Analysis of IV Distribution of resetted legendarys in Emerald

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they are all from emerald this topic should give you the answer. To summarize no it's not coincidence and you probably all reseted until you got the only decent Rayquaza distribution in that range

I know mine is from Emerald, but am not sure about the others. I'd like to also prove this hypothesis in another manner: I caught a shiny Kyogre last night, and its IVs seem to be similar to someone elses that I read some time ago.

Kyogre - #382 (Calm)
HP: 13
Att: 3
Def: 27
SpA: 7
SpD: 23
Speed: 31
Hidden Power Type is 'Dark'. Hidden Power Power is 69.

I've a hunch all the shiny legends from Emerald share the same range as well. Although, I'd have to go make a topic somewhere requesting people to post the IVs of their shiny Kyogres, and that might be a little silly.

I don't really understand this, could you explain it more in laymen's terms? :toast: All I got was that if you wait a little more every reset, you'll get a better iv pokemon, unless that was it.

If this is true then I could have an even better Groudon/Kyogre/Registeel.

Does this mean that you are actually restricted to a specific range of IV distributions in emerald based on your nickname, so that only certain nicknames can produce certain iv spreads? Or does waiting a little while before an encounter make all possible iv spreads available to all nicknames?

I would say good job, as it is obvious you put a lot of research and work into this thread, except I have no idea what this means. Please rewrite in layman english, or at least add a section at the end that explains in layman english, and how to use this information(also in layman).

For example: what does seeding mean?

Also, if this is not of any use to the non layman -I wouldnt be able to use it unless I already understood what your talking about - then post that as a disclaimer.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would say good job, as it is obvious you put a lot of research and work into this thread, except I have no idea what this means. Please rewrite in layman english, or at least add a section at the end that explains in layman english, and how to use this information(also in layman).

For example: what does seeding mean?

Also, if this is not of any use to the non layman -I wouldnt be able to use it unless I already understood what your talking about - then post that as a disclaimer.
Computer random number generators (RNG) can't actually produce random numbers, but they take one number and generate several other numbers from that. The number used to generate these other numbers is called a "seed". Basically, seeding is the act of choosing a number to use as the seed for an RNG.

Typically the seed for a RNG is a constantly changing number, like the system clock of a computer. And although it is constantly changing in Emerald, it always starts out the same way when you restart the game.

So someone who is trying to reset for a good legendary as fast as they can by hitting the A button within 1-2 seconds of the game starting from the last save will oftentimes find themselves facing a Pokemon with the same IVs over and over again, because the RNG hasn't been much time to change the seed value. Hence, it's a good idea to wait some time before entering a battle with the Pokemon to get a wider variety of sets of IV values.

And yes, this stuff can be perfectly understandable to a layman, but the layman will have to put forth at least some effort. Just do a little research, it's not that hard.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't really understand this, could you explain it more in laymen's terms? :toast: All I got was that if you wait a little more every reset, you'll get a better iv pokemon, unless that was it.
If you don't "get" this topic, don't try. There's nothing valuable to you here - no way to get specific IVs or anything. Just go on about your business.

So someone who is trying to reset for a good legendary as fast as they can by hitting the A button within 1-2 seconds of the game starting from the last save will oftentimes find themselves facing a Pokemon with the same IVs over and over again, because the RNG hasn't been much time to change the seed value. Hence, it's a good idea to wait some time before entering a battle with the Pokemon to get a wider variety of sets of IV values.
Ah okay, this is a much better conclusion/summary of this thread than the original one. I think the key phrase was "variety of iv spreads" whereas the other one was confusing as it talked about evolving ivs and intervals and did not use the word variety.

I think the thread starter should replace their concluding paragraph with the one provided by OmegaDonut, because a lot of people will skip over your exhaustive but neccessary research and skip straight to the point, so it should be clear. Anyway good job and thank you for your contribution.

I'd like to throw an additional monkey wrench into the works.

