NOC Anonymous No Contact Mafia - Game Over (Village Wins)

POSTGAME

TLDR MAFIA IDLED SO THEY NEVER HAD A CHANCE EVEN IF IT WOULDN'T BE EASY FOR THEM

Playerlist, Mafia role PMs, and night actions:

Chell - Ullar - Mafia Hooker - Hooked Link and Snoopy, Hooked Charlie Chaplin and Chernabog, Kill Jason Voorhees
UncleSam - Samus - Village - Inspect Cheranbog no prot, inspect Charlie Chaplin no prot
Celever - Chrono - Village - Announce, INspect Snoopy and no prot
DLE - Link - Village - Tracked Pyro, rogued Pkmn Trainer Red, Inspect Maggie Simpson no prot
aska - Maggie Simpson - Mafia Godfather - idle, Pay off Link
Jumpluff - Charlie Chaplin - Village - Inspect Link and no prot, Inspect Snoopy and no prot
internet - Gordon Freeman - Village - Inspect Link and no prot, inspect Chell and no prot
billymills - Chernabog - Inspect The Pyro and no action, no action night 2
Cancerous - Announce, Detective Chell - Track Maggie Simpson, psych Samus
Flyhn - Jason Voorhees - Inspect Chrono and no prot - Inspect Charlie Chaplin and No prot
Yeti - The Pyro - Mafia ninja - Kill Pkmn Trainer Red and inspect Charlie Chaplin - Lynched Day 2
Shade - Snoopy - Psych and rogue the pyro - Psychaiatrist and Rogue Chell
rssp1 - Pkmn Trainer Red - Safeguard Chell, Announce - Died Night 1

Mafia Role PMs

Dear Maggie Simpson,

You are Don Mafioso, the Godfather

Using your connections to the police, you appear as a member of the Village when inspected with any investigative role. However, if you choose to take the factional kill into your own hands, you forfeit your protection from inspection that night and your mafia influence allows you to pierce any protective roles surrounding your target.

Additionally you may reply to this conversation with NX - PAY OFF USER. User will be less motivated, and next night only he will find him/herself starting with 4 points instead of 5.

Dear The Pyro,

You are Ryu Mafiabusa, the Ninja

As a master of stealth, you are immune to Tracking and Watching effects, and each night you may PM the host in this conversation with a list of false trails that you wish to set with NX - TARGET USER for each. You will appear to have targeted those users for the purposes of Tracking and Watching.

Each night you may instead do a thorough investigation of one USER. If you PM the host NX - INVESTIGATE USER, you will learn the roles they chose that night and who they targeted. You will still be immune to Tracking and Watching, but you will not be able to leave false trails.

Dear Chell,

You are Mafia Valentine, the Hooker

Every night, you may reply to this conversation with NX - HOOK USER1 and USER2. Both users listed will be unable to do anything that night.

You may instead decide to be more subtle, and reply with NX - DECEIVE USER. If you do, you'll manipulate them into believing they were successful, when they actually weren't. You will determine beforehand what results inspection and tracking/watching roles would give, without knowing what roles they used or who was targeted. The USER will receive the fake results, but not actually do anything.

Finally, once a game you may instead decide to break out the drugs, commit identity theft, and reply with NX - DRUG USER. USER will not only be too busy having sex to do anything that night, they will also be out cold after the fact while you take their wallet. Using the wallet you can buy and use night actions as a vanilla townie might, perform the factional kill, and attribute it all to the name of your target. When USER wakes up, however, he/she will know for sure that you are the Mafia Hooker, and that he/she was unable to do anything that night.

