On a side note, Porygon2 doesn't learn Flamethrower I'm afraid.

But back to your Scizor issue. Your two main sweepers is easily killed by Scizors Bullet Punch, and that's just asking for trouble. I seriously recommend a Solid Rock Rhyperior, who got no trouble or whatsoever with Scizor, and is an extremely threatening sweeper while Trick Room is in effect. I would've used something like this:

Rhyperior
Solid Rock
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch / Megahorn
@ Life Orb

"QuakeSlide" is a amazing STAB combination, and the latter hit anything that resist its STAB for super effective damage. I find Ice Punch to be a greater asset though, as it allow you to KO Gliscor, who otherwise usually just Roost off the damage to stall the Trick Room.

On Rampardos I would probably just stick to Life Orb. Trust me, hitting hard every turn is extremely efficient. Oh, and the enemy isn't going to get their screens down unless they lead with screens. Leading with a Brick Break Dusknoir would help you a lot more in the long run, as Brick Break on Rampardos fail to do any damage and just waste your Trick Room. Head Smash is an interesting option. It usually kill something, or atleast make a HUGE dent, and allow you to bring in something fresh. Kind of like Explosion. You don't need to spam it though, just before Trick Room is about to end, or Rampardos is about to die.

Nice job, though, and major props for using a Trick Room team! They're hella fun to use. :)

Trapinch can work well with Clamperl as it acts like Dugtrio to Blissey only with higher attack and faster (in trick room).

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wouldn't Hammer Arm be better on Rampardos than Brick Break, since the speed lowering effect would be beneficial on a Trick Room team?

I am also unsure whether both your receivers should be Rock-Typed. Maybe you should think about Breloom for status support and already phenomenal attack.

I would replace Rampardos with Rhyperior really.

Rhyperior is much more bulky and it has solid rock. It also has monstrous attack only that that monstrous. Just throw a CB on it and it'll pwn. Try it out at least.

I've been using TR now for quite some time and here comes my advice:
Bronzong: SR isn't that great, maybe you could use hypnosis because when people see TR-zong, they go to a ghost or wall for the explosion(and they're right) so if you predict a switch, use hypnosis. You eleminated another potential treath and can then switch to clamperl:D.
Porygon2: He's awesome for any TR( just wanted to say that) but I don't see why you use lum berry and not leftovers. I think you best drop Ice Beam because against Clamperl, all dragons just DD outside TR and will be dead with TR anyway.
Claydol: A lum berry again? You could use leftovers again (or maybe even life orb for a nice extra force behind that blow) and I should switch all the Defense EVs for Special Defense because his base state is higher in SpD and P2 and zong are already very Defensive EVd.
Armaldo: He looks fine for me, although I haven't used him yet so I can't give any advice on this one. Maybe you could replace it because of the double rock recievers but that's allready mentionted.
Rampardos: I think Life orb is better then Liechi berry for that nice extra kick. I use one with 252 Att 252 SpA with Ice Beam to kill of Gliscor and some dragons. They never see it comming:D
Clamperl: Great you also have her. But here comes something very creative I use: replace Confuse Ray for......... Sleep Talk. You can switch in on a hypnosis from gengar and kill it with ST.
Overall: It's a very nice team, I'm glad that more people use TR and I hope you can get many victories with it.
BTW: Doesn't Clamperl has 2 Speed IVs?

Hydro Pump could also be an option over Sleep Talk on Clamperl. With it, you might be able to 3HKO Blissey, if they all hit.

Keep Surf, just put Hydro Pump over Confuse Ray.

go parasect. Sure its crappy, but hey you'll be meag original, plus it has pathetic speed to go with its other pathetic stats.
Parasect used spore

Thanks for all the info guys!

I have been, actually, using Magnezone and Dusknoir sometimes.
However... Magnezone just doesn't stand up to Earthquakes, Close Combats
and Fire Blasts. It's type coverage isn't great either.

I gave up using Dusknoir because it simply cannot use Explosion. With these
frail sweeprs Explosion is a must.
However I might use him if I ever switch to using Rhyperior.

I don't think I will use Hydro Pump. In fact I doubt Clamperl learns it. And
even if he did I would be using Confuse Ray.
I dunno about Sleep Talk... Kinda wastes a moveslot because Hypnosis isn't
that common on teams anymore because of that accuracy drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)