A wild Zubat appeared! What Pokemon have annoyed you the most in playthroughs and in general?

All Pokemon players have had their fair share of really lucky encounters-you know, the 5% odds that turn up on your first try. But which Pokemon have just annoyed you every time you saw them? Maybe that Pokemon who just happens to have an almost-competitive-level-moveset at the level you encountered it at? Or, maybe you're playing through the game and get completely walled by a random Trainer who happens to have a great strategy in battle. Which Pokemon have annoyed you the most?

Mine is probably (as shown by the title) Zubat, but I'm also frequently annoyed by most Bug 'Mons. Zubat in particular, though, as its moveset shows that it is literally only meant to annoy the crap out of you, with poisoning, confusion, and all the other junk. My Kartana, Lv. 100, had a real problem with those Lv. 10 Zubats. For once, I wanted one (SOS Shiny Hunting), but they actually nearly killed it with Confusion damage.

What are your experiences with such Pokemon?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
No wild Pokemon really bothers me because I just run away all the time. I don't remember failing to run away other than that time I had a Level 100 Trick Room Torkoal at the front of my party, which confused me at first. Other than Zubat, Tentacool is probably the closest thing because it's the only thing in oceans, found at high and low levels for some reason, and I don't like it that much. The other Pokemon found everywhere in the sea Wingull deserves a mention too, expecialy because of the name I gave the Shiny one I found in Omega Ruby, Inevitable.

Edit: Just realized this doesn't have to apply to just wild Pokemon. Pidove's evolution chain is almost personal. Roost, Detect, Air Slash, and Taunt... So many annoying moves, so much time to annoy me with.

Any overly repetitive things will be in this spot.

This means, Alolan pests are on this list. Both Yungoos and Rats. They badly affect the diversity of spawns in Alola, being endemic to almost all places.

With the advent of Wondertrade, any common scraps would be this too. Caterpie was high suspect in XY (and to lesser extent SM)

Zubat and Golbat obviously come first to mind because they always spam confusion moves and they're pretty fast so hard to run away at times, and I guess fleeing Pokémon like Abra and Crystal Teddiursa (that little f*ck was only available early in the morning and was tough to catch for such an early game mon) could count too.

One I discovered was super annoying tho was BW Watchog. There's what seems to be a perfect grinding spot in the tall grass in Route 7, where high leveled Zebstrika and Watchog appearand give a lot of experience. However, that rodent can be ridiculously annoying even with having no damaging moves. Super Fang and Confuse Ray can make battles last a long time when you can't OHKO them, and in double battles with Zebstrika it's even worse because that thing can do a lot with Spark. I had to keep Palpitoad in all the time when I was trying to evolve other mons simply because of that combination.
Also Lenora's Watchog is a bit dumb too with Hypnosis and Crunch plus that ridiculous first turn Retaliate. I think they made that mon with the sole purpose of being hated on, poor thing.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
One I discovered was super annoying tho was BW Watchog. There's what seems to be a perfect grinding spot in the tall grass in Route 7, where high leveled Zebstrika and Watchog appearand give a lot of experience. However, that rodent can be ridiculously annoying even with having no damaging moves. Super Fang and Confuse Ray can make battles last a long time when you can't OHKO them, and in double battles with Zebstrika it's even worse because that thing can do a lot with Spark. I had to keep Palpitoad in all the time when I was trying to evolve other mons simply because of that combination.
Also Lenora's Watchog is a bit dumb too with Hypnosis and Crunch plus that ridiculous first turn Retaliate. I think they made that mon with the sole purpose of being hated on, poor thing.
Man you beat me to it!

But yeah Watchog in BW1 is definitely up there. Not just in the ways you described, but also with Team Plasma. The grunts in particular spam Watchog starting from the midgame point and having to deal with Confuse Ray+Hypnosis+Super Fang is an incredibly annoying and obnoxious combo to deal with when dealing with those grunts. Granted, they also spam Liepard which has Fake Out, but that's no where near as bothersome as Watchog's sleep and confusion shenanigans that I constantly had to deal with multiple times whenever I was taking down Team Plasma.

