An Underused team

Introduction

This is my first underused team, and it could use a bit of help. It is a defensive team, and it focuses on utilizing toxic stall and entry hazards. It aims to weaken the opponent's pokemon, opening an opportunity for Porygon2 to sweep.

At a Glance

The Team

Mew

Item: Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Softboiled
- U-turn

Mew is usually my lead, and it sets up my stealth rocks. Maximum speed investment is for out-speeding other leads and taunting, while setting up my rocks on the switch. If the opponent sends out something threatening, then I u-turn out of there. This set is like the old 4th gen lead set, with softboiled over explosion due to the nerf.

Xatu

Item: Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Roost
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Xatu is a great addition to my team, mainly because of the ability magic bounce. She sets up my screens and roosts off any damage without getting taunted, and u-turns out to another pokemon. I have a taunt user, a spinner, and a Xatu because sometimes mew is out-sped, the opponent has a spin-blocker, or Xatu is taken down before they lay entry hazards down.

Umbreon

Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Umbreon is my cleric and wall. He provides wish and heal bell support for the team, and can also toxic stall if I cannot get a safe switch into another pokemon. Payback is not on this set, because it is generally never used by me, because Umbreon has a low attack stat with no investment, and even though i will be moving last most of the time, the damage isn't great, and protect can let me take my own wishes and also toxic stall, having more use than payback.

Hitmontop

Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch

Hitmontop is my spinner, and he also gives my team a form of priority. I usually switch him in on a physical attacker for intimidate, and use rapid spin on the switch. Close combat is a powerful stab attack that puts a dent on pokemon that don't resist it, and sucker punch can stop boosted sweepers at low health.

Porygon2

Item: Eviolite
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Porygon2 is one of the best members of my team, with eviolite turning into a very bulky sweeper. I switch him in on physically defensive pokemon for the download boost, and sweep while taking very little damage from non-fighting move attacks. However, the lack of leftovers can hurt when i am poisoned or burned, which is easy to accomplish considering Porygon2's low speed.

Nidoqueen

Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Roar

Nidoqueen is an important member of the team, mainly for toxic spikes. I use Nidoqueen over Nidoking because she is generally more defensive, and is a more reliable toxic spikes user. The attacking moves are there for taking advantage of her great new ability, and roar is used over dragon tail for the ability to break subs.​

^ You should remember that this is Smogon Forum and we use the Smogon Tiers, anyway. I will rate it :P

1. Mew should be Jolly, the only attacking move you have is U-Turn, which is Physical.
2. 3 of your pokemon have no attacks that actually do consistent damage, therefore I believe this team is more defensively based. The 3 mons are: Umbreon (which is TOTALLY FINE), Xatu (screen does not fit well the team), and Mew which should really be using an attacking move. This shows that setting up on your team is rather easy, even though you have a fast taunting Mew. To fix this I would replace Mew with Crobat and Xatu with Rhyperior. You have no need for Magic Bounce, you got that Rapid Spin and a T-Spike absorber.

Crobat @ Leftovers
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang / U-Turn
- Taunt
- Roost

Leftovers recovery is useful to slowly recover and function as a decent physical attack absorber. The EV spread allows you to survive something I guarantee, I just can’t remember what, I run this set a lot. Super Fang is a great move that does not have recoil, opposed to Brave Bird. It easily allows you to put you in the power position against bulky waters or even Bronzong. Taunt is a must, it will do exactly what Mew did with more offensive presence and if you are so fond of U-Turn, you can still use it instead of Super Fang. Roost is what allows you to recover and survive hits like Tbolts and Stone Edges eventually.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn
- Stealth Rock

Provides you an electric immunity and a bunch of resistances. Also Rock Blast owns Substitute users such as Honchkrow and Sableye. Megahorn is there to hit Flygon, Slowbro and Bronzong hard. As long as you force switches you WILL lay your rocks, the easiest way to do it is come in a physical attacker with no water or grass moves.

3. Umbreon is spectacular providing excellent support for your team. But you kind of do not need Tri-Attack on P2 since the BoltBeam coverage already kicks ass with Download. Toxic might serve better purpose now you would have 3 pokemon with Toxic to spread it around and this opens a new slot in Nidoqueen, which now can be a Nidoking. The sets found in Smogon are great, many of them would fit great purposes, specific though. Search a bit more to find out.

Good Luck, pretty solid team.

PS: If you would not make change 3 there is no problem it is fine the way it is, it just “refines” the team into a more offensive playstyle. But if you decide to not alter what I said on 3, change P2’s ability to Trace.

@Doom Dawg

Yeah I use smogon, that's why I'm using their forums. I just play on PO, I don't use their website that much, just for the tiers, and since I'm playing in PO, I might as well use their tiers. I use smogon for the sets.

I agree, the screens did not fit the team, I needed some fillers and chose those, and yes I think that Xatu is replaceable.
I guess I do need Nidoking's extra firepower, so I will be using that. As I said earlier, use the smogon sets, and the first one for P2 is the one I'm using, the one you're referring to is the second one, I have tried that, and I like the first set better. I will take all of your advice, and will definitely be replacing those pokemon and adding Crobat and Rhyperior. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)