Alomomola

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Alomomola is one of many reliable bulky Water-types available in the UnderUsed tier. What sets Alomomola apart from Pokemon such as Vaporeon is Alomomola's higher physical bulk and its Regenerator ability, which allows Alomomola to act as a defensive pivot in a Underused metagame that loves opportunities to retain momentum. As such, with its massive base 165 HP stat, Alomomola fits extremely well in UnderUsed as one of the premier Wish users. Despite having poor base Special Defense, Regenerator and reliable teammate options such as Blissey, Gligar, and Salamence allow Alomomola to fit well on many balance cores, although it has the necessary bulk to be effective on stall teams as well.

[SET]
name: Sunfish Wish
move 1: Scald
move 2: Wish
move 3: Protect
move 4: Toxic / Knock Off
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
ability: Regenerator
nature: Bold
evs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Scald is an effective move despite Alomomola's poor Special Attack, as the 30% chance to burn pays off in the long term against physical threats ranging from Salamence to Escavalier. Wish is Alomomola's main support move, reliably healing its teammates for a large amount of health due to Alomomola's incredibly high base HP. Protect works well alongside Wish, providing Alomomola with a reliable way of healing itself. Knock Off is another niche that separates Alomomola from Vaporeon, providing additional support for its team. Toxic is another useful support option to whittle down opposing bulky threats such as Chesnaught. Mirror Coat can be used to get a surprise OHKO on special attackers such as Choice Scarf Rotom, Life Orb Nidoqueen, and non-Choice Specs Chandelure. However, due to Mirror Coat's Psychic typing, it will not work on Dark-Type Pokemon, such as Hydreigon.

Set Details
========

Alomomola's huge base 165 HP stat means it can afford to invest its EVs in other areas. 252 Def EVs are used to maximize Alomomola's physical defenses, making it able to take multiple hits alongside its Regenerator ability. The 216 EVs are placed into Alomomola's subpar Special Defense, allowing it to absorb a variety of neutral special attacks, such as a Moonblast from Florges. The remaining 40 HP EVs round out Alomomola's overall bulk. A Bold nature is used alongside Scald, but an Impish nature can be used if you want a slightly more powerful Knock Off. Regenerator is an incredible ability for Alomomola, recovering one third of its HP every time it is switched out. Rocky Helmet is a good option if passive recovery is not a priority, as it is perfect against common physical attackers, such as common users of U-turn, and will wear down their HP while Alomomola shrugs off the hit with Regenerator.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Alomomola in on physical attackers, though beware of Swords Dance users. Absorb hits, and then use the appropriate supporting move. Alomomola has a hard time dealing with setup sweepers, and should never stay in during these scenarios. Instead, utilize Alomomola in a sponge-and-switch manner.

Team Options
========

Blissey, Gligar, and Roserade all make perfect bulky companions to build a bulky core. for instance, Gligar supports Alomomola against Guts Heracross and other physical wallbreakers. Physical wallbreakers will get past clerics, such as Umbreon and Florges, that prevent Alomomola from spreading status conditions against more defensive teams. Bulky Water-types are easily placed on a team with a Grass- and Fire-type Pokemon; Pokemon such as Arcanine, Shaymin, and Amoonguss make for excellent teammates in a Fire-Water-Grass core to support offensive teammates. Alomomola has an easy time against Pokemon such as Mega Aggron, so it is an ideal teammate for Florges on stall teams. Alomomola appreciates Rapid Spin or Defog support so that it can get the most out of its Regenerator recovery. Because Alomomola struggles with most setup sweepers, especially if they have Substitute, it appreciates phazers such as Mega Aggron and Whirlwind Snorlax, as well as Whimsicott with Encore. Furthermore, Mandibuzz's access to Taunt makes it a great candidate for taking on Suicune and Reuniclus and preventing their setup.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Waterfall can be used instead of Scald in order to use Alomomola's less pitiful Attack, but only with Toxic. Healing Wish can be used as a last-ditch effort to heal a late-game win condition.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Mega Ampharos, Heliolisk, and Rotom-C cause significant damage to Alomomola with Thunderbolt and Volt Switch.

**Grass-Types**: Shaymin and Roserade can OHKO Alomomola with their strong STAB moves.

**Guts Heracross**: Heracross's Attack gets boosted by 1.5x when afflicted by status, which allows it to easily 2HKO Alomomola.

**Setup Sweepers**: Substitute + Calm Mind users such as Cresselia or Suicune have no problem setting up on Alomomola. Physical attackers with Substitute such as Cobalion and Feraligatr can set up on it, but they need to beware of switching into a Scald burn.

