Ambipom vs the Evil of Trick Room (my Second warstory)

Well, I had a tense match a while ago and I decided to write about it from memory. I hope I have reconstructed it more or less correctly. This is an actual Wifi match and not Shoddy Battle, so everything works, even my beloved Stealth Rock. =)

me, Codename "Snitch"
"Team Monkey Business"

Codename "Mudkipz"
...I'm already telling you, it's a Trick Room team...

GAME START!

Snitch sent out Ambipom
Mudkipz sent out Bronzong

Uh... not good... that Bronzong is either going to set up Stealth Rock or Trick Room... I better set up my own rocks, fast!

Ambipom used U-Turn! (15%)
Snitch sent out Bronzong.
(Mudkipz's) Bronzong used Trick Room!
Trick Room twisted the dimensions!

Ok, well at least my Bronzong is slow, it's even a -speed nature, but it's speed IV isn't exactly zero. I hope it has lower speed than the opponent's Bronzong... I wonder what they'll try...

(Mudkipz's) Bronzong used Hypnosis!
The attack missed!
(Snitch's) Bronzong used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float around the opponent's area!

Ok, the opponent's Bronzong is slower, should be expected from dedicated breeders. Unlike me, I'm a bit lazy and don't have a Bronzong with 0 IV in speed. Ah well... at this stage, I'd rather have my Bronzong asleep than anyone else...

(Mudkipz's) Bronzong used Hypnosis!
(Snitch's) Bronzong fell asleep!

Well, nothing to do here... a switch seems to be the in thing today...

Mudkipz withdrew Bronzong
Mudkipz sent out Camerupt!
Pointed stones dug into Camerupt... (12.5%)
Snitch withdrew Bronzong
Snitch sent out Starmie!

Ah, a good matchup. I'm sure they'll switch, and even though their Camerupt is going to go first, it's not going to dent my Starmie...

Mudkipz withdrew Camerupt.
Mudkipz sent out Snorlax!
Pointed stones dug into Snorlax... (12.5%)
Starmie used Surf! (25% total, including rocks)
The twisted dimensions returned to normal.

Hmm... this is evil... maybe I should try waking up Bronzong... but if that Snorlax is a Curselax... er, is that a good idea? I think it's a Choice Band one...

Since Trick Room is gone, they're gonna send out a Trick Room user, I'm sure.

Mudkipz withdrew Snorlax.
Mudkipz sent out Slowking.
Pointed stones dug into Slowking... (12.5%)
Starmie used Surf! (25% total, including rocks)
It's not very effective.
Slowking's leftovers restored health (~20% damaged)

Ok... what is Slowking going to do... ah, whatever it does, it can't possibly dent my Starmie...

Starmie used Thunderbolt! (55% damaged total)
It's very effective!
Slowking used Trick Room!
Slowking's leftovers restored health (~50% damaged)

A second Trick Room user! Well it IS to be expected... whatever Slowking does next, it can't possibly dent my Starmie...

Well, why do I keep repeating things like "it can't possibly dent"... that's because my Starmie has Focus Sash. It's INVINCIBLE!!! I expect it to take a hit sometime in the future...

Mudkipz withdrew Slowking.
Mudkipz sent out Snorlax.
Pointed stones dug into Snorlax... (about 40% damaged now)
Starmie used Surf! (total damaged over 50%)

Snorlax, huh... is it time to give Bronzong a Wake-up Slap? I'm not going to waste Starmie's Focus Sash here, not since it probably won't do tons of damage to Lax.

Snitch withdrew Starmie.
Snitch sent out Bronzong, who is soundly asleep!
Snorlax used Return! (30% damage)
It's not very effective.
Bronzong's leftovers restored health. (Now only 25% damaged)

Ouch. That huge Lax has to be "banded". It's probably going to switch now, for fear of my Bronzong waking up. I should probably switch out to a counter to whatever might come out...

Mudkipz said, "Snorlax, return!"
Mudkipz sent out Camerupt.
Pointed stones dug into Camerupt. (Now damaged 25% total.)
Snitch withdrew Bronzong.
Snitch sent out Mamoswine.

Aw crud. Bad prediction. Oh well, my Mamoswine is relaxed and it might actually live to do an Earthquake... time for a sacrifice!

Camerupt used Eruption!
It's super effective!
Mamoswine fainted!

5-6

Hmph. That was dumb. I should've remembered that Ice Shard would've done normal damage to Camerupt because it's part Ground-type. I thought Camerupt was Rock/Fire. Oh well. I should've remembered to use Ice Shard instead for any amount of damage. ARRRRRGH!

Snitch sent out Ambipom!

Mudkipz withdrew Camerupt and sent out Bronzong! (15% damaged)
Pointed stones dug into Bronzong! (~20% total)
Ambipom used Fake Out! (~25% total)
It's not very effective.

Ambipom's not staying in! No sir.

Ambipom used U-Turn! (40% total damage to Bronzong)
Snitch sent out... Starmie!
(Mudkipz's) Bronzong used Trick Room... =(

Oh well, might as well press for more damage... I don't think Bronzong will stay in...

