Ability Unity!

It's been a long time since I last edited the OP... (January as a matter of fact) but I think I should make some changes.

Here some possible ability ban changes:

Unbanning of Adaptability (Post above best explains)
Banning of Speed Boost (Infernape, Emboar etc. )
Banning of Gale Wings (Moltres etc. )
Banning of Drizzle (All water-types)
Banning of Drought (All fire-types)
Removal of Kyurem-B from 'possible-ban' list (Why is it here anyway, it only gets Turboblaze and Mold Breaker)
Removal of Flare Boost from 'possible-ban' list (Literally no other Pokemon other than the Drifblim family get it)
Banning of Prankster (Mandibuzz etc)

What do you think?

Also, thanks for all the sets, I will add them to the OP when I can. :)

It's been a long time since I last edited the OP... (January as a matter of fact) but I think I should make some changes.

Unbanning of Adaptability (Post above best explains)
Banning of Speed Boost (Infernape, Emboar etc. )
Banning of Gale Wings (Moltres etc. )
Banning of Drizzle (All water-types)
Banning of Drought (All fire-types)
Removal of Kyurem-B from 'possible-ban' list (Why is it here anyway, it only gets Turboblaze and Mold Breaker)
Removal of Flare Boost from 'possible-ban' list (Literally no other Pokemon other than the Drifblim family get it)

What do you think?

Because this is an ability meta, I'll explain this based on AAA.

Adaptability Unban: yes. I explained it

Gale Wings: the fact that it isn't banned in AAA means it isn't that broken. And its limited to Normal/Flyings and Fire/Flyings, so there is a limiter for them, namely Stealth Rock. I'd keep it just because its not banned in AAA.

Drizzle and Drought: again, its not banned in AAA. It only boost one type move, namely Water and Fire moves (as well as making some moves accurate). Its not that bad since it got nerfed in gen 6 to 5/8 turns. Even with Swift Swim or Chlorophyll, I don't think its broken.

Speed Boost: Idk about this one. Its banned in AAA, but its because there are plenty of abusers there. For Infernape and Emboar, I think we need time to test this, because they are UU pokes, not OU. You can argue that Blaziken went to Uber with this, but more pokes got Gale Wings here, so it has its own limiters. I'm neutral about this.

Prankster: Not banned in AAA, which has more abusers than here, so I don't think it's broken.

I know this might seem weird but let's talk about Cheek Pouch!

When doing /ds Cheek Pouch you get

Bunnelby, Diggersby, Deddene

This Works With:

Pure Normal Types: Yes i know this is the only type that gets it that normally doesn't, but still, one thing that stands out is Belly Drum Linoone. It get's you all the way to full health and at +4. So I thought it was interesting

Let's Talk about Chlorophyll

When doing /ds Chlorophyll you get

Bellossom, Bellsprout, Bulbasaur, Cherubi, Cottonee, Deerling, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Gloom, Hoppip, Ivysaur, Jumpluff, Leafeon, Leavanny, Lilligant, Maractus, Nuzleaf, Oddish, Petilil, Sawsbuck, Seedot, Sewaddle, Shiftry, Skiploom, Sunflora, Sunkern, Swadloon, Tangela, Tangrowth, Tropius, Venusaur, Victreebel, Vileplume, Weepinbell, Whimsicott

This leaves you with

Pure Grass Types: I personally think that Gogoat and/or Shaymin-Land would get immense help from this with the former having 62/81 defenses but with access to EQ and Rock Slide and having it's speed being doubled (Max neutral nature being 470) it can outspeed and ohko Char-Y with rock slide (252+ Atk Gogoat Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 368-436 (123.9 - 146.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and 2HKO Char X with EQ (252+ Atk Gogoat Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 182-216 (61.2 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) while Shaymin can finally deal with his "faster fire types" problem by now being to outspeed and kill with Earth Power (No calc needed, you know it'll kil)

Grass/Poison: The main benefactor of this Roserade with it's uninvested speed going to 558, demolishing speeds making a very good special attacker after getting it's hazards up.

