1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Apprentice Program: Round One

Discussion in 'Battling 101' started by Aeolus, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Ok, we are ready to begin round one of the new tutoring program which will last for the next 2 weeks (04/16-04/30)! If you are a NEW PLAYER and wish to get a tutor for this round all you have to do is post your profile in the following format:

Netbattle nick:
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!):
    Experience level*:
    A little about myself:
    Generation(s) I want to learn:

*You don't have to be good, just willing to learn. We are looking for people who are new to the game, so don't be shy - sign up!

The tutors will view this thread and choose their apprentices based on the generations they want to learn and their regular online hours. Once they have made a choice, they will contact me through a PM and I will keep an updated list of tutors and their apprentices. Tutors will also PM the person they have chosen to teach and set up times to meet. Apprentices are also encouraged to be proactive in searching for your tutor.

If a tutor doesn't find a match, I will begin assigning the remaining tutors to appropriate apprentices. If after all tutors have been assigned and you are still looking for one...You have the option of looking through the tutor roster in the sticky thread above and PM'ing a suitable person (one who teaches the generation you want to learn and is online during similar hours) to ask them if they will take you on as a second apprentice. It's as simple as that!!

If at any point during this round you encounter a problem with getting together with your tutor, let me know and we will work to resolve the issue.

Being that this is the first round, I'm sure there are ways to improve the process. If you have a suggestion, comment, or question, just PM me. Thanks!

Round One Tutor/Apprentice Matches:

1. cholena / thundabolt *
    2. cloud / natalie *
    3. Lexay / Balou *
    4. chaos / Exodia *
    5. Sanders / 888 *
    6. Steelicks & Jumpman16 / One *
    7. Jackal / TheMusicMan *
    8. Mekkah / shinny *
    9. Warthog / SpaceFlare
    10. husk1442 / Valo *
    11. Roy / Voodoo Doll *
    12. Loki / Dan Dan *
    13. zfs / freaktron *
    14. Cerberus /
    15. Internet Duck / DDangelo *
    16. MoP / qwertasdfg *
    17. VIL / Rosenrot *
    18. Kongler / Pocket *
    19. pokemaniac15 / shadysback321 *
    20. psychup2034 / Pressure the Great
    21. Obi2Kenobi / V is for Vespa *
    22. ToP / Drayano *
    23. Bugsy23 / MeleeMan *
    24. Justin8649 / Tmnt Boy *
    25. Noobster / Unholy *
    26. jpchato / Wappa *
    27. Aeolus / bash1010 *

Available Tutors (People you can PM if nobody contacts you): Hipno ; RicepigeonKKM ; Anomalous ; skarm ; havoc

Apprentices in need of tutors: Cye Kinomiya, pjbball04, rikku, Siphai, Zahro, Saian
  2. RicepigeonKKM

RicepigeonKKM Wait, who?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Does the whole "tutors can't tutor tutors" thing carry over to here? Say for, just a random situation, a GSC tutor knows absolutely nothing about RBY and wants a tutor.
  3. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Ok, to be clear. This program is designed for NEW players (husk and giga are not new players). Not veterans who are looking to increase their knowledge of a different generation. You are not prohibited from asking for advice from other tutors...but tutors will not be allowed to take a fellow tutor as his primary apprentice.
  4. SpaceFlare

SpaceFlare

Taken by Warthog

Netbattle nick: Swallowstar
    Time zone: GMT+8:00 (or EST+12:00)
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): 8-11 PM, 5-7 AM
    Experience level*: Tutored by Hip in RS OU and was given an RBY team by him. Pretty much better at prediction thanks to him. Starting to win more often, again thanks to him. So I got RS OU done :D.
    A little about myself: Nearly on everyday. Already in summer vacation. Might be on and off next month because I'll be having reviews for college entrance tests. And will only be on during weekends starting June because of school.
    Generation(s) I want to learn: GSC OU, RS 2v2, RS Uber,RS UU, maybe a little into RS OU team building, and a little finishing touch to my RBY.

