a unique Metagross build

I feel kind of reluctant posting this set here because I've noticed recently, there have been A LOT of people posting new sets and that coupled with the fact that I'm new (lurked quite a bit however but then again, more lurking doesn't neccesarily mean more experience) makes this a bit intimidating. However, I will give you the promise that this isn't another one of those mixed attacking sets that have been floating around and tossed out there ever since the emergence of Chain Chomp (But no offense to anyone who has made a mixed set after Chain Chomp, some of them are pretty good!).

Seeing as I scoured Team Rocket Elite's Metagross analysis and didn't find anything similar to this, and then searched for anything pertaining to both Metagross and the specific move I'm coupling it with and still found nothing, here goes:

Metagross: @Macho Brace
Nature: Brave
EV Spread: 76hp/ 252atk/ 182sdef
move 1: Gyro Ball
move 2: Magnet Rise/ Hammer Arm
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Punch/ Thunderpunch
IV Spread: 31/31/31/x/31/0 Speed last

Purpose of this build:
Yes. Gyro Ball. If you're tired of Meteor Mash sometimes missing on you or Bullet Punch is just not scoring that KO, try this. The premise of this Metagross is similar to Bronzong:
Punish fast sweepers and make it difficult for your opponent to switch in.

Now, with 0 IVs in speed and 0 EVs in speed with a -speed nature, Metagross has about 130 speed. That normally wouldn't make Gyro Ball close to Meteor Mash-status damage but if we give our four-legged friend a Macho Brace, his speed drops to a pitiful 65, just two points away from Relaxed/ Sassy/ Brave 63spd Bronzong.

Now I ran the calculations and I compared an average Bronzong (the Self-Sustaining sweeper)and this Metagross's Gyro Balls against in this example, a max speed Adamant Garchomp:

Gyro Ball base power (against max speed Adamant Garchomp):
Bronzong: 1+(25 x 303/ 63)= 121 base power
Bronzong (Macho Brace variants): 1+(25 x 303/ 31)= 150 base power
(reduced from 245 as Gyro Ball can't exceed 150)
Metagross: 1+(25 x 303/ 65<this is Macho Brace included now>)= 117 base power

So far, Macho Bronzong has an edge in this.

damage calculation (against an average number of an average Garchomp's defense)
Bronzong (Relaxed/ Sassy variant):
(42 x 121 x 252)/ 224/ 50) +2) x 1.5(STAB)= 174
Bronzong (Brave variant):
(42 x 121 x 277)/ 224/ 50) +2) x 1.5(STAB)= 191
Bronzong (Relaxed/ Sassy variant w/ Macho Brace):
(42 x 150 x 252)/ 224/ 50) +2) x 1.5(STAB)= 212
Bronzong (Brave variant w/ Macho Brace):
(42 x 150 x 277)/ 224/ 50) +2) x 1.5(STAB)= 236
Metagross: (42 x 117 x 405)/ 224/ 50) +2) x 1.5(STAB)= 269

Metagross has one hell of a Gyro Ball as you can see from the example. Not all Garchomps have exactly 224 defense but just try plugging in about any other number and the results would still end up with Metagross doing a boatload more damage than his other Steel brethren.

Also, you must take into account speed drops from Hammer Arm.
Clear Body doesn't supress self-inflicted stat drops and in this case, each time you fire off a Hammer Arm, you are effectively raising Gyro Ball's power as well.

Having Hammer Arm also makes it the perfect switch-in to Blissey considering the most common attacks Blissey carries won't do squat to it. And Thunder Wave? Like most Pokemon that benefit from having Gyro Ball/ Trick Room, this Metagross loves being Thunderwaved.
Now, the only real thing Blissey can do to you is either Fire Blast or Sing. Probably Sing.

But then again, I don't think Blissey usually stays in for Metagross so that's why Magnet Rise is an option. Why Magnet Rise? Typically, if your only weakness is Fire, and you have Earthquake to deal with the ones not named Charizard/ Moltres (which you have Thunderpunch for by the way), then you've covered a good deal of bases. This is also the reason why I included sDef EVs into this build, it makes sure that the Pokemon that could potentially one shot you 2HKO you instead, and that is at least enough to score one kill on this before you die.

