Amaura

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

Amaura is an excellent answer to Flying-types in Little Cup, resisting their STAB attacks and hitting back with powerful Ice-type STAB moves. Amaura's unique ability, Refrigerate, turns all Normal-type moves into Ice-type moves and boosts their power by 30%. This turns Hyper Voice into an impressive 117 Base Power Ice-type STAB move that bypasses Substitute. Amaura's other ability, Snow Warning, sets up five turns of hail, which allows Blizzard to bypass its accuracy check and provides chip damage to foes over time. Furthermore, it allows Amaura to neuter opposing weather teams by depriving opposing sweepers of their weather. Unfortunately, Amaura's typing is horrible defensively; it has a ton of weaknesses, including a 4x weakness to both Steel and Fighting, which is a gaping liability in a tier where Pawniard, Mienfoo, and Timburr are so dominant. Moreover, common priority attacks such as Mach Punch and Aqua Jet limit Amaura's ability to threaten certain foes. However, Amaura's typing and brilliant offensive prowess will allow it to severely threaten most of the Flying- and Grass-types in the metagame.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Hyper Voice / Blizzard
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Hyper Beam / Ancient Power
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Refrigerate / Snow Warning
nature: Modest
evs: 60 HP / 220 SpA / 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

When paired with Refrigerate, Hyper Voice becomes a powerful STAB move that bypasses Substitute, allowing Amaura to revenge kill foes with a Substitute up. On Snow Warning sets, Blizzard is 100% accurate and just as powerful as Hyper Voice after hail damage is factored in. However, it does not bypass Substitute. Earth Power provides nearly flawless coverage with Amaura's Ice-type STAB move and hits foes such as Chinchou, Pawniard, and Skrelp super effectively. Thunderbolt hits the occasional Mantyke and Slowpoke for super effective damage, but it will rarely be used. After a Refrigerate boost, Hyper Beam hits devastatingly hard, but the recharge turn it requires will leave Amaura as setup bait. Ancient Power is an alternative for Snow Warning sets that punishes Larvesta.

Set Details
========

Refrigerate turns Amaura's Normal-type moves into Ice-type moves and gives them a 30% boost to their Base Power. This gives a significant boost to moves such as Hyper Voice and Hyper Beam. Snow Warning allows Amaura to halt opposing weather teams by summoning five turns of hail, which also provides Blizzard with perfect accuracy. The choice between Refrigerate and Snow Warning depends entirely on whether Amaura wants to bypass Substitute and have a devastating Hyper Beam or foes' Sturdy and mess with opposing weather teams. 228 Speed EVs with a Choice Scarf allow Amaura to reach 21 Speed and outspeed its unboosted competition. 220 Special Attack EVs along with a Modest nature give Amaura an impressive 17 Special Attack stat, enabling it to revenge kill foes weak to Ice-type moves such as Archen, Foongus, Drilbur, and Fletchling. The remaining EVs are invested into HP, enabling Amaura to switch into Stealth Rock five times.

Usage Tips
========

Amaura's strong Ice-type STAB move makes it an excellent revenge killer, particularly against Flying- and Grass-types. However, Amaura's numerous weaknesses and frailty make it far too risky to switch in manually. If Refrigerate is the chosen ability, then Amaura is capable of revenge killing foes such as Gastly and Abra behind a Substitute. In addition, Refrigerate allows Amaura's teammates' Focus Sashes and Sturdy to remain intact. However, if Snow Warning is the chosen ability, Amaura can revenge kill opposing weather sweepers such as Bellsprout and Oddish. This ability is the better of the two if your team is particularly susceptible to sun teams. Amaura is quite capable of forcing switches, as its attacks are very powerful. Switching into a teammate that can take advantage of a predicted switch is a great, albeit risky, way to apply offensive pressure to the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Amaura requires extensive support in order to perform its job well. It is plagued by several weaknesses and will need a teammate to cover each of them. Croagunk is one of the best teammates Amaura can possibly have, as although they share a weakness to Ground, Croagunk can check most of the Steel-, Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-types that threaten Amaura. It can also provide Knock Off support, enabling Amaura to score OHKOs on the likes of Vullaby and Foongus. Slowpoke is a decent check to the physical attackers that plague Amaura, while Amaura's Ice-type STAB moves nail Grass-types that threaten Slowpoke. Snubbull and Spritzee are more consistent Fighting-type checks. Other Fighting-types make for good teammates to Amaura, as they all appreciate Amaura's ability to handle Flying-type foes, while they can beat opposing Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed. They can also provide Knock Off support, and Mienfoo and Pancham in particular can provide Amaura a free switch with their pivoting moves. Snivy is an excellent teammate for Amaura as well, as Amaura has difficult breaking past some special walls, while Snivy appreciates Amaura's ability to remove Flying-type foes.

[SET]
name: Berry Juice
move 1: Rock Polish / Thunder Wave
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Substitute
item: Berry Juice
ability: Refrigerate
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Polish boosts Amaura's Speed by two stages, allowing Amaura to clean up an opposing team late-game, while Thunder Wave allows Amaura to handily cripple switch-ins. Hyper Voice is Amaura's most powerful STAB move thanks to Refrigerate. It bypasses Substitute and deals heavy damage to anything that does not resist it. Earth Power provides near-perfect coverage alongside Hyper Voice, hitting foes such as Pawniard and Chinchou super effectively. Amaura's ability to force switches allows it to easily set up a Substitute, which allows it to avoid being hit with status moves and priority attacks while it sets up. Substitute can also activate Amaura's Berry Juice.

Set Details
========

Refrigerate is chosen over Snow Warning, as Amaura's Blizzard is only given five turns of perfect accuracy and because once Amaura is behind a Substitute or at +2 Speed, it is impractical for it to be switched out. Berry Juice is Amaura's means of healing and allows it to set up more Substitutes. 60 HP EVs give Amaura an HP stat of 25, allowing it to set up four Substitutes, as well as letting it switch into Stealth Rock an additional time. The remaining EVs maximize Amaura's Special Attack and Speed. If Amaura is running Rock Polish, a Modest nature allows it to maximize its Special Attack while reaching 28 Speed after a boost. However, a Timid nature allows Amaura to outspeed defensive variants of Chinchou when unboosted.

