Absol (QC: 2/3) [Not written]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
nah don't even think about writing this out because it needs a lot of work still.

okay so i've been doing some testing on absol and i realized play rough + night slash/other filler is way inferior to superpower + knock off.

so the swords dance set should be:

sucker punch
swords dance
knock off / night slash
superpower / play rough

with jolly as the primary nature because being faster than froslass after mevo is pretty important. it also makes it easier to mega evolve.

will-o-wisp, zen headbutt/psycho cut whatever the psychci move it gets is, and iron tail should all go in OO. protect too, just because it lets you mega evolve for "free" and get the speed without risking being hit.

the four attacks set seems ok but its honestly kind of redundant with swords dance because most of the time they play the same way, but SD has the option to boost, making it way harder to wall. i've never even seen an absol be successfully used with 4 attacks and no SD in XY. remove the set entirely, imo.

there needs to be some sort of mention about how mega absol fits into full BP as well. it basically takes espeon's place. uhh i dont think there's a need for a full set, but definitely mention it in OO.

so tl;dr -

fix the SD set, drop the other one.

nah don't even think about writing this out because it needs a lot of work still.

okay so i've been doing some testing on absol and i realized play rough + night slash/other filler is way inferior to superpower + knock off.

so the swords dance set should be:

sucker punch
swords dance
knock off / night slash
superpower / play rough

with jolly as the primary nature because being faster than froslass after mevo is pretty important. it also makes it easier to mega evolve.

will-o-wisp, zen headbutt/psycho cut whatever the psychci move it gets is, and iron tail should all go in OO. protect too, just because it lets you mega evolve for "free" and get the speed without risking being hit.

the four attacks set seems ok but its honestly kind of redundant with swords dance because most of the time they play the same way, but SD has the option to boost, making it way harder to wall. i've never even seen an absol be successfully used with 4 attacks and no SD in XY. remove the set entirely, imo.

there needs to be some sort of mention about how mega absol fits into full BP as well. it basically takes espeon's place. uhh i dont think there's a need for a full set, but definitely mention it in OO.

so tl;dr -

fix the SD set, drop the other one.
Fixed. Forgot to say so yesterday. :/

This is really minor but perhaps mention that Mew can actually burn Absol after it mega evolves due to synchronize. It can catch it on the switch, or if Absol gets greedy and tries to set up. Also i think Mew can live a Jolly Knock Off. It's rare but not unheard of, perhaps worth getting it in there somewhere

Ok, I get you guys are busy but I really just need kokoloko to come and finish the check. Sorry for being a pain but I would feel better if you could look over the changes that I made at your suggestion.

Quagsire should be removed from checks & counters since its OU now also u should mention that this thing shuts down froslass and forces lead azelf to go kaboom making it very annoying for hyper offense (dominant playstyle atm) to deal with when combined with that 115 base speed and priority sucker punch.

Quagsire should be removed from checks & counters since its OU now also u should mention that this thing shuts down froslass and forces lead azelf to go kaboom making it very annoying for hyper offense (dominant playstyle atm) to deal with when combined with that 115 base speed and priority sucker punch.
Thanks for pointing out Quag, it flew right over my head lol. I'll change that and the azelf thing too.

Ok, so this thread is a million years old, I'm just waiting for someone to QC it so I can write it up. Any QC members please respond.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
okay.

the main thing wrong with this analysis is that play rough should pretty much never be used because it forces you to give up the main reason mega absol is so great-knock off. basically remove all mentions and slashes of play rough (and therefore night slash) and relegate them to OO.

there's also something you said in the OP that makes me doubt you have extensive experience with absol. "it doesn't do well against stall" lol are you serious? mega absol is like, the premier anti-stall mon in the tier right now. aside from throwing a physically defensive fairy at it, stall has literally zero answers to mega absol. i'd remove that point and anything related.

when you're done updating the OP, tag me so i can look this over again.

Wow, I was really clueless back then huh? Lol I'm sorry, never caught that stall thing, my bad. So I have removed Play Rough from the SD set, put it in OO, removed Night Slash, and gotten rid of any mention of sucking against stall. kokoloko, thanks for pointing those out :)

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
baton pass should be slashed on the main set (or given a set of its own if you want to go that way but i honestly just see it as superpower / baton pass). the potential to do stuff like SD on a aroma switchin and then bp to victini to get a +2 V-Create off is really a lot better than OO, and it works well with a lot of other shit too (like double priority luke and stuff). you might want a qc opinion, but it's definitely worth a mention imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)