Zubat can be annoying for sure, I agree. But I find Golbat to be much worse. It is faster, bulkier and hits harder. This is really annoying when training Pokémon against wild Golbat, or sometimes when you are just walking around in areas where wild Golbat can be found. I remember from back when I trained against wild Pokémon at Mt. Silver in G/S/C, Golbat was really annoying, especially with Confuse Ray. But it was still acceptable. But to get to the point, the very worst time I had against Golbat was in Moon. My in-game team there consisted of four and a half slowmons, making it extremely annoying whenever I faced any wild Golbat. The bats were faster than me, confused my Pokémon, made me unable to escape with Mean Look (their high Speed also meant I was unable to directly flee from the battles in many cases), they could Poison me, get Crits with Air Cutter, flinch with Air Slash, steal my HP with Leech Life or clear my stat changes with Haze... of course, they didn't have all these moves at once, but far too many of them. Playing through Moon made Golbat my third least favorite out of all Pokémon as I had somehow always managed to tolerate it before, but now I am no longer able to do so. I was very happy that the Zubat line was initially left out of S/S, and I'm not sure happy about it being brought back with the DLC. Fortunately, overworld encounters means it is no longer as annoying as in Gen 7!

Writing this also made me remember something from long ago. That there was a member on Serebiiforums in the distant past who really hated Golbat, he tried to create a "Golbat-haters club" or something, but it got disapproved. While I could understand his dislike for Golbat back then, I thought he was overexaggerating. But after my playthrough of Moon and my experiences with Golbat there, I would probably have joined that club afterwards if it had existed.

Those trainers in the Hearthome gym with a Misdreavus that spams pain split. Ghost is notoriously hard to counter in early game platinum, and Misdreavus has good stats at that point in the game. The Drifloons in the same gym are also notable because they spam minimise and they have aftermath.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The elemental monkeys in Gen V.

Not only are the designs super ugly and the Pokémon annoyingly bad, but whenever you see one, you just know the other two are right around the corner. "Aw, balls. Monkey. Here we go again". They always appear in a set of three. Either there's three consecutive trainers using one each, or you meet two in a double battle and the last one separately right afterwards, or one trainer may have all three.

I remember BW1 having a quite predictable set-up for route trainers: the trainers mostly used the Pokémon available in the wild in that area. The elemental monkeys were consistently an exception to this. I'm not going through all the trainer data to check, but playing the games it really feels like the monkeys are the only three Pokémon they bothered to use all over the region, with the caveat that they would always appear together.

Also, another nod to Yungoos, Alolan Rattata, and Wingull in Gen VII. These three Pokémon (although in reality you only ever meet two of them at any time) make up 60% of the wild encounters in over half the land routes of Alola. They are early-game crapmons players get tired of by the end of Route 3, yet somehow they follow you around the whole region, showing their ugly mug time and time again. Even on the last island, ostensibly meant to be a big nature reserve where you would at least expect to meet something different. But no, it's rats and Pelipper wherever you turn your head. This is spectacularly bad game design.

It might not be repetitive, but any time Wobbuffet shows up something is probably fainting. I despise it.
Think GF has acknowledged this by making Ghosts immune to Shadow Tag as of Gen 6... and wouldn’t you know it, Kalos has a serviceable Ghost-type right nearby for the catching (that is, if you haven’t already gotten one earlier coughHonedgecough). Same deal in Galar as well.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Clearly not enough people in this forum grew up with Diamond/Pearl because by far the most annoying Pokémon in the series for kids hasn't been brought up.

The worst part about Diamond/Pearl only having 2 Fire-Type mons, one being the starter and so easily missable, is that during the Mt. Coronet segment of the game it seems like almost every Galactic Grunt has a Bronzor. Bronzor is a Steel/Psychic type Pokémon, which is a type renowned for having only 2 weaknesses: Ground- and Fire-Type attacks. And Bronzor and Bronzong both have Levitate, so it's only weak to Fire-Type moves or, if you chose a different starter, Rapidash. Not to mention Bronzor are legitimately really bulky, and often used Confuse Ray or Hypnosis from memory. And these are actually annoying because they're trainer battles so you can't just run from them (I don't understand how any Wild Pokémon is annoying; use a repel or spam run). Interestingly enough, the Grunts no longer use Bronzor in Platinum, opting for a bevy of Dark-Type Pokémon such as Houndour and Murkrow instead.

Lucian's Bronzong gets a mention for the same thing. I never broke through it as a kid because I never figured out its one weakness, or my team didn't have anything capable of using Fire-Type attacks.

Last edited:
Clearly not enough people in this forum grew up with Diamond/Pearl because by far the most annoying Pokémon in the series for kids hasn't been brought up.