Usage Tips
========

This set is supposed to function as a late-game cleaner or mid-game wallbreaker once Amaura's checks and priority users are incapacitated. If Amaura is running Thunder Wave, it can cripple its checks early-game, allowing for it or a teammate to clean up afterward. Amaura can be brought in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch; it is much too frail to be switched in manually. However, once it is in, Amaura can easily boost up or set up a Substitute, as it can force switches easily, even against faster foes thanks to the assumption that it runs Choice Scarf.

Team Options
========

Amaura requires extensive support in order to perform its job well. It is plagued by several weaknesses and will need a teammate to cover each of them. Croagunk is one of the best teammates Amaura can possibly have, as although they share a weakness to Ground, Croagunk can check most of the Steel-, Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-types that threaten Amaura. It can also provide Knock Off support, enabling Amaura to score OHKOs on the likes of Vullaby and Foongus. Slowpoke is a decent check to the physical attackers that plague Amaura, while Amaura's Ice-type STAB move nails Grass-types that threaten Slowpoke Snubbull and Spritzee are more consistent Fighting-type checks than Croagunk or Slowpoke, but they also lose to Steel-types. Other Fighting-types make for good teammates to Amaura, as they all appreciate Amaura's ability to handle Flying-type foes, while they can beat opposing Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed. They can also provide Knock Off support, and Mienfoo and Pancham in particular can provide Amaura a free switch with their pivoting moves. Snivy pairs excellently with Amaura, as Snivy can break opposing walls that Amaura has difficulty wearing down, while Amaura can handle foes that Snivy struggles with, such as Vullaby and Foongus.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Chople Berry halves the damage taken from a super effective Fighting-type attack. Although this won't prevent Amaura from being OHKOed by any substantially strong Fighting-type attack, it might allow Amaura to withstand a Mach Punch or a Vacuum Wave. Amaura can utilize moves such as Stealth Rock, Light Screen, and Reflect as a lead, but doing so limits its offensive presence. Calm Mind can be used on the Berry Juice set, allowing Amaura to break through bulky teams. However, Amaura's lack of reliable recovery and only moderate Speed make this set difficult to utilize. Haze can be used on the Choice Scarf set in order to shut down opposing set up sweepers such as Calm Mind Spritzee and Swords Dance Mienfoo. However, there are many sweepers, such as Bulk Up Timburr and Nasty Plot Croagunk, that Haze cannot stop. Echoed Voice is a decent option on the Choice Scarf set that becomes incrementally more powerful every turn. Although it is less powerful than Hyper Voice initially, it severely punishes switches. While Nature Power, which turns into Tri Attack, is less powerful than Hyper Voice and does not bypass Substitute, it has a chance to inflict status and bypasses Sucker Punch.

Checks & Counters
=====================

**Steel-types**: Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Magnemite can switch in easily on an Ice-type move and comfortably OHKO Amaura with their STAB moves. Pawniard and Magnemite will both be heavily dented by an Earth Power, however.

**Fighting-types**: Timburr and Croagunk can quite easily check Amaura, as their priority STAB moves both OHKO it. Bulkier Fighting-types, such as Mienfoo, Scraggy, Pancham, and Timburr, can directly switch into Amaura and OHKO it with a Fighting-type STAB move.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Chinchou and Slowpoke can easily take on Amaura. They can usually switch into a Hyper Voice or Hyper Beam and OHKO or severely dent Amaura with Scald or Hydro Pump. However, Chinchou must be wary of Earth Power.

**Munchlax**: Munchlax with Thick Fat and Earthquake can get around Amaura quite easily, as it resists Amaura's Ice-type STAB attacks thanks to Thick Fat while ignoring most other attacks due to its inherent bulk. Similarly, Porygon is a great check; however, it can be 3HKOed by Hyper Voice, so a bad status effect or an ill-timed full paralysis can spell doom for Porygon.

**Priority Attacks**: Common priority attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch, Croagunk's Vaccuum Wave, and Corphish's Aqua Jet all hit hard and bypass Amaura's Choice Scarf and Rock Polish Speed boosts.

Last edited:

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd like it to be mentioned somewhere that both Refrigerated Hyper Voice and Blizzard deal the same damage in almost all cases, so the choice between which set to run is dependent on whether you want Hail up or not. Running Refrigerate grants you access to a nuclear Hyper Beam and prevents you from damaging your own teammates, while Snow Warning lets you stop enemy weather shenanigans while also breaking Sturdy and getting a bit of chip damage.

Choice Scarf:

Change the EV spread to 60 HP / 220 SpA / 228 Spe like how it is in the Setup Sweeper set. Being able to switch into SR 4 times without dying is more important than an extra point in Defense and Special Defense IMO. They don't prevent KOes from either Mach Punch or Vacuum Wave so I don't see the point.

Other Options:

Mention Echoed Voice as a gimmicky but still possibly strong option for Amaura. It's Base Power increases every consecutive turn you use it and since Amaura is Choiced anyway this gives it a fantastic way to capitalize on switches. On the second turn it's only slightly weaker than Hyper Voice, and after that, it far surpasses it in terms of damage. Naturally, it's not as reliable as Hyper Voice is, but it still highly discourages your opponent from doing sacrifices.

Also I think Haze could deserve a mention. Scarf Haze can put a stop to Pokemon such as CM Spritzee, SD Mienfoo or Pancham, or Torchic, none of which Amaura can normally beat. However, there are plenty of sweepers that Amaura can't stop like this, namely any Shell Smasher, Timburr, or NP Croagunk, so it's not an amazing option.

Checks and Counters:

You mention Nature Power twice under Water-types and Munchlax. Replace this with Hyper Voice.

QC 1/4

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I disagree, Nature Power is still really cool, as the 20% chance to inflict a status is really useful, at the exchange of 10 BP. If you feel comfortable that is a good trade off imo. At the very least make it a mention. For example, while Nature Power only deals minimum 40% to standard DD Scraggy, Hyper Voice only deals minimum 45% (the differential is closer to ~4%).

I personally have never used a Calm Mind set to effectiveness, its simply not good, especially with Amaura's paper thin defenses; Setup Amaura, outside specific, niche scenarios, is mostly deadweight. I'd personally replace it with the previous Berry Juice Pivot set, meant to be a good Fletchling switch in meant to Thunder Wave everything and smash through everything.

