Ambipom

Honestly, you could get 1 chance to use U-turn. ONLY 1. The very first move of the game. After that it would be a usless move. Think. Is it worth using U-turn for a *possible* 1 use only? After the first turn, you would never switch in just to use U-turn, and with choice band, you wouldn't be able to use it after killing somthing. Just a thought.
Yeah you're right that it will be a wasted slot most of the time. My idea was to switch in Ambipom whenever another of my pokés gets KO'd, use U-turn to cause some damage and switch to my real counter for that opponent, who will hopefully be immune or take very slight damage from the predicted attack. The U-turn damage will probably not make that much of a difference so you're most likely right about it being a waste. Thanks for the help anyway.

Ambipom @ Leftovers
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Thunder Wave
-Nasty Plot

Is this a good Nasty Plot Passer? I was thinking to Thunder Wave, Nasty Plot, and then put up a sub. Maybe the sub wouldn't get raped as the enemy might be unable to move due to paralysis.

If this sucks, what is a better set for this thing? I'd really like to use it. Oh, and what EVs and Nature should it have?

Is this a good Nasty Plot Passer?
It very well could be, if you have the right moves. Though you might want to think about giving him a Salac berry instead of leftovers, so you could pass some speed too. Thunder Wave would work. For Ev's, you would want 252 Hp, and 252 Speed, 6 somthing. Trait would be Timid or Jolly(+Speed, -Attack/Special Attack)

Technician increases the power of weak attacks by 1.5x the base...

What exact BP applies to being considered 'weak'? I was thinking 60 or maybe 70...

Ambipom also looks like he's not nearly as bad as I thought he'd be. I'm using him for sure.

Ambipom @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk) or Adament (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Double Hit
- Shadow Claw / Pursuit
- U-Turn

Lead with this baby and Fake Out anything that isn't a Ghost type and then U-turn out of there and send in a counter. You can continue doing this for revenge kills after every pokemon of yours that is killed (unless your opponent is using a Ghost). If you opponent's HP is low enough, you can just finish off with Double Hit.

This set looks good on paper, but you really need prediction to use Shadow Claw on incoming Ghost types instead of Fake Out, and even then, Steel and Rock types will wall you every time unless you carry Brick Break too. If your Ambipom's aim it to KO weakened pokemon, it would be a good idea to carry pursuit instead.

I honestly think this thing could be an ass, but mainly if it is compounded with Spikes and/or Stealth Rock since Fake Out is going to force so many switches just so it can be blocked.

Ambipom was my first bred Pokemon in D/P. Here is what I am using:

Ambipom @ Focus Sash/Salac Berry
-Technichian
-Jolly
-IVs: 24/29/31/x/29/31
-EVs: 252 Speed, rest in Attack/HP(can't remember exactly how much)

Baton Pass
Nasty Plot
Substitute
Double Hit

The goal is to try and pass Nasty Plot or a Sub(or both, if possible) to a special attacker. Ambipom is fast, but is rather fragile, so the focus sash ensures you at least get the baton pass off(given its faster). If you have confidence that Ambipom can survive a hit, Salac Berry is the other item I have been using(helps if the pokemon attacking you is faster). Double Hit exists to break subs and then do some damage, as Ninjask hates that.

Sometime ago I found this move set in the wtc battle tower

Ambipon
@kings rock

-fake out
-fling
-thief
- filler

=P That's an interesting set. You can only be hurt the turn you Thief so it might work a while, a least until the opponent brings out a ghost, so the fourth move should probably be Shadow Claw. Rock or Steel is a problem though... What power does a Flinged King's Rock have anyway?

Um.. a quick question: Wouldn't Ambipom with Technician have a base powered 157.5 Double Hit? Everyone keeps saying 105, and it's confusing... Everyone seems to keep forgetting Double Hit also get's STAB...

People don't usually add the STAB power. The 105 is usually compared to Returns 102 which also doesn't have the STAB added. But you are correct, they both get stronger when taking STAB into account.

Why not use Swift? It gets the Tech boost and is boosted by Nasty Plot.

Because double hit owns tyraniboah lol. I suppose it could be a superior option, but I guess nasty plot is only for BPing. It could really go both ways. (don't make a bisexual joke out of that)

Alright, so... I've read this thread for about a week now, and I'm been trying to breed myself a good ol' Ambipom. Traded a aipom from E past lvl 32, made it relearn Double Hit, then bred with a smeargle (double hit, ariel ace, thunderbolt, and shadow claw sketched). So... here's the PLANNED moveset...

Ambipom @ Leftovers / Scope Lens / Chople Berry
Adamant / Technician
- Double Hit
- Ariel Ace
- Shadow Claw / Pursuit / Assurance
- U-turn

Now... I don't plan on him staying in for rock or steel types, so that's why U-turn is there instead of brick break. Ariel Ace is for the grass, bugs, and fighting. U-turn for annoying damage and switching to something useful (like for damned Infernape on Wifi). And I cant decide on that 3rd move, but I want/need something for ghosts. Any ideas for what I should put my EVs into? I would actually want to think about using him competively, so I'm guessing max attack, then spread out the rest except in Sp. Def?

