Anything Goes Resources

i'm strongly against deoxys-attack dropping.

In general, sure if you want to sack a mon to get rocks up and possibly a layer of spikes/screens and make it a 5v6, sure, deo-s does it best for ho. But the difference is, deo-a can actually potentially pick up a kill while it's leading, and isn't dead weight if you lose the 50/50 with diancie or sableye. and really, because of how easy it is to slap a defog arceus on any team that needs rocks off, deo-s ho really isn't the best in ag.
O.o
What 50-50? Deo a just loses to Msab. There's no 50-50, it won't do shit as long as Msab is on, which makes it a shitty lead to begin with. And since when is "the prevalence of defog" a reason not to use Deo speed? The screens + rocks set up in the beginning alone gives you tons of momentum. It can opt for a different set and set up a layer of spikes to go with the rocks and going for skill swap to beat the bouncers. And it isn't an awful "5v6 situation because you sacked your lead", Deo S sets up multiple sweeps, which Deo A still fails to do. Moreover, Deo A just straight out loses to the most common of Arceus leads with recovery (unless it's running taunt, in which case it loses out on E speed and just dies to dual judgment), e killers, swagkey (while allowing it to spike up), Deo S.. Name a common lead, and it'll almost definitely do well against Deo A. Even Mexican don can get away with minimal damage or stop the rocks set up with one parahax turn. Let's not forget 4MSS here, Deo A will either get taunt or E speed, not both (or it will just lose to dual e speed/dark types/steel types with no superpower). Speaking of which, let's have a look at some of the leads ranked below Deo A

Deoxys Speed
Excadrill
Based don
Scolipede
Cloyster

We are actually saying that Deo A outclasses these leads entirely if we're ranking them 5-6 ranks below Deo A. Anyone who has ever played with any of them will tell you they all far, far better leads than Deo A.

Or use this magic thing called Life Orb! Not every mon has espeed you know, and even if they do it's a 50/50 because if you switch to your Skarm, Bulkyveltal, or another espeed absorber which you should always have with lo deo-a, then you picked up a kill and they didn't do jack shit! The thing is, that doesn't sound too great until you realize for that to happen deo-a has already picked up a kill and pulled its weight. Also, having an espeed that is faster than Arceus gives you a way to revenge kill a weakened ekiller (and it will be weakened if you play right because this is ag and everything bar stall hits hard) that isn't just winning a speed tie.
What. What? What?!
When was the last time you played a serious AG game? Are you actually suggesting using a life orb deoxys in a meta that has like 80% teams with priority usage, often multiple extreme killers, and passing it off as a serious strat? Moreover, are you ACTUALLY suggesting using a Life orb Deoxys while a skarmory is in the same team? I mean, let alone lousy playstyle-team building, it just makes 0 sense in general.
If that is the only legit way you are suggesting Deo A be used (considering how it is outmatched as a lead by plenty of other mons, and slapping on a Skarmory/Yveltal because you are Arceus weak is something that's best left for the mid ladder), I'd rather use legit cores with legit synergy.

252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-A Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Sableye: 144-170 (47.5 - 56.1%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
^ya foul play obviously kos you back, its not a good matchup. But you have to realize, this is stall's best deo-a answer, yes ho-oh is a thing but if you need to account for it more than sableye its not hard to slap on rock slide instead. If your best answer gets 2HKO'd on the switchin, that's not good. If you see your opp has a sab in preview why would you lead deo-a in the first place, save it for later >_>.
??????????????
Ho oh, Lugia, P dong, def P ogre, Def Yveltal... Deo A loses to more stall mons than it threatens. Actually, I can't think of a single "must-have-in-a-stall-team" mon that Deo A threatens.
And ice beam on Deo A in AG??