That's basically it

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Let's Talk about Chlorophyll

When doing /ds Chlorophyll you get

Bellossom, Bellsprout, Bulbasaur, Cherubi, Cottonee, Deerling, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Gloom, Hoppip, Ivysaur, Jumpluff, Leafeon, Leavanny, Lilligant, Maractus, Nuzleaf, Oddish, Petilil, Sawsbuck, Seedot, Sewaddle, Shiftry, Skiploom, Sunflora, Sunkern, Swadloon, Tangela, Tangrowth, Tropius, Venusaur, Victreebel, Vileplume, Weepinbell, Whimsicott

This leaves you with

Pure Grass Types: I personally think that Gogoat and/or Shaymin-Land would get immense help from this with the former having 62/81 defenses but with access to EQ and Rock Slide and having it's speed being doubled (Max neutral nature being 470) it can outspeed and ohko Char-Y with rock slide (252+ Atk Gogoat Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 368-436 (123.9 - 146.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and 2HKO Char X with EQ (252+ Atk Gogoat Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 182-216 (61.2 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) while Shaymin can finally deal with his "faster fire types" problem by now being to outspeed and kill with Earth Power (No calc needed, you know it'll kil)

Grass/Poison: The main benefactor of this Roserade with it's uninvested speed going to 558, demolishing speeds making a very good special attacker after getting it's hazards up.

That's basically it
Don't forget Celebi can get it as well because of Exeggutor. Roserade however is probably the biggest threat, as 252 SpA with Modest and a Life Orb will hit very hard, and it has good moves including Giga Drain/Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb, Dazzling Gleam, Weather Ball (100 BP Fire-type move in Sun), Extrasensory, Shadow Ball, and Sleep Powder. Something like this probably:

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Energy Ball/Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball
- Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam/Sleep Powder

Shadow Ball gets you perfect neutral coverage, Dazzling Gleam nets you SE hits on 472 Pokemon (not perfect coverage though, as it fails to hit Chandelure, but close enough), and Sleep Powder buys you opportunities to rip open holes

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor

Unbanning of Adaptability (Post above best explains) I have to agree on this one
Banning of Speed Boost (Infernape, Emboar etc. ) I agree
Banning of Gale Wings (Moltres etc. ) This one we should wait to see what the meta is like first IMO
Banning of Drizzle (All water-types) No, first of all unless your planing on creating a full on rain team then this abillity is completely outclassed by Primodial Sea (Permanent Rain when you switch in, blocks other weathers that aren't coming from Desolate Land or Delta Stream, a complete immunity to fire,, and your opponent can't use it against you for your other mons). Second, i don't see rain becoming much of a problem in this meta, because while there are more swift swimers, there is also more protection against rain in general
Banning of Drought (All fire-types) Also no, although imo this is better than Drizzle for supportive reasons, since mono ground types can use it to power down water type moves, although only hippowdon really benefits from this.But back on topic, this has the same problem with Drizzle where while there are more sun abusers out there, at the same time there is also more anti weather available
Removal of Kyurem-B from 'possible-ban' list (Why is it here anyway, it only gets Turboblaze and Mold Breaker) I agree, but it gets Pressure not Mold Breaker for clarification
Removal of Flare Boost from 'possible-ban' list (Literally no other Pokemon other than the Drifblim family get it) Yes
Probably yes, now lets look at the types that get it:
Dark/Flying
Dark/Ghost
Mono Bug

Mono Ghost
Mono Fighting
Mono Dark
Electric/Flying
Mono Psychic
Steel/Fairy

Now looking at this list, we can already see that some extremely annoying shit has gained access to prankster, we can now see stuff like Prankster Spirtomb (Which for the most part is a complete upgrade of Base Sableye), prankster Zapdos which is pretty much a direct upgrade of support thundurus, prankster mew, amd prankster mandibuzz. A fair amount of offensive mons also have some pretty good moves to use with it, such as Absol and Conkeldurr

What do you think?