Here is a list of percentages that this Metagross takes from certain speedy
threats with Fire moves and what Metagross can dish back to them with Gyro Ball:

Neutral 252 Life Orb Azelf's Flamethrower: 75.00% - 88.44%
+Nature 252 Life Orb Azelf's Flamethrower: 82.19% - 96.88%
Netural 252 Choice Specs Azelf's Flamethrower: 86.56% - 101.88%
+Nature 252 Choice Specs Azelf's Flamethrower: 95.00% - 111.56%

Gyro Ball against Neutral speed 252 Azelf: 108.22% - 127.05%
Gyro Ball against speed +Nature 252 Azelf: 118.15% - 139.04%

The two Life Orbing Azelf are not safe switch-ins as outlined above, as even if it could switch in safely on an Earthquake, Flamethrower at best can leave Metagross alive by the skin of its teeth while it throws back a OHKO no matter how you look at it. However, Specs Azelf has a chance and an almost surefire KO with Modest.

Modest 252 Specsmence's Draco Meteor (no sAtk reduction): 47.81% - 56.25%
Modest 252 Specsmence's Flamethrower: 86.88% - 102.19%
Adamant 252 CB Salamence's Earthquake: 92.50% - 109.06%
Jolly 252 CB Salamence's Earthquake: 84.38% - 99.38%

Gyro Ball against Netural speed 252 Salamence: 78.01% - 91.87%
Gyro Ball against speed +Nature 252 Salamence: 85.54% - 100.60%

Ignore the Gyro Ball percentages if you're using Ice Punch. I only listed Draco Meteor here to further demonstrate the advantages presented by the additional sDef in the build.

Adamant CB Chomp's Earthquake: 135.31% - 159.06%
Jolly CB Chomp's Earthquake: 123.44% - 145.00%
Chain Chomp's Fire Blast: 70.31% - 82.81%
Chain Chomp's Earthquake (no SD): 99.06% - 116.56%

I'm not going to list Gyro Ball damages on Garchomp because they are largely the same(just slightly more) than Salamence. And the Ice Punch thing still applies.

I hope that outlines the usefulness of Magnet Rise.
One more thing about Hammer Arm vs. Magnet Rise
because this regards Tyranitar.
Hammer Arm if you can predict Tyranitar, Magnet Rise if you can't.

I don't think I need to explain the importance of having Earthquake on Metagross, but I will say that this is especially handy for people who dislike using Choiced Earthquake users.

Now, the last move is a torn one. Ice Punch really helps you put the hurt on things that normally wall you, such as Gliscor, Hippowdon, Donphan and Tangrowth. Not to mention that any dragon who wants to Flamethrower/ Fire Blast/ Fire Fang/ EQ you will find themselves in a difficult position trying to switch in. On the other hand, if you choose Thunderpunch, Gyarados as well as any other bulky water that isn't Swampert will be hardpressed to do their business here.

Speaking of Gyarados, this build is a moderately good Gyara-Vire combo killer. Why?
You have Thunderpunch to down Gyarados and here's the kicker: Even if they do switch out to Electivire, you WANT them to get the Motor Drive boost. It actually makes it weaker to Gyro Ball(that's sort of irrelevant considering you have Earthquake but it's a satisfying thought) and does nothing for Electivire benefitially because Gyro-gross (I guess that's what I've decided to call it) lives to fight things that outrun it already.

Adamant 252 It's Super Effective! Electivire's Earthquake: 69.69% - 81.88%
Adamant 252 Life Orb Electivire's Earthquake: 75.63% - 89.06%

As you can see, most Electivire can't OHKO you so you pretty much have their balls in a vice.

On a last note, all the switching in is moot point if Trick Room is in effect, because it's already fairly apparent that Gyro-Gross an absolute monster in under Trick Room.

Pros of Gyro-Gross over other Metagross builds:

-excellent paralysis soaker (might want to try this over Electivire?)
-does not require setup as opposed to Agiligrosss
-has the freedom to switch in between attacks
-can take hits relatively well on both sides of the defensive spectrum
with its 320/ 296/ 261 defensive spread (320 HP recovers 20hp btw if
anyone wants to substitute Macho Brace for Leftovers)
-makes a great choice for any team playing under Item Clause
due to the obscurity of Macho Brace
-terrific under Trick Room

Cons of Gyro-Gross:
-being forced to choose between Ice Punch and Thunderpunch, you are
effectively choosing between being walled by Tangrowth/ Grounds or bulky waters
and once your opponents know which one you're packing, they won't let you forget it
-does not contain the brute strength of Choice Band
-the only STAB attack Gyro-Gross carries is conditional on the fact
that it can only effectively hit fast creatures
-it's exceedingly hard to breed for a quad flawless Beldum with a 0 in speed (I guess you
could skimp a little on Defense though)

Sure-fire Counters:
Dusknoir: Not having high speed to be a viable target for, this is pretty much a forced switch out seeing as whatever elemental punch/ Earthquake is going to do crap damage on it.