Add in Rindo Berry to OO, a set of Rindo Berry and Rock Polish helps to lure and beat / set up on things like Bellsprout, 228 Timid lets it hit 15 Spe, outspeeding +0 Timid Bellsprout, letting it also outspeed at +2 under Sun. With Rindo Berry, Life Orb 17 SpA Solarbeam does max 84%. This is one of those situations where Rock Polish is kind of cool. Personally I'd hype up Chople Berry+Hyper Beam more, its a really cool lure for things like Mienfoo and Timburr.

Remove Eviolite from OO, Eviolite simply has too poor defenses and too slow of a speed with no recovery to be useful, similar to Calm mind, only its less squishy and less powerful. Remove Barrier as well, as that sentence implies that Amaura would have Barrier, Substitute, and a boosting move, allowing only Ice coverage which is simply unnacceptable.

Add Slowpoke as a teammate, I've always found it especially good in tandem with Amaura, helping relieve pressure from things like Fletchling (which it can lose to if simply keeps switching in). Things like Ponyta and Larvesta should also be added, as they are excellent switchins to Mienfoo or Pawniard. In short, add more to Team Options. These suggestions are by no means finished, its just midnight and I'm tired of doing this.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I disagree, Nature Power is still really cool, as the 20% chance to inflict a status is really useful, at the exchange of 10 BP. If you feel comfortable that is a good trade off imo. At the very least make it a mention. For example, while Nature Power only deals minimum 40% to standard DD Scraggy, Hyper Voice only deals minimum 45% (the differential is closer to ~4%).

I personally have never used a Calm Mind set to effectiveness, its simply not good, especially with Amaura's paper thin defenses; Setup Amaura, outside specific, niche scenarios, is mostly deadweight. I'd personally replace it with the previous Berry Juice Pivot set, meant to be a good Fletchling switch in meant to Thunder Wave everything and smash through everything.

Add in Rindo Berry to OO, a set of Rindo Berry and Rock Polish helps to lure and beat / set up on things like Bellsprout, 228 Timid lets it hit 15 Spe, outspeeding +0 Timid Bellsprout, letting it also outspeed at +2 under Sun. With Rindo Berry, Life Orb 17 SpA Solarbeam does max 84%. This is one of those situations where Rock Polish is kind of cool. Personally I'd hype up Chople Berry+Hyper Beam more, its a really cool lure for things like Mienfoo and Timburr.

Remove Eviolite from OO, Eviolite simply has too poor defenses and too slow of a speed with no recovery to be useful, similar to Calm mind, only its less squishy and less powerful. Remove Barrier as well, as that sentence implies that Amaura would have Barrier, Substitute, and a boosting move, allowing only Ice coverage which is simply unnacceptable.

Add Slowpoke as a teammate, I've always found it especially good in tandem with Amaura, helping relieve pressure from things like Fletchling (which it can lose to if simply keeps switching in). Things like Ponyta and Larvesta should also be added, as they are excellent switchins to Mienfoo or Pawniard. In short, add more to Team Options. These suggestions are by no means finished, its just midnight and I'm tired of doing this.
I can agree with most of this. I've been using SubCM Amaura recently, and it can only set up on a few things. I will move it to Other Options, however.

Amaura can force out many things, making Substitute or Rock Polish quite easy to set up. Sub protects it from priority from Timburr, while Rock Polish allows it to clean faster teams with stuff like Mienfoo and whatnot. I know it's defenses and weaknesses are shit, but a Rock Polish isn't hard to set up, and Berry Juice means taking a hit isn't the end of the world. I would be willing to slash Thunder Wave with both of these however, as this would punish switches just as well.

I don't really see the point of Rindo Berry for Bellsprout aside from surprise factor. If you want to deal with Bellsprout, Snow Warning Amaura can come in on anything but a Sleep Powder and fire off a Blizzard.

I'm pretty on board with the rest of your suggestions.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright it looks like you've gone through with the changes, it looks ok now, you can count the other post as QC 2/4

The Avalanches

On the Choice Scarf set, Thunderbolt isn't completely mandatory (I run Hyper Beam and rocks on the same set because why not; team support to trap/defeat mantyke/slowpoke/etc isn't terribly hard to provide), especially on Refrigerate sets. So I think slashing Hyper Beam alongside Thunderbolt would be reasonable, as it opens up the possibility of running Hyper Beam + support move in the same set. If you or another QC feels this would make the set too slashy, perhaps this possibility could just be mentioned in the set comments, lemme know. On the topic of Hyper Beam, be sure to clarify it's only to be used on Refrigerate sets.

Looks good, QC 3/4

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
is thunder wave or SR really worth a slot on the scarf set, idk. especially twave, like what is the point in that on scarf. i'd rather run ancientpower as the only thing it can hit larvesta with, i know it's not great but let's face it you're only ever clicking blizz/hyper voice anyway. remove twave, slash ancientpower imo

why is it called set up sweeper when rock polish is only slashed.

nature power also avoid sucker punch which should be mentioned in OO

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
for the record i use rock polish amaura regularly and i see no benefit to twave being slashed over rp, especially if it's a set up sweeper... which that set very much is. dino appreciates the immense speed boost and i would support just not having twave at all outside of a passive mention

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET] Choice Scarf
Usage Tips
-------------
Mention one more time that the choice between Refrigerate and Snow Warning is really up to team structure, if you're weak to sun use snow, if you have sashes or Sturdy use fridge, etc etc etc

Remove the dashes

Team Options
----------------
Amaura has a tough time with special walls, so a special wallbreaker like Snivy is fantastic. Snivy in particular also can blast through the bulky Waters Amaura has a tough time with

Remove the dashes

[SET] Berry Juice
Team Options
----------------
Add Snivy again, it's a great partner

[Other Options]
Amaura has access to Reflect and Light Screen

QC 4/4

Last edited:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
welcome to c&c central, how may i help you
this is just an amcheck

Add / Correction
Remove
Comments
{{Prose Options}}

[OVERVIEW]

Amaura is an excellent answer to Flying-types in the Little Cup metagame, resisting their STAB Flying-type attacks and hitting back with its powerful Ice-type STAB moves. Amaura's unique ability, (AC) Refrigerate, (AC) turns all Normal-type moves into Ice-type moves and boosts them by 30%. This turns Hyper Voice into an impressive 117 Base Power Ice-Type STAB move which bypasses Substitute with an impressive 117 Base Power coupled with the ability to bypass Substitute. Amaura's other ability, (AC) Snow Warning, (AC) sets up five turns of Hail, which allows Blizzard to bypass its accuracy check as well as providing chip damage to foes over time. Furthermore, it allows Amaura to neuter opposing weather teams by depriving opposing sweepers of their weather. Unfortunately, Amaura's typing is horrible defensively; it has a ton of weaknesses, including a 4x weakness to both Steel and Fighting, a gaping liability in a tier where Pawniard, Mienfoo, and Timburr are so dominant. Moreover, common priority attacks such as Mach Punch or and Aqua Jet limit the amount of foes that Amaura threatens Amaura's ability to threaten certain foes. However, Amaura's typing and brilliant offensive prowess will allow it to severely threaten most of the Flying- and Grass-types in the metagame.