Responses in Italics and Bold

Let's Look at Battle/Shell Armor

When doing /ds Battle Armor you get

Anorith, Armaldo, Cubone, Drapion, Kabuto, Kabutops, Marowak, Skorupi

And Shell Armor get's you

Clamperl, Cloyster, Corphish, Crawdaunt, Crustle, Dewott, Dwebble, Escavalier, Grotle, Kingler, Krabby, Lapras, Omanyte, Omastar, Oshawott, Samurott, Shellder, Shelmet, Slowbro-Mega, Torkoal, Torterra, Turtwig

Pure Ground Types: Sure you most likely would want to run sand stream Hippowdon, but this could also work if you want to be more bulky on a non sand team

Rock/Water Types: Barbaracle and Carracosta benefit from this as they both are set up sweepers. People might think these abilities affect stally set up mons. but when you have the power, you don't want to go down to a crit.

Pure Water Types: Suicune is a good with Shell Armor as it is one of the most infamous CM stallers and it wouldn't be nice for it to die of a crit. This could also work with Alomomola and Milotic.

That's basically all that i could fine that would work

I think I'll talk about Prankster a bit (even though The Pizza Man kinda beat me to the punch).

Typings:
  • Ghost (Banette-Mega)
  • Grass/Fairy (Cottonee, Whimsicott)
  • Flying (Tornadus-I)
  • Electric/Flying (Thundurus-I)
  • Steel/Fairy (Klefki)
  • Dark/Flying (Murkrow)
  • Dark/Ghost (Sableye)
  • Bug (Volbeat, Illumise)
  • Fighting (Riolu)
  • Dark (Purrloin, Liepard)
  • Psychic (Meowstic-M)
Ghost: Misdreavus, Shuppet, Banette, Banette-Mega, Duskull, Dusclops, Mismagius, Dusknoir, Yamask, Cofagrigus
Grass/Fairy: Cottonee, Whimsicott
Flying: Tornadus-I, Tornadus-T
Electric/Flying: Zapdos, Rotom-S, Emolga, Thundurus-I, Thundurus-T
Steel/Fairy: Mawile, Klefki
Dark/Flying: Murkrow, Honchkrow, Vullaby, Mandibuzz
Dark/Ghost: Sableye, Spiritomb
Bug: Caterpie, Metapod, Pinsir, Pineco, Wurmple, Silcoon, Cascoon, Volbeat, Illumise, Kricketot, Kricketune, Burmy, Karrablast, Shelmet, Accelgor, Scatterbug, Spewpa
Fighting: Mankey, Primeape, Machop, Machoke, Machamp, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Tyrogue, Hitmontop, Makuhita, Hariyama, Riolu, Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr, Throh, Sawk, Mienfoo, Mienshao, Pancham
Dark: Umbreon, Poochyena, Mightyena, Absol, Purrloin, Liepard, Zorua, Zoroark
Psychic: Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Drowzee, Hypno, Mew, Espeon, Unown, Wobbuffet, Spoink, Grumpig, Chimecho, Wynaut, Chingling, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Cresselia, Munna, Musharna, Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle, Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus, Elgyem, Beheeyem, Espurr, Meowstic-M, Meowstic-F
lol Prankster Harden Metapod

Now, first off, let this sink in: Prankster Mew. Prankster. freaking. Mew.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- filler

With above average 100/100/100 bulk and a movepool second only to Smeargle, Mew is undoubtedly the most notable user of Prankster. It can Taunt anything, it can burn anything, it can recover whenever it wants to... Its only competition outside of ridiculously hard hitters comes from Magic Bounce and faster Prankster users with Taunt. Magic Bounce could be quite a problem (I'll get to that later) that might require U-turn or Volt Switch in the last slot. However, the only faster Prankster users with Taunt are (in descending order of Speed): Tornadus-T, Alakazam, Whimsicott, Azelf, Thundurus-I, Tornadus-I, Liepard, Kadabra, Mienshao, Zoroark, Emolga, and Thundurus-T. All of these are either frail or just don't pose any sort of threat otherwise (although Zoroark is probably the worst of these threats as it has a powerful Pursuit to punish Mew on the switch out).

Another interesting thing about Prankster is its synergy with Copycat. Sadly, the only users outside of its existing users (Riolu, Purrloin, and Liepard) are the Zoroark line and Mesprit. Zoroark already has priority in Sucker Punch, and Mesprit's typing requires it to run coverage alongside its STAB (although that might be the only disadvantage of Mesprit). So, I'm thinking the set that makes the best use of Copycat would be:

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Copycat

(EV spread may vary)

Also, Fighting-types with SubPunch (i.e., pretty much all Fighting-types) become more viable with it, and Wobbuffet gets Prankster Encore and Destiny Bond.