The worst part about Diamond/Pearl only having 2 Fire-Type mons, one being the starter and so easily missable, is that during the Mt. Coronet segment of the game it seems like almost every Galactic Grunt has a Bronzor. Bronzor is a Steel/Psychic type Pokémon, which is a type renowned for having only 2 weaknesses: Ground- and Fire-Type attacks. And Bronzor and Bronzong both have Levitate, so it's only weak to Fire-Type moves or, if you chose a different starter, Rapidash. Not to mention Bronzor are legitimately really bulky, and often used Confuse Ray or Hypnosis from memory. And these are actually annoying because they're trainer battles so you can't just run from them (I don't understand how any Wild Pokémon is annoying; use a repel or spam run). Interestingly enough, the Grunts no longer use Bronzor in Platinum, opting for a bevy of Dark-Type Pokémon such as Houndour and Murkrow instead.

Lucian's Bronzong gets a mention for the same thing. I never broke through it as a kid because I never figured out its one weakness, or my team didn't have anything capable of using Fire-Type attacks.
Spear Pillar Double Battle. Double Bronzor lead. What a nightmare. Literally nothing else on their teams gave me any problems, but those two refused to die.

Spear Pillar Double Battle. Double Bronzor lead. What a nightmare. Literally nothing else on their teams gave me any problems, but those two refused to die.
It doesn't help that Barry kicks off the battle with a Munchlax, which can't do squat to them. Someone was complaining about it in another thread.

Honestly, I'd really say it is [the worst partner mon in DPP] - at first glance, compared to the ones you've listed, it might not be. But it also has to be seen in context. Cheryl's Chansey and Buck's Claydol don't matter since you're literally just curbstomping everything you come across with ease; there's no major, tough battles and you don't care about the Pokémon you're partnered with because what really matters to you is the free Pokémon Center after every battle.
Tagging with Barry at Spear Pillar is a completely different situation. It's a boss battle, and admittedly a rather tough one at that. You're up against two admins with Pokémon that are either very strong or very annoying. There's no grunts or wild Pokémon to go through and there's no forced battles right after - if you're playing Platinum, which you should - so you don't really need a heal. So aside from tagging with Barry again at the Battle Zone, this is the only tag battle in the game where it actually matters what Pokémon your partner chooses. And they choose, for whatever reason, an annoying little bastard that does nothing but sit there and stockpile/swallow the entire fight, and MAAAAAAYBE it might OCCASIONALLY use Screech or Body Slam. Oh yeah, it's one attacking move is resisted by the first Pokémon sent out by the admins, great. And it doesn't even go down quickly because of it's defences and the Bronzor's dire attacks, gods. You need to specifically target it for it to go down at all until Barry finally sends out SOMETHING that can do some damage.
And hell, look at it atmosphere-wise. The world's about to collapse around you. You're up against two admins which have caused you nothing but grief the entire game and it's time to take them down as the last line of defence before facing the psychopathic Team Galactic Boss and the Legendary Pokémon he's summoning. If there was any time you needed help, it's now - and right out of nowhere, your rival and best friend shows up to help you! This is great! Let's kick some ass and save the world! ... then he sends out this little bugger that sits there the entire fight and does just about nothing to help you. Thanks, Barry. Oh, fight's over, you're going home now? Sure, that's... that's cool. Just leave us to fight the boss. Your contribution will be remembered. Couldn't have done it without you.

Zubat, Tentacool, regional rodents and birds in the early routes. Audino in almost every single shaking grass patch in Gen 5. Roggenrola, Basculin, Frillish.

Do Battle Facility opponents count? Because if so, then I have two more Pokémon that I want to talk about.

1612204558345.png

The first one is Cradily. I have had some really annoying battles against it through the years.

The first one was against a Cradily in the Battle Tower in Diamond back in 2008. I was playing Double and trying to win 100 battles in a row at the Tower to get the final TC upgrade I was after, using a team of Bronzong/Starly/Dusknoir/Exeggutor. I had used successfully won 100 battles in a row on Pearl with this team, now I was using it on Diamond as well. I had lost once along the way, but I knew I could make it since I had done it on Pearl, so I made another try. I managed to make it far, and late in the streak (it was either battle #99 or #100, don't remember exactly which) I got into a battle where I only had my Dusknoir left against a Cradily. I don't remember exactly how I ended up in that situation, but I believe it was a combination of misplay from my side and good moves from my opponent. Either way, it became a long stall battle.

