Serious Anxiety

Hi friends.

I’m making this thread as a place where anyone can discuss anxiety, of any kind and form. The idea is similar to the depression thread, except about anxiety! I know the two go hand-in-hand but I think anxiety can be insidiously debilitating in a way that I think affects many people, so in that sense I think it appeals to a broader base of people. I think it may be helpful to have a space to talk about anxiety where others can sympathize. I do realize this overlaps a bit (possibly a lot) with the depression thread but I would hope that this thread encompasses more experiences and is thus useful for those who may feel that their anxiety, while an issue, is not quite as severe as depression.

Also because anxiety encompasses so many things, I don’t want to limit this thread to just personal experiences of anxiety in their lives (as important as that is). You are also free to discuss anxiety in popular culture, eg films/books, anxiety in science, as a part of nature/evolution, whatever you feel relates. I took a course based around anxiety and some of the works we read included Kafka's The Castle (a book I really enjoyed) and films such as Vertigo and The Lobster. I think there's definitely some interesting conversations to be had around how anxiety manifests itself in contemporary society.

Here’s my personal experience(s)/journey with anxiety to kickstart this thread.
SOCIAL ANXIETY
Social anxiety is tough because of how it stops us from participating in things we really want to. I guess it's maybe more accurate to say that anxiety distorts (or maybe creates?) reality to the point where the easiest way to respond is with avoidance. It’s that fear of uncertainty – it’s deciding not to act or pursue an interest/thought/desire because the sense of knowing that you won’t fail if you don’t try is stronger than what might happen if you do and succeed.

For me, as tough and limiting as it has been, I feel pretty fortunate that I’ve lived a pretty ok existence even with it. I think a large part of my social anxiety stems from my parents who are also quite anxious (especially my dad). Overall I am pretty ok with this – sure, I wish I had been less anxious about certain things and maybe if I hadn’t been I would’ve done x instead and be “more happier” but ultimately I think things turned out ok and I am grateful for the experiences I have had regardless of how much my social anxiety interfered.

I have taken medication to try and deal with the problem. I think it was ultimately helpful in freeing myself from typical anxious thoughts (e.g. overanalyzing every single social situation). Right now I’m not taking it anymore even though it probably would help me, for whatever reason I’m just not interested. But I think for people who have really really bad anxiety, it’s definitely an option to explore and try out if it helps improve your life. I also have decent experience with therapy (I'm doing cognitive behavior therapy atm as well), so if anyone has any questions about that process, let me know. I definitely think that therapy can be very useful in dealing with anxiety. That said, you have to approach it with a desire to improve and overcome it, which can be difficult.

EXISTENTIAL ANXIETY [please forgive me in advance if my understanding of something is incorrect]
I think in the past week, I’ve just been hit by this realization that at some point me/my family/others will die and that is it and the thought is just so incredibly scary. It’s so bad that my normal social anxiety has almost evaporated. I guess it didn’t bother me that I didn’t exist 400 years ago but now that I “exist” it certainly bothers me that there will be a time in which I don’t. I suppose that the anxiety is great because I already am anxious about the world at large. I can imagine that for those with minimal anxiety, death is not so bad because 1. You can’t do anything about it right now so what’s the point in worrying about it? and 2. It’s better to have lived and existed and gone through that whole experience than never having it all. I get 1 is true but it’s hard to keep in mind and I am just not so sure about 2.

I think my existential (I hope that is that right word) angst really just stems from me being selfish and arrogant, from a desire to preserve my sense of existence that is just quite free of suffering I suppose. I think my life right now is so meaningful, maybe even as meaningful as it ever may be. I won’t say it’s great, more like ok – yes, I’m probably underachieving, I’m probably not as happy or successful as I could be, I’m probably not doing things that really fulfill me/help improve the world and the situations of others. But at the same time I am in a consistently solid family environment and all my most immediate wants and desires are fulfilled. I love my family, they love me, and I don’t want anything more than that. I think “selfishness” comes into play because I want to hold on this situation for essentially forever, without really any regard for others who are unfortunate not to have the same situations as I. Perhaps it’s not even the situation I crave, but an overattachment to a sense of myself that I want to hold on to for as long as I can, possibly forever.

And then I think I am arrogant in the sense that I feel as if I am more compassionate, loving than many other people on Earth. I suppose that’s not an incredibly high bar, for I’m not a mass murderer, I genuinely try to do good things, sympathize with the plight of others (definitely not to the extent that I could be though). I’m definitely not perfect or all-loving or anything like that but from what I have seen I do at least feel as if I do a better job than most of those things. That is probably arrogant of me but that is how I feel. Perhaps subconsciously I think that as a result it’s unfair that I lose that love even though loss is inevitable. I guess I am putting myself up on a pedestal even though there’s no real reason for me to do so. But at the same time I do truly believe that I want others to also feel and have the same experience of good things and feelings.