For now, I'm saying ban, just because of how greatly Mew can abuse it.

Now, Magic Bounce.

Typings:
  • Dark/Ghost (Sableye-Mega)
  • Dark (Absol-Mega)
  • Rock/Fairy (Diancie-Mega)
  • Psychic/Flying (Natu, Xatu)
  • Psychic (Espeon)
Dark/Ghost: Sableye, Sableye-Mega, Spiritomb
Dark: Umbreon, Poochyena, Mightyena, Absol, Absol-Mega, Purrloin, Liepard, Zorua, Zoroark
Rock/Fairy: Carbink, Diancie, Diancie-Mega
Psychic/Flying: Natu, Xatu, Woobat, Swoobat, Sigilyph
Psychic: Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Drowzee, Hypno, Mew, Espeon, Unown, Wobbuffet, Spoink, Grumpig, Chimecho, Wynaut, Chingling, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Cresselia, Munna, Musharna, Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle, Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus, Elgyem, Beheeyem, Espurr, Meowstic-M, Meowstic-F

Not many users, let alone notable users. Honestly, the best use of Magic Bounce is to prevent Taunt, status, and hazards. I suppose the best user would have to be regular Diancie because it resists Knock Off and U-turn, would ordinarily hate Taunt, and has better bulk than its Mega counterpart.

Set:

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Another notable user would be Cresselia because it has the best bulk (of the Magic Bounce users, anyway) and access to a recovery move.

I may add more later, but I have other matters to settle right now.

If Adaptability is unbanned, we have BellySpeed Adaptability Linoone. Scary...
At the same time, it doesn't have much else going for it. You NEED to get rid of Steel types before you use it and since everything else can hit so hard, the only way you can safely switch in is on a choice'd ghost move.

If Adaptability is unbanned, we have BellySpeed Adaptability Linoone. Scary...
Protean would be better I think. It may have less powerful Extremespeed, but it makes your Shadow Claw and Seed Bomb hits harder vs Steel, Ghost and Rock types (and bulkier pokes in general).

Without Protean:
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 328-386 (78 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

With Protean:
+6 252+ Atk Protean Linoone Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 492-578 (117.1 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I also just revived this thread... right?
A Lil. :)

Also, Moltres can have Drought AND solar power. Doesn't use up a Mevo slot so it can spam LO fire blast(or flamthrower)all damn day. Or solar power, which makes it a fearsome wallbreaker. Basically a slower-yet more powerful charizard.

Edit: Can't wait to play this meta. Hope it finds a server

Part of me is questioning the legitimacy of a Lure Dragonite... I used something based on the same concept in BW for trolling around.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (or Timid, but I feel it can use more power)
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost/Surf

Simple set of sorts. Dragonite is the ONLY Pokemon with both Hurricane AND Thunder (besides Smeargle). Most people might expect a physically offensive set when they see Dragonite, but this one can be unexpected in Team Preview.

Here's another variant that doesn't overtly show your plan like Primordial Sea does. I can't EV defensive stuff but here's something

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: Something Defensive
Calm Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Rest

Could be fun. Doesn't kill much, but gives you a surprise factor. The focus is still on Dragonite trying to Hurricane stuff in the rain. Your opponent sees your Dragonite and thinks you will set up with Dragon Dance. He switches to a Physically Defensive Skarmory when you use Rain Dance. Now, if you don't think he'll switch because he's thoroughly confused, you hit it with Thunder and do about 2/3rd damage with no investment. Then, if you ever get hurt too much, you just use Rest and heal 100%.

A lot of other Pokemon can do this better. But you might expect this on other Pokemon (like CroCune where you just replace Sleep Talk with Rain Dance) so it's all surprise.

EDIT: Turns out I was thinking of the wrong thing here...

Actually, since I can say I thought of it first...

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Rain Dance

If you can't figure out what to do, then "git good" as they say.

