Other Metagames [AG] Stab'n Coverage

Hello this is my first thread on the forums. Please pardon my mistakes and it would be nice if someone told me how to use the pokemon sprites.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 Def
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Substitute

First I started off with Ho-Oh because it has nice stats and nice move sets. On this team Ho-Oh is used to stall while dealing damage with Sacred Fire and Brave Bird. The move set is pretty simple with the usual Roost, Sacred Fire, Brave Bird, Substitute. I decided to go with this move set because Ho-Oh was my first poke on this team and had no idea of where to go.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Next I needed somebody to set up hazards. I decided to go with Skarmory because it has nice bulk and it has the Spikes + Whirlwind combo. For the move set I put Brave Bird instead of Substitute because of pokes that can use taunt and so that I can kill grass types which is a threat to my team.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze

Next I needed a nice staller that can counter the threats so I went with Quagsire. I decided to go Quagsire because it is a nice switch in from Ho-Oh/Skarmory when the opponent has electric types to counter Ho-Oh/Skarmory. For the set I went with Earthquake and Scald for coverage and Recover for stall and Haze to remove stats in case if they have something like smeargle and sets up and Baton Passes.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Next I needed a solid poke that can both bulk and get a nice coverage so I went with Mega Venusaur. Mega Venusaur is nice for this team because it's a good switch in for other grass types and it gets nice coverage and healing. For the set I went with the normal Mega Venusaur set with Synthesis, Sludge Bom, Giga Drain, and Hidden Power Ice. I went with this set as it offers nice coverage and healing.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 104 SpD / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb

Next I needed a rapid spinner so I went with Tentacruel. Tentacruel is nice as it can both Rapid Spin and set up Toxic Spikes. For the set I went with Toxic Spikes to set up hazards, Rapid Spin to get rid of hazards, Scald for coverage and burn, and Sludge Bomb for coverage.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Wish

For the last poke I needed something to set up rocks and be a great staller so I went with Chansey. Chansey does a good job on this team as it can set up rocks, Wish pass, and stall out. For the set I went with the normal Chansey set with Soft-Boiled, Stealth Rock, Seismic Toss, and Wish I decided to go with the normal set as all I needed this Chansey to do was set up rocks and stall.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Hello, I think your team looks solid as a stall team. But I wanted to point out some errors, so take them into an account if you are interested:

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Toxic
- Recover

I believe this is the most ideal set for defensive Ho-oh; this lets Ho-oh Mega Mewtwo X without Stone Edge, Mega Lucario, Solgaleo, non-Z-Geomancy Xerneas, Shaymin-S, and Primal Groudon without Stone Edge or Thunder Punch (Stone Edge is more relevant). Ho-oh has mediocre Speed tier so I won't suggest you to use Substitute. The EV spread:

* Allows Ho-oh to survive Xerneas' Thunder after Geomancy boost
* Allows Ho-oh to survive Extreme Speed from Arceus after a Swords Dance boost

Onto the moves: Brave Bird is the first STAB that hits respectably hard even without much investment, and Sacred Fire lets Ho-oh check some physical attackers (the move itself has 50% burn chance, as you know). Toxic might seem like a weird option but it punishes Primal Groudon, Arceus-Rock, Zygarde-C, and Giratina who tend to switch into Ho-oh and wall it or force it out by putting them on timer. Recover is mandatory to keep Ho-oh healthy.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Confide / Thunder Wave

I believe Chansey can't afford a moveslot to set Stealth Rock, because it is easily taunted by Yveltal, Deoxys-S, Mega Gengar, or plethora of Taunt users that are faster than Chansey.
Soft-Boiled keeps Chansey healthy, and you won't need a Wish for obvious reason. Toxic puts a timer on opponent and Chansey is usually very reliant on it to stall out a foe. Seismic Toss lets Chansey function even after being taunted so it won't be a complete setup fodder.
Confide, while it is seemingly a weird choice, lets Chansey deal with Calm Mind Primal Kyogre and Ingrain Xerneas which can break through Ho-oh. If you don't feel like it, get a secondary status move which cripples the Speed.

There are lots of errors in your team unfortunately, and I highly recommend you to pay a visit to Anything Goes Resource Thread or Anything Goes Discord server. I am positive that they will help you.
Good luck teambuilding and welcome to smogon!