**Special Attackers**: Chandelure, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, and Hydreigon are notable examples of powerful special attackers that force Alomomola to often partner up with Blissey or Florges.

**Taunt**: Alomomola needs to be careful when it switches into Pokemon that can use Taunt, even if it has the type advantage, as they limit Alomomola's support capabilities.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Not QC, but make sure to elaborate on the fact that Alomomola is relegated to being on stall, as it has 0 offensive presence and has to rely on Toxic, Scald burns, and/or Rocky Helmet damage to wear down the opponent. The quote "...premier stall Wish users" is a start, but I feel this should be more detailed (again not QC, lol).

Other than that, this looks solid, Kink.

Not qc, just a few thoughts from me. but i'd mention how it is a bit set up bait especially for sub users since scald is most likely not going to break through and toxic cannot effect them. Even if there are set up sweepers i.e gatr and haxorus that cannot dodge Toxic still have like 4 turns to set up and beat Alomomola, and can beat another mons too since toxic does not kill it after 4 turns.

I'd also reword the last part a bit because it looks like the regenerator and team options aren't good for it.

in UT I'd mention that if Alomomola does not have enough HP to use wish safely that it could opt to switch out to get regenerator's health back.

in TO i'd mention pokemon such as granbull, goodra and nidoqueen that lack reliable recovery on their own and appreciate the wish support. You might also mention a cleric itself because alomomola hates getting toxiced as it will hamper its survability. maybe mention a spdef poke such as blissey to sponge special hits while alomomola can sponge physical hits (this should only be used on stall tho).

Lastly, in C&C you should probably mention Toxicroak as a first part (and a seperate section) because it is 1. immune to toxic 2. immune to scald (recovers it) 3. can set up on it and KO it.

BTW, negate any comments if you don't agree.

Last edited:

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Sdef spread incoming

########
name: Reflecting fish
move 4: Mirror Coat / Knock Off
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
nature: Calm

I've used this set a lot on PO on a team that got me to top 10 like 2 months ago and it works wonders. What I really like from this set is Mirror Coat, which works really well when paired with Alomomola, since the first thought of everyone is to throw at it whatever special attack there is without knowing they'll get bounced.

• 252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 230-270 (43 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Mega Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 231-273 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 169-199 (31.6 - 37.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 308-363 (57.6 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 188-224 (35.2 - 41.9%) -- 83.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

It can't actually come into a Dark Pulse from LO Hydra followed by a Draco, but you can force Hydra to come into Alomomola and then Mirror Coat the hell out of it. This set deserves a slot imo because of the fact that, unlike the physical set, it doesn't just sit there to sponge attacks, but can kill whatever that uses a special move vs. it while still being decently bulky on the physical side without taking into account the burn chance of scald, which surely helps a lot.

Last edited:
Personally I would never use any non-Sdef Alomomola in any tier. Minimal Def investment is all it needs to beat tons of physical attackers, and it really needs massive amount of special investment to be able to handle threats like Nidos, Chandelure, Blastoise, etc.

Withoute Sdef investment, Alomomola struggles against every special attacker:
0 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Alomomola: 202-238 (37.8 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think Alomomola absolutely must have SpD investment in order to function well in UU. I dont get why everyone is investing so much in HP since it already has a gargantuan HP stat...it's better off investing in both defenses. The spread I used when I used Alomomola in SPL is 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD Bold (I believe this was given to me by Meru). This spread is never 2hko'd by Scarf Hydrei's Draco (and there never ohko'd by specs either) while still maintaining nearly all of its physical bulk. There shouldn't be separate physical and special sets.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think Alomomola absolutely must have SpD investment in order to function well in UU. I dont get why everyone is investing so much in HP since it already has a gargantuan HP stat...it's better off investing in both defenses. The spread I used when I used Alomomola in SPL is 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD Bold (I believe this was given to me by Meru). This spread is never 2hko'd by Scarf Hydrei's Draco (and there never ohko'd by specs either) while still maintaining nearly all of its physical bulk. There shouldn't be separate physical and special sets.
cool, I was kind of hoping someone would offer some SpD information, I'll use that EV spread.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Idk how much it does but Heracross might deserve a mention in c&c
252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 261-307 (49.3 - 58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Totally. And that's without Guts.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
  • Toxic or Knock Off over Mirror Coat is perfectly viable on the SpD set as well, in fact I think they are superior as they are more reliable and offer better utility. I think keep the same slashes as the physical set and mention Mirror Coat just as an alternative. Although I don't have much experience using it so I don't know how viable Mirror Coat is. Sam opinions on this?
  • Slash Rocky Helmet on the SpD set too as it still tanks physical hits really well.
  • In setup sweepers mention some Substitute physical attackers can set up on it too like Gatr and Cobalion, but say that they need to beware of switching into a Scald burn.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There shouldnt be a full phys def set. The main set should have the EVs of the 2nd and moves of the first but with toxic as the first slash