[SET]
########

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

When paired with Refrigerate, Hyper Voice becomes a powerful STAB move that bypasses Substitute, allowing Amaura to revenge kill foes with a Substitute up. On Snow Warning sets, Blizzard is 100% accurate and just as powerful as Hyper Voice after hail damage is factored in. However, it does not bypass Substitute. Earth Power provides nearly flawless coverage with Amaura's Ice-type STAB and hits foes such as Chinchou, Pawniard, and Skrelp super effectively. Thunderbolt hits the odd Mantyke and Slowpoke for super effective damage, but will rarely be used. After a Refrigerate boost, (AC) Hyper Beam after a Refrigerate boost allows Amaura to hit hits devastatingly hard, but the recharge turn it requires will leave Amaura prone to being as setup bait. Ancient Power is an alternative for Snow Warning sets that punishes Larvesta.

Set Details
========

Refrigerate turns Amaura's Normal-type moves into Ice-type moves and gives them a 30% boost. This gives a significant boost to moves such as Hyper Voice and Hyper Beam. Snow Warning allows Amaura to halt opposing weather teams by summoning five turns of hail, which provides Blizzard with perfect accuracy. The choice between Refrigerate and Snow Warning depends entirely on whether Amaura wants to bypass Substitute and have a devastating Hyper Beam or break sturdy of foes foes' Sturdy and mess with opposing weather teams. 228 Speed EVs with a Choice Scarf allow for Amaura to reach 21 Speed, allowing Amaura to outspeeding its unboosted competition. 220 Special Attack EVs along with a Modest nature give Amaura an impressive 17 Special Attack stat, enabling it to revenge kill foes weak to Ice-type moves such as Archen, Foongus, Drilbur, and Fletchling. The remaining EVs are invested in 60 HP, (AC) EVs in order to {{which enables or enabling}} Amaura switch into Stealth Rock five times.

Usage Tips
========

Amaura's strong Ice-type STAB move makes it an excellent revenge killer, particularly against Flying- and Grass-types. However, Amaura's numerous weaknesses and frailty make it far too risky to be switched switch in manually. If Refrigerate is the chosen ability, then Amaura is capable of revenge killing foes such as Gastly and Abra behind a Substitute such as Gastly and Abra. In addition, Refrigerate allow for allows Amaura's teammates' Focus Sashes and Sturdy to remain intact. However, if Snow Warning is the chosen ability, Amaura can revenge kill opposing weather sweepers, (AC) such as Bellsprout and Oddish. This ability is the better of the two if your team is particularly susceptible to sun teams. Amaura is quite capable of forcing switches, as its attacks are very powerful. Switching into a teammate that can take advantage of a likely predicted switch by your opponent is a great, (AC) albeit risky, (AC) way to apply offensive pressure to your opponent

Team Options
========

Amaura requires extensive support in order to perform its job well. It is plagued by weaknesses and will need a teammate to cover each of them. Croagunk is one of the best teammates Amaura can possibly have. (RP/AC), as although they share a weakness to Ground, Croagunk can check most of the Steel-, Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-types that threaten Amaura. It can also provide Knock Off support, enabling Amaura to score OHKOes on the likes of Vullaby and Foongus. Slowpoke is a decent check to the physical attackers that plague Amaura, while Amaura's Ice-type STAB nails Grass-types that threaten Slowpoke. Snubbull and Spritzee are more consistent Fighting-type checks. (RP/AC), but they also lose to Steel-types. Although they lose to Steel-types, their Fairy-type STAB moves punish Fighting-type foes. Other Fighting-types make for good teammates to Amaura, as they all appreciate Amaura's ability to handle Flying-type foes, (AC) while they can beat opposing Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed. They can also provide Knock Off support, while and Mienfoo and Pancham in particular can provide Amaura a free switch with their pivoting moves. Snivy is an excellent teammate for Amaura as well, as Amaura has difficult breaking past some special walls, while Snivy appreciates Amaura's ability to remove Flying-type foes.

[SET]
########

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Polish allows boosts Amaura's Speed by two stages, allowing Amaura to clean up an opposing team late game, while whereas Thunder Wave allows Amaura to handily cripple switches. Hyper Voice is Amaura's most powerful STAB thanks to its ability Refrigerate. It bypasses Substitute and deals heavy damage to anything that does not resist it. Earth Power provides near-perfect coverage alongside Hyper Voice, hitting foes such as Pawniard and Chinchou super effectively. Amaura's ability to force switches allows it to lets it easily set up a Substitute, which allows it to avoid being hit with status moves and priority attacks while it sets up. It Substitute can also activate Amaura's Berry Juice.

Set Details
========

Refrigerate is chosen over Snow Warning, as Amaura's Blizzard is only given five turns of perfect accuracy, and once Amaura is behind a Substitute or at +2 Speed, (RC) it is impractical for it to be switched out. Berry Juice is Amaura's means of healing, and allows it to set up more Substitutes. 60 HP EVs give Amaura an HP stat of 25, allowing it to set up four Substitutes, as well as letting it switch into Stealth Rock an additional time. (AP) The remaining EVs are invested in order to maximize Amaura's Special Attack and Speed. If Amaura is running Rock Polish, then a Modest nature allows it to maximize its Special Attack while reaching 28 Speed after a boost. However, a Timid nature allows Amaura to outspeed defensive variants of Chinchou unboosted.

Usage Tips
========

This set is supposed to function as a late game cleaner or mid-game wallbreaker, once Amaura's checks and priority users are incapacitated. If Amaura is running Thunder Wave, then it can cripple its checks early-game allowing for it or a teammate to clean up afterward. Amaura can be brought in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch. It is much too frail to be switched in manually, however, Amaura can easily boost up or set up a Substitute as it can force switches easily, even against faster foes thanks to the assumption that it runs Choice Scarf.

