Ace Emerald's Work Thread

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is my first RMT, and I have tried my best to keep it to somgon's standards. I have had success with this team on the laddar, and it is the best synergy I have had. This team focuses around the offensive core (found in the smog) of Gengar, Tyranitar, and Magnezone. So, here it is!

At a glance:

Lead

Blastoise @ Lum berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA/ 72 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Hydro Pump
-Aqua Jet
-Rapid Spin
-Ice Beam
A lot of sets on the New and Creative movestes thread are gimmicky trash. But I keep a watch on the thread because sometimes an awesome set like this pops up (credit to M Blade for the set). This set very effective at keeping Stealth Rocks off the field. While my team doesn't have a huge weakness to Rocks, that extra 12% can add up (especially when it is factored in all calculations). This set also earns at least one KO a game (usually more), and gets the momentum rolling in my favor. The only lead it solidly loses to is Roserade.

The Secondary Lead

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Evs: 4 hp/252 attack/252 speed
Jolly Nature
-Stealth Rocks
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch
-Trick
This set helps get Stealth Rocks on my opponent's side of the field. It also maximizes my chances of winning against a Roserade lead (will be explained in threat down). Tricking choice scarfs are wonderful in general easing prediction, but it helps my team in other ways as well. Since my team has no phazer, I was having trouble with bulky set up sweepers (crocune, curse umbreon, ect). Crippling with choice scarf helps my team a ton.

The Core

Gegar @ Life Orb
Evs: 4 defense/252 sp. attack/ 252 speed
Timid Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Pain Split
-Substitute
For the core, gengar deals with lucario who plagues Tyranitar. He also lures in Blissey and Scizor, who are dealt with by Tyranitar and Magenezone. Gengar gets a lot of free subs by switching into pokes that the other members of the core bring in. After that, the fun can begin. It is very hard to deal with gengar from behind the sub.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Naive nature (+Spe, -Spdef)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass
- Explosion
- Substitute
Magnezone is a great pokemon in this steel ridden metagame. It takes care of offensive pokemon like choice scarf Jirachi and Scizor (who can take out Aerodactyl), while setting up free subs. He also removes defensive pokemon Skarmory, Fortress, and Bronzong, which Aerodactyl also has problems with. HP Grass allows him to take care a Swampert who I have had trouble with. Though he can't switch in on earthquake, I can bait an ice beam by switching to Aerodactyl on an Earthquake. Explosion always makes a dent and is a good move from behind a sub.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Aqua Tail
Choice Band Tyrainitar makes up the last member of my core. He takes care of Blissey take walls my other two Special Attackers. Blissey generally switches out of Tyranitar into one of Tyranitar's counters, so pursuit will deal a good amount of damage, then I can switch to a member of the core to deal with the counter. Gengar or Aerodactyl can switch in on the Earthquakes from bulky pokemon that come in on Tyranitar.

The Late Game Sweep

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Evs: 252 attack/4 defense/252 speed
Jolly Nature
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Taunt
-Roost
The final member of my team was up for grabs for a while, but I decided on Life orb aerodactyl for its amazing synergy with the rest of my team. As previously stated, magnezone removes a large number of offensive and defensive threats to Aerodactyl. Tyranitar provides Aerodactyl with a large Sp.def boost that allows it to switch in on things other then ground attacks. Stone edge and Earthquake provide great coverage, Taunt is to make sure walls don't try any funny business with moves like thunder wave, and Roost can heal on weak Sp. attacks or on forced switches. Other counters to Aerodactyl are Flygon and Breloom. Flygon can be revenged by gengar if at low health (Shadow Ball deals 50%) and Blastoise (who takes 39%-47% from Earthquake) can switch in and use ice beam if it has good health. Breloom can be taken care of with Jirachi (Focus Punch never OHKOs).

Time for the Threat Down! I will divide the Threat Down into Lead, Offensive, and Defensive.

Lead:
Azelf-Hydro Pump and Aqua jet 2HKO. Smart people with just lay rocks, dumb ones taunt and die without doing anything. Either way, Blastoise is generally full health with Lum intact.
Machamp- Always a win. Blastoise out speeds and 2HKO with a Hydro Pump that doesn't miss thanks to No Guard. Dynamic Punch deals about 50% and lum heals confusion.
Aerodactyl-Same deal for Azelf.
Metagross-2HKO by Hydro Pump
Swampert-3HKO by Hydro Pump, but Swampy can't do much back, so I predict the switch and spin the rocks.
Jirachi-Generally a Scarf lead, I switch to my Jirachi and they lock into Trick while I set up rocks.
Infernape-Can't do anything to Blastoise, Close Combat is a 3HKO. I spin rocks or.
Roserade-Trouble. They can sleep or leafstorm, if I predict wrong I die. I switch to Jirachi if they leafstorm, I keep blastoise in if they sleep (ice beam doesn't OHKO, I still lose). Of course if I switch in Jirachi on sleep powder, they always get toxic spikes and I can't get rocks. Roserade generally get one layer of Toxic spikes up. Its not that big of a deal, Tyranitar and Blastoise are the only ones effected, and Tyranitar would rather be poison (not badly poisoned) then burned.
Heatran-Can't do anything to Blastoise, I can spin rocks immediately and KO if it stays.
Ninjask- I switch to Magnezone. Ninjask can break the subs and I can attempt to cripple with thunder wave whatever comes in from safely behind a sub.