OVERVIEW, GOALS, AND DESIGN

So this game I wanted to experiment with what it would be like to give the village a lot of power but not give them the ability to communicate results easily. I left the capabilities of the mafia unknown, and I simultaneously assumed throughout this whole game that the village would be more cautious of deception and busing, and that the mafia would be smarter about pretending to be members of the village. Yeah I should have built in more of a deterrent for the inspection to make people have to coordinate it (and I really considered not guaranteeing the sanity of the results if more than half the village picked inspect no protection), and I DEFINITELY should have made it an alliance check, but I also believed a lot of people would want to take it and that there were a lot of scenarios where the mafia could abuse exactly that tendency. Any jackoff can vote someone 5 times and fake inspection results.

Some options that I found would be cool from an individual standpoint for night actions:
-Inspect
-Track/Watch + Dectective/Psych for a wider, less accurate net that tells you what other townies are doing
-N1 Psych + Martyr+Rogue. This is a complete detective + Psych combo night 1 which is pretty sick but no one did this. There are problems with any martyr action if everyone decides to do it though.
-BGs + Rouges. I mean, it wasn't actually a bad idea to rand BGs just like randing inspections, stalling the kills, but it would be difficult to pull off without coordination. This was one of the only ways I saw the village surviving endgame against the Godfather.

Really though I expected the hooker to pop at least one use of Deceive early to set up a villager getting fake mafia inspection results on another villager, which would make the others call a lot of their results into question, while meanwhile more people keep dying in the night and announcements to coordinate get further delayed. I also expected the mafia not to idle their way out of the entire fucking game. The Mafia needed to make an active effort to read the playing field just like the villagers and come up with specific lies for what they did. They had no private chat, but they had tweets that they could use to send massages to each other and they never used a single one. This was clearly possible by the way some of the villagers were able to scumhunt. I'm a believer now, people. I believe in the power of vote analysis.

If I were to do this game again, I'd make an irc bot of it. This is clearly better as a fast paced heat rather than a multiple week slog considering how little you can communicate.

THE VILLAGE

rssp1 - Pkmn Trainer Red - Died Night 1

Sorry you got killed early again, the mafia thought you were too active and good (and that you were Sam) so you got the axe here. Before dying he actually prevented an inspection role on a mafia with his safeguard and he was admittedly way off with his reads, but I think he would have come around as the game went on and he got more results.

Flyhn - Jason Voorhees - Died Night 2

Put in work, inspected some people, was a good townie. Not really sure why he got killed except as a rand/low info target but as Flyhn put it he performed well when he didn't have to worry about how he presented things.

Samus - UncleSam

Sam inspected mills, the only other person going for a no lynch and got a town read on the person who inspected Yeti. This was going to be difficult to deal with in the future no matter what especially since Sam did a great job laying low

Chernabog - Billymills

360 no scoped Yeti out of the Day 1 behavior and gave up his next night action to do so. What a God.

Cancerous - Edward Scissorhands

Made a point of not voting day 1, and made the only successful tweet all game. To open it you had to download the file and open it in notepad. It contained a message saying he had psyched someone and would detective them the next day, and a couple bits of code for telling him someone is scum or town. I think it would have been more useful to use code for more specific things like tracking or watching, but it was a good effort. Too bad I don't think anyone figured out the message

DLE - Link

360 no scoped Maggie Simpson who probably would have been an idler as town anyway lol. He actually got hooked by Maggie's own Pay Off ability but would have backed off if he got the inno from the Godfather, tough break Mafia. He got hooked all game because he was an active presence, haters gonna hate. He also tracked Yeti and got hooked when Yeti was immune to tracking and so this was a recurring theme.

Charlie Chaplin - Twin/Subbed for Jumpluff

Twin made one post and left, Jumpluff was active and cleared Link and Snoopy which was important support. They would have been good support if things ever went south in the future

Chrono - Celever

Chrono was the first to suspect Chell but he idled his night 1 action. Would have run into a safeguard anyway if he did try, but I was looking forward to seeing him push and come forward

Gordon Freeman - internet

Laid low and did his fucking job. He 360 no scoped Chell out on round 2, then made the smart decision to lay low and eternally hook him while the rest of the village did work. There was no coming back from this.