No, it doesn't. At least 80% of the mons lose to one of its two sets (sash and life orb). Before you say it, yes, I realize you don't have both at once. But they don't know that until you drop an attack. If they espeed your sashed deo-a, rip ekiller and deo-a already pulled its weight. If they go to sab on the lo ice beam, goodbye only check. Not to mention the ridiculous coverage this things gets, so if your team is weak to any particular mon chances are deo-a can hit it.
I'm sorry, are we talking about this same mon here?
If you're going for sash, Taunt and Stealth rock are an absolute necessity. Psycho boost is standard stab, which leaves you with one slot for coverage. So much for "insane coverage"
I can't start with LO Deo A again, it baffles me to that LO deo a is actually being considered as a very viable set in AG. If you actually think LO Deo A is easy to slap on teams/super swell at breaking through teams in AG, I have absolutely nothing to say.

Really? What's setting up on it?
-2 252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 195-230 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO
68 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-A Extreme Speed vs. 184 HP / 28 Def Xerneas: 133-157 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 38% chance to 3HKO
Just an example that it still hits hard. Don't forget just about all deo-a sets run mixed, so most things drop to whatever side of your attack didn't drop.
You do realise that even off of that example, Xerneas comes off with a Geo set up and kills? Not to mention we're talking about the most easy-to-kill Mon in the game (LO, not sash), which just can be brushed aside without needing to be set up on. We have 1-3 e speed killers per team high ladder and you're actually talking about promoting LO dipshit as a set?

I'd also like to know what changed to make deo-a worse. From what I can see, stall and balance is becoming more popular, which deo-a thrives on because they don't typically carry much priority. You just spouted a lot of "facts" about it, but nothing has actually changed to make it worse and you want it to drop 3 subranks? That's not how it should work.
Um.. The fact that it doesn't deserve to be in the same rank as Skarmory, Dragonceus, Rockceus and MMX? The fact that it is basically mediocre at everything it does and no one has ever done well with it? Let alone do well, when was the last time you saw someone use a Deo A and hit top 10 (while the ladder was still active) ? The fact that there are at least 5 better leads for HO than LeadSash Deo A and innumerable better wallbreakers than LO Deo A? The fact that you can't give me one single good reason to ignore the fact that it is the frailest. Mon. Of. All. Time. ?
I could go on, but there is not one single good reason for this to be ranked so high.

On the topic of unranked > ranked noms: in my opinion they shouldn't be considered until you can show us at least one viable team where that mon is the optimal choice. If that can't be done, then it isn't worth it to rank a mon, because this is a resource for new players and if the best can't build with it how could they? Afaik Forre is completely outclassed by other suicide leads, but hey, if you show me a team and some replays showcasing Forre I'll happily reconsider.

I peaked with Forretress like yesterday.... There are better leads, yeah, but none of them provide Tspikes + Rocks as efficiently as Forretress does. It beats 2 of the 3 viable bouncers and aids Mgar immensely at breaking teams. Tspikes, in general, is brilliant and Forretress is one of the only few Tspikes user aside from Cloyster that does a good job vs Magic bouncers (aside from Msab). Why do I use it over Cloyster/Scoli (I won't in 9/10 teams) ? But if I do, I use it because Scoli, fails to do anything vs any of the bouncers, whereas Cloyster, while the best tspikes setter imo, will quite often be limited to doing nothing other than setting up one layer of tspikes. Also, both of them miss out on the rocks, whereas custap allows forretress to set up both, which saves me a spot for a rock setter. I'm going to assume that being exclusively nice at doing these things should allow it to fit in a rank that has Grassceus and Liepard in it (And Darkceus is C-).

on the role compendium, Mega Rayquaza is listed as a Choice Specs user...could it be that it got mixed up with normal Rayquaza instead?

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
on the role compendium, Mega Rayquaza is listed as a Choice Specs user...could it be that it got mixed up with normal Rayquaza instead?
No, Choice Specs Mega Rayquaza is an actual set that OHKOs the majority of the metagame and breaks every mon except Lugia and Fairy Arceus. It's a niche set, but it does get a job done.

However, I need to update the role compendium with Zard's updated one I just keep forgetting.

Nominating
Unranked -> D

Trevenant can sometimes destroy whole teams with the right support. That support has to be really heavy, however that's just why D rank seems fitting. The PP stall set has low risk if everything got setup properly, but setting up is the hard part. After that you just have to wait :P. The set is nasty and mean, but it let's you win games quite alot and I think that alone is a reason enough that this spooky tree needs to be ranked.
Trevenant @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 240 HP / 48 Def / 44 SpD / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Protect
- Ingrain
- Block

This set requires at least an Aqua Ring + Baton Pass pokémon.