Lastly,

Here are websites where you can find 3d Sprites of pokemon. (If it isn't clear to mods, I am not advertising them.)

Last edited:
Hi, interesting team.

The Ho-Oh spread listed above is partially a good choice but the defense EV's are completely wasted - there is no reason Ho-Oh needs to survive a +2 ekiller espeed when there is Skarmory AND Quagsire on this team.

here is the superior set:
Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 52 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Toxic

the 24 speed ev's is for creeping other base 90s which is like really useful with all of them in the tier.
Toxic is far better than substitute on a stall team.

life orb is honestly a lot better but you can run leftovers if you want.

Okay on to skarmory:

this is a pretty solid set but I would suggest Rocky Helmet over Leftovers just for the extra chip being helpful when you need to roost off repetitive damage. Again in this case Leftovers really isn't going to save you from a lot of 2HKOs.

You also might want to consider running Stealth Rock instead of Spikes, and remove Stealth Rock from Chansey. Up to you.

Decent set - I would suggest Toxic over earthquake as quag is really weak and it won't be hitting anything hard. The residual damage is also extremely needed to wear down arceus forms and such.
I would also suggest a maxdef spread of EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD so it can properly deal with Swords Dance Arceus.

Okay. Venusaur-Mega is honestly a really terrible mon in Anything Goes. It's weak to so many common things, particularly Mega-Rayquaza, and you would be far better off putting an Arceus Form such as Steel or Fairy, or running a Lugia set to help deal with Mega Rayquaza.

Tentacruel is good.

Just.... What?
This is very poor advice here.

So you're taking a moveslot for a status move and replacing it with another status move to avoid taunt? Nice. Confide isn't doing anything useful to Yveltal, Deo-S, or Mega Gengar - its purely a move in niche situations to prevent Calm Mind Steelceus from setting up on it. He has a Quagsire and will have no problems with CM steelceus.
Chansey is always going to be suspect to taunting, there is nothing you can do about that.

Wish passes 350 HP to any mons on its team, and is extremely useful for switching out of Chansey. And while Soft-Boiled + Wish isn't as uncommon as you would think, I would suggest you change Soft-Boiled to Protect to help with stalls.

Smh.

While on that note, I would suggest replacing Stealth Rock for Toxic - it has far more use in wearing down oppponents.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Wish

If you would rather run Soft-Boiled than Wish + Protect you can run Stealth Rock instead but in my opinion its not as useful.

Overall good team! Good luck with it in the future!
Thank you for your feedback!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I'll say right out front that despite being an AG rater, I really haven't played much with stall at all this gen. I was going to pass this rmt over, but it's had two rates that I feel don't really fix the issues here at all (they tackle individual sets rather than the systemic problems) so I wanted to at least try to pitch in. I can at least help analyze the issues of the team, and they go something like this. Chansey is a really poor mon to slap rocks onto, but you've been forced to do that because you've chosen a really awkward structure to build around. Ho-Oh is a critical member of the team that needs very solid hazard removing support, but you've only got Tentacruel which is a fairly niche mon to begin with. Then there's the complete lack of a lot of really bulky stall staples, like Giratina, Mega Sableye, and any Arceus formes in favor of other niche picks like Quagsire (which really kinda sucks this gen imo) and Mega Venusuar (which I'd call completely unviable in the current metagame). The upshot of this is that a lot of really dangerous mons just outright sweep you with ease. V-Create Rayquaza, SD Z-move Arceus formes that can give Quagsire trouble, Taunt Yveltal, Deoxys-Attack, and all 3 Mewtwo formes are just some examples of things that your team doesn't check well or really at all because of the really different way its built. I think innovating is a good thing to try, but some things like Mega Venusaur are just going to be bad.

What this means you should actually do is a little trickier because, like I said, stall really isn't my forte. Other people have suggested checking out the resources thread or discord, which could be a good way to get someone who actually knows how to build stall to pay attention. Really all I can do is suggest things that would turn this into a more standard stall team with idk, Ho-Oh/Giratina/Rockceus/Skarmory/Chansey/Fairyceus. Still, I'd work on making a more solid team before you try experimenting with stuff like Venu+Quag+Tenta stall, it's a lot harder to make teams with multiple niche Pokemon before you have a more complete grasp on teambuilding. I hope at least some of this helps you out, and welcome to Smogon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)