Pokémon Alolan Muk

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do people think about a sweeping set with Air Ballon and Rock Polish, something like:

Muk-Alolan @ Air Balloon
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- Gunk Shot/Poison Jab
- Rock Polish

Muk's excellent defensive typing means it only has one (4x) weakness to ground, which Air Balloon covers nicely. So with it's excellent natural bulk, it is almost guaranteed an opportunity to set up rock polish, and between its stab moves and brick break has (near?) perfect coverage.

With Adamant it sits just below 400 speed, and with Jolly 436, allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame. So a jolly set outspeeds the entire unboosted meta, other than Mega-Zam, Mega-Aerodactyl, and Phero, and of those only Aerodactyl is really a worry as it can one bang the other two.
Just a quick correction, it's only a 2x weakness to ground, so not even super egregious at that.

It's an interesting set, I'd be curious to see how it performs in practice.

Just a quick correction, it's only a 2x weakness to ground, so not even super egregious at that.

It's an interesting set, I'd be curious to see how it performs in practice.
Thanks, will edit. I didn't check the weakness multiplier as I assumed a pokemon with only 1 weakness would have a 4x, like mega-scizor (though Sableye is a counter-example).

What do people think about a sweeping set with Air Ballon and Rock Polish, something like:

Muk-Alolan @ Air Balloon
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- Gunk Shot/Poison Jab
- Rock Polish

Muk's excellent defensive typing means it only has one (2x) weakness to ground, which Air Balloon covers nicely. So with it's excellent natural bulk, it is almost guaranteed an opportunity to set up rock polish, and between its stab moves and brick break has (near?) perfect coverage.

With Adamant it sits just below 400 speed, and with Jolly 436, allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame. So a jolly set outspeeds the entire unboosted meta, other than Mega-Zam, Mega-Aerodactyl, and Phero, and of those only Aerodactyl is really a worry as it can one bang the other two.
Wouldn't gluttony and Liechi Berry be a better ability and item for it? 105 attack is very mediocre as far as sweeping sets go, and it has the natural bulk to set up at least once, take a hit, and not be in 2hko range before the berry is activated due to gluttony. With things like Bulu and Greninja running amuk (lol), ground types aren't that difficult to work around.

Wouldn't gluttony and Liechi Berry be a better ability and item for it? 105 attack is very mediocre as far as sweeping sets go, and it has the natural bulk to set up at least once, take a hit, and not be in 2hko range before the berry is activated due to gluttony. With things like Bulu and Greninja running amuk (lol), ground types aren't that difficult to work around.
That might indeed help, +1 attack and +2 speed would mean it is a bit of a beast.

My guess would be that air balloon would make it more consistent, but the berry would make it potentially more devastating.

That might indeed help, +1 attack and +2 speed would mean it is a bit of a beast.

My guess would be that air balloon would make it more consistent, but the berry would make it potentially more devastating.
It's a bit of a trade-off, with gluttony your also giving up poison touch which can potentially turn focus sash 2 hits into 1 hits if the poison sticks.

Maybe drop leichi and add a weakness policy? It's naturally tanky so it should be able to eat one unboosted SE hit and be in a decent HP range to not get rocked by a +1 priority attack. Might not be as reliable as leichi just due to the fact that A muk having so few weaknesses but EQ is a pretty common move so it might not be so rare. Plus you get to keep poison touch over gluttony.

It only has one weakness so just don't leave it out on stuff that has EQ/Earth Power.

Plus Shuca Berry > Balloon IMO, balloon is too easy to remove, with Shuca you can safely stay in on Lando-I for a turn and knock off its LO, chunk it for about 40% with no investment, and possibly poison it, which is a pretty good trade imo. With Ballon you could very easily lose it trying to check something else.

It only has one weakness so just don't leave it out on stuff that has EQ/Earth Power.

Plus Shuca Berry > Balloon IMO, balloon is too easy to remove, with Shuca you can safely stay in on Lando-I for a turn and knock off its LO, chunk it for about 40% with no investment, and possibly poison it, which is a pretty good trade imo. With Ballon you could very easily lose it trying to check something else.
I've been trying these out, and balloon makes it far easier to switch in and force switches, but for sweeping purposes Liechi berry has more use, and I have far preferred the Liechi berry set.

I was just in a battle against an alola muk in showdown and it was saying immune to will o wisp and it was the guys lead poke and I lead with sableye. Is this suppose to happen?

Muk-Alola @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Fang
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

This actually works well for me in the battle tree. Defensively it is already good and with the EV in atk it makes it a killing machine with its knock off. So effective against so many different combination!

Muk-Alola @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Fang
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

This actually works well for me in the battle tree. Defensively it is already good and with the EV in atk it makes it a killing machine with its knock off. So effective against so many different combination!
why Impish? and are there any calc if this works in battle? and if you try with 252 HP / 182 Atk / 72 Def with Adamant Nature, you got more 11 points in attack. or maybe a typo?

Any use for Gluttony? Was breeding and hatched 3 6IV in a row, but all were Gluttony and none were Poison Touch
Eventually got a good one with Poison Touch, but seems a shame to not use some perfect IV Pokemon!

Theoretically you can try a set with the buffed berries (Aguav, etc.) that give you 50% HP, as Gluttony will trigger them at half health. I've never seen anyone use it though, Poison Touch is almost certainly the way to go if you can manage it.

Any use for Gluttony? Was breeding and hatched 3 6IV in a row, but all were Gluttony and none were Poison Touch
Eventually got a good one with Poison Touch, but seems a shame to not use some perfect IV Pokemon!
Assuming you don't want to get an ability capsule, Gluttony can work for sets using the buffed 50% Berries to regain health while serving as a tank or otherwise bulky check during the match. That said, be aware that Poison Touch on his moves (including Knock Off) is a notable trait for helping Muk wear out certain defensive mons

Thanks guys, I may give it a shot. I like the Poison Touch set with Assault Vest. I don't want to have to Ability Capsule, it costs too much.

Probably not because one is Evasion Clause and the other is mediocre boosting in general, and only moreso when Alolan Muk has no recovery.
sorry, i didn't see the evasion clause when i was looking through the ruleset for some reason & i guess i was sorta blinded by stockpile's popularity

I found something interesting, Alolan Muk learns Stone Edge unlike its standard counterpart.

"Trash Taker"
Muk-Alolan @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Impish/Adamant Nature
- Knock Off / Thief
- Brick Break
- Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
- Stone Edge

BTW, Thief is a good move for consideration in this set, however you must only use it after Air Balloon pops out.
Still need to give it a spin at Singles. For Doubles, Stone Edge may be replaced by Rock Slide.

Any idea for a good moves and nature for Adamant Muk with Power of Alchemy?
No there really aren't. If you're trying to use power of alchemy in doubles, your best bet is to use passimian (with the analogous ability, receiver ) , which has better speed than Muk and is thus better suited for copying abilities like huge power/anger point/serene grace. Will always be a gimmick.

Well anyways, in order to follow this build, how would one go about getting a Muk with Pursuit who only has Sun and Moon? I'm assuming there isn't a way other than trading?

Also, I appreciate all the hard work and calculations that go into these builds. I follow this site pretty closely as I am preparing myself for competitive. Alolan Muk is one of my favorite alolan pokemon so far... And im really enjoying this game

Wildcat Formation

flexibly adaptable to the situation
is a Tiering Contributor
The Duskull line and Spiritomb are unobtainable in Sun and Moon, so Alolan Muk cannot get Pursuit until PokeBank comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)