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
  • Toxic or Knock Off over Mirror Coat is perfectly viable on the SpD set as well, in fact I think they are superior as they are more reliable and offer better utility. I think keep the same slashes as the physical set and mention Mirror Coat just as an alternative. Although I don't have much experience using it so I don't know how viable Mirror Coat is. Sam opinions on this?
  • Slash Rocky Helmet on the SpD set too as it still tanks physical hits really well.
  • In setup sweepers mention some Substitute physical attackers can set up on it too like Gatr and Cobalion, but say that they need to beware of switching into a Scald burn.
There shouldnt be a full phys def set. The main set should have the EVs of the 2nd and moves of the first but with toxic as the first slash
double did. double check? ;)

I think Mirror Coat should be moved from Other Options to a mention in Moves or Set Details. With that much SpDef investment, Alomomola can easily take hits from stuff like Scarf Rotom, Nidoqueen, Chandelure, and Alakazam, and proceed to just OHKO them in return and then switch out to somewhat negate the damage taken. With the current spread, Alomomola can even tank a +6 Psyshock or Shadow Ball from Reuniclus and just kill it in one turn lol, albeit it can come down to mind games if you've already revealed it, but still can be a valuable tool for stall teams. Also, currently you have Hydreigon as an example of a mon that Alomomola can OHKO, which is untrue since Hydreigon is immune :L (Hydreigon's immunity could probably be mentioned when you talk about Mirror Coat)

Reliable phazers should be added in Team Options since Alomomola struggles with most setup sweepers, especially if they have Substitute. Stuff like Roar Mega Aggron/Hippowdon, Whirlwind Snorlax. Whimsicott with Encore can go here since it deters setup.

Healing Wish should go in Other Options and works particularly well on Sand teams as it complements Hippowdon rather well can revive Stoutland late-game.

Edit: oh yeah, also Guts Heracross in Checks and Counters

Last edited:
The intro needs to be revised to indicate that Alo fits not only on stall, but (arguably better) on balance that, due to Regenerator, can pivot in and out quickly and frequently without giving too many opportunities for setup.

The first bit in Team Options should be expanded to clarify why those particular Pokemon work well with Alomomola (ex: Gligar helps it with Guts Hera, Cobalion, etc). I'd also like to see Mandibuzz in Team Options since with Taunt, it can beat bulky setup sweepers like Lax and Cune that use Alo for setup fodder.

Also, there's a part in Set Details when you mention "OHKO them in return", but since Mirror Coat isn't even in the main set, I'd just remove that and say the EVs are there to more comfortably take weaker special attacks like Florges' Moonblast while being able to tank a stronger attack and OHKO with Mirror Coat in a pinch.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
The intro needs to be revised to indicate that Alo fits not only on stall, but (arguably better) on balance that, due to Regenerator, can pivot in and out quickly and frequently without giving too many opportunities for setup.

The first bit in Team Options should be expanded to clarify why those particular Pokemon work well with Alomomola (ex: Gligar helps it with Guts Hera, Cobalion, etc). I'd also like to see Mandibuzz in Team Options since with Taunt, it can beat bulky setup sweepers like Lax and Cune that use Alo for setup fodder.

Also, there's a part in Set Details when you mention "OHKO them in return", but since Mirror Coat isn't even in the main set, I'd just remove that and say the EVs are there to more comfortably take weaker special attacks like Florges' Moonblast while being able to tank a stronger attack and OHKO with Mirror Coat in a pinch.
did

Nitpicking, the Mandibuzz part you added probably should be put with the phazers/Whimsicott since both function to stop sweepers. Looks good QC 3/3

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
King UU

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Alomomola is one of many reliable bulky Water-types available in the UnderUsed tier. What sets Alomomola apart from Pokemon such as Vaporeon is Alomomola's higher physical bulk and its Regenerator ability. Regenerator allows Alomomola to act as a defensive pivot in an Underused metagame that loves receiving any opportunity opportunities to retain momentum. As such, Alomomola fits extremely well in UnderUsed as one of the premier Wish users. Despite having poor base Special Defense, Regenerator and reliable teammate options such as Blissey, Gligar, and Salamence allow Alomomola to fit well on many balance cores, although it has the necessary bulk to be effective on stall teams as well.