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Part of me is questioning the legitimacy of a Lure Dragonite... I used something based on the same concept in BW for trolling around.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (or Timid, but I feel it can use more power)
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost/Surf

Simple set of sorts. Dragonite is the ONLY Pokemon with both Hurricane AND Thunder (besides Smeargle). Most people might expect a physically offensive set when they see Dragonite, but this one can be unexpected in Team Preview
too bad kyogre isnt dragon/flying lol allthough it could make for a decent delta stream user i guess

I also wish to talk about useful pre-Mega abilities, starting with Intimidate.

Megas with access to Intimidate pre-Mega: Pidgeot, Gyarados, Ampharos, Manectric, Altaria, Absol, Lopunny, Audino

I think the best candidate for Intimidate would be:

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

If you like Intimidate, get a load of this. This variant of Manectric always has Intimidate, mega or not, and it can double Intimidate upon mega evolving. It also has Volt Switch for easy switching, giving it the ability to support its other team members with Intimidate.

Honorable mention to Altaria, which has decent bulk to complement Intimidate, making it easier to set up Dragon Dance.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Next up: Frisk.

Megas with access to Frisk pre-Mega: Alakazam, Banette, Altaria, Lopunny, Audino

Very thin distribution, and nothing on the list gets U-turn or Volt Switch (the closest match is Lopunny with Baton Pass). Still, it can be helpful in some situations to hinder the opponent's ability to bluff items.

Weather abilities are useful although limited. Drizzle is exclusive to Mega Blastoise, and basically any Water-type with Primordial Sea would be a better substitute. Drought is limited to Charizard, and that's only useful in case you need sun for Mega Charizard X (sun-boosted Tough Claws Flare Blitz...oh boy). No need to even mention Sand Stream or Snow Warning; those are limited to Tyranitar and Abomasnow, respectively.

Competitive and Defiant can be used as measures against Intimidate and/or Sticky Web. Blastoise has access to both, Alakazam to Competitive, and Pidgeot, Lopunny, and Audino to Defiant. Defiant is questionable on Pidgeot, Audino, and Blastoise, but every other combination is perfectly usable.

Contrary is another way of dealing with Intimidate and Sticky Web. Sceptile, Lopunny, and Audino all have access to this ability, and it's a good way to discourage the use of Sticky Web or to make the opponent think twice about Intimidating Lopunny on sight.

Download can be pretty scary. You have Lopunny or Scizor switch in on a physically specially defensive Pokémon and wreak some havoc (or even Baton Pass the boost, which is especially possible with Lopunny). Audino gets it too, but Mega Audino is a joke.

Man, speaking of Download passing...

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Download
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

I can imagine this being a fun set. Upon receiving a Download boost, you can either Baton Pass it or abuse it, perhaps even both. If it's Special Attack, you can just pass it away, but it's harder to decide with Attack boosts.

Absol seems to be the only Mega with access to Illusion pre-Mega. This is a neat idea because, in addition to playing mind games in terms of typing, you can trick people by disguising Absol as a potential lead or something that hates status and using the Mega evolution to bounce away the Taunt, Stealth Rock, Will-o, T-wave, or whatever.

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Regenerator can give a Pokémon incentive to switch around prior to Mega-evolving. Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Alakazam, Slowbro, Sceptile, Lopunny, and Audino have access to this.

I already mentioned Magic Bounce. Alakazam, Sableye, Absol, Diancie.

Justified can be abused by Absol, Gallade, or Medicham in order to gain an Attack boost from Knock Off and wreak havoc.

Maybe Rattled can actually be useful. Switch in on a U-turn or Knock Off with Blastoise, Absol, Glalie, Lopunny, or Audino (preferably not the last) in order to gain a free Speed boost. N.B.: Absol does not appreciate U-turn.

I don't know how helpful Trace can be, but users include Alakazam, Gardevoir, Lopunny, and Audino.

Weak Armor...uh, Glalie gets it, but with its frailty and poor defensive typing, it would probably be better off with something else.