So I guess what my anxiety breaks down to is a fear of losing the world that I have. Some people say that eternal life is boring or what not, but I would rather know nothing else that be loved and love eternally. It’s selfish because I am better off (not just materially but primarily emotionally – and there’s the fact that literally nothing bad has happened to me! My family and are in good health, good financially, etc! Why am I grieving about the potential loss when it hasn’t even happened!?) than so many others who genuinely suffer and arrogant because in some sense I feel as if what I have is so meaningful and nothing else can top it, as if my own personal emotions are so much more important than anyone else's.

But at the same time my fear is not only about myself and my world. I think and I guess am anxious about others around me and I suppose this is where religion comes into play. Why am I so lucky when others have to suffer, when others have suffered? It’s not just me that I want to be happy, I want (and I truly hope) that others truly find happiness and meaning in their existence and post-existence. I wish I was religious and was brave enough to have faith but at the same time the religion I am closest to (Christianity) seems so unreal because it offers me unsatisfactory conclusions about the world beyond me. In a way, Christianity comes off as selfish to me. I genuinely want non-believers to share the same supposed post-existence happiness that a supposed Christian would. What about those who never learn about the so-called greatness of Christianity? I mean I could go on and on about “God” and how he might act and what not but that’s not really interesting at this point. Maybe it’s all the Abrahamic religions, but I feel as if they are off with regards to how non-believers are treated.

In that sense, I feel Buddhism (from really just reading one book sort of related to it) comes closest to fulfilling the values that I hold in life. And yet, it doesn’t help me with the idea of the self. I don’t know enough about Buddhism to really “know” if it is right one way or the other, but my sense is that while it perhaps comes the closest to aligning with my values, it seems conceptually hard to accept from my limited knowledge. I guess I am just so attached to the idea of having a “self” that not having one seems to defeat the entire purpose of pretty much everything. The idea of not existing, not being able to experience is so foreign at this point that it is terrifying.

Perhaps what I fear the most though is science and maybe even philosophy, which I’m sure is a sacrilegious thought among some group of people or another. I think I fear the confirmation that there is no greater purpose to life, that our experience of existence is just chemicals/neurons in the brain (sorry for the lack of scientific accuracy here), that there is no self, that my conscious experience is simply an illusion. I fear that my purpose in life is to simply reproduce and continue on the human race. Perhaps I fear this because I think this is what is most likely to be true. I’m not sure what is worse: not knowing, or it being the truth. I want to believe that there is some higher meaning in existence, even though how we understand the world suggests that there isn’t so why should existence for humans be more meaningful than anything else? In this respect, for my anxious mind, it seems like consciousness is incredibly cruel. To be given the gift to recognize and hold so many beautiful and great things only to be faced with the realization that it will and must be lost. In this sense, I think non-religious people are especially brave to be able to live knowing these things. Maybe that thought right there though is truly what separates an anxious person from a non-anxious person. I'm not sure.

I’d like this thread to be a place where people can share and discuss their anxiety. I don’t really want this thread to be about fighting others’ beliefs. Even if you disagree with someone’s viewpoints, I’d like people to at least have and show some sympathy for another person’s positions/concerns/struggles. I also know I spoke a lot about religion/science in my own personal experience. I do not want this thread to be about science vs. religion. I am definitely open to people discussing science/religion but I would ask that it be done so in a way that is respectful to the other person who holds those thoughts. Maybe easier said than done, but I guess please don’t post if you aren’t interested in trying to understand another person’s viewpoint?

Thanks for reading and sharing if you choose to do so.

[I suppose technically there have been threads on anxiety in the past, but I would say that with this thread I'm trying to create a singular thread for all types of anxious experiences not just my own. I'm interested in hearing about how it affects people in general, not just putting forward how I feel]

My opinion on existential anxiety is don't think about. If you start thinking about it stop thinking about it. You can't do anything about it anyways so no point in making yourself feel like shit. I've suffered to much from this form of anxiety to let it control my life anymore. Death only deserves to get to me once I'm dead.

Social anxiety is just think about it a tonne and then go out and be a million times worse than what you imagined and still have it work because in general people are nice and no matter how cringy you are as long as you're kind and have good intentions most interactions should go well.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I used to have a condition where I'd just have anxiety and/ or depression but not because something has happened.
It wasn't due to thinking about something. It was due to hormones being ridiculous.

Does this count as on topic?

Anyway, I think having religious beliefs help a lot.
I personally really believe that the spiritual / supernatural world exists. But other "rules" and "laws" of certain religions are often misinterpreted by religious leaders or other believers.
Things like homosexuality, I think it's debatable.
Some people believe that the bible has no translation errors, but I call that bogus. There are.