Sunfish Wish
########
name: Sunfish Wish
move 4: Toxic / Knock Off
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
evs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Scald is an effective move despite Alomomola's poor Special Attack, as the 30% chance to burn is extremely effective in the long term against physical threats ranging from Salamence to Escavalier. Wish is Alomomola's most functional support move, reliably healing its teammates for a large amount of health due to Alomomola's incredibly high base HP stat. Protect works well alongside Wish, providing a reliable way of capitalizing on a Wish meant for Alomomola. Knock Off is another niche that separates the Sunfish Alomomola from Vaporeon, providing reliable support for your team. Toxic is another useful support option that whittles down opposing bulky threats such as Chesnaught. Mirror Coat can be used to get a surprise OHKO on special attackers such as Choice Scarf Rotom, Nidoqueen, and Chandelure. reorder these to put Choice Scarf Rotom--unless all these are Choice Scarf However, due to Mirror Coat's Psychic typing, it will not work on Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Hydreigon.

Set Details
========

40 HP EVs helps to capitalize on Alomomola's natural physical bulk, giving it a little boost. 252 Def EVs are used to maximize Alomomola's physical defenses, being making it able to take multiple hits alongside its Regenerator ability. The remaining 216 EVs are placed into Alomomola's subpar Special Defense, allowing it to absorb a variety of neutral special attacks, such as a Moonblast from Florges. A Bold nature is used alongside Scald, but an Impish nature can be used if you want a slightly more powerful Knock Off. Regenerator is an incredible ability for Alomomola, recovering 1/3rd of its HP every time it is switched out. Rocky Helmet is an ideal option if passive recovery is not a priority, as it is perfect against standard attackers, such as common users of U-turn, and will wear down their HP while Alomomola shrugs off the hit with Regenerator.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Alomomola in on physical attackers, though beware of Swords Dance users. Absorb hits, and then use the appropriate supporting move. Alomomola has a hard time dealing with setup sweepers, and should never stay in during these scenarios. Instead, utilize Alomomola in a sort of sponge-and-switch manner.

Team Options
========

Blissey, Gligar, and Roserade all make perfect bulky companions to help formulate a bulky core. Gligar, for instance, supports Alomomola against Guts Heracross amongst and other physical wallbreakers. Physical wallbreakers will help Alomomola get past clerics such as Umbreon and Florges. Bulky Water-types are easily filled placed on a team with a Grass- and Fire-type Pokemon; Pokemon such as Arcanine, Shaymin, and Amoonguss make for excellent core teammates for offensive Pokemon to fall back on. Alomomola has an easy time against Pokemon such as Mega Aggron, so it is an ideal stall teammate for Pokemon such as Florges. Alomomola appreciates Rapid Spin or Defog support so that it can get the most out of its Regenerator recovery. Since Because Alomomola struggles with most setup sweepers, especially if they have Substitute, it appreciates phazers such as Mega Aggron and Whirlwind Snorlax, as well as Whimsicott with Encore. Furthermore, Mandibuzz's access to Taunt makes it a great candidate for taking on Suicune and Reuniclus and preventing their setup.

Other Options
########

Waterfall can be used instead of Scald for [reason that it should be used], but only with Toxic. Healing Wish can be used as a last-ditch effort to heal a win condition Pokemon such as X or Y.

Checks & Counters
########
there should be colons after the second **
**Electric-types** Mega Ampharos, Heliolisk, and Rotom-C cause significant damage to Alomomola with Thunderbolt and Volt Switch.

**Grass-Types** Shaymin and Roserade can OHKO Alomomola with their strong STAB moves.

**Guts Heracross** Heracross's Attack gets boosted by 1.5x when afflicted by status, which allows it to easily 2HKO Alomomola. (period)

**Setup Sweepers** Substitute + Calm Mind users such as Cresselia or Suicune will have absolutely no problem setting up against Alomomola. Substitute physical attackers such as Cobalion or Feraligatr can set up on it but they need to beware of switching into a Scald burn.

**Special Attackers** Chandelure, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, (AC) and Hydreigon are notable examples of powerful special attackers that force Alomomola to often partner up with Blissey or Florges.

**Taunt** Alomomola needs to be careful when it switches into Pokemon that can use Taunt, even if it has the type advantage, as this limits Alomomola's support capabilities.

1/2

remember to update the format of this as well

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)