A Weekend Warrior's Stab at UU team Building

Hello Smogon! I am yet another one of those lurkers who has finally decided to post. I am very new to online battling but, despite a rocky start on part of a Bloody Breloom, find it incredibly fun and enjoyable.

This weekend, I decided to slash the two OU Pokemon from my team and try to "build" a team. Unfortunately, I had to return to the drawing board early after Alakazam's and Donphan's rise to OU.

The team feels decent. I have managed rack up a few wins here and there. I don't think the losses were a direct result of the Pokemon on the team, just either stupid plays made by me or much better plays made by my opponent.

The Original Team

Kord (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Kord is probably my most important Pokemon. I feel like I see him on every team and with good reason. I chose a bulky Zapdos to help ensure he would stay around for the entire battle. Discharge is chosen over T-Bolt to try and for paralysis support for my slow team. I originally used T-Bolt, and T-Wave over HP Grass but with Swampert around I thought HP Grass would be more useful. Heat Wave is for Heracross, Grass and Steel types. So far, Kord's hardest opponents have been fellow Zapdos's with Toxic.

Beasonator (Gabite) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Outrage
- Earthquake

It may look stupid, but honestly I just really like using Gabite. Setting up can be tricky, but he can take hits surprisingly well, and his typing is so great in helping my Escavalier. Earthquake is STAB and is very handy when switching in on Registeel to set up rocks. Stone Edge hits those HP Ice Zapdos(es?) switching in. Outrage, however is very iffy. Its a very powerful move but getting locked into Outrage can mean an early death for Gabite. As a delightful bonus, in the off chance that my opponent is running sand, it can help in letting this little guy live a bit longer.

Camem-Bert (Arcanine) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Toxic
- Morning Sun

Arcanine is as wonderful as it is fluffy. Toxic is great to fire off on those pesky Zapdo(es?) and Milotics and can take a hit quite well. Despite the lack of Attack investment, she still hits hard is able to revenge kill nicely with Extreme Speed.

Mark Spitz (Kingdra) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

This thing hits like a train. Spitz laughs at Fire Attacks aimed at my Escavalier. He is my Boromir; while he may not live to see the battles end, he will certainly leave his mark and make Sweeping easier for Weavile.

Nixon (Weavile) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Low Kick

I was drawn to this Pokemon after having most of my Battle Subway runs ended by him. He is SO fast and a great way to kill annoying Flygon, Zapdos, Shaymin and other Pokemon weakened by Kingdra and Escavalier. Ice Shard is chosen to hit Scarfed Flygon and Ice Punch wrecks Shaymin and Zapdos where Ice Shard falls short. Night Slash is chosen over Purist to hit Psychic's harder (Weavile is faster anyway and simply having the possibility if carrying Pursuit can be enough to keep the opponent from switching). Low Kick for fellow Darks, but namely for those annoying Normal types like Snorlax.

TheRedDawn (Escavalier) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
- Substitute
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Return

One word: Megahorn. Deoxys-D is torn apart by this monster, as is well everything except Registeel or Zapdos. Substitute allows Escavalier to avoid burning, and possibly fire off a Return on Zapdos. The investment in speed is to outspeed other Escavalier (though other suggestions are much appreciated).

Well there she is, and happy new year!

The current team (Hope I haven't made a mess of things)

EDIT: As of 1-7-2012, The team has once again been changed, with Swampert, Rotom-H and Escavalier being replaced by Roseraid, Suicune and Darmanitan. And yes, before these latest changes I did make a mess of things. Whether is was me or the team or both, nothing was working well at all. These changes have made for much better results.

Kord (Zapdos) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Heat Wave
- Roost

In order for Weavile to sweep, I needed something to check those bulky fighting types such as Machamp and Hitmontop. My Bulky Zapdos took hits fairly well fairly, but lacked power enough to do much more than a 3-4 KO. Now Zapdos can land much harder htis while adding a bit of speed to my otherwise slow team.