The Cradily had a moveset of Toxic/Double Team/Stockpile/Ingrain and it was holding a Leftovers, while my Dusknoir had a moveset of Night Shade/Will-O-Wisp/Protect/Rest and was also holding a Leftovers. The Cradily couldn't KO my Dusknoir with Toxic because I had Rest, but I could not hit it much either because of Double Team. It quickly got to +6 Evasion, I only managed to hit it with one Night Shade and burn it with Will-O-Wisp. Then, at the end of every turn, it would recover back the HP it had lost from the burn with Leftovers and Ingrain. It made the battle take forever, I'm glad I play with animations off so that it was at least somewhat bearable. The battle came down to struggling in the end, and I did not know that the Struggle mechanics had changed from Gen 3 before that battle, so I got super scared when I saw Dusknoir hit Cradily through +6 Evasion and lose 1/4 of its HP in the process. Dusknoir started to Struggle one turn before Cradily, but I still managed to win because I was at full HP while the Cradily was not. That battle was extremely painful, it took so long to complete to the point that all battles I had afterwards felt like they went by extremely fast in comparison. Back then, it was the worst stall battle I had ever had, and it was one of my earliest stall battles too. I still consider it one of my most memorable battles ever.

However, that was not the end. A few years later, in 2014, I was battling in the Battle Maison in X. There, I got into another stall battle against a Cradily! XY Battle Video: Q9HW-WWWW-WWW4-PEBB if anyone wants to see that. I don't think it was quite as bad as the battle in Diamond though, and I won this one as well. But then, a few battles later, I ended up losing that streak... against a Cradily!

There was also one time in the Platinum Battle Factory where I met another Toxicstalling Cradily and lost, even if I had a Magnezone on my team. However, I made a mistake in that battle as I used Thunder Wave to paralyze the Cradily, essentially giving it more turns since it could now become fully paralyzed when it got lucky, prolonging its life before it could start to struggle. That ended up costing me the battle.

Because of these battles, I always feel a bit of fear whenever I see a Cradily in any Battle Facility. I like to think of it as one of my unlucky opponents in Battle Facilities.

1612204570787.png

The second one is Escavalier. Not as bad as Cradily, but still annoying.

In the Battle Subway, I have experienced many losses and hard battles against Escavalier, especially Escavalier-4. The combination of Megahorn, Custap Berry, Swagger, good bulk and only one weakness (Fire, a type I usually did not have any offensive moves from) usually ended up giving me trouble. I could almost never OHKO Escavalier and it could usually KO me back or at least cause massive trouble in some way. I lost several battles where I was up against Escavalier, mostly in Double but two in Single as well. One of these was last year during my return to the Subway. It was against Escavalier-1 and it was in Battle #2, an early and very embarassing loss. There was also one time at the Battle Maison in X where I lost agaisnt a team featuring an Escavalier. It was when where my Super Rotation streak ended, I recall it involving a bit of misplay from my side too. Because of all these losses, I consider Escavalier to be another of my unlucky opponents in Battle Facilities.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I don't use Repels because I'm way too stingy with way too easy to get money and I'm paranoid that I might miss a Shiny that I would have found if I hadn't used the Repels, but as I said before, I don't care because I run from everything. I just remembered the problem with that, Arena Trap. Hoenn's Desert has way too many Trapinch (It's apparently 20%, but it feels like much more) and guess what I keep running into in Diglett Cave.

Zubat, Tentacool, regional rodents and birds in the early routes. Audino in almost every single shaking grass patch in Gen 5. Roggenrola, Basculin, Frillish.
Audino gives tons of Exp when it's KOed so a lot of people are glad it's really common. It's pretty good after defeating all the trainers in the area or if you think it's more fun that doing the Eliet Four over and over. The rest of why you said is definitely stuff most people get sick of quickly.

The Cradily had a moveset of Toxic/Double Team
That's when I thought, "Yep..."

Can I say moves like Sand Attack or Double Team? If not, everything that knows those moves. Other than that one time Sand Attack was used on my Toxapex that didn't have any moves that used Accuracy, facing those moves is never fun. I remember Emerald's Water Gym Leader's Kingdra using Struggle because it knew Double Team AND Rest! Worst. Gym. Ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)