Alomomola

True, it might be impractical (I'm not the best EV designer I freely admit). My thoughts were "More HP = More Leftovers = More Wish Heal = More Regeneration = More general buffness" but that's a rather simplistic thought process.

76 HP / 180 Def / 252 SpD seems fine to me too.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
0 SpA Boiling Water Vs. 0/0 Naive Infernape: 43% - 51.2%
Vs. 252 HP Shanderra: 29.6% - 35.2%

LOL

The problem with this Pokemon is that it's so difficult to fit on a team. When you see calcs like these, you can tell that Mamanbou is uncapable of doing damage to ANYTHING. You are better off with a Blissey or a Vaporeon, hands down.

I think a

Wish
Safeguard
Lightscreen
Toxic / Rest

Could be useful as well, since not only does it prevent status, but it works to be a team player since Safeguard works for your whole team. Plus, doesn't Safeguard prevent Rest from putting you to sleep, so you could potentially have Rest + Safeguard, and use Regeneration, which is makes it greater than Hydration.

Lets all remember it is set up fodder and i haven't done any calcs but my guess is a RESISTED fire blast off of Chandelaa is going to OKHO it after stealth rocks. 45 special defense is just pathetic and NO mamanbou unfortunatly you don;t have crazy high special defense 255 HP and 1 weakness to make up for it. Sorry.

Max Special Attack, Modest Chandelaa does at most 34.9% damage with Fire Blast against Mamanbou when using the 76/0/180/0/252/0 EV spread suggested above, given a Bold/Impish nature, if you give it a Calm nature it only takes 31.8% damage max. That's not even a 2-hit KO without leftovers and with Stealth Rock, and not even a 3-hit KO with lefties and Stealth Rock. In return, Mamanbou has a good chace to 2-hit KO 0 HP Chanderaa with 0 EVs Boiling Water and is garunteed to 2-Hit KO it with Waterfall. Of course, if Mamanbou has had the chance to set up a Light Screen than not even HP Grass / HP Electric can threaten to 2-hit KO it. Meanwhile, while Chandaraa is fruitlessly trying to KO it, Mamanbou is setting up Wish and Lightscreen to pass to your own sweeper and healing any residual damage on it's way out with Regeneration (unless you are running Shadow Tag, in which case it can easily outstall even Bulky Shandaraa with any combination of rest/wish/protect/waterfall/boiling water/toxic/light screen.)

You are better off with a Blissey or a Vaporeon, hands down.
I fully agree, but then both of them are OU (or were and might be again). What about in UU (or the possible future version of it)? It only needs to maybe beat out Chancey (without the stone)/Clefable/(maybe others..?) there and it might be able to.

Of course talking about a meta that doesn't exist is "meh" but honestly with a poke like this you kinda got to as no one will mistake it as top tier.

I would not bother attacking with this thing at all.

It has a special attack of 116 (31 IV, 0 EV). That is beyond pathetic. HP Electric will barely do anything to Gyarados coming off 116 special attack.

Boiling Water's burn rate is sexy, but 70% of the time we will do PATHETIC damage and NOT burn the target. That's not worh it IMO.

I would just use Toxic and add another support move. With no attacks you're going to be Taunt bait, but you're always going to be Taunt bait if you use this thing.
Hp electric with no investment does 30.2%- 36.2% to 0/0 Gyarados. =.=;;
vs Bulky DD gyara its 27%-32.4% after lefties thats 20.75-26.15%. Thats a 5HKO with a 4x supereffective move.

HP Electric would just be stupid on this thing. It's a wall, not a sweeper, not even a bulky pseudo-threat. It doesn't need type coverage. Gyarados can't even 10-hit KO it with ANTHING barring 6 Dragon Dances then trying to break through Wish/Protect/Rest. Toxic or Boiling Water are all you need to make a sad day for Gyrados.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I fully agree, but then both of them are OU (or were and might be again). What about in UU (or the possible future version of it)? It only needs to maybe beat out Chancey (without the stone)/Clefable/(maybe others..?) there and it might be able to.

Of course talking about a meta that doesn't exist is "meh" but honestly with a poke like this you kinda got to as no one will mistake it as top tier.
It also sucks in UU or NU because it checks nothing. The frailest of frail Pokemon don't mind taking hits from Mamanbou.

Waterfall vs. 4/0 Absol: 37.9% - 45.2%

P.S. I think we can fully discredit using Boiling Water on this. Mamanbou NEEDS the extra power from Waterfall if it wants to be used at all. And yes, relying on the 30% burn rate from Boiling Water to counter physical threats is probably the dumbest thing I have heard in ages.

I still think it's rather funny that no one has noticed the 35 base power difference between Mamanbou's attack and special attack, only justifying the choice between using Waterfall/Dive and Boiling Water in favor of Boiling Water because it has a chance to burn. That's really sad.

I think a Toxic/Dive/Wish/Mirror Coat would be an interesting set. It has very good potential to stall out an opponent and deal damage in the process. Even Waterfall has a chance to flinch opponents slower than you, so it could feasibly beat things like Swampert if it was necessary.