(Mudkipz's) Bronzong left the battlefield!
Mudkipz sent out Snorlax!
Snorlax tripped on some stones... (~60% damaged)
Starmie used Surf! (~70% damaged)

Gosh, this sucks. It's time to sacrifice Ambipom to the Snorlax. This Trick Room business really bugs me, considering I only have 2 walls, 4 glass cannons... and of those walls, one needs a trip to a Pokemon Center, while the other is fast asleep.

Snitch withdrew Starmie and sent out Ambipom!
Snorlax says "hi" to Ambipom with a Fire Punch! (75% damage)

Ow. Oh well, Ambipom can at least do some damage before he goes down... and stall until Trick Room goes away again.

Ambipom used Fake Out! (Snorlax is now 85% damaged)
Snorlax flinched!

Snorlax used Fire Punch!
Ambipom fainted!

4-6

Phew. Ambipom is a hero. Otherwise more Pokemon on my team would've fallen. With no Trick Room, it's time to send out another sweeper!

Snitch sent out Infernape!

Now Infernape is faster than whatever they have. Faster, I say! Now, I've seen Bronzong and Slowking so far, and those two can reactivate Trick Room. Snorlax may stay in to be sacrificed, but I must think of what could be sent in next!

Here's what I can do for STAB...
1. Close Combat - Normal against Bronzong, resisted by Slowking
2. Flare Blitz - Super Effective against Bronzong, resisted by Slowking

Flare Blitz sounds like a good compromise... though Slowking is probably coming out... oh, wait, Slowking's damaged, right... it might fall to two Flares...

Mudkipz withdrew Snorlax and sent out Uxie!
Uxie became acquainted with some sharp rocks... (12.5%)
Infernape used Flare Blitz (50% total)
Infernape hurt itself in the confusion... I mean... with recoil (15%)
Uxie's leftovers restored its health! (45% total)

Wow, I didn't expect Snorlax to leave. Maybe the opponent thinks it could still be sent in during another Trick Room session...

Now Uxie is one tough cookie. Good thing I didn't use Close Combat otherwise the damage would be even less... continue the assault!

Infernape used Flare Blitz! (85% total damage)
Infernape hurt itself during the attack (30%)
Uxie used Trick Room!
Trick Room twisted the dimensions... OMG not again!
Uxie's leftovers restored its health! (80% total)

Well, let's see... I'm going to finish off Uxie now! It's probably not going to stay in and use Psychic. No siree.

Infernape used Flare Blitz... but wait!
Mudkipz has asked Crawdaunt to take the place of Uxie!
Crawdaunt tripped on some rocks, then took the Flare Blitz... (50% damage)
Infernape hurt itself during Flare Blitz (40% total)
It's not very effective!
Crawdaunt was burned!
Crawdaunt's burn wasn't that friendly to it... (~55% damage)

Just the hax I needed, but still Surf will probably spell the doom of my Infernape! I should probably say goodbye to my Bronzong... or maybe it will be strong enough to resist and wake up? With Trick Room, 'Zong has to be faster!

Snitch's Bronzong took Infernape's place! (Bronzong was already 25% hurt)
Crawdaunt used Surf! (60%)
Crawdaunt was hurt by its burn! (~60% damage)
Bronzong's leftovers were very tasty... (healed to 55%)

Come on, sleepy head. WAKE UP!

(Snitch's) Bronzong is fast asleep.
While it was asleep, Crawdaunt used Bronzong as a Surf board. (80%)
Crawdaunt was hurt by its burn! (~65% damage)
Bronzong's leftovers healed it a bit more... (75%)

Aw, come on.

(Snitch's) Bronzong is fast asleep.
Crawdaunt used Surf!
Bronzong sank to the bottom of the sea.
Crawdaunt was hurt by its burn! (~70% damage)

3-6

Well, Trick Room is gone, and it's time to send out another sweeper. Who will it be? The opponents seem to be sufficiently weak, it's time for the evil opportunist to come out. Besides, Gengar was already bored to death and was already threatening to hit me with a Shadow Ball if I didn't send him out. Oh well...

Snitch sent out Gengar.

Mudkipz's Crawdaunt left the battlefield and was replaced by Bronzong! (40%)
Bronzong waded through some pointy rocks. (~45%)
Gengar used Thunderbolt (~70%)
Gengar's evil Life Orb sapped its life force! (90%)

Ah, finally... Gengar has his way. Long story short...

Gengar used Shadow Ball on Bronzong.
Gengar used Shadow Ball on Uxie.
Gengar used Shadow Ball on Slowking.
Gengar used Shadow Ball on Camerupt.
Gengar used Sludge Bomb on Snorlax.
Gengar used Thunderbolt on Crawdaunt.

Gengar floats victorious above the battlefield, proud of his evil, mind-corrupting Life Orb.

3-0

Whew! Trick room really made me shiver through most of this match. I was surprised I actually won.

The Good
All my team members came out.
This battle proves Ambipom wasn't worthless! I just love Fake Out...
Opponent's Hypnosis missed, allowing me to set up Stealth Rock.
Gengar came through when it counted.