Highgarden (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest

Spikes are great help to my Zapdos, allowing to the better take care of Annoying Machamps and Hitmontops. I am really impressed by the bulk of standard Roserade as well. With Giga Drain its a real pest. I really enjoyed Roserade on the Pearl playthrough so its nice to be able to use it once again.

Sauve (Suicune) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

The great CroCune I read about on this site is no joke. Suicune has been incredible so far. The biggest plus has to be its Recovery move combined with Sleep talk. I am really enjoying using this goatee sporting California-like dog.

Bo Jackson (Darmanitan) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

For now, the Balrog of UU will be taking Rotom-H's spot. While Rotom-H is not gone for good necessarily (still toying with those two sets I posted as well as a Standard Tricks set which I have become rather fond of), I really wanted that raw power back on my team I lost when Kingdra was replaced. Rotom-H was a very good Pokemon (one I am still considering), but sometimes it felt as if he and Zapdos were a little too similar and I did not think I needed four special Attacks on my team. DarMANitan has really come through when I needed something to plow through Snorlax and other Special walls. He has potential to leave teams in the same state Kingdra did.

JewishDeli (Hitmontop) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Toxic
- Sucker Punch

Rock Types are a pain to my team, as is Scarf Heracross. This was my best answer to those threats. Intimidate is great, allowing it to sponge hits better. Its also great when countering enemy Weavile. Rapid Spin is a fantastic help when three of my Pokemon are weak to Stealth Rocks. Close Combat also helps take the pressure off Weavile when facing Snorlax. Hitmontop has quickly become a focal point for my team, both offensively and defensively. While my Hitmontop greatly aids in Weaviles sweeping capabilities by eliminating hazards so Weavile does not kill himself through Life Orb and helping take out those Registeel who try and T-Wave Weavile, killing opposing Hitmontop is a MOST. Toxic replaced Mach Punch to fill Rotom Heat's Former Role.

Nixon (Weavile) (M) @ Life Orb
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Low Kick

I was drawn to this Pokemon after having most of my Battle Subway runs ended by him. He is SO fast and a great way to kill annoying Flygon, Zapdos, Shaymin and other Pokemon weakened by Kingdra and Escavalier. Ice Shard is chosen to hit Scarfed Flygon and Ice Punch wrecks Shaymin and Zapdos where Ice Shard falls short. Night Slash is chosen over Purist to hit Psychic's harder (Weavile is faster anyway and simply having the possibility if carrying Pursuit can be enough to keep the opponent from switching). Low Kick for fellow Darks, but namely for those annoying Normal types like Snorlax.

Former Members: Great Pokemon that I will have to use on a different team

TheRedDawn (Escavalier) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
- Substitute
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Thanks to Moo, my Escavalier is SO much better. Bulky Psychics are shredded by Megahorn and with the Speed investment, I can better avoid getting burned by Slowbro since Escavalier is now faster. Its also great when facing Bulky Grass types, but the threat of HP Fire is always scary.
Though a FANTASTIC Pokemon, the ability to straight wreck Psychic Pokemon began to feel a little redundant. Weavile, the sweeper I based my team around, preformed the same role and is MUCH faster. Escavalier is one of my favorite Pokemon from the new Generation, one that quickly earned a spot on my play through team alongside the mighty Tepig who I will never let evolve. I was disappointed to not be using him, but I can always try another team.

Mark Twain (Swampert) (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Torrent

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Being a bit a newbie, I can't say I know exactly how important entry hazards are, but seeing as how that can limit my opponents switching capabilities I really didn't want to have a team with Stealth Rocks. I really liked Gabite, but Swampert packs more bulk and greater power. A more offensive spread is used to really make use of Swampert's excellent attack. Its typing also provides the x4 resist to Fire to Gabite gave. A special attacking set is tempting though.
Swampert never seemed to "click" in the team. His introduction into the team only seemed to wear it down. He is a good Pokemon but whether it was my set or the way he was used, he just didn't quite work. So I replaced him with Empoleon, but while he could tank Special Attacks like a boss, it made eliminating Fighting types so much harder. It was then that I realized, if Fighting and Rock types are wearing my down, why don't I try something that resist them and an entry hazard they do not resist? And so came Roserade.