Buddhism sounds very logical to many people, myself included.
But whether religions should be logical is another matter.
Heck, I'd argue that Buddhism isn't a religion, since true Buddhism doesn't have a God/ gods.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Used to have existential anxiety but then I realized that I was wasting my limited time existing worrying about not existing even though it wouldn’t theoretically impact me after I stop existing, which is lame.

Outside of that I’ve always considered myself generally type B and only anxious for a few health related episodes. Definitely not socially anxious beyond that of a typical human reaction of “that was stupid why did I say that” sometimes

I've really suffered with anxiety for quite a while now. For my, social anxiety is far more severe than existential anxiety, and seems to have gotten worse over time. There are a lot of things I dwell on where fear and anxiety has held me back in life, and things have superficially turned out ok, but I'm really not all that happy. I've thought about medication for it, but that also makes me anxious. If anyone has thoughts more on the social anxiety side of things, I'd be interested in hearing them.

I was hit with existential anxiety when i was really young, and while I don't really have a cure for it, I kinda came up with a working solution. It hits me again every now and again when I feel vulnerable, but is more of an afterthought compared to social anxiety. I think you have to find a direction that works for you.

Religion didn't work for me because I didn't like the idea of looking for myself in others; but it works for most people. There's a lot of ways to interpret existence and metaphysics; you can spend a lot of time thinking about it. You might not find an answer, but you might be able to convince yourself you're going in the right direction.

My opinion on existential anxiety is don't think about. If you start thinking about it stop thinking about it. You can't do anything about it anyways so no point in making yourself feel like shit. I've suffered to much from this form of anxiety to let it control my life anymore. Death only deserves to get to me once I'm dead.
Yeah I think this is pretty much the place I somehow need to get to. It's funny because I've definitely thought about death before but it hasn't really felt this crippling until now. In many ways, it's pretty amusing it's a problem at all. For centuries people have struggled for survival (even now, there's plenty of people all over who aren't "well off"). Yet here I am, without really having suffered, living a fairly comfortable existence making myself suffer in preparation for "suffering" (which is not even accurate because I just don't know). It's like I'm forcing myself to think about all the the ways existence distresses me, whether that's the death of "myself," the death of my loved ones (and not just how that will affect me but how they will feel), the "why" of everything, etc.

I think in many ways just thinking about the subject gives me so much anguish. Reading the science and philosophy and all these contrasting viewpoints just creates so much uncertainty that I can't handle. I'm trying to think about so many things and approaches related to fear in the hopes that I guess I will find a definite answer (or at least an answer that will make me "happy.") Honestly I probably should just log off reddit and most of the internet and start cherishing what I have now. Easier said than done...

Social anxiety is just think about it a tonne and then go out and be a million times worse than what you imagined and still have it work because in general people are nice and no matter how cringy you are as long as you're kind and have good intentions most interactions should go well.
Well said! I would probably even go one step farther and say that most interactions in reality end up being completely fine and even "good" interactions. They might feel worse than imagined and we may not credit ourselves when they do ok but I think it's pretty rare for those situations to actually to as bad or worse than imagined. The type of people to be socially anxious I feel usually aren't the ones that need to be.

Definitely some more thought provoking posts that I would like to respond to in a bit.

I used to have a condition where I'd just have anxiety and/ or depression but not because something has happened.
It wasn't due to thinking about something. It was due to hormones being ridiculous.

Does this count as on topic?
Absolutely it counts!

How exactly did your anxiety impact you? Like did it stop you from doing things you wanted to do? Was there an object to your anxiety eg specific social situations? Or was it just in general? I suppose there must be an object for there to be anxiety but I imagine sometimes it's hard to figure out just what it is...

Anyway, I think having religious beliefs help a lot.
I personally really believe that the spiritual / supernatural world exists. But other "rules" and "laws" of certain religions are often misinterpreted by religious leaders or other believers.
Things like homosexuality, I think it's debatable.
Some people believe that the bible has no translation errors, but I call that bogus. There are.

Buddhism sounds very logical to many people, myself included.
But whether religions should be logical is another matter.
Heck, I'd argue that Buddhism isn't a religion, since true Buddhism doesn't have a God/ gods.
Do you consider yourself to be quite religious? If so, do you think holding those beliefs have helped with your anxiety/life in general, or is it just something that's there that you don't really think about? I think buddhism as a philosophy is very interesting and quite comforting in a way. It aligns with how I think about the world most of the time too. I would consider Buddhism as a whole to be a religion because it does have spiritual elements (eg reincarnation). That's not to take away from it though. I think its philosophical aspects are very powerful.

I think people who are thoroughly confident in their faith are very brave just in the sense that I just can't see myself having the same belief even though I want to have faith.