Natural Cure can be used pre-Mega to absorb an incoming status and remove it on the switch. Users: Venusaur, Blastoise, Pidgeot, Slowbro, Sceptile, Altaria, Lopunny, Audino

Thick Fat (Venusaur, Blastoise, Alakazam, Lopunny, Audino) and Heatproof (Metagross) are of questionable use, but they could be useful somehow(?).

Immunifying abilities
  • Bulletproof: Sceptile
  • Desolate Land: Camerupt
  • Dry Skin: none
  • Flash Fire: Houndoom
  • Levitate: Alakazam, Ampharos, Sceptile, Manectric, Banette, Glalie, Metagross, Latios, Latias, Garchomp
  • Lightningrod: Blastoise, Ampharos, Manectric
  • Motor Drive: Ampharos, Manectric
  • Primordial Sea: Blastoise
  • Sap Sipper: Ampharos, Manectric, Lopunny, Audino
  • Soundproof: Ampharos, Gardevoir, Manectric, Aggron, Lopunny, Abomasnow, Audino
  • Storm Drain: Blastoise, Sceptile, Swampert
  • Volt Absorb: Ampharos, Manectric
  • Water Absorb: Blastoise, Gyarados, Sceptile, Swampert
Overall, I have to say there's not much of interest here. The most notable on the list, I have to say, would be Lightningrod Blastoise (thank you Seaking). Other interesting ones are Desolate Land Camerupt (not for mega, though), Levitate Manectric/Ampharos, Sap Sipper Lopunny, and Storm Drain Sceptile (absorbs Water-moves in non-Mega form and Electric-moves in Mega form, both for potential Special Attack boosts). Bulletproof Sceptile seems pretty interesting as well, but questionable in use (immune to Sludge Bomb and Weather Ball pre-Mega).

Abilities immune to status conditions and stat drops
  • Aroma Veil: none
  • Big Pecks: Pidgeot, Gyarados
  • Clear Body: Glalie, Metagross, Diancie
  • Hyper Cutter: Blastoise, Pinsir
  • Immunity: Lopunny, Audino
  • Insomnia: Beedrill, Pidgeot, Alakazam, Banette
  • Limber: Absol, Lopunny, Audino
  • Magma Armor: Camerupt
  • Oblivious: Blastoise, Pinsir, Slowbro, Swampert, Camerupt, Lopunny, Audino
  • Own Tempo: Alakazam, Slowbro, Sceptile, Camerupt, Glalie, Lopunny, Audino
  • Sweet Veil: none
  • Vital Spirit: Ampharos, Manectric, Lopunny, Audino
  • Water Veil: Blastoise, Gyarados
  • White Smoke: none
Most of these are pretty useless (read: Big Pecks, Magma Armor), but some can be used to switch in on things like Intimidate and detrimental status (although Absol would much prefer Magic Bounce over Limber).

Magic Guard is also a notable pre-Mega ability, but Alakazam is literally the only Mega that gets it pre-Mega.

Moxie would be useful too, but the only Megas that have it pre-Mega are those who get it naturally (Pinsir, Gyarados, Heracross), Absol, and Altaria. I mean, Absol has Sucker Punch going for it, but everything else is too slow to make good use of the ability.

Now, I shall conclude this post with a list of what I think are the best pre-Mega abilities for Mega Pokémon.
: Regenerator
: Drought (X) or Regenerator (Y)
: Lightningrod
: Insomnia
: Intimidate
: Competitive
: Hyper Cutter
: Pressure
(joke): Sand Rush
: Download
: Moxie
: Flash Fire
: Sand Stream
: Contrary
: Water Absorb
: Trace
: Magic Bounce
: Soundproof (or maybe Magnet Pull?)
: Justified
: Speed Boost
: Desolate Land
: Frisk
: Illusion or Moxie, depending on playstyle
: Rattled
: Clear Body
: Levitate
: Levitate (maybe Aura Break as a situational counter to Fairy Aura)
: Soundproof or Snow Warning, depending on team needs
(joke): Intimidate

Last edited:
All sets shown will be added to the OP :]
Anyway, thank you for all the feedback, the changes have been decided:

Adaptability will be unbanned.
Speed Boost
will be banned.
Gale Wings
will be kept as it is, not banned, for now.
Drizzle
and Drought will be kept as they are, not banned.
Kyurem-B
and Flare Boost will be removed from the possible-ban-list.
Prankster
will be banned. (This one was quite close)
Wonder Guard will be unbanned. (Thank you PieRomancer)

Hopefully the meta may be playable soon, and if you have any questions please ask.