Billy Mays (Rotom-H) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Pain Split

A very nice Pokemon to have but it seemed to function to much like Zapdos.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, nice team. I've got a few suggestions for you:

Arcanine is a cool Pokemon, but your set is a bit strange. I mean, is it trying to wall special attackers? Is it trying to wall physical attackers? To me, it seems like it isn't doing anything in particular, and if that's the case, then it won't be as effective. I suggest changing it to the Bulky Attacker set:

Arcanine (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 180 HP / 144 Atk / 184 Spd
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Morning Sun
- Toxic

It's the same as your set, but the EVs and nature are just edited a little. Your team is a bit slow, seeing as 4 / 6 members don't have any Speed investment, but now, Arcanine will be able to pose some sort of offensive threat, while maintaining its great bulk and Intimidate at the same time. Arcanine's typing means it isn't suited too well to have its Special Defense maxed out anyway. Try out this set, and you'll notice a difference. It'll do great damage with Flare Blitz and ExtremeSpeed, which needs some Attack investment to be able to actually pick off weakened Pokemon.

Escavalier is a great mon, but I'm going to suggest two changes to its set. First, swap Return for Swords Dance. Return is completely filler, and it only really hits Zapdos anyway, and 10 bp more than Megahorn at that. With Swords Dance, Escavalier can boost its Attack stat to massive levels, meaning even bulky Water-types will not be able to take hits from it. Next, change its EV spread to 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd. This will let you outspeed Slowbro, which will burn you with Scald, or KO you with Fire Blast. With these new EVs, you'll be able Substitute as it switches in, set up with Swords Dance as it breaks your sub, and then KO it with Megahorn. Alternatively, you can just switch in, outspeed it and OHKO with Megahorn after Stealth Rock damage.

Good luck with the team, I hope I helped!

Thanks for your suggestion, although I am curious about the Arcanine spread.:

Arcanine (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 180 HP / 144 Atk / 184 Spd
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Morning Sun
- Toxic
With Escavalier, the 84 Speed allows him the outspeed Slowbro, but what will 184 allow Arcanine to too do? Indeed, my original set was quite weird. I wanted Arcanine to, not necessarily function as a physical or special wall, but act as a sort of..."pivot" switch thing if that makes sense. However, his lack of speed would sometimes prevent me from being able to heal. This new set is working well. Flare Blitz feels like its doing what its supposed too.

Escavalier is fantastic with Swords Dance, and the ability to outspeed Slowbro is very useful. When you said Megahorn only had 10 bp less than Return on Zapdos, I slashed it immediately. Swords Dance works VERY well.

I was checking your team and a choice scarf nidoking could be a thread to your team; it outspeeds weavile and can fire blast it ( escavalier also is at fire blast's aim), it can also survive arcanine's moves and use a earth power on it. I really don't know if Zapdos can be KOed by its ice beam, but it will be some damage. Kingdra can counter it but you got 2 dragon on team so it might not be an advantage , maybe a rotom wash(or heat) would be nice because it is immune to earth power ,ice beam and fire blast. I would keep Gabite because its earthquake can KO nidoking, but an experient trainer will safe it.

Enraikou, I am rockin' the Rotom Heat and it has been an absolute beast so far. I was sceptile because without Arcanine I would loose my intimidate, and Pain Spilt is not always as reliable as Morning Sun (but with if indeed Sand and Hail is as prevalent in UU as they say it might be better), but this things does what I need it to nicely.

My current set is:

Billy Mays (Rotom-H) @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Pain Split

The HP loss sort of blows and I loose extreme speed, but I gain a stab T-Bolt and an electric resist to help against enemy Zapdos. With levitate, Billy Mays laughs at spikes.