Last edited:
Nominating
Unranked -> D

Trevenant can sometimes destroy whole teams with the right support. That support has to be really heavy, however that's just why D rank seems fitting. The PP stall set has low risk if everything got setup properly, but setting up is the hard part. After that you just have to wait :P. The set is nasty and mean, but it let's you win games quite alot and I think that alone is a reason enough that this spooky tree needs to be ranked.
Trevenant @ Leppa Berry
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Ingrain
- Block

Why would you do this to yourself?

dragonite drake

i go by zanglooser on ps
Nominating
Unranked -> D

Trevenant @ Leppa Berry
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Ingrain
- Block

i disagree with the nomination, this tree cannot pp stall that very well. first it is very frail, then it is also slow. it also lacks relaible recovery. if you want a pp stall mon here is a better one

Slowbro @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Block
- Slack Off
- Recycle
- heal pulse Substitute
But this is also unvaible tbh, so dont use it unless you want to have some fun lol

Nominating
Unranked -> D

Trevenant @ Leppa Berry
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Ingrain
- Block

i disagree with the nomination, this tree cannot pp stall that very well. first it is very frail, then it is also slow. it also lacks relaible recovery. if you want a pp stall mon here is a better one

Slowbro @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Block
- Slack Off
- Recycle
- heal pulse Substitute
But this is also unvaible tbh, so dont use it unless you want to have some fun lol
The only legit PP stallers are Giratina and Gothilelle. Maybe you could make a sub seeder like shaymin work, but that still leaves the question of why you woul bother. Slo sub seeders are forced to.constantly sub, thus becoming compote passive setup bait (+6/+6 MRay at full hp really is real! Well it wasn't, but now it is), while fast ones are weak to regular attack->priority, otherwise known as ekiller. AG is far too offensive for this to ever be good, seeing as this is even more passive than toxic stall.
Hunter said it really well, and it applies to both of these- why would you do this to yourself?

dragonite drake

i go by zanglooser on ps
The only legit PP stallers are Giratina and Gothilelle. Maybe you could make a sub seeder like shaymin work, but that still leaves the question of why you woul bother. Slo sub seeders are forced to.constantly sub, thus becoming compote passive setup bait (+6/+6 MRay at full hp really is real! Well it wasn't, but now it is), while fast ones are weak to regular attack->priority, otherwise known as ekiller. AG is far too offensive for this to ever be good, seeing as this is even more passive than toxic stall.
Hunter said it really well, and it applies to both of these- why would you do this to yourself?
i agree with you completely, as i said in the post it isnt even viable. how is giratina a pp stall mon btw?

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Viability Updates Post: May 18th, 2016

Code:
Arceus-Ground: A to A-
Arceus-Poison: C+ to B-
Arceus-Water: A- to A
Forretress: Unranked to D
Genesect: B- to C+
Groudon: C+ to B-
Jirachi: C to C+
Individual Votes

Arceus-Ghost
A+ to A
GunnerRohan: Yes
HunterStorm: No
Josh: Yes
Megazard: No
Zangooser: No
Final Verdict: Staying A+ (40% Support)

Arceus-Ground
A to A-
HunterStorm: Yes
Final Verdict: A to A- (60% Support)

Arceus-Poison
C+ to B-
GunnerRohan: C+ is good.
Megazard: Yes
Zangooser: Yes
Final Verdict: C+ to B- (80% Support)

Arceus-Water
A- to A
Final Verdict: A- to A (80% Support)

Deoxys-Attack
B+ to B/B-/C+
GunnerRohan: No
Josh: Very strongly against
Megazard: Yes but B-
Zangooser: Neutral
Final Verdict: Requires further discussion, hence staying B+ (50% Support)

Forretress
Unranked to D
GunnerRohan: Why not?
Josh: No, f**k off.
Megazard: Lol (Previous arguments indicate against).
Final Verdict: Unranked to D (60% Support)

Genesect
B- to C+/C
GunnerRohan: C+
Megazard: C
Zangooser: C+
Final Verdict: B- to C+ (100% Support)