I also wish to talk about useful pre-Mega abilities, starting with Intimidate.

Megas with access to Intimidate pre-Mega: Pidgeot, Gyarados, Ampharos, Manectric, Altaria, Absol, Lopunny, Audino

I think the best candidate for Intimidate would be:

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

If you like Intimidate, get a load of this. This variant of Manectric always has Intimidate, mega or not, and it can double Intimidate upon mega evolving. It also has Volt Switch for easy switching, giving it the ability to support its other team members with Intimidate.

Honorable mention to Altaria, which has decent bulk to complement Intimidate, making it easier to set up Dragon Dance.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Next up: Frisk.

Megas with access to Frisk pre-Mega: Alakazam, Banette, Altaria, Lopunny, Audino

Very thin distribution, and nothing on the list gets U-turn or Volt Switch (the closest match is Lopunny with Baton Pass). Still, it can be helpful in some situations to hinder the opponent's ability to bluff items.

Weather abilities are useful although limited. Drizzle is exclusive to Mega Blastoise, and basically any Water-type with Primordial Sea would be a better substitute. Drought is limited to Charizard, and that's only useful in case you need sun for Mega Charizard X (sun-boosted Tough Claws Flare Blitz...oh boy). No need to even mention Sand Stream or Snow Warning; those are limited to Tyranitar and Abomasnow, respectively.

Competitive and Defiant can be used as measures against Intimidate and/or Sticky Web. Blastoise has access to both, Alakazam to Competitive, and Pidgeot, Lopunny, and Audino to Defiant. Defiant is questionable on Pidgeot, Audino, and Blastoise, but every other combination is perfectly usable.

Contrary is another way of dealing with Intimidate and Sticky Web. Sceptile, Lopunny, and Audino all have access to this ability, and it's a good way to discourage the use of Sticky Web or to make the opponent think twice about Intimidating Lopunny on sight.

Download can be pretty scary. You have Lopunny or Scizor switch in on a physically defensive Pokémon and wreak some havoc (or even Baton Pass the boost, which is especially possible with Lopunny). Audino gets it too, but Mega Audino is a joke.

Man, speaking of Download passing...

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Download
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

I can imagine this being a fun set. Upon receiving a Download boost, you can either Baton Pass it or abuse it, perhaps even both. If it's Special Attack, you can just pass it away, but it's harder to decide with Attack boosts.

Absol seems to be the only Mega with access to Illusion pre-Mega. This is a neat idea because, in addition to playing mind games in terms of typing, you can trick people by disguising Absol as a potential lead or something that hates status and using the Mega evolution to bounce away the Taunt, Stealth Rock, Will-o, T-wave, or whatever.

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Regenerator can give a Pokémon incentive to switch around prior to Mega-evolving. Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Alakazam, Slowbro, Sceptile, Lopunny, and Audino have access to this.

I already mentioned Magic Bounce. Alakazam, Sableye, Absol, Diancie.

Justified can be abused by Absol, Gallade, or Medicham in order to gain an Attack boost from Knock Off and wreak havoc.

Maybe Rattled can actually be useful. Switch in on a U-turn or Knock Off with Blastoise, Absol, Glalie, Lopunny, or Audino (preferably not the last) in order to gain a free Speed boost. N.B.: Absol does not appreciate U-turn.

I don't know how helpful Trace can be, but users include Alakazam, Gardevoir, Lopunny, and Audino.

Weak Armor...uh, Glalie gets it, but with its frailty and poor defensive typing, it would probably be better off with something else.

Natural Cure can be used pre-Mega to absorb an incoming status and remove it on the switch. Users: Venusaur, Blastoise, Pidgeot, Slowbro, Sceptile, Altaria, Lopunny, Audino

Thick Fat (Venusaur, Blastoise, Alakazam, Lopunny, Audino) and Heatproof (Metagross) are of questionable use, but they could be useful somehow(?).

