Ambipom vs the evil of Critical Hits! (my first warstory)

I just bred my Ambipom a few days ago and I was itching to try him out in a battle... on Smogon. I've faced GameFAQs opponents before, and so far most of them have been hackers or disconnectors. I never had a "real win", and I was afraid to have a "real match". After a deep breath and a cup of hot milk, the jitters continued as I connected to the match...

*** Robo Mike, codename "Snitch" ***
"Team Monkey Business"

vs.

*** codename "Chansey" ***

So why is the trainer named... "Chansey"? I didn't think parents named children after Pokemon... so for the sake of clarity, I will use the word "Opponent" to address Miss Chansey, since using Chansey in a sentence along with the Pokemon she's using... could get more confusing than a tongue twister.

Let the battle begin!

Note: All life totals are expressed by percentage and are estimates. The following warstory was written from memory.

6-6

Snitch (that's me) sent out Ambipom
Opponent sent out Rhyperior

I don't know if Mr. Monkey should use Fake Out or a more effective move, predicting a switch. But as the TV commercial goes, "No one switches out on Ambipom. Guaranteed results in 30 days or your money back!"

Ambipom used Fake Out (5%)
It's not very effective.
Rhyperior Flinched!

I was right. When did Ambipom ever scare anyone? And now it's time for Ambipom to hit the escape pods!

Ambipom used U-Turn! (15% damage total)
Snitch sent out Bronzong!
Rhyperior used Swords Dance

I was afraid his Rhyperior might have Hammer Arm or Megahorn, both moves are neutral against Bronzong, and with Swords Dance, it's gotta hurt quite a bit, right? Ohmigawd.

Opponent withdrew Rhyperior (!?!?)
Opponent sent out Blaziken
Bronzong used Earthquake! (70% damage)

I was surprised Rhyperior left the battlefield! And it had a Swords Dance too! (Emphasis on "had")

Now look what we have here: a Blaziken! I wonder what it's trying to do here... I didn't think my Iron Bell would fall in one hit to any fire attack, I predicted a switch!

Blaziken used Substitute! (down to 5%)
Blaziken's Salac Berry increased its speed...
Bronzong used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float around the opponent's field...

Okay... Blaziken didn't switch. This can't be good. It has a Substitute up and I'm willing to bet Blaziken's sensei had taught it Reversal... and now it's faster... I thought Bronzong might survive a Fire Punch or Blaze Kick.

Blaziken used Blaze Kick!
It's a critical hit!
Bronzong fainted!

5-6

Gulp. Ok that wasn't nice. While Bronzong was being carried out of the arena on a huge stretcher by some paramedics, I wondered what I can do. The Blaziken was fast and furious and very threatening. I had to do something to eliminate him from the arena! Starmie has a Focus Sash. I'm thought... after Starmie eliminates the Sub and sacrifices itself, Ambipom can just pop a Fake Out on Blaziken for the KO.

Snitch sent out Starmie!

Starmie used Surf!
The Blaziken's substitute disappeared!
Blaziken used Reversal! (less than 50%)
It's not very effective.

Wow, good thing my Starmie was max speed, I really didn't think it would be faster than Salac'ed Blaziken...

Now with the Blaziken exposed (and slower than Starmie), it would go down in 1 hit...

Opponent withdrew Blaziken.
Opponent sent out Cresselia!
Pointed stones dug into Cresselia
Starmie used Surf! (40% damage total from water and rocks)
Cresselia restored health due to Leftovers

Ah, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition and the Queen of Stall, Cresselia!

I decided to use Ambipom against Cresselia since Starmie wasn't doing enough damage... and I'm willing to bet U-Turn was gonna put a dent on her...

Snitch withdrew Starmie
Snitch sent out Ambipom
Opponent withdrew Cresselia. (WHAT!?)
Opponent sent out Salamence!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence

Now what...

Ambipom used Fake Out! (30% damage total including stones)
Salamence flinched!

I decided to set up a substitute for one of my sweepers. I bet my Drifblim can take the hit and survive...

Ambipom used U-Turn! (~40% damage total)
It's not very effective.
Snitch sent out Drifblim.
Salamence used Draco Meteor (95% damage)
Salamence's Sp. Atk harshly fell!
Drifblim's Petaya Berry raised its Special Attack.

