/

Stats:

HP: 35
Atk:100
Def:60
SpA:50
SpD:70
Speed:110

Sand Veil: Raises the Pokémon’s evasion during a sandstorm by one level.
Tangling Hair: Lowers opponent's Speed by 1 stage when the opponent makes physical contact with the Pokémon
Hidden Ability: (Available)
Sand Force: Ground-type, Rock-type & Steel-type moves have their power increased by 33% in a Sandstorm

Level-Up

Start Sand Tomb
Start Rototiller
Start Night Slash
Start Tri Attack
Start Sand Attack
Start Metal Claw
Start Growl
4 Growl
7 Astonish
10 Mud-Slap
14 Magnitude
18 Bulldoze
22 Sucker Punch
25 Mud Bomb
30 Earth Power
35 Dig
41 Iron Head
47 Earthquake
53 Fissure
Technical Machine

TM01 Work Up
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM68 Giga Impact
TM71 Stone Edge
TM78 Bulldoze
TM80 Rock Slide
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM100 Confide

Overview:

Looking after your hair really pays off! Inspired by Pele's Hair, Alola Dugtrio now only sports fabulous locks but also has a Steel typing, and has 10 cut from his speed and added to his defense, I mean hey that only makes OHKO it from priority way harder and it's trapping abilities better right? Wrong, no more Arena trap, so all we are left with is a curious typing and a pokemon with below average attacking stats and not so very impressive speed as well. Still, with it's ability it can be a major nuisance with or without sand in the air, so let's check it out!

Move Sets:

Metal Head

Dugtrio-Alola @ Life Orb/Darkinium Z
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Speed / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Stone Edge/ Rock Slide
-Substitute/Memento/Toxic

Bang on those opponents with your Iron, Rock and Ground moves and live sand to it's fullest with Sand Force and good enough speed to make it count. The last slot is a toss up between lonegivity, giving a sweet kiss of death with Z-Memento switching in an ally brand new or just toxic those phat tanks. The good thing is that he (they?) can resist more priorities now with steel typing and slightly better defense.

Alola Troll

Dugtrio-Alola @ Focus Sash/Darkinium Z
Ability: Tangling Hair
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Speed / 4 Def
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD (for Reversal)
Jolly Nature
-Stealth Rock/Rock Tomb
-Reversal/Toxic/Metal Sound
-Earthquake
-Memento

If you really want to rock those locks though then use Tangling hair to scare Physical attackers away while laying rocks, status, attacking with EQ STAB or even lowering the SpD of the smart ass trainers who switch in special types, and if all is done, Z-Memento should make their decision to switch in even more regrettable.

Last edited:
Possibly the only Alola Form that is undeniably (and significantly) worse than the regular one.
At least it has fabulous hairstyle. So you should use it for style points alone ;).

Jokes aside I guess Choice Band may be doable with this Speed and base Attack and it has some immunities / resistances to switch into (you better not tank strong hits even if resisted) and additional STAB may help make it different then Dugtrio here. Lack of Arena Trap is horrible for this, so yeah. At least CB on Sandstorm team may actually hurt something, so I guess this tiny niche is here ?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gooey was a gimmick with Goodra, and Goodra had the bulk to take hits. Tangling Hair is just bad.

Shame that there isn't really a reason to use this (that I can think of) when it has lower Speed than vanilla and lacks Arena Trap, as that hair is glorious. New toy for lower tiers at least.

When they were making Dugtrio-A I wonder if ever it occurred them to make it Ground/Fairy.

That STAB combo is unresisted apart from Skarmory, Crobat and a few Levitaters and would've given this Dugtrio a good niche over Kanto Dugtrio and Excadrill.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
:dudes: I've got an amazing idea :dudes: why don't we take Dugtrio :dudes: and give it luscious hair :dudes: and give it a brand new ability that's literally just Gooey :dudes: that'll totally shake up the game :dudes:

:dudes:

This thing is god-awful. Like, holy crap there is so little reason to use this. It's got great defensive typing paired with piss-poor defenses, it loses out on Arena Trap and 10 speed and it has literally nothing over fucking anything. Tangling Hair is a really iffy ability, but it's honestly the closest thing I can find to a niche for this thing (send it out against a contact user, have it KO you for -1 or -2 speed depending on whether your sash is busted and go to something that can take advantage of the speed drop to set up or smth). If you honestly think you're gonna bring this into a battle and get it to do anything useful you should probably consider whether Pokémon is the right game for you 'cause this thing's utter garb.

The only "good" Alolan Dugtrio set imo:

Dugtrio-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tangling Hair
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Memento
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Rock Tomb

Slow shit down with your best friend Alolan Dugtrio! With it's plethora of setup-easing options between Tangling Hair, Rock Tomb and Memento, you can maybe set up with something! Or you could use something else and not be effectively be playing with five Pokémon. Whichever works best!

The only positive thing I can say about this pokémon is that it gives me hope for Tangling Hair Tangrowth.

Reactions: ehT
Alolan Raticate.
I'd make the case for Alolan Raticate being slightly better than Raticate simply because Alolan Raticate with Hustle has a stronger Sucker Punch than Bisharp. Also, Hustle Return is still incredibly damaging even though Alolan Raticate has slightly less Attack. But whatever, we're not here to dicuss that. I can't think of reasons to use Alolan Dugtrio over the standard.

I can vouch Reinhardt(my Dugtrio) was too slow to sweep and steel made it fold in single player
This and my Executor are my weaklinks of story team

Only chance I can see for this Dugtrio to not be terrible is that reliable weather setters become available in lower tiers.

Maybe alongside Gigalith for Dugtrio to be a Choice Band wallbreaker? Although, they both share a weakness to Ground...

Dugtrio-Alola @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch / Pursuit

Probably really stupid, though anyone consider running Z-Sludge Wave on regular Duggy with Naive to absolutely wreck Tapu Bulu? Even with shit base 50 sp.atk, it OHKOs 252/0 Sp.Def Bulu and massively dents Max Sp.Def variants. An effective lure considering that absolutely no one runs special moves on Duggy. Tapu Bulu is a no brainer switch in to Duggy after it has trapped something or your opponent switches it in expecting Duggy to come in. No one is going to expect it unless it becomes a thing.

Probably really stupid, though anyone consider running Z-Sludge Wave on regular Duggy with Naive to absolutely wreck Tapu Bulu? Even with shit base 50 sp.atk, it OHKOs 252/0 Sp.Def Bulu and massively dents Max Sp.Def variants. An effective lure considering that absolutely no one runs special moves on Duggy. Tapu Bulu is a no brainer switch in to Duggy after it has trapped something or your opponent switches it in expecting Duggy to come in. No one is going to expect it unless it becomes a thing.
And then you miss out on focus sash which dugtrio absolutely needs and a slot that can be bettered used by something not as situational.

And then you miss out on focus sash which dugtrio absolutely needs and a slot that can be bettered used by something not as situational.
Absolutely needs? No, Duggy doesn't need focus sash. Especially not in this gen with his shiny new attack buff which lets him run other items.

I'd actually say choice scarf would be his best set atm in the current meta as it allows him to come in and delete top tier threats like Koko and Pheromosa (without +1).

The Z-Sludge Wave suggestion is gimmicky tho admittedly but could have merit if Tapu Bulu becomes too common but its hard losing all the extra power (band) or extra revenge killing potential (scarf)

Alolan Dugtrio may not be OU or UU but it looks like it'll be rad in NU and passable in RU. Pair it with Sandy Rock Gigalith and enjoy the rampage of your budget Excadrill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)