However, and it is a rather big however, it looks as if this set would dish out pathetic damage by the very same Scarfed Nidoking you mentioned. The best I could do is Pain Split him for damage.....wait hold on. A quick trip to Bulbapedia tells me Nidoking takes neutral damage from Fire type moves?! I had no idea Ground did not resist Fire. Well it looks as if my poor fluffy Arcanine will be sitting out for a spell.

Have you tried HP ground on rotom heat? it could make some damage on nidoking, and will also coverage zapdos and weavile against rock pokemons

Have you tried HP ground on rotom heat? it could make some damage on nidoking, and will also coverage zapdos and weavile against rock pokemons
After your suggestion I have tried out HP Ground, but I am not sure if I want to give up HP Fire yet. It can come as quite a surprise for Pokemon switches such as Rhyperior, but ideally I will switch to Kingdra if I can see it coming so as not to take a Stone Edge to my poor Rotom's face. I will certainly keep trying it out though as it would come in handy.

The set I was using was:

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Pain Split

The speed investment Allows Rotom-H to outspeed Timid Chandelure and max Speed Adamant Arcanine (although I am not exactly sure just how useful this is, but it seems to go along the lines of assisting my slower team like Moo pointed out). I was thinking considering dropping HP Grass on Zapdos and replacing it with Toxic, then Replacing Toxic with Overheat on Rotom. Without HP Grass I lose that nice hit on Swampert but then again, I am not sure Zapdos is the greatest Swampert counter ever, only 2 hit KOing it with HP grass so I will likely be taking a super effective Ice attack.

HP Fire is also nice when dealing with Heracross (who almost certainly carries Stone Edge), Shaymin and Roserade.

But my main reason behind HP Fire is Scarfed Heracross, a Pokemon tricky to deal with, especially if my opponent is using its unreleased Dream World Ability, Moxie.

Looks like the process is still cooking.

uhmm heracross is a thread to your team ,as you say..weaville, zapdos and arcanine are in danger. So what about putting a fighthing type pokemon, like machamp or gallade , so it could take the stone edge ,megahorn and earthquakes. But i don't know what pokemon those would replace, i though taking out weaville ; the problem is that you will lose a fast pokemon from your team.

I really don't want to replace Weavile. However, as I do have a three weaknesses to rocks it seems as if a rapid spinner could come in handy in the form of Hitmontop. Its just figuring out who to replace that is so difficult. A Psychic type could also help in Eliminating fighting types and allowing Weavile to have an easier time sweeping. But, that's yet another Pokemon to work in. So, what I have done is to revamp Zapdos's set to become far more offensive and added Extrasensory. I have also replaced Gabite with Hitmontop, but now I have no entry hazards.

What I will try to do is clean up my original post to show the updated version and put the original under one of those "Hide" tabs.

EDIT: The changes have been posted
EDIT 2: Swampert has replaced Kingdra as Swampert has similar Coverage and the ability to set of Stealth Rocks.

I guess I am supposed to *Bump ^ here or something

There have been some MAJOR changes to the team, though for the most part it feels like its for the better. I guess this can be considered "Phase 3" of the team. Phase 2 was marked by disaster on all sides. The suggestions that were given were great, but I really made a mess of things when i tried to work in a Pokemon that knew Stealth Rock simply because I felt like I needed it, which I did not.

Thanks to harsha2014, I tried assembling a team that would more focused towards "doing its job" which is allowing Weavile and Zapdos to sweep, rather than a formula, if that makes sense. My team had trouble with bulkier fighting Pokemon, Pokemon that resisted Stealth Rock, so why was I even bothering with it in the first place? Spikes Roserad not only helps Zapdos secure those KOs, it resits fighting types as well. Empoleon was a dreadful choice for a wall as it was weak to fighting. Suicune has preformed much better (I also had good results with one of my favorites Weezing, a phenomenal Heracorss counter, but with that making three Psychic weekness Azelf began to crush my dreams). I doubt this team is complete and is certainly not without flaws so keep the criticism coming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)