I've really suffered with anxiety for quite a while now. For my, social anxiety is far more severe than existential anxiety, and seems to have gotten worse over time. There are a lot of things I dwell on where fear and anxiety has held me back in life, and things have superficially turned out ok, but I'm really not all that happy. I've thought about medication for it, but that also makes me anxious. If anyone has thoughts more on the social anxiety side of things, I'd be interested in hearing them.

I was hit with existential anxiety when i was really young, and while I don't really have a cure for it, I kinda came up with a working solution. It hits me again every now and again when I feel vulnerable, but is more of an afterthought compared to social anxiety. I think you have to find a direction that works for you.

Religion didn't work for me because I didn't like the idea of looking for myself in others; but it works for most people. There's a lot of ways to interpret existence and metaphysics; you can spend a lot of time thinking about it. You might not find an answer, but you might be able to convince yourself you're going in the right direction.
Yeah I think it depends on the ways in which you've tried to approach your social anxiety. If you've tried different things and feel that your anxiety is getting worse, then I absolutely feel that medication is something to consider. I think the key point here is that you aren't happy. If that's how you truly feel, then I think doing something more than whatever you're doing now is a good idea because decreasing your anxiety will change your quality of life for the better.

For me I think some form of therapy is good for dealing with anxiety. even talking about it with a friend is helpful. I think a professional is best though because they can give you objective feedback that really helps to break the "illusion" that is your anxiety. If there's a specific situation that gives you particularly bad anxiety or there's some goal you want to attain but are held back by anxiety then I think CBT based treatment is good because it helps focus your thoughts into dealing with a tangible situation. The downside is that you really do have to put in the effort to make it work. But as long as you have a goal you can build towards, it's definitely doable because the process involves building your confidence and comfort by gradually exposing you to more and more anxiety inducing situations. I think it's a process you can do by yourself but I imagine it helps to have someone keeping you accountable as well.

My experience with medication is that it helped...but it's really hard to state its effect because I didn't really feel anything. It doesn't work overnight. Essentially after taking it for a couple weeks, I just realized that I spent less time thinking about my anxiety or just feeling it. It's not something that's really noticeable other than you just sort of stop feeling bad. The first few days I either had a lot of difficulty falling asleep or was way tired more than usual, don't remember which. But otherwise I didn't have any side effects. I know that there's the possibility of some fairly severe side effects so it's important to be aware of those. I guess I was lucky in the sense that it was overall a net benefit with not a lot of drawback. I'm curious - what exactly about medication makes you anxious?

I used to have social anxiety, and I got over it by reducing value of what other people think of me. Now, I just say stuff and leave it up in the air. Your relationships with other people will get better and worse with this method.
Existential anxiety is like gas for me. It gives me the drive to really dig into my existence. The smog that I produce isn't good for people who don't think much about existence I guess. I'm pretty sure that I'm at the point where it's impossible to erase my existential concerns because these questions are unanswerable and that gives me the drive.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Absolutely it counts!

How exactly did your anxiety impact you? Like did it stop you from doing things you wanted to do? Was there an object to your anxiety eg specific social situations? Or was it just in general? I suppose there must be an object for there to be anxiety but I imagine sometimes it's hard to figure out just what it is...

Do you consider yourself to be quite religious? If so, do you think holding those beliefs have helped with your anxiety/life in general, or is it just something that's there that you don't really think about? I think buddhism as a philosophy is very interesting and quite comforting in a way. It aligns with how I think about the world most of the time too. I would consider Buddhism as a whole to be a religion because it does have spiritual elements (eg reincarnation). That's not to take away from it though. I think its philosophical aspects are very powerful.

I think people who are thoroughly confident in their faith are very brave just in the sense that I just can't see myself having the same belief even though I want to have faith.

Yeah I think it depends on the ways in which you've tried to approach your social anxiety. If you've tried different things and feel that your anxiety is getting worse, then I absolutely feel that medication is something to consider. I think the key point here is that you aren't happy. If that's how you truly feel, then I think doing something more than whatever you're doing now is a good idea because decreasing your anxiety will change your quality of life for the better.

For me I think some form of therapy is good for dealing with anxiety. even talking about it with a friend is helpful. I think a professional is best though because they can give you objective feedback that really helps to break the "illusion" that is your anxiety. If there's a specific situation that gives you particularly bad anxiety or there's some goal you want to attain but are held back by anxiety then I think CBT based treatment is good because it helps focus your thoughts into dealing with a tangible situation. The downside is that you really do have to put in the effort to make it work. But as long as you have a goal you can build towards, it's definitely doable because the process involves building your confidence and comfort by gradually exposing you to more and more anxiety inducing situations. I think it's a process you can do by yourself but I imagine it helps to have someone keeping you accountable as well.

