A world without TV ...

I don't think the world would be better without TV. Not that its better with it, I just think its dumb to think that people who spend their time rotting in front of the TV will suddenly explode into great feats of wisdom and intellect if TV was eliminated. With all the bad that comes with TV, the good is too important. Who here wants to give up the emergency broadcast system?

I suggest only banning some TV. Heres a list of TV shows that should be banned for starters. of course everything on MTV, FOX"news" and Nickelodeon are no brainers as they're the worst television networks in the universe.

Shows to Ban.
=============
Survivor/other "reality" shows- just stupid.

American Idol- I hate this show so much. It wouldn't be bad if it helped actual artists make it big, But all they want is another soulless pop singer with a pretty voice to sell records to people with bad taste in music.

Maury Povich- YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER LOL! snore...

Jerry Springer- Good for laughs, but being shot in the eyeballs with the worst humanity has to offer gets depressing.

All court shows except Judge Mathis.- Judge Judy is an annoying evil witch and the others are just mediocre.

Last call with Carson Daly- He's just not funny at all. Just go back to showing conan/leno reruns or get someone with talent to do the show.

Extra/Inside Edition/access hollywood/ect.- Nobody with a life of their own cares about this celebrity news garbage.

Theres more but this post is long enough.

A world where TV was removed would be hell, in my opinion. People would go stir-crazy with boredom. I'd be pretty disappointed. TV makes for a good discussion subject (did you watch SUV last night?) and a good time waster. Some adults (like my parents) only watch it for the news and home keeping shows though. I watch it when there's nothing to do. Generally I avoid TV.

Seeing television is one of the biggest sources of entertainment and information around the world, I'd say losing it would cause a big impact.

I'd rather discuss this in another point of view: what if it never existed. Before television, the most common mean of communication was the radio, which featured a lot of shows the television does, such as news reports, soaps and sport events. However, television added something new: image. If it weren't for this feature, things that use a moniter would most likely not exist.
You can still receive news and entertainment from the radio. TV brings image which is why many people do nothing but sit to receive its information. TV is so engaging that social interactions between people in communities drops. The image factor is also a reason why so many people are so self conscious. TV has also changed a lot from past, many new crap shows are being fed into society people rather watch crap than more beneficial programs. In theory TV is a very good addition to society, the reality of this may differ

I never said image had a positive effect on people. Personally, I don't really watch much TV, save a few shows.

As a machine that is able to recieve electromagnetic waves and turn them into image and sound, I think it's essential for todays technology to exist, so saying television should have never existed is being idiotic.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
lol dude thats a little funny coming from someone who made a thread about the radio, wouldnt you say? radio would pick up the slack entirely with regards to the news and such.

visual news is almost completely unnecessary. seeing footage of the events after a car wreck or something will do nothing but stir up more emotion; it does not educate you on the matter any more than hearing about it on the radio does.
i guess. i listen to radio far more than i watch tv - i was just stipulating what may happen in a world without the technology to broadcast information as a whole. less important news can require more visual output to keep listeners interested - whenever i listen to it i am usually doing something else at the time which is why television is such a wholly consuming environment. it uses your two main senses which limits the things you can do at the same time.

First of all I don't see how having no T.V would make people automatically want to exercise or read. They would probably find something else to do. T.V shows have degraded severly in quality. Nobody uses anything original or witty anymore, they just use whatever's popular at the time. American T.V seems to have the worst of it. I rarely watch T.V and when I do I watch intellectual shows rather than the garbage everyone else seems to watch. I mainly use my T.V for video games and when I want to watch something good I just watch some quality anime on my computer.

Soooo, it would be essentially the end of news, live sports, weather, recorded performances, etc? And that's good?
I find it funny that 3/4 of the posts in this thread say the same thing: "Oh, TV ROTS YOUR BRAIN WITH EVIL RAYS, and should be banned! Well, not banned, they should just get rid of *insert list of shows you don't like here*".
Seriously, think about what you are saying. No more movies, no more plays, no more of any form of news, weather, or sports coverage that includes picture, which is a huge part of the experience. Who's to say people wouldn't just listen to radios as much as they watch TV now?

A world without TV, if it was never invented, would be a very difficult place to live in, however, if it was never invented, then we wouldn't know.

If tv was to be wiped off the face of the planet right now, that would be a different story, tv is communication. you just have to have it :)!

when i go camping or somthing of the same nature then i can live without t.v for ever. when i am at home and u take t.v away its a different story. not saying i watch t.v all the time but theres a few good shows i watch. but i normaly watch/listen to the t.v when i do other things like when i do my homework or when iam on the computer.

so if there was no t.v then i would go camping for the rest of my life =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)