Team Options
========

Amaura requires extensive support in order to perform its job well. It is plagued by weaknesses and will need a teammate to cover each of them. Croagunk is one of the best teammates Amaura can possibly have. (RP/AC), as although they share a weakness to Ground, Croagunk can check most of the Steel-, Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-types that threaten Amaura. It can also provide Knock Off support, enabling Amaura to score OHKOes on the likes of Vullaby and Foongus. Slowpoke is a decent check to the physical attackers that plague Amaura, while Amaura's Ice-type STAB nails Grass-types that threaten Slowpoke. Snubbull and Spritzee are more consistent Fighting-type checks. (RP/AC), but they also lose to Steel-types. Although they lose to Steel-types, their Fairy-type STAB moves punish Fighting-type foes. Other Fighting-types make for good teammates to Amaura, as they all appreciate Amaura's ability to handle Flying-type foes, (AC) while they can beat opposing Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed. They can also provide Knock Off support, while and Mienfoo and Pancham in particular can provide Amaura a free switch with their pivoting moves. Snivy is an excellent teammate for Amaura as well, as Amaura has difficult breaking past some special walls, while Snivy appreciates Amaura's ability to remove Flying-type foes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Chople Berry halves the damage taken from a super effective Fighting-type attack. Although this won't prevent Amaura from being OHKOed by any substantially strong Fighting-type attack, it may allow Amaura to withstand a Mach Punch or a Vaccum Wave. Amaura can utilize moves such as Stealth Rock, Light Screen, and Reflect as a lead, but doing so limits its offensive presence. Calm Mind can be used on the Berry Juice set, allowing Amaura to break opposing teams. However, Amaura's lack of reliable recovery and only moderate Speed make this set difficult to utilize. Haze can be used on the Choice Scarf set in order to shut down opposing set up sweepers such as Calm Mind Spritzee and Swords Dance Mienfoo. However, there are many sweepers, such as Bulk Up Timburr and Nasty Plot Croagunk, that Haze cannot stop. Echoed Voice is a decent option on the Choice Scarf set which becomes incrementally more powerful every turn. Although it is less powerful than Hyper Voice initially, it severely punishes switches. While Nature Power is less powerful than Hyper Voice, it has a chance to inflict status and bypasses Sucker Punch.

Checks & Counters
=====================

**Steel-types**: Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Magnemite can switch in easily on an Ice-type move and comfortably OHKO Amaura with their STAB moves. Pawniard and Magnemite will both be heavily dented by an Earth Power, however.

**Fighting-types**: Timburr and Croagunk can quite easily check Amaura, (AC) as their STAB priority moves both OHKO it. Bulkier Fighting-types, (AC) such as Mienfoo, Scraggy, Pancham, and Timburr, (AC) can directly switch into Amaura and OHKO with a Fighting-type STAB move.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Chinchou and Slowpoke can easily take on Amaura, especially if Amaura doesn't run Thunderbolt. They can usually switch into a Hyper Voice or Hyper Beam and OHKO or severely dent Amaura with Scald or Hydro Pump.

**Munchlax**: Munchlax with Thick Fat and Earthquake can get around Amaura quite easily, as it resists Amaura's Ice-type STAB attacks thanks to Thick Fat while ignoring most other attacks due to its inherent bulk. Similarly, Porygon is a great check; (AS) however, (AC) although it can be 3HKOed by Hyper Voice, so a bad status effect or an ill-timed full paralysis can spell doom for Porygon.

**Priority attacks**: Common priority attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch, Croagunk's Vaccuum Wave, and Corphish's Aqua Jet all hit hard, (RC) and bypass Amaura's Choice Scarf and Rock Polish sets Speed boosts.

this is now done but don't implement it, it needs to be looked over by another GPer

tagging antemortem, P Squared, Queez

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

Amaura is an excellent answer to Flying-types in the Little Cup metagame, resisting their STAB Flying-type attacks and hitting back with its powerful Ice-type STAB moves. Amaura's unique ability, (AC) Refrigerate, (AC) commas like these aren't techinicallynecessary--I shy away from them unless something's already incorrect turns all Normal-type moves into Ice-type moves and boosts them by 30%. This turns Hyper Voice into an impressive 117 Base Power Ice-Type STAB move which bypasses Substitute with an impressive 117 Base Power coupled with the ability to bypass Substitute. however, I like this rewording. The end got cluttered Amaura's other ability, (AC) Snow Warning, (AC) sets up five turns of Hail, which allows Blizzard to bypass its accuracy check as well as providing chip damage to foes over time. Furthermore, it allows Amaura to neuter opposing weather teams by depriving opposing sweepers of their weather. Unfortunately, Amaura's typing is horrible defensively; it has a ton of weaknesses, including a 4x weakness to both Steel and Fighting, a gaping liability in a tier where Pawniard, Mienfoo, and Timburr are so dominant. Moreover, common priority attacks such as Mach Punch or and Aqua Jet limit the amount of foes that Amaura threatens Amaura's ability to threaten certain foes. However, Amaura's typing and brilliant offensive prowess will allow it to severely threaten most of the Flying- and Grass-types in the metagame.

[SET]
########

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

When paired with Refrigerate, Hyper Voice becomes a powerful STAB move that bypasses Substitute, allowing Amaura to revenge kill foes with a Substitute up. On Snow Warning sets, Blizzard is 100% accurate and just as powerful as Hyper Voice after hail damage is factored in. However, it does not bypass Substitute. Earth Power provides nearly flawless coverage with Amaura's Ice-type STAB move and hits foes such as Chinchou, Pawniard, and Skrelp super effectively. Thunderbolt hits the odd Mantyke and Slowpoke for super effective damage, but will rarely be used. After a Refrigerate boost, (AC) Hyper Beam after a Refrigerate boost allows Amaura to hit hits devastatingly hard, but the recharge turn it requires will leave Amaura prone to being as setup bait. Ancient Power is an alternative for Snow Warning sets that punishes Larvesta.