My experience with medication is that it helped...but it's really hard to state its effect because I didn't really feel anything. It doesn't work overnight. Essentially after taking it for a couple weeks, I just realized that I spent less time thinking about my anxiety or just feeling it. It's not something that's really noticeable other than you just sort of stop feeling bad. The first few days I either had a lot of difficulty falling asleep or was way tired more than usual, don't remember which. But otherwise I didn't have any side effects. I know that there's the possibility of some fairly severe side effects so it's important to be aware of those. I guess I was lucky in the sense that it was overall a net benefit with not a lot of drawback. I'm curious - what exactly about medication makes you anxious?
The anxiety felt bad and occasionally prevented me from falling asleep.
I didn't even think about anything when I panicked. The mind was blank.

I think I'm devoted... or maybe, I want to become devoted (I still sin quite a lot though), but that only happened for a few months.
A few months ago, I went to a Pentecostal Christian service my ex boyfriend's mum invited me to, and the pastor was said to be gifted at healing and exorcism, and it worked on me.
I was being called onto the stage during the service. And I gradually recovered.
(My ex boyfriend's mum was super devoted. I used to just ignore her testimonies and didn't take them seriously. I even used to think she was a lunatic or something)

I'm aware that a lot of these healing services are fake/ scams, and there are also lots of Christians who think that all Pentecostals are fake and worship Satan etc.
These non-Pentecostal Christians even claim things like there's not meant to be any more miracles after Jesus' resurrection.

My questions are,
1. if God does not make any miracles anymore, then why do we need a God like that?
2. If God does not make miracles, but Satan does, then doesn't that mean it's more beneficial to follow Satan?

Anyway, what happened to me was, it worked.
I think it's partially due to Christianity itself promotes positive thinking, but I think it's largely due to supernatural powers.

I'm not sure if non Christians in America/ Canada would believe in supernatural beings at all.
But where I'm from, most people would believe that at least evil spirits exist.
Though from their point of view, there might not be a god (Buddhism) , or there may be many gods (Taoism or other folk religion). Or they may not have a fixed religion but still think that evil spirits exist.
So to me, the supernatural world has always been very real. It's a matter of picking which supernatural being to follow.

I think Buddhism is very logical and explain things well, though Buddhism doesn't consist of a God/ or gods.
In Buddhism, they believe in karma. I think karma originates from Buddhism. It makes people think more about their actions, which is a good thing.
But it's not the same as Christianity, because in Christianity, you do good deeds due to love, instead of wanting to be rewarded.
Whereas in Buddhism, most people do good deeds because they hope they can be rewarded/ it's reciprocal, etc.

They also believe in reincarnation, in which good people will get a better next life, whilst bad people will get a horrible next life.
So people use this to explain why some people are poor and some people are rich, etc. People feel that it explains a lot.
I think there are advantages and disadvantages to this.
It encourages people to do good deeds, and think twice before committing a crime.
However, some buddhists would think that poor people deserve to be poor because they must have done something bad in their past life.

The thing I like best from Buddhism is "Middle Way".
the Middle Way describes the realization of being free of the one-sidedness of perspective that takes the extremes of any polarity as objective reality. Don't go to the extremes, and remain neutral in things that do not directly affect you, etc.
I think it makes a lot of sense. I don't see why people have to take a side on every issue in the world, especially when they are not exactly affected.
For example, why would you say that plastic surgery is good or bad, if you don't have plastic surgery yourself?
Of course plastic surgery would have advantages and disadvantages, which is the same as nearly every issue in the world.
I don't mean that you shouldn't care. I mean that you can read the comments from both sides, and try to understand where they come from, instead of calling people stupid.
I think it's mature to understand both sides and listen to their stories.
Some Americans think that being neutral means the person is stupid, or can't think for themselves, but I don't think so.

Last edited:

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Just found this thread, really great that there is a place to talk about this.

I've had Social Anxiety for a good portion of my life, starting around 2012/2013 (middle school for me.) I don't think anything major happened in my life for it to start, it's just something that kinda crept onto me. It makes you feel like anything you say, any movement you make, anything you do will suddenly make you like the center of attention and everyone will judge you. Almost like you're stuck and silenced, just trying to make it past that work shift, waiting for the bell to ring, or whatever you're doing and just get away from people.

It started to get pretty bad in high school where I would start to get panic attacks just thinking about going to school. My mind would race anytime I got into a social interaction, I wouldn't look into anybody's eyes when walking in the halls, some days I wouldn't even ask to go to the bathroom because that would require getting up from the desk and I didn't want anybody looking at me. So this was a big part to why I eventually stopped going.

My social anxiety also grew as Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and all those social media platforms were starting to be huge and everybody around me was using them. I stopped posting and stopped talking to anybody on them out of fear of people critiquing or judging me. "What if they're with their friends and they start laughing at what I say?" "What if this person thinks differently of me because of something I post" ect. Were things I would say to myself if I even considered posting something. With how big social media is with people my age, and the fact that I was no longer going to school, I eventually lost almost every IRL friend I had. Socially Isolated was the best way I could describe the feeling.

