move 3: Play Rough/ Tera Blast
move 4: Aqua Jet/ Play Rough/ Tera Blast
item: Assault Vest
ability: Regenerator
nature: Adamant
tera type: Fire/ Water
evs: 28 HP/ 220 Atk/ 4 Def/ 244 SpD/ 12 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* AV Alomomola can surprise special attackers by better taking their attacks, and doing double the damage back when they deal too much.

* **Mirror Coat**: Mirror Coat is the main draw of this set, easily OHKOing Flutter Mane and Iron Bundle that attack.

* **Liquidation**: With more base power and a good chance to drop Defence, Liquidation is highly preferred over Waterfall as the primary STAB option.

* **Play Rough vs. Tera Blast**: Play Rough is an excellent option to dispose of relatively harmless Hydreigons, Tera Blast deals with Scizor and is the best option against Gholdengo.

* **Aqua Jet**: Aqua Jet can pick off Focus Sash users at their sash, as well as other weakened foes.

Tera Types
========

Tera Dependency - Low: With Mirror Coat, Alomomola can often cope with taking more damage from grass type attacks. However, tera is still a good option to avoid neutral damage from Fairy attacks, as well as Scizor's bug attacks.

* **Fire**: A Fire Tera type grants a grass resistance, while also blocking burns.

* **Water**: A water Tera increases Alomomola's primary means of dealing damage that doesn't rely on the opponent.

EVs
========

* **28 HP/ 220 Atk/ 4 Def/ 244 SpD/ 12 Spe with Adamant** This EV spread allows Alomomola to be as specially bulky as possible, while OHKOing Hydreigon and KOing Glimmora through Liquidation and Aqua Jet,. The Speed EVs outspeed uninvested Skeledirge.

* **252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 SpD with Careful** Alternatively, one can opt to maximize Alomomola's Special Defence in order to Mirror Coat back a greater number of special attacks. Notably, this EV spread comfortably survives +6 Timid Gholdengo's Shadow Ball, with a good chance after Stealthh Rock damage. It can also switch in on Choice Specs Chi-Yu.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/omastar68.291756/
Quality Checked by:({{}})
Grammar checked by:({{}})

Last edited:
Sorry for jumping the gun on this Theorymon, but I'm bored and can always get rid of it if need be. Unsure on alternate EVs as this is what I found to work. It's not really a thing according to the scant usage data on Alomomola, but I'm not sure why most are tera fairy, or Bold.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I will check these 3 tomorrow for sure (sorry my RMT has been taking so long), but for the future please slow down on these, don't post anything more till QC checks are implemented for the rest of the mons!

I will check these 3 tomorrow for sure (sorry my RMT has been taking so long), but for the future please slow down on these, don't post anything more till QC checks are implemented for the rest of the mons!
Ok ofc. Tbh I don't use much else so idk if I'll even do more anytime soon, but too much free time sry!

So a couple of things:

Why is Tera Fire the only Tera Type? HOME usage doesn't have it in the top 10, meaning it is at or has less than #10 Normal's 1.4% usage. Niche choices aren't always bad to mention, but this set should absolutely be talking about more popular types like Fairy (#1 at 46.3%) and even Water (#2 at 11%.)

Some of the matchups mentioned are confusing ones to highlight as well. Focus Sash Chi-Yu is mentioned but that is an incredibly rare set (3.1% usage.) Recommending it against Glimmora is sketchy as well since physical attacks trigger its Toxic Debris.

Ultimately, its hard to see what this set brings over other AV sets like Azumarill or even Mirror Coat Arboliva. Its not just about the individual tools Alomomola has, but about the core strategy it brings that other mons can't themselves.

So a couple of things:

Why is Tera Fire the only Tera Type? HOME usage doesn't have it in the top 10, meaning it is at or has less than #10 Normal's 1.4% usage. Niche choices aren't always bad to mention, but this set should absolutely be talking about more popular types like Fairy (#1 at 46.3%) and even Water (#2 at 11%.)

Some of the matchups mentioned are confusing ones to highlight as well. Focus Sash Chi-Yu is mentioned but that is an incredibly rare set (3.1% usage.) Recommending it against Glimmora is sketchy as well since physical attacks trigger its Toxic Debris.

Ultimately, its hard to see what this set brings over other AV sets like Azumarill or even Mirror Coat Arboliva. Its not just about the individual tools Alomomola has, but about the core strategy it brings that other mons can't themselves.
Oh. Well idk you're right but this is all I've run. I'm clueless about Tera fairy's use lol. Like why. I'll put in water though...

Ok I'll take those out. Sash chi-yu is rare...weird to me, I didn't even think to look. Ok yeah, glimmora is bad news unless you have a grounded poison.

Idk about this being bad. On the one hand Arvoliva gets mirror coat and dazzling(for fairy coverage,) so that gives fierce competition for this Mon um. Well we'll see what others think first.

Edit: might be another case where the writer doesn't know the Mon well enough. Last time that happened it was passed...but only I care about this Mon so idk if that'll happen lol.

Last edited:
Oh. Well idk you're right but this is all I've run. I'm clueless about Tera fairy's use lol. Like why. I'll put in water though...
If you want to improve your set writing, then research is part of that. Granted, I've found exactly one Alomomola team on Rotoportal so that makes things a bit more difficult (I'll come back to that though,) but even just trying to make sense of HOME usage data can help quite a bit.

Ok I'll take those out. Sash chi-yu is rare...weird to me, I didn't even think to look.
Again, spend time researching. It may take some time to get good at it but it makes you look a lot more credible.

Idk about this being bad. On the one hand Arvoliva gets mirror coat and dazzling(for fairy coverage,) so that gives fierce competition for this Mon um. Well we'll see what others think first.

Edit: might be another case where the writer doesn't know the Mon well enough. Last time that happened it was passed...but only I care about this Mon so idk if that'll happen lol.
The bottom line is Alomomola is just not used much at all (ranked #135 in usage per HOME.) That doesn't mean its useless or that it doesn't have cool tech, but the key here is that it is a largely unproven mon. If we can't build a strong, evidence-based case for its viability (favorable offensive/defensive calcs, a strong enough matchup spread in the top 20/30, etc.) then getting it approved for the dex is a difficult ask.

And just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with playing with these types of mons. Back when former BSS head cant say was still playing, he loved to spam Drifblim Baton Pass teams. Finding interesting new tech is part of the fun of this game! But it can also take time to fully develop tech into something that gets results, and sometimes it just doesn't pan out. Its all part of the process of learning. Ultimately, we'll see what QC has to say.

I will end by noting this: playing with top meta mons and familiarizing yourself with them firsthand also helps a lot to see what can and can't work farther down the usage rankings. Understanding how the big dogs tick themselves tells you a lot about how to potentially dismantle them.

I think I bit off more than I could chew w/ Alomomola. I really like the mon, but I can't figure out the seemingly random teras used. Fire is great imo for Flutter and burns(so mainly Dirge and Volc.) The big thing w/ Alomomola is Mirror Coat, so I don't really get an offensive tera for it since at that point you could run the aforementioned Azu. But I put that in cause it's there...but idk Tera fairy and bug(wth) that are common-ish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)