Set Details
========

Refrigerate turns Amaura's Normal-type moves into Ice-type moves and gives them a 30% boost. This gives a significant boost to moves such as Hyper Voice and Hyper Beam. Snow Warning allows Amaura to halt opposing weather teams by summoning five turns of hail, which provides Blizzard with perfect accuracy. The choice between Refrigerate and Snow Warning depends entirely on whether Amaura wants to bypass Substitute and have a devastating Hyper Beam or break sturdy of foes foes' Sturdy and mess with opposing weather teams. 228 Speed EVs with a Choice Scarf allow for Amaura to reach 21 Speed, allowing Amaura to outspeeding I think removing the comma and saying 'and outspeed its unboosted...' is a better choice. Reach, outspeed--more similar tenses its unboosted competition. 220 Special Attack EVs along with a Modest nature give Amaura an impressive 17 Special Attack stat, enabling it to revenge kill foes weak to Ice-type moves such as Archen, Foongus, Drilbur, and Fletchling. The remaining EVs are invested in 60 HP, (AC) EVs in order to {{which enables or enabling}} Amaura switch into Stealth Rock five times.

Usage Tips
========

Amaura's strong Ice-type STAB move makes it an excellent revenge killer, particularly against Flying- and Grass-types. However, Amaura's numerous weaknesses and frailty make it far too risky to be switched switch in manually. If Refrigerate is the chosen ability, then Amaura is capable of revenge killing foes such as Gastly and Abra behind a Substitute such as Gastly and Abra. In addition, Refrigerate allow for allows Amaura's teammates' Focus Sashes and Sturdy to remain intact. However, if Snow Warning is the chosen ability, Amaura can revenge kill opposing weather sweepers, (AC) this comma isn't entirely needed either such as Bellsprout and Oddish. This ability is the better of the two if your team is particularly susceptible to sun teams. Amaura is quite capable of forcing switches, as its attacks are very powerful. Switching into a teammate that can take advantage of a likely predicted switch by your opponent is a great, (AC) albeit risky, (AC) these are pretty necessary tho way to apply offensive pressure to your opponent

Team Options
========

Amaura requires extensive support in order to perform its job well. It is plagued by weaknesses and will need a teammate to cover each of them. Croagunk is one of the best teammates Amaura can possibly have. (RP/AC), as although they share a weakness to Ground, Croagunk can check most of the Steel-, Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-types that threaten Amaura. It can also provide Knock Off support, enabling Amaura to score OHKOes OHKOs on the likes of Vullaby and Foongus. Slowpoke is a decent check to the physical attackers that plague Amaura, while Amaura's Ice-type STAB nails Grass-types that threaten Slowpoke. Snubbull and Spritzee are more consistent Fighting-type checks. (RP/AC), but they also lose to Steel-types. Although they lose to Steel-types, their Fairy-type STAB moves punish Fighting-type foes. Other Fighting-types make for good teammates to Amaura, as they all appreciate Amaura's ability to handle Flying-type foes, (AC) this comma is sort of a difficult situation--a comma before 'while' most always delegates it to mean 'whereas,' which SORT of is the case here but the standard 'at the same time' version of while also makes more sense. This isn't exactly wrong here but look out for it in the future while they can beat opposing Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed. They can also provide Knock Off support, while and Yeah looks like you've got it anyway haha Mienfoo and Pancham in particular can provide Amaura a free switch with their pivoting moves. Snivy is an excellent teammate for Amaura as well, as Amaura has difficult breaking past some special walls, while Snivy appreciates Amaura's ability to remove Flying-type foes.

[SET]
########

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Polish allows boosts Amaura's Speed by two stages, allowing Amaura to clean up an opposing team late-game, while whereas changing this isn't exactly necessary, as while and whereas mean the same thing after a comma Thunder Wave allows Amaura to handily cripple switches switch-ins. Hyper Voice is Amaura's most powerful STAB move thanks to its ability Refrigerate. It bypasses Substitute and deals heavy damage to anything that does not resist it. Earth Power provides near-perfect coverage alongside Hyper Voice, hitting foes such as Pawniard and Chinchou super effectively. Amaura's ability to force switches allows it to lets it this is a pretty subjective change too easily set up a Substitute, which allows it to avoid being hit with status moves and priority attacks while it sets up. It Substitute can also activate Amaura's Berry Juice.

Set Details
========

Refrigerate is chosen over Snow Warning, as Amaura's Blizzard is only given five turns of perfect accuracy, (RC) and because once Amaura is behind a Substitute or at +2 Speed, (RC) keep this comma. It's a bit better for the flow to display the two reasons that Refrigerate should be used (only 5 turns of Blizzard and can't switch out) unspliced by that comma. Leaving the second one then makes the flow better there it is impractical for it to be switched out. Berry Juice is Amaura's means of healing, and allows it to set up more Substitutes. 60 HP EVs give Amaura an HP stat of 25, allowing it to set up four Substitutes, as well as letting it switch into Stealth Rock an additional time. (AP) The remaining EVs are invested in order to maximize Amaura's Special Attack and Speed. If Amaura is running Rock Polish, then a Modest nature allows it to maximize its Special Attack while reaching 28 Speed after a boost. However, a Timid nature allows Amaura to outspeed defensive variants of Chinchou unboosted.

Usage Tips
========

This set is supposed to function as a late-game cleaner or mid-game wallbreaker, once Amaura's checks and priority users are incapacitated. If Amaura is running Thunder Wave, then it can cripple its checks early-game allowing for it or a teammate to clean up afterward. Amaura can be brought in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch; (SC) it is much too frail to be switched in manually. (period) However, once in Amaura can easily boost up or set up a Substitute as it can force switches easily, even against faster foes thanks to the assumption that it runs Choice Scarf.

Team Options
========

Amaura requires extensive support in order to perform its job well. It is plagued by weaknesses and will need a teammate to cover each of them. Croagunk is one of the best teammates Amaura can possibly have. (RP/AC), as although they share a weakness to Ground, Croagunk can check most of the Steel-, Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-types that threaten Amaura. It can also provide Knock Off support, enabling Amaura to score OHKOes OHKOs on the likes of Vullaby and Foongus. Slowpoke is a decent check to the physical attackers that plague Amaura, while Amaura's Ice-type STAB move nails Grass-types that threaten Slowpoke. Snubbull and Spritzee are more consistent Fighting-type checks. (RP/AC), but they also lose to Steel-types. Although they lose to Steel-types, their Fairy-type STAB moves punish Fighting-type foes. Other Fighting-types make for good teammates to Amaura, as they all appreciate Amaura's ability to handle Flying-type foes, (AC) while they can beat opposing Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed. They can also provide Knock Off support, while and Mienfoo and Pancham in particular can provide Amaura a free switch with their pivoting moves. Snivy is an excellent teammate for Amaura as well, as Amaura has difficult breaking past some special walls, while Snivy appreciates Amaura's ability to remove Flying-type foes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Chople Berry halves the damage taken from a super effective Fighting-type attack. Although this won't prevent Amaura from being OHKOed by any substantially strong Fighting-type attack, it may might allow Amaura to withstand a Mach Punch or a Vaccum Wave. Amaura can utilize moves such as Stealth Rock, Light Screen, and Reflect as a lead, but doing so limits its offensive presence. Calm Mind can be used on the Berry Juice set, allowing Amaura to break opposing teams. However, Amaura's lack of reliable recovery and only moderate Speed make this set difficult to utilize. Haze can be used on the Choice Scarf set in order to shut down opposing set-up set-up as in sweepers that have already boosted sweepers such as Calm Mind Spritzee and Swords Dance Mienfoo. However, there are many sweepers, such as Bulk Up Timburr and Nasty Plot Croagunk, that Haze cannot stop. Echoed Voice is a decent option on the Choice Scarf set which becomes incrementally more powerful every turn. Although it is less powerful than Hyper Voice initially, it severely punishes switches. While Nature Power is less powerful than Hyper Voice, it has a chance to inflict status and bypasses Sucker Punch.