Ambipom is one of my favorite Pokes this gen, which is saying something seeing as I hated Aipom. In messing around with it, I've found it to probably be the best damn lead in the game. These are some Calcs with a Choice Band, and Ambipom can do way more:

Ambipom
@Choice Band 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd Jolly
Fake Out
U-Turn
Brick Break
Shadow Claw

Common Leads:
Weavile- Ambipom does like ~68% to it with Fake Out
Salamence**- Ambipom can either do ~33% to it with Fake Out or U-Turn out
Staraptor**- Ambipom does like ~39% or can U-Turn out
Gyarados**- Takes over ~28% even with max HP from Fake Out and can be U-Turned
Gengar- Most are Choice Scarf, so I would switch out
Heracross- Takes over 50% from Fake Out
Medicham- Takes over 60% from Fake Out
Shaymin- U-Turn does a lot, depending on EVs
Mesprit- U-Turn will do a lot, Shadow Claw CH nearly OHKOs 252 HP/Def Mesprit
Metagross- Will U-Turn out
Slowbro- Will U-Turn out and finish it with Shadow Claw when weakened
Milotic- Will U-Turn out
Swampert- Will U-Turn out
Tyranitar- Brick Break OHKOs
Hippowdon- Will U-Turn out
Jolteon-Fake Out does over ~75%
Aerodactyl- Will switch out
Crobat- Will switch out
Sceptile- Fake Out does like ~68%
Ninjask- Fake Out LOL OHKOS
Zapdos- Fake Out does like ~40% on even defensive ones
Regice- After 2 Fake Outs Brick Break will KO Regice
Infernape- Hates Fake Outs, can U-Turn
Froslass- OHKOed by Shadow Claw, can U-Turn
Floatsel- Fake Out HURTS. Try over 70%.
Rampardos-OHKOed by Brick Break and will never outspeed Ambipom

*All Calculations are done with Choice Band
**With Intimidate

Ambipom beats or gets quick damage on 23/26 of all common leads. Freakin' sweet.

Alright, so... I've read this thread for about a week now, and I'm been trying to breed myself a good ol' Ambipom. Traded a aipom from E past lvl 32, made it relearn Double Hit, then bred with a smeargle (double hit, ariel ace, thunderbolt, and shadow claw sketched). So... here's the PLANNED moveset...

Ambipom @ Leftovers / Scope Lens / Chople Berry
Adamant / Technician
- Double Hit
- Ariel Ace
- Shadow Claw / Pursuit / Assurance
- U-turn

Now... I don't plan on him staying in for rock or steel types, so that's why U-turn is there instead of brick break. Ariel Ace is for the grass, bugs, and fighting. U-turn for annoying damage and switching to something useful (like for damned Infernape on Wifi). And I cant decide on that 3rd move, but I want/need something for ghosts. Any ideas for what I should put my EVs into? I would actually want to think about using him competively, so I'm guessing max attack, then spread out the rest except in Sp. Def?
I use an Ambipom as my lead. I can't stress enough how much of a head start STABed Technician Fake Out can give you. I'd run Fake Out as your third move. My Ambipom is Jolly and I put the most points into Speed, with the rest into Attack and HP. I use a Razor Fang as my Held item. It gives a good chance to flinch with Double Hit (2 hits = 2 flinch chances). Chople Berry and Scope Lens also seem like good choices, but Leftovers would be a waste. Ambipom's just not that durable. Anyhow, if you want to put EVs into HP, Defense, and Special Defense, try to arrange them so that Defense = Sp. Defense and HP = Defense + Sp. Defense. That will generally give you the best overall staying power.

Ambipom doesn't get Assurance, but it does get Payback. I guess a 75-power Dark move isn't the worst thing to have.

This sounds pretty cool. What Flinch rate does Razor Fang give before Double Attack, and is King's Rock the same?

How exactly does Fake Out work? Is it usable only as the first attack after you switch in?

I can't stress enough how much of a head start STABed Technician Fake Out can give you. I'd run Fake Out as your third move. My Ambipom is Jolly and I put the most points into Speed, with the rest into Attack and HP.
I'm very glad I posted my idea, and very glad you responded. Ok, so, I've used my resources found by lurking (Metalkid's dmg calc + Serebii's IV/Stat calc) to find out some damage and I now know that fake out + double hit + max atk and speed = sexyness. I'll prolly throw in the last avaliable 4 into HP. So... thanks to you, here's what I'm going with.

Ambipom @ Razor Fang / Chople Berry / Scope Lens
Jolly - 4HP/252Atk/252Speed
- Fake Out
- Double Hit
- Brick Break
- Payback / U-turn / Thunder Wave

Sound good by you (and anyone?)

This sounds pretty cool. What Flinch rate does Razor Fang give before Double Attack, and is King's Rock the same?

How exactly does Fake Out work? Is it usable only as the first attack after you switch in?
Fake Out works exactly like you say. You can only use it the first turn the Pokemon comes into play, and it's a 100% Flinch rate unless your opponent has Inner Focus. If you switch out and switch back in, you can use it again the first turn your pokemon is in play, but not after that.

Yay! I've always thought Ambipom makes a great lead. Fake Out and U-turn makes for a pretty awesome combo and Double Hit has interesting possibilities with Technician and the Razor Fang as has been mentioned. Go Ambipom!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)