OMG... I should've known it was going to use Draco Meteor... I KNEW IT! I JUST KNEW IT!

My huge balloon was losing hot air fast... I need to Baton Pass that Petaya bonus to something good, but first... now that my balloon is faster thanks to Unburden ability... I decided to risk trying to put Salamence to sleep...

Drifblim used Subsitute
Drifblim was too weak to make a substitute.
Salamence used Draco Meteor
Salamence's Sp. Atk harshly fell!
Drifblim fainted!

4-6

I pinched myself hard. This was a nightmarish error on my part.

I made a note to re-order Drifblim's moves after the battle.

Right now, Salamence's not going to faint anyone now with its pathetic Special Attack. I wonder who my opponent will switch in?

Snitch sent out Ambipom.

Opponent withdrew Salamence and sent out Rhyperior
Pointed stones dug into Rhyperior
Ambipom used Brick Break! (45% damage total)
It's super effective!

Brick Break is not putting a big dent on Rhyperior! Gulp... help?

I bet Mr. Monkey would survive anything Rhyperior would throw out, except a "Hammer Arm", a move that right now, I didn't think this Rhyperior knew.

Still, Ambipom was going down in a blaze of glory! Ambipom rushed straight into Rhyperior with arms flailing!

This would be Ambipom's valiant last stand.

Ambipom used Brick Break! (60% damage total)
It's super effective!
Rhyperior used Avalanche (100%)
It's a critical hit!
Ambipom fainted!

3-6

(insert slow trumpet dirge here)
RIP Ambipom, you did so well... Ambipom was a shining example to monkeys everywhere...

OMG NOT ANOTHER CRITICAL DAMMIT! I don't think I'm getting anywhere with this. As Ambipom is being tended to by the paramedics, I really need to come up with something... fast!

Snitch sent out Starmie!

Opponent withdrew Rhyperior and sent out Cresselia!
Pointed stones dug into Cresselia
Starmie used Surf! (75% total damage)
Cresselia restored health due to Leftovers (~65+%)

Ah, now to do the finishing blow. Cresslia would fall in 1 more hit!

Starmie used Surf! (95%)
Cresselia used Moonlight!
Cresselia restored health due to Leftovers (45%)

Now what? Cresselia was laughing like an evil maniac, boasting that Starmie could not put a dent on her! I have three Pokemon left. I know, it's time for some Shadow Balls on the dance floor. I definitely don't want to go down 0-6!

Snitch withdrew Starmie and sent out Gengar!
Cresselia used Moonlight! (health full)

Gengar used Shadow Ball! (75% damage on Cresselia)
It's super effective!
Gengar's Life Orb caused recoil damage
Cresselia used Psychic!
Gengar's life bar goes down... down... down... to the bottom of the sea...
It's super effective!
But wait! Gengar lives! (90%, 23 HP left)

Whew! Gengar lived! Unlike that episode in the anime... didn't a Ghost-type Pokemon just "die" there? And while my puny mind tried to figure out why 4Kids got sued for a plot involving the "death" of a ghost, it was time to finish off the Duck Princess...

Gengar used Shadow Ball!
It's super effective!
Cresselia fainted!
Gengar's Life Orb caused recoil damage
Gengar fainted!

2-5

YES! I didn't go down 0-6! Yay!

But I haven't seen two of their members. I sure hope none of them have a Choice Scarf on. I sure hope Weavile or Ninjask aren't waiting in the shadows!

Snitch sent out Starmie! (about 40% life left)
Opponent sent out Blaziken
Pointed stones dug into Blaziken...
Blaziken fainted!

2-4

Well, with the Rocks on the opponent's side of the field, Blaziken wouldn't have been able to come in anyhow. RIP Blaziken...

Opponent sent out Gyarados
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados...

Isn't this the time Electivire usually comes out? I decided to risk bolting Gyarados. Right now, I have no Earthquake to beat Electivire... gulp!

Starmie used Thunderbolt!
Gyarados fainted!

2-3

Opponent sent out Garchomp
Pointed stones dug into Garchop...

Garchomp! Oh PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't have a Choice Scarf equipped...

Starmie used Ice Beam!
Garchomp fainted!

2-2

Whew!

Opponent sent out Salamence
Pointed stones dug into Salamence...

Whew! And for a long while, I didn't think I was actually going to win...

Starmie used Ice Beam!
Salamence fainted!