35 base power is a lot. Does anyone use a special move on any other pokemon with 40 base special attack?

35 base power is a lot. Does anyone use a special move on any other pokemon with 40 base special attack?
Mamanbou uses Boiling Water because of 2 reasons:
1. It won't be Taunt bait
2. The 30% burn chance (which is pretty high). Once Burning Water succeeds in burning a Pokemon (and Mamanbou might spam Burning Water just for that), it can then proceed to support, or, if the opponent switches, make an attempt to burn the new switch-in. (will backfire against Guts Pokemon)

It also sucks in UU or NU because it checks nothing. The frailest of frail Pokemon don't mind taking hits from Mamanbou.
Toxic doesn't care what your stats are and is generally a more useful "check" to some pokes (like bulky waters) then any attack is. That's generally why I recommend Toxic over other options. I mean sure it won't do anything to Vena or Registeel but it's not like that's new for water types (Milotic often doesn't beat either of those too so I'm hardly bothered by that. Not to say this thing replaces Milotic, I definatly don't think that).

i see a nice combo with shuckle.

- Mamanbou can take incoming water moves, then wish, toxic and switch back to shuckle, probably healing it completely, because of shuckles pathetic HP stat

His level up movepool is very doubles/triples oriented. Water Sport, Helping Hand, Heal Pulse, and Wide Guard are all things that are meant to be used in double or triple battles. Mamanbou might be useful in triples, where he could sit between two offensive pokemon and use Heal Pulse, Helping Hand, and either Wish/Protect or Rain Dance/Rest. Helping Hand would make up for it's lack of offense, and the other options would support the teammates. I've never played triples, so I'm not sure if that kind of thing works there, but I imagine that's what it's meant for.

In singles, I can't see this being overly useful, unless your opponent is extremely susceptible to Toxic.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Lets all remember it is set up fodder and i haven't done any calcs but my guess is a RESISTED fire blast off of Chandelaa is going to OKHO it after stealth rocks. 45 special defense is just pathetic and NO mamanbou unfortunatly you don;t have crazy high special defense 255 HP and 1 weakness to make up for it. Sorry.
Umm... Rain decreases Fire attacks, and then there's light screen...

Not the best guess bro.

Mamanbou seems decent, especially with regeneration. It's selling point is that it can pass wishes without leaving itself open to its counters. Switch in on wish bait, use wish, and even if your opponent switches to a counter you don't need time to heal yourself thanks to regeneration. It's tough to set up on you because you just switch, healing yourself and your own switch-in at the same time. Vaporeon can't do that.

I would use a set like everyone else has been suggesting. Just avoid protect; that's what vaporeon has to waste a turn using to stay alive in the face of a threat. Its main utility on Mamanbou is only toxic stalling.

Mamanbou @ leftovers
Regeneration, (insert EVs for physical or mixed walling)
- Wish
- Light Screen
- Toxic
- Boiling Water / Waterfall

Vaporeon is more for wish passing and stopping threats like gyarados in their tracks together, while mamanbou is a more dedicated wish passer/supporter. Just speculating here.

I would Calm Mind with this guy. I think the best set is CM, Boiling Water and 2 fillers (rest?)
I agree, the combination of hydration (in rain), rest, calm mind and STAB water is formidable. It's like a bulkier version of manaphy, without tail glow. Being able to set up rain dance is also a bonus, Mamanbou will definitely see use in rain teams, and even more so if Manaphy is banned from OU.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Toxic doesn't care what your stats are and is generally a more useful "check" to some pokes (like bulky waters) then any attack is. That's generally why I recommend Toxic over other options. I mean sure it won't do anything to Vena or Registeel but it's not like that's new for water types (Milotic often doesn't beat either of those too so I'm hardly bothered by that. Not to say this thing replaces Milotic, I definatly don't think that).
Toxic has bad coverage in UU, and there are way too many Pokes that take advantage of it. Mamanbou is complete set up bait for things like Venusaur and Toxicroak, and giving a free Guts boost to Heracross and Hariyama is not lovely.

Even Chansey is more threatening than Mamanbou, since it has access to Thunder Wave and Seismic Toss, and it can also pass larger Wishes.

I really see no purpose for Mamanbou in the UU tier anytime soon, since it accomplishes nothing outside of Wish.

Why are people under the impression that this needs to hurt anything at all? With massive defenses, it's best at doing passive damage and supporting team mates, which , iirc, is not a bad thing, /at all/. Sure it won't do any damage with Boiling Water or Waterfall, but it's got Toxic and the nice burn rate, so why does it need to be able to kill something by means of force?

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Why are people under the impression that this needs to hurt anything at all? With massive defenses, it's best at doing passive damage and supporting team mates, which , iirc, is not a bad thing, /at all/. Sure it won't do any damage with Boiling Water or Waterfall, but it's got Toxic and the nice burn rate, so why does it need to be able to kill something?
Its weak attacking /will/ be some of the passive damage, this thing isn't meant to sweep a team or anything, but just waiting for toxic/burn damage would be excruciating, with an attacking move, it has something to do each turn, at least. Otherwise, it's just waiting for status damage and occasionally healing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)