Shade - Snoopy

Got suspicious of the Pyro's initial vote and drew a hook for it, good job shade. Psyched and Rogued Chell out of nowhere too. It's at this point where I become astonished with the village's seemingly inherent ability to communicate, with enough people inspecting the suspects and inspectors at a pretty optimal distribution.

Overall the village did better than expected though they were a little too trusting and I don't think enough people inspected Chernabog in the end. It would have been interesting to see them handle some of the harder challenges I had planned for them but it was a beautiful effort and a solid clean sweep.

THE MAFIA

Aska - Maggie Simpson - The Godfather

I wanted to see the godfather be a lot more active, like a DLE in this game, so that he drew more inspections and massively threw off the village, so I'm kinda sad with how this one turned out. Got scumread without even being inspected and lynched, not sure what to say.

Ullar - Chell - The Hooker

Really Disappointed that my fun abilities never got used, the double hook was meant for late game and the Decieve and Drugs were meant for the early game. The Drugs actually gave the victim detective guiltys for the rest of the game too, which could have been troubling. It was meant to be used after the town started to doubt inspection results and started tracking/watching/psyching. Can't bash too much because Ullar had a lot going on this game, sorry.

Yeti - The Pyro - The Ninja

The immunity to tracking made her a good first kill deliverer, and the investigation was meant to gather intel for the best lies. Too bad she got mass scumread and even though she hooked two of the people after her the yung mills gets there in the end. Sucks to suck. I guess leaving one vote on link and not doing anything was sketchy.

These guys had the ability in my opinion to take down the village with a moderate amount of skill and a little bit of luck, but their idling and lack of effort in pretending to be villagers or be creative with actions did them in.

Village MVP - Probably Billymills or DLE or Internet
Mafia MVP - Yeti pretty much by default

Good game guys, I hope this was fun and that the concepts made sense, like I said you can probably expect more role heavy standard nocs in the future. Let this be a lesson that votes count for something as far as scumhunting as well.

Last edited:
I agree, I had 2/3 mafia and the third mafia in a 50/50 (Snoopy or Chell) from looking at d1, but it helped I knew I was village and getting wagoned oddly

I enjoyed this game despite its shortness and it's a shame it played how it did because I actually got paranoid about Chernabog pushing a mislynch and just rolled with it because it matched my scumread and my inspect chained to trusting Chernabog, demonstrating mafia with abilities like that could've caused serious chaos just by faking a scumcheck like Blazade said and blending in. Killing likely inspected towns would also be good (for example I fully expected inspects to be on d1 wagons and wagon voters, but that might be poor theory of mind since it's just what I did) to avoid having a cleared poster. Agreed this would make a fantastic rtm btw, no idling losses and forgetting about the forum (though I think aliases were important here for posting and do affect balance)

Communicating clears was super easy which is why we inspected neatly but again mafia could've done this too so I think this was just unlucky and the design was probably fine in hindsight knowing inspect was pretty untrustworthy. Communicating sanity is a lot harder imo

Strong play btw interwebs

Gj on effort Cancerous. To be honest, I instinctively thought you were town just based off what I thought was wasting an announce to clear yourself and never questioned it further

Ty for hosting btw this was refreshing and I'd like to see the concept used live someday

I enjoyed Yeti's deadposts

Last edited:
I think Aska bussing Ullar day 1 would have been a strong play, but I still think information was too strong in this game. 3 different types of information (inspect, track/watch, psych/detect) on 10 villagers is next to impossible to get through. Though arguably, really strong village play by everyone made it a little more extreme than it should have been.

Sam's (?) idea of turning it into a prisoner's dilemma type game (e.g.: if more than 3 people choose any role, they all fail) would make it more interesting.