2-1

Opponent sent out Rhyperior
Pointed stones dug into Rhyperior...

Starmie used Surf!
Rhyperior fainted!

2-0

Whew! I felt relieved! Hey, how many times did I use "whew" in this warstory? Hey, I won! Whew!

The Good:
* I didn't think I'd win!
* I didn't think Starmie would take less than half damage from a Reversal.
* I didn't think Drifblim would survive a Specs-boosted Draco Meteor.
* I didn't think Gengar would survive a Psychic from Cresselia!
* Starmie! I love you Starmie!

The Bad:
* Ambipom was often faced off against Rhyperior and didn't do much at all. I wanted to do more than poke the opponent with Ambipom!
* 2 Critical hits against me...
* I made a dumb move costing the life of my Drifblim. And just when the Petaya Berry activated...
* Opponent was "Starmie weak" and had an overall low-speed team.

The Ugly:
* Infernape was a coward and never came out to defend his brother. Bad monkey!
* I just realized I need Whirlwind... and a Physical Wall! Hi Skarmory... durrr...

Whew! That's a wrap. Thanks for reading Robo Mike's first warstory. I hope you enjoyed what little humor and references I tried to inject.

Good battle, Starmie was definitaly a punisher. It happens with me too, my Starmie usually causes a lot of problems, Boltbeam + Surf with 115 Spd rocks.

Poor Ambipom, it wasn't even able to scratch, but anyway, I don't think Ambipom could survive Rhyperior's Stone Edge/Earthquake.

I don't know if Mr. Monkey should use Fake Out or a more effective move, predicting a switch. But as the TV commercial goes, "No one switches out on Ambipom. Guaranteed results in 30 days or your money back!"
Lol. 100% true. No no is scared of Mr. Ambipom... and after this performance, who would be. Lol.

I should add that if you wanted Ambipom to do something, you should have switched it in on Blaziken and Double-Hit hit substitute. Ambipom has the same speed as Starmie, so whatever you got on Starmie would have worked then too...

Except Ambipom's Double-Hit hurts more than Starmie's surf. :-p W00t. Technician + STAB == pwns. 105 base power before STAB compared to Starmie 95 base power before STAB. 90% accuracy sucks though...

But really, your Ambipom doesn't have double-hit? Thats his secret attack.

Anyway, wow. Starmie is really the Death Star. Good god, it can survive and brush-off a Reversal from Blaziken? o.O

The fact that Starmie OHKO's 5 of your opponents pokemon should tell him/her that he/she should either have had some better coverage or used some diff. pokemon. Good battle either way, and nice comeback for the win.

Your opponent wasn't very threatning but still; nice battle and quite well-written warstory.

And anyone who uses Ambipom deserves to win in my book :]

I honestly thought you would lose until the end. Your opponent must of been embarrased to lose that way. Nice warstory.

Nice warstory, it made me re-think about using Starmie. I used one on Netbattle, but it really didn't sweep very well for me. I'm reconsidering now.

Ambipom is still pretty awsome, even if it didn't really get to do much this battle.

I should add that if you wanted Ambipom to do something, you should have switched it in on Blaziken and Double-Hit hit substitute. Ambipom has the same speed as Starmie, so whatever you got on Starmie would have worked then too...

Except Ambipom's Double-Hit hurts more than Starmie's surf. :-p W00t. Technician + STAB == pwns. 105 base power before STAB compared to Starmie 95 base power before STAB. 90% accuracy sucks though...

uhhh, Surf is super-effective against Blaziken...

nice warstory, kinda lucky against such a Starm-Weak team though lol

Now that I look...everything on his team not named Cresselia is threatened by a OHKO from Starmie. Good story though.

Yay for Gengar!
GENGAR!

Lol. Anyways, good job! I thought Gengar was dead when that Duck used Psychic! Congrats on a humiliating (for the opponent) victory! :)

Starmie used Surf! (95%)

err what happened here how can starmie do 95% damage

Starmie used Surf! (95%)

err what happened here how can starmie do 95% damage
Starmie only did about 30% damage. It's kind of obvious, isn't it? Cresselia had 65% damage, Starmie did 30% to it, 95%, then Cresselia healed 50% off.

Anyway, pretty good warstory. Your opponent was pretty bad though, and I can't believe he let his Cresselia die like that when it was his ONLY defense against your Starmie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)