XY OU Analysis Work !

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, I got your request!

So the problem with this team is that it really struggles against fast threats like Mega Aerodactyl and Hawlucha and is weak to Stealth Rock as well. To fix this, Mew would be an excellent support Pokemon. Mew can take both of the aformentioned Pokemon on just fine and is capable of spreading paralysis, something that your team really likes. Furthermore, Mew can use Defog and rid your field of Stealth Rock. Here is the proposed set:

Mew @ Leftovers | Synchronize
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe | Bold
Defog | Roost | Thunder Wave | Psyshock

Mew should be replacing Raikou, because this gen, SubCM Raikou finds very few opportunities to set up unfortunately.

Now because you have Defog, a suicide lead isn't very ideal, so I suggest Nidoqueen > Aerodactyl. While Nidoqueen loses out on guaranteed SR, it is bulky enough to almost always get them up, and also has an excellent offensive presence that suits your team very well. Here is the set:

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe | Modest
Stealth Rock | Earth Power | Sludge Wave | Ice Beam

The Speed EVs are enough to outspeed 252 Crawdaunt btw.

In this defensive metagame, Swords Dance Heracross makes for an excellent wallbreaker that can get past Reuniclus, which is currently one of the best Pokemon in UU. MoxieCross is unfortunately too weak without a boost, and you already have a Scarfer in Chandelure, so you're not missing out on much. Furthermore, Heracross gives you a status absorber as well, which is always nice to have. Here is the set:

Heracross @ Flame Orb / Toxic Orb / Leftovers (you can choose which one you want) | Guts
112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 | Adamant
Swords Dance | Close Combat | Megahorn | Stone Edge

The Speed EVs are enough to outspeed 252 Honchkrow as well as all defensive pixies (Jirachi, Celebi, and Mew).

A Choice Scarf Pokemon should always have 252+ EVs and nature in order to be as fast as possible, so I would recommend making Chandelure's EV spread 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid nature. Also, I would much rather have Infiltrator as the ability to be able to beat out Substitute users such as SubSD Heracross and even Substitute Zygarde granted it's weakened enough, and Snorlax and Porygon2 are nowhere near as common as they once were, so Flame Body is pretty much useless.

The last change I wanna make is Kingdra's set. You yourself said that Kingdra can offer much more to your team, and I couldn't agree more. Thanks to the new mechanics Focus Energy + Scope Lens gives you a 100% crit chance, and thanks to Kingdra's Sniper ability and STAB Draco Meteor (crits bypass its -2 SpA drop!), it is one of the best abusers of it. This set is a much better wallbreaker than Rain Dance imo, and it also doesn't weaken Chandelure's main STAB. Here it is:

Kingdra @ Scope Lens | Sniper
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Focus Energy | Draco Meteor | Hydro Pump | Surf

I'm sorry if this rate was a bit on the long side, but it is what I think to be the best for your team. Hope I helped and good luck with your team Rob. ^.^

Rob., you present your team as a "Underused Hyper Offense" team. Rohail's suggestions, while not bad by themselves, have the effect of turning this team into something that it doesn't want to be (assuming the OP knows what HO means and used the term correctly). Defog Mew and Nidoqueen have no place in a HO team.
In fact, Defog itself has no place in a HO team, because a HO team typically involves little or no switching at all. Defog only hurts hyper offense, because 1) it gets rid of your own Stealth Rock; 2) it makes you lose a turn.

So, assuming this team really wants to be a HO team and the title isn't just a misnomer, I think the main flaws are, in order of importance:
1) Choice Scarfs (in fact, Choice items in general) are not good items to have in HO. Locking yourself in a move means that you can be forced to switch out, which is something a HO team can't afford. HO usually revolves around fast powerful sweeper with Life Orb and a boosting move. For similar reasons, Draco Meteor is not a good choice unless you use the Kingdra set Rohail suggested you.
2) HO teams typically use exclusively physical or special sweepers, because their objective is to take down the opponent's physical/special walls and then sweep the rest of their team.
3) Raikou doesn't really fit in a HO team.

Again, this is supposing you really want to play HO. If that was just a misnomer, then yes, you could use ways to handle entry hazards.

Last edited:
Loudo I understand that Rohails suggested pokemon would slow the offense and change the teams strategy. But I welcomed any and all suggestions and now through his critique I have the possibility of creating another team using another plan of attack.

Lol thanks for clarifying the hyper offensive term though, this was the most offensive team I've created so I used the word loosely. Do you have any suggested replacements for Raikou or different sets for the choiced Pokemon I can use?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)