Groudon
C+ to B-
Megazard: (Didn't partake in voting.)
Final Verdict: C+ to B- (100% Support)

Groudon-Primal
S to A+
GunnerRohan: Neither Xern or PDon should drop.
Josh: Yes if we drop Xerneas as well.
Megazard: Very strongly against.
Zangooser: Don't drop PDon or Xern ffs.
Final Verdict: Staying S, however close (40%* Support)

Klefki
A+ to A
Josh: No I guess.
Final Verdict: Staying A+ (0% Support)

Jirachi
C to B-/C+
GunnerRohan: Fine where it is, C+ if necessary.
Josh: C+ is acceptable.
Megazard: C+ is fine.
Zangooser: C+
Final Verdict: C to C+ (80% Support)

Mewtwo
A- to A
Josh: Neutral
Final Verdict: Staying A- (0% Support)

Xerneas
S to A+
Josh: Should be same rank as Primal Groudon.
Final Verdict: Staying S (0% Support)​

Nominating
unranked -> D

Legit nomination this time. Aerodactyl is a nice suicide lead with a lot of tools he can work with. Its base Speed is a nice 130 making it faster than most of the Pokémon in the metagame. It should always hold a Focus Sash and use Stealth Rocks and Taunt on a suicide lead set, the other 2 moveslots are free to toy with. Moves it can use next to those 2 are Tailwind, Rock Tomb, Defog, Stone Edge, Double-Edge, Roar/Whirlwind, Toxic, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Bulldoze, Swagger and gimmicky ones such as Double Team, Mimic, Scary Face, Torment and Thief. This makes it a versatile and sometimes unpredictable suicide lead. You should choose moves depending on the team you're using, but remember you have alot of choices. It can defeat Deoxys-Speed leads using Rock Tomb or Bulldoze with Defog, and prevent Rapid Spin Pokémon from spinning with Double-Edge, etc. The Ability you should run is up to you, but I prefer Pressure on most sets. The versatility of this Pokémon makes me think it is worth a D rank, so please actually consider this.

dragonite drake

i go by zanglooser on ps
leaving my trap spam team for sample here
Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Perish Song

Wobbuffet (M) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Mirror Coat
- Encore

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 25 SpD
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
- Aromatherapy
- Thunder

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Roar
- Recover
- Defog

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Volt Switch
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk

Why is Whimsicott in D rank?
IT can taunt things and it can be a darkrai lure and the set up lure
It can 2hKO M-ray upon switching too
252 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 218-260 (62.1 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Why is Whimsicott in D rank?
IT can taunt things and it can be a darkrai lure and the set up lure
It can 2hKO M-ray upon switching too
252 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 218-260 (62.1 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Almost everything 2hko's Rayquaza upon switching in AG, There are way better Darkrai checks and Taunters out there. It's only niche is subseeding pretty much.

The only direction Whimsicott is going from D is downwards.
I would like to remind everyone not to make noms which are outrageously silly. If you feel like a mon has legitimate viability (and not a cute little set you just love using on all your teams), I suggest you talk about it in the AG room first. Making noms is encouraged, provided they have some substantial backing.