Cresselia: Reflect and Charge Beam are the bane of Gyro-Gross's existence. If it doesn't have either though, it will simply just wall you.

Bronzong: Being a floaty steel that can toss back Earthquakes while taking little/ neutral damage to absolutely EVERYTHING in your arsenal makes this the most sure fire counter to this build.

Slowbro w/ Flamethrower/ Fire Blast: If it ends up being a Trick Room team vs. a Trick Room team and you end up facing this, you're not outspeeding this or outdamaging it. Not saying you won't meet Slowbros outside a Trick Room team but that's the worst case scenario.

Weezing w/ Flamethrower/ Fire Blast:
Very high defense plus the ability to Pain Split you makes this an instant swtich.

I want to hear what all of you think of this set and how to improve on it. And please point out any errors that I've made, I've spent weeks thinking up this set and its uses/ weaknesses but I still feel I'm missing something.

I'm going to go throw up now.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
The thing about Gyro Ball Metagross is that Gyro Ball doesn't do that significantly more than Meteor Mash to merit giving up an item slot and a heck of a lot of Speed.

Its almost never going to be worth it. Being so slow with no recovery of any kind, you wont be staying around long. Id rather have the 15/100 Meteor Mash miss than No Leftovers, and being slower than everything. Also, keep in mind that Meteor Mash might just raise your Attack, which is very good. After an Agility, if you get an Attack up from Meteor Mash, it is usually a clean sweep from there.

Bronzong does that all way better since it does have Trick Room to help, and Hypnosis in cases where you need to run.

It is creative, yeah, but I don't think it is more than a gimmick set.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you for putting some effort into your post. It was a good read.

But ultimately, I don't like it very much. First of all, with the EV-spread, you're quite vulnerable to Earthquakes (without the HP). Garchomp or Salamence can come in easy (if you don't predict and use Ice Punch) and simply kill you with Earthquake. Others can do the same I figure, choice-band Infernape for example can come in and kill it with flare blitz.

The whole Gyro Ball thing does seem to be done better by Bronzong. To make it a little better, I would definitely run Hammer Arm - you get Tyranitar coverage, and your speed goes down, powering up Gryo Ball. Also, it's really hard choosing between the elemental punches. Thunder punch seems necessary because water-types wall your main move (Gyro Ball). But without Ice Punch, Garchomp / Salamence switch in easily.

The item isn't my favorite either. I understand how it helps this set, but it's just so...meh. Overall I'm not crazy about this set, but it does look like it'll surprise someone. Even after they see a hammer arm or Gyro Ball it still won't be too easy to deal with.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You don't really need Macho Brace, you are just making yourself slower for one move to get stronger. You could add Expert Belt or Life Orb to increase Gyro Ball's power as well as your other moves. In addition I suggest using a Special move such as Hidden power or Grass Knot to 2ko Swampert with some EV investment. And that Garchomp argument isn't that good since Garchomp is faster and can 2ko with Fire Blast/Earthquake.

If you really want to drop his speed, give him an Iron Ball and have Fling as a Possible Option. It's a one time thing and Gyro Ball will be weakend, but it gives you a 130 Base Dark Physical Attack as an Option.

Another issue I noticed, what can it switch in on? All the calcs you ran are certain 2HKO's, and obviously this Metagross will be slower than just about everything, and therefore can not switch into any "major" threats. It was a decent idea, and a very well written post, but, in reality, it is not the best thing for Metagross to do. One thing this does bring to mind though, it Hammer Arm on Metagross. Its great for Skarmory. If makes you slower so it cant Roost in your face or else it take a Super Effective, 100 BP hit from either Earthquake or Hammer Arm.

This thing can switch into Blissey with ease. It's a nice counter for it. It has enough defense and a limited number of weaknesses.

I think people are sort of missing the obvious here. Come into something like Blissey or something that won't do much damage/that will need to switch. There are enough Pokemon in that category. You can then hit the magnet rise on the switch, or predict with your next attack.