I just caught a shiny Groudon this morning (Yeah, 2 days after I caught my shiny Kyogre) and it had the exact same IVs and natures as my shiny Kyogre.

This leads me to believe that the Shiny distribution may also have an effect on the stats of stationary legends.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd like to throw an additional monkey wrench into the works.

I just caught a shiny Groudon this morning (Yeah, 2 days after I caught my shiny Kyogre) and it had the exact same IVs and natures as my shiny Kyogre.

This leads me to believe that the Shiny distribution may also have an effect on the stats of stationary legends.
The reason for this happening should also be the random number generator.

I don't know what the odds of getting a shiny are, but let's say they're 1 in 8192. The random number generator gives us a number between 0 and 65535. Say the game checks whether that number is less than 8 for the shiny chance. (8/65536 = 1/8192). If yes, then the Pokemon is shiny.

But that would mean that there would be only 8 different IV distributions for ALL shiny Pokemon. This is what I believe happened to you. I don't know if this theory is correct, but it seems feasible to me.

As an aside, can you tell us the IVs of your Shiny Groudon and Shiny Kyogre, so that we can investigate this further?

Yes and I hope anyone who understood my whole post should have an idea why. There probably is just one shiny in a reasonable time frame so you will have that one twice.

X-act said:
As an aside, can you tell us the IVs of your Shiny Groudon and Shiny Kyogre, so that we can investigate this further?
Meultima said:
Son of a gun... My Groudon is Shiny. And it has the same stats and nature as my shiny Kyogre.

Groudon - #383 (Calm)
HP: 13
Att: 3
Def: 27
SpA: 7
SpD: 23
Speed: 31
Hidden Power Type is 'Dark'. Hidden Power Power is 69.

Which means, horrible nature. Well, I guess I can trade it for something on the Wi-Fi board...
Voila =]

Shiny Beldum obtained a couple hours later, and... You guessed it, Calm, same IVs.

I'd try on the Regis but I caught them and transfered them right before I started catching the rest of my Emerald legends.

The reason for this happening should also be the random number generator.

I don't know what the odds of getting a shiny are, but let's say they're 1 in 8192. The random number generator gives us a number between 0 and 65535. Say the game checks whether that number is less than 8 for the shiny chance. (8/65536 = 1/8192). If yes, then the Pokemon is shiny.

But that would mean that there would be only 8 different IV distributions for ALL shiny Pokemon. This is what I believe happened to you. I don't know if this theory is correct, but it seems feasible to me.

Shininess is calculated out of the Personality Value (also controls Nature, gender, and some other stuff) but also your Trainer IDs. Bitwise XOR the upper and lower 16 bits of the PV, XOR that with your trainer ID, then again with your hidden ID. If the result is less than 8, you have a shiny. Note the presence of the trainer ID in that formula. Basically, you can expect to see shinies with the same IVs over and over for a certain savefile, but they'll be different for others. If this 800-950 Pokerand range happens to not generate any shinies for your particular trainer IDs, sorry but no shinies for you, at least not via soft resetting.

Also, since the Pokerand function has a period of 4294967296, we can expect that there's going to be around 524288 different possible shinies that can be generated on any one game. (Note the "around" part. The actual number could be a little higher or a little lower, depending on your trainer ID. Or at least this is a possibility. Could someone please figure out if Pokerand(x) XOR Pokerand(x+1) has a uniform distribution? Thanks.)

So basically, if you're finding shinies at all on your Emerald, you should be able to keep finding them shockingly easily, but they'll all (unless you leave your game on for a minute or so) have the exact same Nature and IVs.