Alright. I'd like to support Deoxys-A from not dropping.
Recently, in the CCAT I believe, or some AG thread, I read about this set featuring Choice Specs Deo-A.
All creds to the guy who made that set BTW, but I tried out his set, made a completely new team, and after about 15-20 games with this new team, I have gained 200+ rating points and plopped myself at a comfortable #9 with a very respectable GXE at 91.9%.
Deoxys-A is an absolute monster. This thing OHKOS Arceus without rocks.
Specs Psycho Boost, my gosh.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 412-486 (92.7 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
And, if you land hazards, almost always rocks, this thing will rip apart teams.
Yes, there's priority like Espeed on Arc/Ray and Sucker Punch on Yvletal, and even pokemon who outspeed it, but the fact of the matter is, this thing will rip apart unsuspecting players.
I dont know the regular Deo-A set, but I guess they expect hazards, magic coat, or just some regular hit that they can brush off.
But specs Deo-A takes care of all that with near-perfect coverage and insane power,
Psycho Boost for literally anything.
Ice Beam OHKOS Yvletal and considering they usually expect focus sash, they will be using Toxic or Foul play or something that isn't sucker punch. 252+ SpA Choice Specs Deoxys-A Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 420-496 (106.8 - 126.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
SuperPower for Darkrai especially and to some extent Blissey and Chansey. Superpower OHKOS Darkrai 0 Atk Deoxys-A Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Darkrai: 314-370 (111.7 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Extreme Speed for killing off weak Arc/Ray since you outspeed both.
Yes, Deo-A might get screwed off in one hit, but it's hit and run for a reason. Remember, most lead Arc won't be instantly attacking your Deo-A with ESpeed to pick it off.
Don't believe me? Here's some replays.
PS: I didn't save that many but take my word that I have killed so many lead Primal Don and Arceus with this. It literally is hilarious and so worth it.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-376416804 VS PurpleSpam. I played this guy three times today. Beat him all 3 times with this team. This is the last time we fought, where Deo-A cleaned through his team like a hot knife through butter.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-376388128 2nd battle vs Purple
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-375999889 A nice game where Deo-A picks off lead Arc. So many of these examples happened, especially when Deo-A just OHKOS them.

I know the vote was for Deo-A not to drop, but it was a close vote, and Deo-A does not deserve to drop anywhere from B+.

Last edited:

dragonite drake

i go by zanglooser on ps
IDK why people are noming non-sash deo-a.
Deoxys-A is an absolute monster. This thing OHKOS Arceus without rocks.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 412-486 (92.7 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
^doesnt OHKO bulkeus relaibly, and if it is non bulkeus it is likely to carry espeed which will instantly kill it.
Yes, there's priority like Espeed on Arc/Ray and Sucker Punch on Yvletal, and even pokemon who outspeed it, but the fact of the matter is, this thing will rip apart unsuspecting players.
uh what do you mean my this, that you have a priority move but since you dont think deo-a has specs you will not use the priority move? wtf

But specs Deo-A takes care of all that with near-perfect coverage and insane power
no, just no. idk what moveset you are running, but with psycho boost+icebeam you are wlled by steel types, and if you say fmiss, then if deo-a misses then deo-a's game will end.

I didn't save that many but take my word that I have killed so many lead Primal Ogres and Arceus with this
Ah, 2 questions, lead pogre? and OHKO pogre?
252+ SpA Choice Specs Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 319-376 (83 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
cant even KO the offensive variant.

purplespam match 3, he blundered, who tf switches xern into deo-a regular sash finishes it off with psychobost+espeed, and it seems like purples team is weak to deo a

also it turns into complete setup fodder for dengerous mons after stat drops, or you can just switch to the omnipresent darkrai and ygod on a predicted psycho boost.

deo-a deserves B- for its sash set, not a specs set, which is not even vaible.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Wanted to comment that I've revamped the Sample Teams to distinguish by playstyle, along with this I've removed some of the teams that evidently weren't as effective as the others, sorry if that was you. That being said, it would be nice to have a diverse selection of samples, and by extension just more in general however I'm denying the last few because they have some notable flaws. Drake just autoloses to Mega Rayquaza after a Dragon Dance, dsm77773's glalie team is too hax reliant, same applies to Quantum's team but that also has some notable flaws such as mixing status and just general eh-ness (I'm sorry, I'm not trying to critique your team; it's just unreliable).

Also I agree that discussion is needed on Deoxys-Attack, but I don't agree with the arguments at all. I mean Specs Deo-A isn't going to OHKO everything Drake, nothing can. Also ESpeed Bulkceus is roflable. Also Pach, relying on Arceus not to ESpeed is quite flawed because Deo-A can OHKO on lead sash sets with Superpower anyway ?_?

PachChomp That was me in the ladder thread, I have a few more replays there too. I eventually peaked at #2 with a team with my Specs Deo-A team, so I'd say it's pretty solid. TBolt > Ice Beam for better coverage though imo, now you can kill Skarm/Arceus-Water/Primal Kyogre with a bit of residual damage without lowering your SpA and also hit Klefki neutrally.