Sacrificing speed on Metagross isn't that big of a deal because it ends up being outrun by a lot of the key threats, anyway.

The problem, as I see it...is the macho brace. It pumps up Gyro Ball, but that's all it does. You could life orb it, which may not be too costly if you get that magnet rise off. It may have enough defense to get off a few big hits from that point.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This thing can switch into Blissey with ease. It's a nice counter for it. It has enough defense and a limited number of weaknesses.

I think people are sort of missing the obvious here. Come into something like Blissey or something that won't do much damage/that will need to switch. There are enough Pokemon in that category. You can then hit the magnet rise on the switch, or predict with your next attack.

Sacrificing speed on Metagross isn't that big of a deal because it ends up being outrun by a lot of the key threats, anyway.

The problem, as I see it...is the macho brace. It pumps up Gyro Ball, but that's all it does. You could life orb it, which may not be too costly if you get that magnet rise off. It may have enough defense to get off a few big hits from that point.
there are a million of other better Blissey counters.

So? It isn't like this thing is solely meant to be used against Blissey. It still hits a lot of things hard. Like I said, it's a common Pokemon it counters. That's just an excuse/means to get it into the battle and set-up with magnet rise or get off a free attack as they switch.

It reduces speed.
Hm, that's good to know, then.
[Still, the Pokémon I use Macho Brace is Bronzong, and losing Levitate is not all that great.]

But well, then I guess having Fling + Iron Ball really adds more to the set. But not enough to make it useful, imo.

So? It isn't like this thing is solely meant to be used against Blissey. It still hits a lot of things hard. Like I said, it's a common Pokemon it counters. That's just an excuse/means to get it into the battle and set-up with magnet rise or get off a free attack as they switch.
And if it just kills Blissey then, its just dead weight. Choice Band Metagross is a Blissey counter too, btw

Skarm will have fun switching into it seeing as it can just roost off the damage from gyro balls/ ice punch and thunderpunch. you would have to predict EQ and hammer arms, which you can still roost off. Bronzong completely shuts down the set. End of story.

It reduces speed.
[ITEM]
Lagging Tail
[SHORT DESC]
This Pokemon moves last.
[LONG DESC]
This Pokemon will move last as long as its opponent chooses moves in the same priority bracket. If two Pokemon that are holding Lagging Tail are out at the same time, the faster Pokemon will move last. If a Pokemon holding Lagging Tail is facing a Pokemon with Stall, the Pokemon with Lagging Tail will move last. If a Pokemon with Stall is holding one of these items, Stall is ignored. Lagging Tail ignores the effects of Trick Room. This item is identical to Full Incense.

nothing about decreasing speed, just that the user moves last, if it decreased speed it would work with trick room

Hm, that's good to know, then.
[Still, the Pokémon I use Macho Brace is Bronzong, and losing Levitate is not all that great.]

But well, then I guess having Fling + Iron Ball really adds more to the set. But not enough to make it useful, imo.
Well it's not like Metagross is going to be getting the Negative Side effect from Iron Ball since he can't levitate. It also looks better in my opinion to have it, since Macho Brace really does nothing special here besides the speed, which iron ball does as well, and Fling becomes a possible option.

I'd list Grass Knot as a potential option, at least. Swampert isn't exactly fast and he'd cause you problems otherwise, plus it really hits some of the slower ground types (like Rhyperior) hard, who otherwise wouldn't be taking as much damage as you'd like from Gyro Ball.

Interesting set, though. Personally, I like my Metagross's with some speed, but this might work.

Skarm will have fun switching into it seeing as it can just roost off the damage from gyro balls/ ice punch and thunderpunch. you would have to predict EQ and hammer arms, which you can still roost off. Bronzong completely shuts down the set. End of story.
How is this different from any other Metagross...? Choice band is the only item that would make a large different against Skarmory and Metagross shouldn't be fighting Bronzong either way.

And if it just kills Blissey then, its just dead weight. Choice Band Metagross is a Blissey counter too, btw
It clearly doesn't just kill Blissey...Again, you mine as well say the same thing about just about every Metagross.

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Fling won't work at all on Metagross, as it can't even learn Fling.

If you want to recover speed lost via Hammer Arm, Agility and Psych Up look to be the best options for that, but they don't even look great for this set on paper.