One real problem with alliance checking of any form is it creates info chains too easy and that forms a voting bloc

I think rather than make fail, compromise sanity tbh (mix of sanity and insanity not paranoia) I feel like it's too susceptible to magic psychic bullshit since its so hard to coordinate checks with votes. I guess the game has a tweet post option so all fail could work

I don't think other than a nerf to early mass inspect the village needs nerfing though

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
village needs to be nerfed in some way for sure, the only mafia technique that could really win them the game was to sell out a team mate to look legit

i strangely enjoyed this game despite it dragging a bit, thanks for hosting blazade

Could mafia make tweet posts, if not announce is broken
Mafia each started with 2 tweets and picked up an extra tweet a night. They could either use the tweets to pose as villagers or post in the Mafia Chat. Speaking of the mafia chat, I'd open it up but it really doesn't have more than the night actions; like I said they never used the tweets.

Yeah Alliance checking makes chains but you only get clears from your perspective and weak links in the chain caused by deceive and Godfather would start to get problematic. Perhaps it makes the most sense just to cut the no protection mechanic entirely but I wanted to reward players for dodging heat from the mafia. As the game went on you're right though shade, I think a mafia would have to bus at around D4 to have a really airtight win. I'll probably stick to if over half the living village inspects sanity is not guaranteed.

Also from the small portion of the population that ever used a detective, psych, track or watch I don't think anyone received a guilty. Plus when you give the village a reason to believe sanity is not guaranteed the deception abilities from the mafia become inherently less powerful. They also can't fakeclaim inspection results as easily without the village counting the numbers and starting to scumread based on that. It's a direction worth exploring, but it would take some time to refine imo.

Oh and Billymills the mafia DID have a mass target ability to stop the no protects. The Ninja could leave the false trails and ping everyone. Originally I gave him this ability to make him more immune to tracking and watching so he could be consistent with his lies (being revealed as tracked to the person he says is inspected etc) but when I threw in the hook drawback I was thinking the ninja could counter it.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Dang you guys read a lot more into my vote than I expected. I voted Link bc I was annoyed he kept spamming crap lmao. Never lucky.

I don't think the mafia could feasibly fake claim inspections either. The second Chell or Pyro claim to have inspected scum that turns up town upon a lynch they are dead. Only Maggie could force a mislynch and still appear town. And if the mafia fake clean Chell or Pyro the second the fake clean one dies the other does too for lying. OR the mafia wind up "cleaning" so many actual townspeople that by late game they are lynched because they run out of people to frame as mafia. That happened in one game where I was village leader. The last mafia had fake claimed alliance checker and the second he lied about someone he would've died. Like if I cleaned shade and jumpluff and we wound up being the last 3 of course they will lynch me. I clearly must be the bad one.

I think inspection was way too easy of a choice. If I had been town I would've done it every night. There was no reason not to. Which could have worked out well for us if Maggie bussed a scum and faked inspecting one of us and then was inspected and came back town. BUT this requires a second scum to still be alive because otherwise Maggie lost her VT result if she did the kill.

Oh wells. Not much you can do when >aska
And my salt vote d1 got read into infinitely more than I had expected or thought. I would've voted the same if I was town too just bc DLE was a pest lmao

Yeti

dark saturday
Wait Blazade wasn't Maggie a delayed hooker? Her -1 point says the next night not the same night. But aska idled it n1. So nobody should have had it n2. I used it n2. He died d3. Shouldn't DLE have not been able to inspect n3 then? He should have cleaned Maggie n2....

Wait Blazade wasn't Maggie a delayed hooker? Her -1 point says the next night not the same night. But aska idled it n1. So nobody should have had it n2. I used it n2. He died d3. Shouldn't DLE have not been able to inspect n3 then? He should have cleaned Maggie n2....
DLE inspected Maggie without protection night 2, so the fact that he was targeted by the Mafia hooked him night 2. He would have started with 4 points night 3 if we took that to completion.

Yeti

dark saturday
Wait a villager got hooked if a mafia role was used on them and they were inspecting even if it wasn't an actual hook?

I just thought protection meant he couldn't be bged or sged. Not... that.

I would've done things differently if I realized that I think. Idk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)