Through the help of loved ones and some medication, I've thankfully gotten over the panic attacks and the social anxiety for the most part. This community and my Youtube channel have really helped me get back into being social again, and discussing things with people without feeling judged and potentially ridiculed. Not sure how to end this off but I want to tell anybody going through any form of Anxiety that it does eventually get better, and that talking to friends and especially family is a big help. Nobody should have to go through it alone

So yeah those are just my experiences with it

I used to have social anxiety, and I got over it by reducing value of what other people think of me. Now, I just say stuff and leave it up in the air. Your relationships with other people will get better and worse with this method.
I used to have social anxiety but I found out a way to stop it. I do all kinds of stupid and gay shit. They can't worsen your social anxiety if you dress up as a girl and kiss them. I don't like doing it, but it works.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I used to have social anxiety but I found out a way to stop it. I do all kinds of stupid and gay shit. They can't worsen your social anxiety if you dress up as a girl and kiss them. I don't like doing it, but it works.

To keep some semblance of topic, I used to have phone anxiety. Not sure where it went, but I'm glad it's gone, or at least lessened. I'd definitely still rather e-mail where possible. It's largely more convenient to allow for asynchronous communication (although voicemails exist too).

mym217866

Frankly, your post sounds like you prioritize everyone else over yourself. I think that a balance between caring other people and yourself is important.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't care about what other people think of you. Just care less than you do right now. You can vary the amount of caring for people. If you want to care more for a particular set of people. Go for it.

Leaving it up in the air means saying what's on your mind and to be authentic about what you think at that moment instead of saying what other people want you to say. This does mean that you may will say stuff that other people don't want to hear. This will lead to conflicts and so on. Resolving conflicts leads a deeper understanding in relationships between yourself and other people. If you cant repair the conflict, then the relationship was fundamentally unhealthy.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
it is kind of funny to me that psychoanalysts so frequently delay, abate, or otherwise postpone their analysis of anxiety, always it is put off for later. It is kind of an oddity or irony considering that anxiety appears to be a totalizimg feeling involving judgements and projections onto/about the future-present world of the subject (glossed: the way the subject is oriented towards their present makes them anxious about its future or vice versa). Particularly freud and althusser, at multiple points, avoid elaborating on the mechanism of projection as it regards anxiety, and at least once each, they ask the reader to forgive their postponing analysing anxiety.

Last edited:
I used to be skeptical of the existence of a diety/God because how can a good God allow pain and suffering on this planet. Until out of desperation I said a prayer out loud so that I can be calmer and more focused because I was extremely anxious regarding an upcoming driving test which I already wasted 200AUD on the first one and I knew my parents will be very disappointed if I wasted another 200 AUD and thus needed to wait another 2 more weeks until I can legally retake it. And I gotta say I never have taken a test with this level of confidence and calmness. I swear I couldn't believe my eyes and my senses. It's a massive turning point of my own life when it comes to my views on theism and God. Even my driving instructor was very proud of my performance compared to the previous exam. So if any of you reading this post that is a theist or believe there is a chance of a higher power out there this is something you can do. NGL I also felt significantly happier knowing there's always someone out there who is willing to hear my pleas and is willing to carry the burden of my pains, anxieties and distresses.

Otherwise you should write down exactly what is causing the anxious feeling if you are aware of any factors that contribute to it. Then share it with a friend, family or even a professional therapist.

I highly advise staying away from antidepressants because they aren't actually a cure, just a tempormental suppression of it.

No, actually sounds more like the opposite to me. I am prioritizing myself. Again, (some) of these relationships have value and breaking these relationships could have a loss of value. Throwing away "fundamentally unhealthy" relationships is not something I..or you or anyone can always afford to do for the sake of "deeper understanding". What you gain in your "deeper understanding" you lose in, I don't know, people to be around? Relationships? And the benefits that come from having those relationships.
Of course, there are varying values in various relationships. If there is a value in the relationship, then you should be authentically positive about these values. For example, with your friends and family, I put an emotional value in these relationships. We share our experiences. We enjoy our time together: ups and downs. In workplaces, I usually try to keep relationships more transactional and focus on utilitarian values. There are co-workers or whatever who want to form deeper relationship than a workplace relationship, and I'm happy to consider them as a friend.

From my experience, if I find myself being anxious about a relationship, then it's because values are not there or incompatible. The lack of values clash my opinions about the relationship and makes me question the nature of relationship and so on. This is a source for anxiety for me. I usually ask questions and try to figure out what's going on. If it doesn't work out after trying to repair relationship, then I don't mind moving on to other people. There are at least 7 billion people. Hitting some relationship bumps is inevitable.