I particularly like the option of Explosion. If you're too slow to be useful, go boom. But does that make it too similar to Bronzong?

Personally, I prefer dealing with Meteor Mash while having reasonable speed, but that's my style.

Yeah, well, looking at it now, it does seem a bit gimmicky but I do have a couple things to add now after reading all those posts.

The list of Pokemon this Metagross can switch in on is pretty slim, I'll admit that, limited to only T-Wave, grassers, birds, Blissey, Weavile, Draco Meteor and a few other things I may be missing isn't really all that great. But much of the strength in this build is getting in and making it difficult for your opponent to come in and kill you without killing themselves.

The thing about other Metagross already being Blissey-counters is true.
But if you think about it, Agiligross can't afford to get T-Waved as well as the others and if Choiced Metagross gets locked into the wrong attack when Blissey switches out to a counter that you have an answer for but, that gives your opponent the upper hand.

What I'm trying to say is, you can soak up a T-Wave if you run into it and if you use the wrong attack, you have a better chance of dealing with the threat that comes out.

About Infernape, it's pretty much the same deal with other Fire types and the two Dragons, it's pretty much a gamble on both players' part. As Metagross can OHKO it with Earthquake and Infernape can OHKO it with Flare Blitz/ Flamethrower if it manages to switch in safely.

Also, unlike other Metagross, this one can actually handle Magnezone. Come in when you predict a T-Wave and Hammer Arm its face when it Magnet Rises expecting an Earthquake. After you kill it, you're opponent is forced into either sending out a revenge killer or a slow wall seeing as you buffed up your Gyro Ball.

Remember, the point of this set is to slow down, not speed up. When playing with this Metagross, put on the mentality that you would use while using like an Ursaring or a Rhyperior.

OK, it's time to address some of its own flaws.
Yeah, Bronzong does this job a whole lot better since it has access to Trick Room and Hypnosis. It doesn't need set-up like Metagross with Magnet Rise to protect it against the things that would normally Earthquake it so you have me there.

And with Agiligross and the Choiced Metagross, you have the ability to sweep "right here right now" instead of playing mind games with your opponent like you have to with this set.

The comparison of "Gyro Ball Bronzong does this kind of set better" is why I made it stand apart by giving it supporting attacks (Hammer Arm/ elem. punches). It makes it stand out from Bronzong by having better coverage and having higher attack in general. I tried to adhere to that Gyarados/ Feraligatr, Swampert/ Gastrodon rule as much as I could.

I thought of Explosion, since I know Gengar and Mismagius would stay as far back as possible once they know you have Gyro Ball but I thought the punches would do more damage in the long run. I don't know, that needs more discussion.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Well thought out, especially for a first post. Unique idea too. Unfortunately, Gyro Ball is kind of a shitty attack considering all of the working around you're having to do for it (lowering Metagross' speed, putting on a shitty item) and even then it doesn't work in all situations, like Meteor Mash would.

I believe that Gyro Ball Metagross has its niche if the team it is supporting is built around it, rather than having it built around the team;

For example, with a Vaporeon giving it Wish support, given its rather tankish build of 320/ 296/ 261 (it's in the rough ballpark of a bronzong with the same typing sans EQ immunity), it can soak up a Grass knot or a Stone Edge with impunity and recover to full. I envision this set as far more successful with leftovers, the utilization of Hammer Arm (without packing Earthquake) and the inclusion of Explosion.

Basically, *i guess*

Brave (your EV spread) @Leftovers

Hammer Arm
Gyro Ball
Thunderpunch/Ice Punch
Explosion

any hitter that cannot manage 180 damage (320/2 + 20) against
the decent 296/261 spread is faced with a destructive force that requires little setup and is far more versatile than CB-Gross. Alternatively, one could replace a non-Gyro Ball move with Bullet Punch to capitalize on the opponent's assumption that after a Hammer Arm that they will go first. It could potentially prevent a lot of heartbreak from a "Surprise!" focus sash + Stat-up that would normally be OHKO'd by your build.

gah, Metagross has far too many options and far too many holes in his coverage. I give up trying to create a fascinating build T_T and thus the obvious gimmick option: *(sarcasm)*

Bold 252/252 HP/Def @ Leftovers
Grass Knot
Toxic
Magnet Rise
Flash Cannon

Metagross' best impression of Levitate-less Bronzong :[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)