Immunifying abilities
  • Levitate: Alakazam, Ampharos, Sceptile, Manectric, Banette, Glalie, Metagross, Latios, Latias, Garchomp
  • Soundproof: Ampharos, Gardevoir, Manectric, Aggron, Lopunny, Abomasnow, Audino
Overall, I have to say there's not much of interest here. The most notable on the list, I have to say, would be Lightningrod Blastoise (thank you Seaking). Other interesting ones are Desolate Land Camerupt (not for mega, though), Levitate Manectric/Ampharos, Sap Sipper Lopunny, and Storm Drain Sceptile (absorbs Water-moves in non-Mega form and Electric-moves in Mega form, both for potential Special Attack boosts). Bulletproof Sceptile seems pretty interesting as well, but questionable in use (immune to Sludge Bomb and Weather Ball pre-Mega).

Abilities immune to status conditions and stat drops
  • Aroma Veil: none
  • Big Pecks: Pidgeot, Gyarados
  • Clear Body: Glalie, Metagross, Diancie
  • Hyper Cutter: Blastoise, Pinsir
  • Immunity: Lopunny, Audino
  • Insomnia: Beedrill, Pidgeot, Alakazam, Banette
  • Limber: Absol, Lopunny, Audino
  • Magma Armor: Camerupt
  • Oblivious: Blastoise, Pinsir, Slowbro, Swampert, Camerupt, Lopunny, Audino
  • Own Tempo: Alakazam, Slowbro, Sceptile, Camerupt, Glalie, Lopunny, Audino
  • Sweet Veil: none
  • Vital Spirit: Ampharos, Manectric, Lopunny, Audino
  • Water Veil: Blastoise, Gyarados
  • White Smoke: none
Most of these are pretty useless (read: Big Pecks, Magma Armor), but some can be used to switch in on things like Intimidate and detrimental status (although Absol would much prefer Magic Bounce over Limber).

Magic Guard is also a notable pre-Mega ability, but Alakazam is literally the only Mega that gets it pre-Mega.

Moxie would be useful too, but the only Megas that have it pre-Mega are those who get it naturally (Pinsir, Gyarados, Heracross), Absol, and Altaria. I mean, Absol has Sucker Punch going for it, but everything else is too slow to make good use of the ability.

Now, I shall conclude this post with a list of what I think are the best pre-Mega abilities for Mega Pokémon.
: Drought (X) or Regenerator (Y)
: Lightningrod
: Insomnia
: Competitive
: Hyper Cutter
: Pressure
(joke): Sand Rush
: Moxie
: Flash Fire
: Sand Stream
: Contrary
: Water Absorb
: Trace
: Soundproof (or maybe Magnet Pull?)
: Speed Boost
: Desolate Land
: Frisk
: Illusion or Moxie, depending on playstyle
: Rattled
: Clear Body
: Levitate
: Levitate (maybe Aura Break as a situational counter to Fairy Aura)
: Soundproof or Snow Warning, depending on team needs
(joke): Intimidate
Thank you for the post! I will link to it in the OP. :]

Immunifying abilities
I'd say Levitate Metagross is one of the most notable thing as well. The megaevo may not have Ground immunity, but having a Ground immunity pre mega makes you can switch into Ground types that would normally destroy you, which is a good thing. If you can megaevo at the right time, losing a Ground immunity won't be a problem that much.

I don't think anybody has pointed this out yet, but Normal types get Unaware, making Eviolite Porygon2 a dangerous hybrid wall/breaker, coming in with much better offense and slightly better bulk than Clefable, (though it doesn't have any boosts).

Edit: I forgot to mention the real hero of this metagame:

Swift Swim Shuckle OP!!!!!! Put it on all of your rain teams!

Last edited:
Mega Lucario gets Adaptability omg! That means both Cobalion and Lucario get it!

Cobalion @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Here's a sample. Cobalion's great typing and amazing 129 defense means it can easily get a SD up, meaning it's Adaptability boosted attacks will be amazingly dangerous! Base 108 speed is quite useful as well, base 90 Attack might not seem that good but thanks to Adaptability it is.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 302-356 (90.4 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Now that's power...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)