An RU team

Hello! I'm new here, and this is my first post on Smogon (though I've been lurking on this site since April). This is the team I've been using on the RU tier in the Smogon Server (this team can't battle in PO's LU tier because PO considers Gallade UU, which is a shame because the Smogon Server is down a lot), and while I am somewhat pleased with it, I find it difficult to ladder with this team. I've found that my team doesn't like Pokemon that try to set up Substitutes on me (such as Moltres, SubCM Alakazam, and SubDD Crawdaunt), though that might just be because I'm not used to dealing with Substitutes. There might be some other threats to this team that I did not notice, but (especially if you've fought this team before, if not you can still help out) suggestions are greatly appreciated for this team.

Typhlosion (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Eruption
- Focus Blast
- Extrasensory
- Fire Blast
My Typhlosion used to run Choice Specs to deal massive amounts of damage with Eruption, but I found that Choice Specs Typhlosion was outspeed by certain threats, including (Timid) Galvantula. As a result, I changed this guy's item to Choice Scarf, which reduces raw power for the ability to outspeed almost anything. Anyway, this Typhlosion is a sort of a revenge killer that can still deal massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it with Eruption. However, Eruption's power decreases the lower Typhlosion's health is, so Blastoise usually spins hazards away (especially Stealth Rock) to maintain Typhlosion's offensive might. Focus Blast (or as us Smogonites like to call it, Focus Miss) is used to hit some things that resist Eruption hard, though unfortunately Focus Blast/Miss isn't exactly the most accurate move. I've never used Extrasensory, and I'm thinking of replacing it with Hidden Power (though I have no idea which type it should be). Fire Blast is used when Typhlosion is low on health as it deals more damage once Eruption is weakened.

Lilligant (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 20 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Petal Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
My Lilligant is my late game sweeper. She can put the opposing pokemon to sleep and then set up Quiver Dances in their face before attempting a sweep. Petal Dance deals massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it and Hidden Power Fire is used to deal damage to things that resist Petal Dance (except unfortunately, fire types.) The EV's are designed to maximize offensive power while giving enough speed to outspeed positive natured base 100's after a Quiver Dance. I used to have her hold a Life Orb, but I found that she often gets KO'd by the recoil damage and she tends to get statused a lot, so I exchanged it with a Lum Berry.

Aggron (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
Aggron used to run a lead set with Rock Polish in place of Dragon Tail, Mental Herb (it cures Taunt) in place of Leftovers, Sturdy instead of Rock Head, Stone Edge instead of Head Smash, and a different EV spread. When I used that set, I used to get up Stealth Rock almost all of the time early into the match. However, I changed his set to specially defensive because I found that Aggron went down too quickly. While I sometimes appreciate the extra (mostly special) bulk, I've noticed that I often end up setting Stealth Rock late in the match or even sometimes not at all. I might consider changing the set back to a lead, or to a Rock Polish or Choice Band set. Anyway, Stealth Rock sets up rocks (which can be helpful when sweeping with another pokemon), Dragon Tail is to phaze opposing pokes out, Head Smash is just a powered up version of Stone Edge, and Earthquake is used to hit stuff that resists Head Smash. Of course, he's holding leftovers, though I might replace that with something like an Air Balloon.

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Zen Headbutt
- X-Scissor
I used to run a Swords Dance and later a Choice Scarf set on this guy, but for some reason I found these sets ineffective, so I changed the set to Specially Defensive Bulk Up. While the lack of speed is an issue, I've found that the extra bulk and the recovery (in the form of Drain Punch) usually makes up for it. I usually send Gallade in on a special attack so it can take hits from its initially higher Special Defense. Leftovers is used to increase Gallade's longevity, and the EV spread is used to give Gallade time to set up Bulk Up. Drain Punch is the obligatory STAB Fighting move, and the recovery effect is very helpful (though sometimes I wish Drain Punch was as powerful as Close Combat, which I used to have on Gallade. A Drain Punch with 120 BP would be far too broken, though.) Bulk Up increases both his physical stats, which increases his offensive power and his physical bulk (his special bulk is already high enough, thanks). Zen Headbutt is the other obligatory STAB move, and though the accuracy is a bit of a letdown, it serves my needs and its flinch effect is cool. X-Scissor is Gallade's coverage move, but I might replace that (or Zen Headbutt) with Shadow Sneak to give Gallade priority or something.

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 4 SAtk / 56 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail
- Rapid Spin
Of course, Blastoise is my spinner. I frequently use him to spin hazards off the field as Typhlosion and Honchkrow are both weak to Stealth Rock. If you're wondering about the EV spread, it gives nearly equal physical and special defenses, though his special defense is one point higher to give opposing Porygon-Z an attack boost. Being the original bulky water, Blastoise can also take hits quite well, sometimes even some supereffective hits (but not too many, of course). Scald is to deal decent amounts of damage as well as burning things that get hit by it, which can screw over physical sweepers. Ice Beam provides an Ice-type attack for my team, and it's useful against stuff that resist Scald. Dragon Tail is the phazing move, and though its accuracy isn't perfect compared to Roar, it has the added side effect of dealing direct damage as well.