Checks & Counters
=====================

**Fighting-types**: Timburr and Croagunk can quite easily check Amaura, (AC) as their STAB priority moves both OHKO it. Bulkier Fighting-types, (AC) such as Mienfoo, Scraggy, Pancham, and Timburr, (AC) can directly switch into Amaura and OHKO with a Fighting-type STAB move.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Chinchou and Slowpoke can easily take on Amaura, especially if Amaura doesn't run Thunderbolt. They can usually switch into a Hyper Voice or Hyper Beam and OHKO or severely dent Amaura with Scald or Hydro Pump.

**Munchlax**: Munchlax with Thick Fat and Earthquake can get around Amaura quite easily, as it resists Amaura's Ice-type STAB attacks thanks to Thick Fat while ignoring most other attacks due to its inherent bulk. Similarly, Porygon is a great check; (AS) however, (AC) although it can be 3HKOed by Hyper Voice, so a bad status effect or an ill-timed full paralysis can spell doom for Porygon.

**Priority Attacks**: Common priority attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch, Croagunk's Vaccuum Wave, and Corphish's Aqua Jet all hit hard, (RC) and bypass Amaura's Choice Scarf and Rock Polish sets Speed boosts.

1/2

Good work here H&MBerkeley! This is something I'd consider stamping (but that doesn't matter so much at the moment, haha). The main issues I have is that a good number of changes here are just some simple rewordings, but enough legitimate errors were missed here (and consistently) that sort of drags that down. It's just minor stuff, but be sure to memorize them for the future. Also, this isn't a particularly error-heavy analysis, so there's not much to 'show off' anyway!

Last edited:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Amaura is an excellent answer to Flying-types in Little Cup, resisting their STAB Flying-type attacks and hitting back with powerful Ice-type STAB moves. Amaura's unique ability, (AC) Refrigerate, (AC) turns all Normal-type moves into Ice-type moves and boosts them their power by 30%. This turns Hyper Voice into an impressive 117 Base Power Ice-type STAB move which that bypasses Substitute. Amaura's other ability, (AC) Snow Warning, (AC) sets up five turns of Hail hail, which allows Blizzard to bypass its accuracy check as well as providing and provides chip damage to foes over time. Furthermore, it allows Amaura to neuter opposing weather teams by depriving opposing sweepers of their weather. Unfortunately, Amaura's typing is horrible defensively; it has a ton of weaknesses, including a 4x weakness to both Steel and Fighting, which is a gaping liability in a tier where Pawniard, Mienfoo, and Timburr are so dominant. Moreover, common priority attacks such as Mach Punch and Aqua Jet limit Amaura's ability to threaten certain foes. However, Amaura's typing and brilliant offensive prowess will allow it to severely threaten most of the Flying- and Grass-types in the metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

When paired with Refrigerate, Hyper Voice becomes a powerful STAB move that bypasses Substitute, allowing Amaura to revenge kill foes with a Substitute up. On Snow Warning sets, Blizzard is 100% accurate and just as powerful as Hyper Voice after hail damage is factored in. However, it does not bypass Substitute. Earth Power provides nearly flawless coverage with Amaura's Ice-type STAB move and hits foes such as Chinchou, Pawniard, and Skrelp super effectively. Thunderbolt hits the odd occasional Mantyke and Slowpoke for super effective damage, but it will rarely be used. After a Refrigerate boost, Hyper Beam hits devastatingly hard, but the recharge turn it requires will leave Amaura as setup bait. Ancient Power is an alternative for Snow Warning sets that punishes Larvesta.

Set Details
========

Refrigerate turns Amaura's Normal-type moves into Ice-type moves and gives them a 30% boost to their Base Power. This gives a significant boost to moves such as Hyper Voice and Hyper Beam. Snow Warning allows Amaura to halt opposing weather teams by summoning five turns of hail, which also provides Blizzard with perfect accuracy. The choice between Refrigerate and Snow Warning depends entirely on whether Amaura wants to bypass Substitute and have a devastating Hyper Beam or foes' Sturdy and mess with opposing weather teams. 228 Speed EVs with a Choice Scarf allow Amaura to reach 21 Speed and outspeed its unboosted competition. 220 Special Attack EVs along with a Modest nature give Amaura an impressive 17 Special Attack stat, enabling it to revenge kill foes weak to Ice-type moves such as Archen, Foongus, Drilbur, and Fletchling. The remaining EVs are invested into HP EVs, enabling Amaura to switch into Stealth Rock five times.