^doesnt OHKO bulkeus relaibly, and if it is non bulkeus it is likely to carry espeed which will instantly kill it.
I'm assuming you have basic knowledge about the meta and what people are using though. If your opponent carries 3+ Arceus and leads with one, there's a pretty good chance it's a bulky lead set and you can safely blast it with Psycho Boost, though the AG playerbase isn't huge so keep in mind what people use. If it's 1-2 you don't leave Deoxys-A on Arceus without scouting its set, duh lol. Psycho Boost is not a guaranteed OHKO but getting it down to %7 at the beginning of the match is as good as killing it and most bulky ones don't attack turn 1 anyway so you can 2HKO it. Later in the game you should have hazards or residual damage to get the KO.

no, just no. idk what moveset you are running, but with psycho boost+icebeam you are wlled by steel types, and if you say fmiss, then if deo-a misses then deo-a's game will end.
Which steels? Only Arceus-Steel can switch in if you run 252/252+ Def, though Superpower does 41.4 - 49% and Psycho Boost does 46.3 - 54.7% to so you need to be pretty healthy. If you run HP + Speed you're 2HKOd:

4 Atk Deoxys-A Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Steel: 248-292 (55.9 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 4 Atk Deoxys-A Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Steel: 166-196 (37.4 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Ferrothorn is 2HKOd by Superpower and Psycho Boost depending on which defense it invests in, and I'm not even calcing Skarm lol:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 212-249 (60.2 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Deoxys-A Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 230-272 (65.3 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

also it turns into complete setup fodder for dengerous mons after stat drops, or you can just switch to the omnipresent darkrai and ygod on a predicted psycho boost.
It is forced out after using Psycho Boost once, but so are a lot of choiced mons, and getting forced out after killing or crippling something doesn't make them any less viable. And Yveltal?

252+ SpA Choice Specs Deoxys-A Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Yveltal: 418-492 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Also lol Darkrai:
4 Atk Deoxys-A Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Darkrai: 316-372 (112.4 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And that's like the whole point, stay in and lose your Primal Groudon or CM Arceus or whatever? Or go to Yveltal and risk losing your Extremekiller/Megaray check? Deo-A is only comparable to CB Megaray in its wallbreaking potential and immediate power imo.

deo-a deserves B- for its sash set, not a specs set, which is not even vaible.
Eh, IMO Deo-A is fine in B+ but I don't have a strong opinion so I'll leave the ranking arguments to others after they playtest it, but specs is sure as hell a viable set.

Last edited:

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
PachChomp
And that's like the whole point, stay in and lose your Primal Groudon or CM Arceus or whatever? Or go to Yveltal and risk losing your Extremekiller/Megaray check? Deo-A is only comparable to CB Megaray in its wallbreaking potential and immediate power imo.
You're right about immediate power but not wallbreaking potential overall. The difference is Rayquaza's STAB is incredibly spammable, not even Skarmory can shrug it off, but with Psycho Boost you have to consider both the SpA drop and the Pokemon immune to it. Deoxys often has to play mind games when it can't switch moves, which can go either way so it's not fair to say it's as reliable a wallbreaker as MRay. I'm pretty neutral on Deoxys's placement as a whole, it's certainly threatening but it struggles against teams with multiple ESpeed users (quite common) and usually loses momentum when it is forced to switch out against an ESpeed user (not that this can't be worked around, but it's something to consider).

Anyways, I've also got a team I'd like to submit for the sample teams. I included a little description, I think a short description for each team would help newer players understand the team they're working with, even if it's just a few sentences. Totally your call though.

A SHEEP (Arceus) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Magic Coat
- Swords Dance

Possibly a Trap (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Balll / Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Protect / Destiny Bond

A SHEEP (Arceus) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Bambi on LSD (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
EVs: 160 HP / 36 Def / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

It's All OGRE Now (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
Timid Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Sleep Talk

Wannahockalugia (Lugia) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Whirlwind
- Roost