I'm not going around trying to deliberately lose relationships for deeper knowledge. If it happens, then I hopefully will learn something from it. Even negative experiences can offer positive insights. I think that the ultimate point is that don't be afraid of losing relationships. The lost relationships will give you an insight into what values you really were valuing.

Listen, what I'm going to say here is controversial but this is my personal experience with mental illness, I'm not a doctor, take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I was always an anxious kid, always with traces depression, low self-steem, easily irritable, went to develope some OCD symptons. Beside these traits, I was not shy, was always very talkative (sometimes too much), had some social difficulties but nothing out of the ordinary, then when I entered puberty I started to develop Social Anxiety. I changed schools, but still kept in contact with my old group of friends (until today actually), I made new friends there, at that point I still had initiative to meet people in the school, just didn't talk to girls. I was 14 years old this year, then I started getting progressively more anxious and depressed, slept in classes and almost failed to pass to the next year. At that point I didn't know that what I had has a name. The next year things went downhill. I didn't have the motivation to study and watch classes. Went to my first psychologist as a teenager without much improvement. I failed my first year in highschool, all my friends and colleagues went to next year, and from now on I stopped completely trying to make new friends because of the anxiety, totally alone in class the other year but saw my old friends at intervals and a more close group of old friends in the weekends.

At this point the scenario was set, I failed another year of school, went to 1 more psychologist (diagnosed with ADHD, probably bullshit), 3 more psychiatrists, took fluoxetine (helped with OCD only), ritalin (helped a lot with motivation but made me angry), did 2 years of therapy with another female therapist (people will call me sexist but I believe females therapists are great for comforting and for having empathy, but they are not so good confronting you to change). Keep in mind that my case is not so severe that I can't go to grocery stores, talk with authorities, go to parties (not dance though, terrified of this), but it is severe enough that I couldn't work and study in classes, never had a relationship either.

I'm now 24 years old (no work or school), between those years I reached my phase of "drugs are not the cure", everyone goes through this and it's the new mainstrain popular thought". I started lifting weights (never went long with the program though because of depression, but squatted 120kg, deadlifted 130kg), which gave me some self-esteem, but problems persisted. Last year I tried various vitamins, measured testosterone e other hormones, tested for endocrine diseases, tried suplementing high dose iodine, dieted 8kg down, there were periods where I felt a little better but the problems still there. I also gathered courage to lose my virginity to an escort (legal here) to see if I get less anxious around women (this one worked and I recommend). The beginning of this year I continued with my self-help mentality of "no drugs", "anxiety can be cured with exposure" and decided to get back to preparatory school to study for Med school, I always wanted to be a doctor as my family has a few, including my mother. I went to school with my younger brother (which helped the anxiety) and forced myself to talk with people, trying to exposure myself, but the anxiety was still very high. In march there was an minor social mishap where I felt rejected and entered a depression phase, this was the moment I realised that I needed some medication or I would be like that for the rest of my life, so I got a Sertraline prescription with my mother and started taking it and, a few weeks latter, went to my old psychiatrist.

Turns out that the truth is: Social Anxiety and Depression are biological, endogenous diseases. Despite what is said today, you can't "conquer" it with self-help and therapy if it is severe enough, and yes, the biochemical imbalance theory still holds true in spite of the evidences.

Therapy can cure the milder cases which are sometimes transient or have are induced by an event. When you have something chronic like me (and you now if you have), therapy can specifically sort out some things, but you can't cure it. Now you may be a little sad knowing that you can't cure it, but the bright side is that there is a good chance you can treat it with medication, to the point of getting rid 80-90% or even remission. The problem lies in the fact that most psychiatrists today are too guided by what the farmaceutical industry wants them to prescribe. SSRIs, the most common prescribed antidepressants, have a very low response rate, and doctors tend to try dozens of them, hoping that you will find " the right one". The Sertraline didn't gave me relief, in fact made me worse. Them he put me on Pristiq, a SNRI (similar but theoretically raises norepinephrine also, probably just at high doses) which also didn't help. At this point he stopped Pristiq and put me on Mirtazapine, which gave me a significant relief from anxiety but not depression. Since I stopped Sertraline, I was searching about an old class of ADs called MAOIs, that are considered the gold standard for depression and anxiety, but tend to to be considered "third line treatments". I found one study that shows that, in one year, 62% of patients taking a MAOI, called Parnate, between doses of 30-60mg had a remarkable improvement, while 18% had mild improvement, which sums a total of 80% rate of response, and assuming that maybe higher doses could be used it can be even higher. In comparison, SSRIs tend to have a 30% response rate. The thing is that MAOIs block the enzime called monoamine in the brain, raising levels of serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine, all at the same time. Doctors are afraid of prescribing them because of some interactions with food that can make you have a hypertensive crise and incompatibility with other susbstances that raise serotonin, which could cause lethal serotonin syndrome, however, these side effects and food restrictions are greatly exaggerated in farmacology books and farmaceutical handbooks.