The Bad
Mamoswine was needlessly sacrificed and could've at least dealt some damage with Ice Shard.

The Ugly
I realized how much my team was weak to Trick Room. If that opportunity to sweep with Gengar never arose, I would've lost.

This is my second War Story. Thanks for reading. I hope it was interesting enough, even with not much added humor.

I would also like to congratulate my opponent and her team. It was difficult to play against, and it used a couple of not-so-standard guys. I wish I was so creative that my only non-standard guy isn't just Ambipom.

Okay, this is pretty bad warstory. You just switch and let three of your pokemon faint, then your Gengar owns him.

I think this shows how most teams have trouble taking down a trick room team. Nice battle and warstory. Wow...Sludge Bomb was actually useful.

Hmm, I fought the same exact team, minus Crawdaunt. I won 1-0 with my Swellow. Your match is not very close, therefore it's not very exciting.

Thanks for reading it. I'm glad you were able to stay through it.

The reason I "switch and let three of my Pokemon faint" was because I was waiting for Trick Room to go away. Otherwise if I didn't switch/sacrifice/Fake Out, my glass cannon sweepers would've needlessly got sacrificed.

In my opinion, I think it was close. A close match in my book could've gone either way until someone made a mistake (in this match, I think it's the opponent switching into Bronzong while Gengar was out, instead of sacrificing Crawdaunt) that allowed the opponent to set up or sweep.

Pretty good battle. The thing about Trick Room is most of the time you don't know if your opponent is going to use Trick Room. Thus deciding if you're going to use a slow or fast team.

Wow, that was some nice ownage from that Gengar, almost made the battle uninteresting. Ah well, good game, great Trainers.

Bah, not enough Ambipom action IMO.

Nice battle though. I like how you set your Gengar up for the sweep at the end, nice battle.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like this warstory a lot better than some of the ones that have been posted recently. This battle was a good choice to write about.

Yeah, trick room allows for things like Absol and Daunt to suddenly stand up to the plate, while crippling fast teams. For some reason, they are uncommon.

Trick room teams are boring, in my opinion, but good war story nonetheless.
Lol you wrote about out battle. I shouldn't have let snorlax die so easily, it was the only thing that had a chance of stoping gengar at the end. Or i could've sacrificed crawdaunt so bronzong woud survive and set up another trick room...Live and learn!

Quoted Maestro because i think he should actually play a trick room team, they are exciting to use. I say this because i played a game against someone today using the exact team you have in the RMT section and that was a boring battle, no surprise mix sweepers, walled surprisingly easily.

With trick room you can actually run true mixed sets, take something like camerupt, max both attacking stats and very little safely switches in.

Lol you wrote about out battle. I shouldn't have let snorlax die so easily, it was the only thing that had a chance of stoping gengar at the end. Or i could've sacrificed crawdaunt so bronzong woud survive and set up another trick room...Live and learn!

Quoted Maestro because i think he should actually play a trick room team, they are exciting to use. I say this because i played a game against someone today using the exact team you have in the RMT section and that was a boring battle, no surprise mix sweepers, walled surprisingly easily.

With trick room you can actually run true mixed sets, take something like camerupt, max both attacking stats and very little safely switches in.
Did he have GrowthTran? Was he a newbie? I can guarantee you, it would be a very close match between us. With me using the team that I posted, that is. Due to Electivire OHKOing 4-6 of your Pokemon.

I used your team, not my opponent. I liked your team till i used it.

EDIT: and i know i'm a bit Electivire weak, I got beat in the same way as this battle only with electivire instead of Gengar. I have ways to stop them, just I have to learn when to sacrifice better to make sure it doesn't end up like this, Bronzong (my main counter to Gengar) being too damaged to stop it.

Holy crap. That trick room guy was retarded. Why did he have Surf on Crawdaunt when it gets STAB on Crabhammer from much higher base attack?

Holy crap. That trick room guy was retarded. Why did he have Surf on Crawdaunt when it gets STAB on Crabhammer from much higher base attack?
HOLY CRAP! Mixed attacker, life orb + 90 base special attack means surf 2HKO's Skarmory.

Plus i was burned, crap hammer would do shit.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Have you considered the possibility that Crabhammer's 85% accuracy might have something to do with it?

It ended 3-0 with a sweep, but it was a much closer battle than that might imply. All he had was Gengar, a damaged Starmie, and a heavily damaged Infernape. The sweep could have gone either way, and had another trick room been set up the OP could have easily been swept.

Anyway, good battle, it's not shoddy and the teams are fairly interesting so it was a refreshing read.

Thanks everyone for reading and your comments.

Different people think differently about what is considered a close match, but I promise I'll only write a warstory about what I think is close.

Maybe someday I'll write about a match that I lost. But so far all my losses involve myself getting horribly outplayed. =D

BTW Good luck to all tourney participants!

@maslada: Well, you admitted it's our match. It was really great.

BTW I don't usually like to put Smogon/GameFAQs usernames of people because I think many players have yet bred enough Pokemon to make an alternate team if I write a warstory about their team. The opponent might get crippled in future battles. =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)