This is a team I built some time ago and peaked with recently, it's a pretty simple team and has a reasonable answer for most threats in the metagame. The team is built around two setup sweepers, GeoXern and EKiller, with Mega Gengar and Primal Kyogre to trap or break down checks to the two like Ho-Oh, Lugia, PDon or Yveltal. A defensive backbone of Substitute Lugia and Rocky Helmet Bulkceus ensure the team has something to fall back on if the opponent sets up and allows some degree of pivoting bewteen various offensive mons. FastOgre and Helmet Arceus catch quite a lot of people off guard so keep that in mind when playing (for example POgre outspeeds Rayquaza before Mega evolution). The Gengar set can be switched around with little effect on the team, it's mostly personal preference that matters when picking between combinations of moves, the set I run is Sludge Wave/Shadow Ball/Taunt/Destiny Bond, but Protect is often something I wish I had using that set and it requires you to play much more carefully because you can't Mega as safely (or scout coverage). The team does have some notable threats, Xerneas is generally tough to deal with but Gengar puts pressure on it and Lugia can phase it out, against Ingrain Xern you kind of lose once it sets up. Stall Shed Shell Blissey is annoying and require Gengar, Ekiller and Xerneas to be played carefully.

Last edited:

Chloe

NUPL Champion
You're right about immediate power but not wallbreaking potential overall. The difference is Rayquaza's STAB is incredibly spammable, not even Skarmory can shrug it off, but with Psycho Boost you have to consider both the SpA drop and the Pokemon immune to it. Deoxys often has to play mind games when it can't switch moves, which can go either way so it's not fair to say it's as reliable a wallbreaker as MRay. I'm pretty neutral on Deoxys's placement as a whole, it's certainly threatening but it struggles against teams with multiple ESpeed users (quite common) and usually loses momentum when it is forced to switch out against an ESpeed user (not that this can't be worked around, but it's something to consider).

Anyways, I've also got a team I'd like to submit for the sample teams. I included a little description, I think a short description for each team would help newer players understand the team they're working with, even if it's just a few sentences. Totally your call though.

A SHEEP (Arceus) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Magic Coat
- Swords Dance

Possibly a Trap (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Balll / Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Protect / Destiny Bond

A SHEEP (Arceus) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Bambi on LSD (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
EVs: 160 HP / 36 Def / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

It's All OGRE Now (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
Timid Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Sleep Talk

Wannahockalugia (Lugia) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Whirlwind
- Roost

This is a team I built some time ago and peaked with recently, it's a pretty simple team and has a reasonable answer for most threats in the metagame. The team is built around two setup sweepers, GeoXern and EKiller, with Mega Gengar and Primal Kyogre to trap or break down checks to the two like Ho-Oh, Lugia, PDon or Yveltal. A defensive backbone of Substitute Lugia and Rocky Helmet Bulkceus ensure the team has something to fall back on if the opponent sets up and allows some degree of pivoting bewteen various offensive mons. FastOgre and Helmet Arceus catch quite a lot of people off guard so keep that in mind when playing (for example POgre outspeeds Rayquaza before Mega evolution). The Gengar set can be switched around with little effect on the team, it's mostly personal preference that matters when picking between combinations of moves, the set I run is Sludge Wave/Shadow Ball/Taunt/Destiny Bond, but Protect is often something I wish I had using that set and it requires you to play much more carefully because you can't Mega as safely (or scout coverage). The team does have some notable threats, Xerneas is generally tough to deal with but Gengar puts pressure on it and Lugia can phase it out, against Ingrain Xern you kind of lose once it sets up. Stall Shed Shell Blissey is annoying and require Gengar, Ekiller and Xerneas to be played carefully.
Implemented. I was actually planning on getting descriptions for the teams listed a while back, but it completely slipped my mind.