Honchkrow (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 128 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
Honchkrow is a stallbreaker of sorts, having access to Taunt which screws up walls that are slower than Honchkrow. Honchkrow is EV'd to maximize Attack while packing enough speed to outspeed most walls, especially Cresselia (provided the Cresseila doesn't invest in speed), as well is being bulky enough to take maybe a hit or two. Sucker Punch is Honchkrow's Dark-type STAB and is the only priority move on the team, and is usually the only way Honchkrow is able to pull off a sweep. Brave Bird is Honchkrow's Flying-type Stab and deals massive damage to things that don't resist it, but the recoil effect is less than desirable. Superpower gives Honchkrow the ability to hit Steel-types supereffectively and is also very powerful as well, but I don't like the Attack drop. I'm thinking of replacing either Superpower or Taunt with Pursuit, which allows me to hit psychics and ghosts that are switching out.

I only have time for a short rate, but anyways...

Typhlosion desperately needs Hidden Power Grass to destroy Rhyperior and friends, as Focus Blast will usually not OHKO. It also helps to hit bulky waters though they might not be 2HKOed. I find it strange that you are running Dragon Tail on 2 Pokemon when you only have one hazard. To remedy this, I would suggest replacing Lilligant with Ferroseed to lay Spikes. Ferroseed can also support the team with Leech Seed and Paralysis, especially Gallade as it is pretty slow without Paralysis support. IMO Lilligant doesn´t really fit well on your team. Taunt on Honchcrow is somewhat pointless as it is slow and you already have Insomnia. I would replace it with Pursuit to trap fleeing ghosts, keep Superpower for Steel-types. I know what you said about Dragon Tail on Blastoise and Aggron, but I would switch one of them to Roar as Substitutes block Dragon Tail, and some set up sweepers can destroy your team this way. Also, if you are running a bulky Aggron set, change the ability to Sturdy, and replace Head Smash with Stone Edge or something else. Anyways, sorry I couldn´t give a longer rate, but I hope this helps.

Thanks for the help, chanazn! However, I'm gonna have to replace Blastoise soon now that the usage stats are out, and I might have to tear this team apart and build another one once the ladder updates.

Hi Some Person, I just have some minor suggestions for your team!

Typhlosion is a great Scarf user, however I think it would benefit from a Modest nature. Most set up sweepers in the tier do not use max speed (Venomoth, Lilligant, Sharpedo, Yanmega) so a Timid nature is not needed on Typhlosion to revenge them. Extrasensory is not needed and should be replaced with a Hidden Power, possibly [Grass] as Chanazn mentioned, or [Rock] which lets it lure out Moltres and destroy it (this could be useful because Moltres walls Lilligant). Toxic is also a good option to hit common walls that want to wall Typhlosion. I would probably go with Toxic because no Steel type is going to come in to Typhlosion so he makes a good user of it.

Lilligant's set looks great and Lum Berry is probably the best item for it. However I'm not sure what is going on with your EV spread, maybe this is the one you were going for: 240 HP/252 SpAtk/16 Spe outspeeds Base 120s such as Alakazam at +1 while maximising bulk.

SpDef Aggron is a surprise and works quite well with his many resistances. I would replace Earthquake with Aqua Tail because Head Smash is so powerful that you only really need to hit stuff that resists it. Neutral coverage from Earthquake also isn't very helpful when Aggron has no attack investment. There are few Steel types in the tier so it's better to go for the super effective coverage of Aqua Tail. I would choose Roar over Dragon Tail for its ability to phaze Substitute users as well as its reliability. No one is going to be Taunting an Aggron lol.

Gallade is incredibly powerful and really overlooked imo. I would personally choose Psycho Cut over Zen Headbutt because it is both more reliable and it has a chance of getting past walls with its critical hit chance. I would also definitely replace X-Scissor. It's mainly hitting Cresselia and bulky Psychic types such as Uxie and Taunt is a much better way to beat them than X-Scissor. Taunt would also allow you to win against other physical walls such as Tangela and stops you getting phazed or statused. Substitute is also an option and so is Thunder Wave, they are all better than X-Scissor imo. Shadow Sneak is also useful for finishing off weakened Pokemon easier, although it lacks power.

Blastoise is probably the best spinner in the tier and will be missed when it goes. Again I would choose Roar over Dragon Tail for reliability. How much damage is Blastoise doing with Dragon Tail? Probably not a lot... I see you've balanced Blastoise's defences with the EVs but that is probably not that useful. I think defensive Blastoise is probably the best spread because Blastoise will often be coming in to Stealth Rock setters and Entei, most of which are physical.

Honchkrow is immensely powerful but I would recommend Moxie instead of Insomnia. You lose Superpower leaving you walled by Aggron but Blastoise should be able to handle it as well as Gallade. Moxie is an incredible ability allowing Honchkrow to come in late-game and be untouchable with Sucker Punch. Roost should be used instead of Superpower for longevity and Taunt is essential to stop status and to ease Sucker Punch prediction.

It's a great team Some Person and I hope you have fun with it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)