Usage Tips
========

Amaura's strong Ice-type STAB move makes it an excellent revenge killer, particularly against Flying- and Grass-types. However, Amaura's numerous weaknesses and frailty make it far too risky to switch in manually. If Refrigerate is the chosen ability, then Amaura is capable of revenge killing foes such as Gastly and Abra behind a Substitute. In addition, Refrigerate allows Amaura's teammates' Focus Sashes and Sturdy to remain intact. However, if Snow Warning is the chosen ability, Amaura can revenge kill opposing weather sweepers such as Bellsprout and Oddish. This ability is the better of the two if your team is particularly susceptible to sun teams. Amaura is quite capable of forcing switches, as its attacks are very powerful. Switching into a teammate that can take advantage of a predicted switch is a great, albeit risky, way to apply offensive pressure to your opponent the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Amaura requires extensive support in order to perform its job well. It is plagued by several weaknesses and will need a teammate to cover each of them. Croagunk is one of the best teammates Amaura can possibly have, as although they share a weakness to Ground, Croagunk can check most of the Steel-, Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-types that threaten Amaura. It can also provide Knock Off support, enabling Amaura to score OHKOs on the likes of Vullaby and Foongus. Slowpoke is a decent check to the physical attackers that plague Amaura, while Amaura's Ice-type STAB moves nails Grass-types that threaten Slowpoke. Snubbull and Spritzee are more consistent Fighting-type checks. Other Fighting-types make for good teammates to Amaura, as they all appreciate Amaura's ability to handle Flying-type foes, (AC) while they can beat opposing Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed. They can also provide Knock Off support, and Mienfoo and Pancham in particular can provide Amaura a free switch with their pivoting moves. Snivy is an excellent teammate for Amaura as well, as Amaura has difficult breaking past some special walls, while Snivy appreciates Amaura's ability to remove Flying-type foes.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Polish boosts Amaura's Speed by two stages, allowing Amaura to clean up an opposing team late-game, while Thunder Wave allows Amaura to handily cripple switch-ins. Hyper Voice is Amaura's most powerful STAB move thanks to its ability Refrigerate. It bypasses Substitute and deals heavy damage to anything that does not resist it. Earth Power provides near-perfect coverage alongside Hyper Voice, hitting foes such as Pawniard and Chinchou super effectively. Amaura's ability to force switches allows it to easily set up a Substitute, which allows it to avoid being hit with status moves and priority attacks while it sets up. Substitute can also activate Amaura's Berry Juice.

Set Details
========

Refrigerate is chosen over Snow Warning, as Amaura's Blizzard is only given five turns of perfect accuracy and because once Amaura is behind a Substitute or at +2 Speed, it is impractical for it to be switched out. Berry Juice is Amaura's means of healing, (RC) and allows it to set up more Substitutes. 60 HP EVs give Amaura an HP stat of 25, allowing it to set up four Substitutes, as well as letting it switch into Stealth Rock an additional time. The remaining EVs maximize Amaura's Special Attack and Speed. If Amaura is running Rock Polish, a Modest nature allows it to maximize its Special Attack while reaching 28 Speed after a boost. However, a Timid nature allows Amaura to outspeed defensive variants of Chinchou when unboosted.

Usage Tips
========

This set is supposed to function as a late-game cleaner or mid-game wallbreaker, (RC) once Amaura's checks and priority users are incapacitated. If Amaura is running Thunder Wave, then it can cripple its checks early-game, (AC) allowing for it or a teammate to clean up afterward. Amaura can be brought in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch; it is much too frail to be switched in manually. However, once it's in, (AC) Amaura can easily boost up or set up a Substitute, (AC) as it can force switches easily, even against faster foes thanks to the assumption that it runs Choice Scarf.

Team Options
========

Amaura requires extensive support in order to perform its job well. It is plagued by several weaknesses and will need a teammate to cover each of them. Croagunk is one of the best teammates Amaura can possibly have, as although they share a weakness to Ground, Croagunk can check most of the Steel-, Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-types that threaten Amaura. It can also provide Knock Off support, enabling Amaura to score OHKOs on the likes of Vullaby and Foongus. Slowpoke is a decent check to the physical attackers that plague Amaura, while Amaura's Ice-type STAB move nails Grass-types that threaten Slowpoke Snubbull and Spritzee are more consistent Fighting-type checks than Croagunk or Slowpoke, but they also lose to Steel-types. Other Fighting-types make for good teammates to Amaura, as they all appreciate Amaura's ability to handle Flying-type foes, while they can beat opposing Steel-types such as Pawniard and Ferroseed. They can also provide Knock Off support, and Mienfoo and Pancham in particular can provide Amaura a free switch with their pivoting moves. Snivy pairs excellently with Amaura, as Snivy can break opposing walls that Amaura has difficulty wearing down, while Amaura can handle foes that Snivy struggles with, such as Vullaby and Foongus.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Chople Berry halves the damage taken from a super effective Fighting-type attack. Although this won't prevent Amaura from being OHKOed by any substantially strong Fighting-type attack, it might allow Amaura to withstand a Mach Punch or a Vaccum Vacuum Wave. Amaura can utilize moves such as Stealth Rock, Light Screen, and Reflect as a lead, but doing so limits its offensive presence. Calm Mind can be used on the Berry Juice set, allowing Amaura to break through bulky opposing teams. However, Amaura's lack of reliable recovery and only moderate Speed make this set difficult to utilize. Haze can be used on the Choice Scarf set in order to shut down opposing set-(RH)up sweepers such as Calm Mind Spritzee and Swords Dance Mienfoo. However, there are many sweepers, such as Bulk Up Timburr and Nasty Plot Croagunk, that Haze cannot stop. Echoed Voice is a decent option on the Choice Scarf set which that becomes incrementally more powerful every turn. Although it is less powerful than Hyper Voice initially, it severely punishes switches. While Nature Power, which turns into Tri Attack, is less powerful than Hyper Voice and does not bypass Substitute, it has a chance to inflict status and bypasses Sucker Punch.

Checks & Counters
=====================

**Fighting-types**: Timburr and Croagunk can quite easily check Amaura, as their priority STAB priority moves both OHKO it. Bulkier Fighting-types, such as Mienfoo, Scraggy, Pancham, and Timburr, can directly switch into Amaura and OHKO it with a Fighting-type STAB move.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Chinchou and Slowpoke can easily take on Amaura, especially if Amaura doesn't run Thunderbolt (but Chinchou is immune to Thunderbolt). They can usually switch into a Hyper Voice or Hyper Beam and OHKO or severely dent Amaura with Scald or Hydro Pump.

**Munchlax**: Munchlax with Thick Fat and Earthquake can get around Amaura quite easily, as it resists Amaura's Ice-type STAB attacks thanks to Thick Fat while ignoring most other attacks due to its inherent bulk. Similarly, Porygon is a great check; however, it can be 3HKOed by Hyper Voice, so a bad status effect or an ill-timed full paralysis can spell doom for Porygon.

**Priority Attacks**: Common priority attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch, Croagunk's Vaccuum Wave, and Corphish's Aqua Jet all hit hard and bypass Amaura's Choice Scarf and Rock Polish Speed boosts.

GP 2/2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)