After starting Mirtazapine, in my research, I found out that it has a low afinity as a SRI, so it isn't even an antidepressant, being more of a anxiolityc. This told me that my psychiatrist was not par with the farmacology of the drugs. After him refusing to prescribe me Parnate I decided to ask my mother for a prescription and took it by myself, and so here I am, in the end of the third week taking 40 mg, so far I've felt some benefit for negative thoughts and less anxiety, but I'm still with lack of energy and pleasure to do things but I'm sure in the next months when the medication stabilize I will improve. The diet is not so complicated and as far as drugs interactions, you just need to avoid the ones that have SRI potency, everything else is fine (including Mirtazapine, it has a weak afinity as a SRI remember, despite what the farmaceutical oficial information will tell). They usually have less side effects than SSRIs and Trycyclics and they tend to go away after few months. For the first time in my life I was able to dance with my friends in a night club, other times, even when I was super drunk I couldn't do it.

So, if you have endogenous depression with anxiety or social anxiety, a MAOI, preferably Parnate, is the most efficient type of medication supported by evidence. If first and second line treatments don't work, please, do your research and show him that the side effects are greatly exaggerated and that you know enough to be ready to take a MAOI, it is worth it. Just don't let your doctor switch between dozens of different SSRIs and SNRIs without improvement, people waste money and years doing this without feeling better.

There is no reason to try more than 2 SSRIs for endogenous depression and most SNRIs just have norepinephrine afinity at high doses. Parnate can be augmented with Ritalin, Bupropion, Nortrypytiline, Anti-Histamines, and others if necessary, despite the popular notion that it can't be combined with other drugs.

Everything I learned about MAOIs was with Dr.Ken Gillman, he is an australian world renowned MAOI expert. His blog has anything that you need to know. He also can chat with you on Skype if you reach for him, but don't forget to give a symbolic donation after to help the website and to spread the knowledge about MAOIs.

I recommend you to read those links if you want more information.

https://psychotropical.com/ads-the-basics/

https://psychotropical.com/ken-gillman-ad-algorithm/

https://psychotropical.com/why-most-new-antidepressants-are-ineffective/

https://psychotropical.com/parnate-starting-and-adjusting-dose/

https://psychotropical.com/tcp-new-review/ **This one mentions Social Anxiety

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3209719/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20036427/ **Last two are studies showing efficacy of Parnate on social anxiety and panic

Disclaime:
I didn't receive any kind of compensation from Dr. Gillman for showing his work nor from the fabricants of Parnate. My intention here is helping people get adequate treatment and offer my knowledge about the subject. Therapy is a great tool but it has to be used in conjunction with drug treatment if you have signs of a chronic and endogenous disease. Self-esteem, largely believed to be a psychological construct of the circumstances, now is shown to be of biological origin. Studies show that people with high self-esteem have less MAO in their brain, MAOIs are shown to improve rejection threeshold.

Last edited:
Honestly the first time I tried reading the above post I couldn't tell if it was spambot or not ("make sure to donate to X guy!"). I guess it's probably not a spambot but I dunno...

Either way, while I'm glad you had a positive experience and found something that works for you, but I don't think it's appropriate to be giving out definitive medical advice, especially when you're saying things like "big pharma is to blame for ignoring this obvious and definite solution!" I actually feel really uncomfortable with a lot of what is written above. You aren't a doctor (and even if you were) this isn't the place to be giving medical advice. Like oh yea big pharma is just overstating the risk and you can trust my word on it? Really?

Again, it's cool it out for you, but I think in general it's pretty dangerous to suggest that everyone should be going to their mom to get access to drugs their doctor doesn't want to prescribe (because "big pharma!")...

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Honestly the first time I tried reading the above post I couldn't tell if it was spambot or not ("make sure to donate to X guy!"). I guess it's probably not a spambot but I dunno...

Either way, while I'm glad you had a positive experience and found something that works for you, but I don't think it's appropriate to be giving out definitive medical advice, especially when you're saying things like "big pharma is to blame for ignoring this obvious and definite solution!" I actually feel really uncomfortable with a lot of what is written above. You aren't a doctor (and even if you were) this isn't the place to be giving medical advice. Like oh yea big pharma is just overstating the risk and you can trust my word on it? Really?

Again, it's cool it out for you, but I think in general it's pretty dangerous to suggest that everyone should be going to their mom to get access to drugs their doctor doesn't want to prescribe (because "big pharma!")...
I feel like it is a spambot, or at least similar, given the singular post and copious links+money requests

I make it a mission to like every post made by a spambot on this site so that's a good way of telling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)