Nominating
unranked -> D

Legit nomination this time. Aerodactyl is a nice suicide lead with a lot of tools he can work with. Its base Speed is a nice 130 making it faster than most of the Pokémon in the metagame. It should always hold a Focus Sash and use Stealth Rocks and Taunt on a suicide lead set, the other 2 moveslots are free to toy with. Moves it can use next to those 2 are Tailwind, Rock Tomb, Defog, Stone Edge, Double-Edge, Roar/Whirlwind, Toxic, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Bulldoze, Swagger and gimmicky ones such as Double Team, Mimic, Scary Face, Torment and Thief. This makes it a versatile and sometimes unpredictable suicide lead. You should choose moves depending on the team you're using, but remember you have alot of choices. It can defeat Deoxys-Speed leads using Rock Tomb or Bulldoze with Defog, and prevent Rapid Spin Pokémon from spinning with Double-Edge, etc. The Ability you should run is up to you, but I prefer Pressure on most sets. The versatility of this Pokémon makes me think it is worth a D rank, so please actually consider this.
I'd probably support this, haven't really thought about it too much; however, is the mega forme good enough to be reranked as well? Its attack, speed and bulk are boosted while gaining a much nicer offensive ability; however it uses up a mega slot and can't hold an item. Is this a fair trade, or is the regular forme just much better in the Anything Goes metagame due to fast offensive threats that can easily break through it without a sash equipped. Maybe Pressure can come in handy against Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire and Arceus's Extreme Speed, with the added resistance of both. If we look at the Ubers metagame (My objective isn't to compare the two metagames, don't scream at me) Mega Aerodactyl is preferred due to its offensive utility although I can 100% understand why this would be different in AG. Discuss.

Nominating
Unranked -> C

Mega Tyranitar, what can I say... Well, this thing is a beast! Mega Tyranitar isn't on the viability rankings, and yet, this thing is better than a whole bunch of them that are actually ranked. Don't come with replies saying Tyranitar is already on there, take a look again and you will see, it's Mega Evolution isn't. This Pokémon is NOT a waste of a Mega slot. With a solid 700 BST and an excellent Ability, it can sweep entire teams. Setting up a Dragon Dance isn't hard with a great 100/150/120 defensive stats and Sand Stream, although with the Primals and Mega Rayquaza the Ability will become useless. Where it really shines however, is killing things. Being able to kill top tier threats at +1 only, makes it a pretty good late game sweeper. Unlike Mega Rayquaza, it doesn't suffer from Defense drops and being vulnerable to ExtremeSpeed. This makes it one of the best Hyper Offense breakers out there. Of course this Pokémon has flaws. It gets checked pretty hard by Primal Groudon and it doesn't like facing Klefki. It has trouble killing Xerneas, but coverage for that or being at +2 deals with the problem. It also has problems with bulky Arceus sets. Though looking at the bigger picture, this is most efficient against Hyper Offense.
Offensive
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 398-470 (104.4 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Rayquaza in Strong Winds: 291-343 (82.9 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 434-512 (95.1 - 112.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after sandstorm damage
+2 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 406-478 (89 - 104.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Ghost: 398-470 (104.4 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 169-201 (41.8 - 49.7%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive
252 Atk Arceus Earthquake vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 146-172 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Arceus Earthquake vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 290-342 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 86-102 (25 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 0- Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 129-152 (37.6 - 44.3%) --guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 260-308 (75.8 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza Earthquake vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 216-256 (62.9 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 254-302 (74 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 174-206 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar: 258-306 (75.2 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Earthquake vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 252-298 (73.4 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Arceus-Ghost Brick Break vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 220-260 (64.1 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Set used for Damage Calculations
Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Last edited:
Mega Lopunny - Unranked to D

Fake out revenge killing, OHKO on e killers with rocks, access to encore and a brilliant speed tier, and it's way, way better in practicality than on paper. Revenge killing Ghost types is nice. Extremely good when used with hazard stack. It's pretty impressive what this thing can do with fat mons to support it. Can OHKO Mray with Fake out + frustration, although that comes down to rolls. Encore coupled with a huge 135 base speed helps it beat close to every CM form with the right predict. Busy as a bee, and very good at doing chip damage and revenge killing, if needed. Also gets access to facade and healing wish, although I wouldn't suggest using them because of 4MSS
I've played a fair share of games with this on the ladder and it's not half bad.

Last edited:
Nominating
unranked -> D

Zapdos is a nice (Band) Rayquaza check, Defogger and Phazer. Pressure is always useful, though Static can also be used. It also is used quite frequently on Baton Pass teams because of its bulk, typing and its ability to pass Speed. It has nice Electric STABs such as Discharge and Volt Switch and great coverage moves such as Heat Wave. Like zangy said, its bae.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)