Meultima, I strongly recommend for you to soft reset for a shiny Regice. ;)

Edit: Almost forgot:
To your questions:
1. Yes, of course
2. actually restarting emerald sets the rnd back to the same state all the time. the only way to get other seeds is a) to wait a long time b) when starting new games to use different nicknames
3. to be honest other games are not that different but it does not matter because most are not really based on high level randomness.
your suggestions
1. d/p does
2. this is what linux does (?) however it's not really usable for games because saving takes a lot of time on eeproms/flash any you normally dont "shut down" your gba. the seeding in rsfl is compareable but with some severe limitations
3. how do you do soft resets on a gba? (unless it's programmed in some game menu)

-if you collect data it would be a good idea to use some savedump method since that's fast and you get all the shiny/gernder/nature data.
Soft resetting is done by pressing A+B+Start+Select. It's totally a software process. Most games just do a full reset, but some do other things. I'm sure they could have, if they wanted to, carried over a few bytes of data to seed the RNG differently after the soft reset.

Also, I don't have the apparatus to dump my save files. I'd consider using an emulator, but I don't want to be bothered to play through the game.

I'm left baffled. Why did they downgrade the RNG in Emerald version? Was it sloppy pre-D/P programming where they thought they were going to seed from the clock but never got around to it?

Actually restarting emerald sets the rnd back to the same state all the time. the only way to get other seeds is a) to wait a long time b) when starting new games to use different nicknames
Would this mean that two Emeralds with the same trainer name would generate similar shinies?

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No. The shininess depends on the Trainer ID and the secret ID of the trainer, not on the trainer name. These two are generated at random at around the time when the game asks you for the gender of your character.

One small correction:

in the article i assumed that in rs the effect would also apply. this is not the case. I made a mistake when researching the rs seeding turns out that it does use a kind of real time to seed. in rs this only occurs if your battery has run dry and ONLY in that case. also in rs you CAN calculate your secret id if you know the clock time (tested and confirmed) the hard part is to know the rtc data. I wanted to write an article about that but in the end there is some serious trouble calculating the dates that you can not view ingame let alone set (mind you it is possible but stuff like daylight saving time and the fact that i don't know how exact that clock is is giving me a headache)

I didn't read all the replies in this thread, but...

Since the internal battery on my Sapphire has run dry to stop the clock, does that affect this whole cloned IV's thing? Am I doomed to the same fate as these unlucky goers?

I need an answer here, since i'm currently busy SRing for Kyogre.

X-Act

I didn't read all the replies in this thread, but...

Since the internal battery on my Sapphire has run dry to stop the clock, does that affect this whole cloned IV's thing? Am I doomed to the same fate as these unlucky goers?

I need an answer here, since i'm currently busy SRing for Kyogre.
The whole cloned IV's thing only works for Emerald. For Emerald, the IVs of your caught Pokemon depend largely on how long you've taken to catch it before you have SRed.

This isn't true for Sapphire. You should get different IVs even if you take around the same time between SRing and catching the Pokemon.

Computer random number generators (RNG) can't actually produce random numbers, but they take one number and generate several other numbers from that. The number used to generate these other numbers is called a "seed". Basically, seeding is the act of choosing a number to use as the seed for an RNG.

Typically the seed for a RNG is a constantly changing number, like the system clock of a computer. And although it is constantly changing in Emerald, it always starts out the same way when you restart the game.

And yes, this stuff can be perfectly understandable to a layman, but the layman will have to put forth at least some effort. Just do a little research, it's not that hard.
It's people like you that make my time alot easier ;D

With regards to the random number generator, seed value, and breeding:

I realize that the seed value will influence the possible "random" IVs, but does it affect which IVs are inherited? In other words, if I keep using the same seed value when hatching + resetting (for purposes of getting desired IVs with a "locked in" nature), will the same IVs be passed most of the time?

X-Act

With regards to the random number generator, seed value, and breeding:

I realize that the seed value will influence the possible "random" IVs, but does it affect which IVs are inherited? In other words, if I keep using the same seed value when hatching + resetting (for purposes of getting desired IVs with a "locked in" nature), will the same IVs be passed most of the time?
If you keep using the same seed value when hatching + resetting, then yes, the same IVs will be passed most of the time. Every random event in Pokemon invokes the same RNG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)