Offensive:
Breloom-Absorb sleep then KO with fire punch on Jirachi (or trick to lock it into spore).
Dragonite- Jirachi can mess it up with Trick, or damage with Iron Head, putting Dragonite into revenge range. If gengar had HP Ice he could always revenge it.
Electivire- Aerodactyl
Empoleon- Gengar can out speed after agility and use Focus Blast
Flygon-Blastoise
Gengar-Minimal problems
Gliscor-Blastoise. Gliscor tries to set up alot.
Gyarados-85% of gyarados have DD which make Gengar a safe switch
Heatran-Aerodactyl
Heracross-Jirachi's Fire Punch
Infernape-Blastoise, Aerodactyl
Jirachi-Aerodactyl, Magnezone if Scarfed
Jolteon- Magnezone can go in on almost anything and sub
Kingdra-Magnezone can come in on Outrage or DD and cripple with explosion
Lucario-Gengar
Machamp- Jirachi can Trick it into locking into Dynamic Punch, Gengar can come in from there.
Magnezone-Aerodactyl, Tyranitar, Jirachi if switching in and not locked into iron head
Mamoswine- Jirachi
Metagross- Causes problems, Trick is the best option
Rotom formes-Tyranitar
Scizor-Magnezone
Snorlax- Tyranitar can deal some high damage, Gengar can as well
Starmie-Gengar takes care of non scarfed (I have been seeing a lot of scarfs), Tyranitar takes care of scarfed (not enough damage to OHKO).
Suicune-Trick cripples
Swampert- minimal problems, magnezone can HP grass it.
Togekiss-Magnezone, Aerodactyl, Gengar (the latter two must be wary of thunder wave)
Tyranitar-Gengar with focus blast, Scarftar expects to outspeed
Weavile-Gengar can KO with Focus Blast
Zapdos-Tyranitar

Defensive:
Blissey-Tyranitar
Bronzong-Magnezone(Careful of EQ)
Celebi-Gengar
Dusknoir-Tyranitar
Forrtress-Magnezone, Blastoise
Hippodown-Blastoise
Skarmory-Magnezone
Tentacruel-Magnezone
Umbreon-Jirachi with Trick
Vaporeon-Trick, magnezone, Tyranitar

Thanks for reading, please make suggestions!!

Hmm just an idea Starmie acts allmost the same as your lead now just less bulky and higher stats to be honest. I would advise using this lead rather than blastose.

Choice Scarf / life orb
Natural Cure
Timid

EVs 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Hydro Pump
~ Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
~ Rapid Spin
~ Trick / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

this acts as a less bulky but higher damaging rapid spinner lead than your current blastoise hope this helped.

One thing I'm concerned about is water types, and Kingdra specifically. Chesto + Rest Kingdras are becoming popular and if your method of stopping Kingdra is paralyzing it, then you are going to lose to it consistently. You also possess a huge weakness to LO Starmie.

First, Gengar is a baaad scarfer, and really subsplit gengar is much better. No team needs two scarfers. This will allow you to run a scarf on tyranitar, to make it easier against Starmie. As a general check against Water types, Gyarados especially, I'd ask you to please consider Starmie, she's just a better check to Infernape/Gyarados if nothing else. I think these changes will do wonders for the team.

That's all I got, hope this all helps.

I dislike how you have 3 choice users, use BluffTar to seem like you have Band but get a free KO.

Edit** Smith, I usually LOVE all of your rates but I used ScarfGar and it's ripped through teams and saved me on several occasions by guareenting you outsped non-scarf Jolteons and non-scarf Gengars. I think it's an underrated set as it's so fast already and can just hammer everything with it's insane speed but I use it has a DDNite and DDGyara check. It does work if used correctly and if the team is unprepared. Most teams aren't too.

Ace Emerald

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks a ton for the rates! Yes I have had problems with Kingdra. I haven't been swept just because I'm laddering noobs with no prediction. Any suggestions to reduce this weakness? EDIT: I looked up Kingdra's counters and it seems bulky waters stop him. Maybe offensive suicune?

@Lucien Lachance I will miss Band's power but I guess I do have to many choiced pokes. I will run blufftar then make the changes. Thanks a bunch!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I believe you have a slight weakness to the Rotom forms. Tyraitar is hardly the best switvh in considering that Tyranitar is fearing burn (which screws the majority of your team ) and risking switching inot a Specs Hydro Pump if its a Rotom W (which is becomming slightly more common). There is not much I can really suggest here. Aero can taunt it and then T-Tar can the come in freely to Pursuit it but other than that you don't have firm switch ins for it.

Other than this I can see a pretty large weakness to SD Bullet Punch Lucario which hurts much of your team.

Still I have a few cosmetic changes for your team. Firstly, I realy don't see the need for a Scarf Gar. This is because you are pure fodder for tyranitar (which is common) to come in and pursuit you freely. heck a CB scizor can pursuit you as well on a revenge. The point is that I would prefer it if you ran a Sub Split set to give you more offensive power.

I also don't see much of a need for Thunder Wave on Magnezone. I would prefer to use Explosion since its a very useful move to have when you are behind a Substitute.

lastly I don't like your 'Checks" for pokemon on your thret list. Fore example you say that scarf Gar can revenge Gengar. But many Gengar run Substitute thus you can only break the Sub while they KO you with Shadow Ball. Just remeber that even if you have a super effective move, it does not mean that you "counter" that pokemon

Other than that

Have a Nice Day!

EDIT (just saw your above post)

Regarding Kingdra something like a Suicune or Celebi check Kingdra quite well. Unfortunatly the only place they can go without changing your core is over Aerodactyl or Blastiose which is not optimal for obvious reasons.

Ace Emerald

Thanks for the rates everyone! I have switched to sub pain split on gengar and explosion on magnezone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)