<user> Acura </user> ,
    <user> Aeolus </user> ,
    <user> Aeroblacktyl </user> ,
    <user> Anomalous </user> ,
    <user> Black Leather Jacket </user> ,
    <user> Bugsy23 </user> ,
    <user> chaos </user> ,
    <user> cholena </user> ,
    <user> Cloggerdude </user> ,
    <user> cloud </user> ,
    <user> Council </user> ,
    <user> Giga Punch </user> ,
    <user> husk1442 </user> ,
    <user> Jackal </user> ,
    <user> Jumpman16 </user> ,
    <user> Justin8649 </user> ,
    <user> Konger </user> ,
    <user> latinoheat </user> ,
    <user> Mekkah </user> ,
    <user> Nate </user> ,
    <user> Noobster </user> ,
    <user> Obi </user> ,
    <user> pokemaniac15 </user> ,
    <user> Pokemon Professor </user> ,
    <user> Roy </user> ,
    <user> Sanders </user> ,
    <user> Sir Chris </user> ,
    <user> skarm </user> ,
    <user> Steelicks </user> ,
    <user> ToP </user> ,
    <user> Veteran In Love </user> ,
    <user> Warthog </user> ,
    <user> Yosuke </user>
  5. Valo

Valo

Assigned to husk1442

Netbattle nick: Valo
    Time zone: EST
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): I have no idea what EDT means
    Experience level*: Red, Blue, Gold, Silver
    A little about myself: Been a pokemon fan for a while, haven't played it in a long time though, stopped at Sapphire.
    Generation(s) I want to learn: Ruby/Sapphire
  6. 888

Taken by Colonel Sanders

Netbattle nick: 888 or Infiniti
    Time zone: Pacific (PST/PDT)
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): Eh, 6- 9 PM I think... (3-6 over here)
    Experience level*: know a bit, but not much...most play around with Advanced mode.
    A little about myself: Not the best battler, but willing to learn, RPs too much to be able to battle well.
    Generation(s) I want to learn: Advanced OU, Advanced UU
  7. Exodia

Exodia

Taken by chaos

Netbattle nick: Exodia
    Time zone: GMT+8:00
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): um, 6-8 am, 12-1pm, 12-1am
    Experience level*: Asked to be tutored by chaos, but unluckily was tutored for 1 session only. Still learned alot though (I'm a fast learner in all aspects of life most of the time), I'd like to 'perfect' RS OU before moving on to RBY OU
    A little about myself: I'm on regularly, and still I can't seem to predict when I'm not confident that the team is very good... Also can only be on weekends and Friday afternoons/evenings for 1-2 hours due to school.
    Generation(s) I want to learn: RS OU primarily, then RBY OU.
  8. Voodoo Doll

Voodoo Doll

This is me signing up again.

Assigned to Roy

Netbattle nick: Voodoo Doll
    Time zone: PCT
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): 3:30 pm to 3:00 am.
    Experience level*: I can hold my own against some, I suppose. I only really lack better prediction skills, which is my major flaw.
    A little about myself: I learn rather quickly, for what its worth. I also want to have something of a specialization in defensive tactics.
    Generation(s) I want to learn: Advanced OU

I can never seem to find MoP anywhere so I'm signing up again to be thrown into the hat of names.
  9. Dan Dan

Dan Dan

Assigned to Loki

Netbattle nick: Dan Dan
    Time zone: GMT
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): 12:00pm - 7:00pm most nights
    Experience level: I can build a team, but cant spot weaknesses, set EVs well, or play confident enough.
    A little about myself: Standard 17 yr old english kid
    Generation(s) I want to learn: RS OU, RS UU, GSC OU, 2v2
  10. ThundaBolt

ThundaBolt

Taken by cholena

Netbattle nick: Thunda, Matlock
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): 12:30pm - 5pm (4:30pm - 9:00pm in GMT)
    Experience level: After the first tutoring thing I not bad at RBY, ive played Advance for a While but im not good.
    A little about myself: I live ine England and I like playing Football (Soccer), Tennis and Cricket. I also like listening to Music.
    Generation(s) I want to learn: RS OU, I also need help making a good team.
  11. freaktron

freaktron

Assigned to zfs

Netbattle Nick: freaktron
    Regular Online Hours: 4:00-5:00 PM and 8:00-9:00 PM on weekdays, I am usually on on weekends, I usually shouldn't be hard to find.
    Experience Level: RS Ubers is probably where I excel most, and RS UU decently.
    A little about myself: I got NB back in September. Back then I never even knew what I was doing there, but now I get the aspect of NB. I'm always trying to look for the right things to use. Oh, one more thing-you don't want to mess with me on servers because I get really annoyed a lot.
    Generations I want to learn: RS 200 I really would like to learn. I could use a lot more help with RBY also. But most importantly, RS Standard OU. I fucking suck at that.
  12. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Question: What happened to the thing going on before? iirc I had Thunda and ShinySandslash then for RBY and I helped them with it.
  13. natalie

natalie property of alex

Taken by cloud

Netbattle nick: eski (changed password cannot remember old one and therefore natalie is inaccessible) always changing, but i am easily recognisable due to the stupid things i type and random outbursts of ilu cloud.
    Time zone: i live in england (gmt?)
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): pretty much every day after work (i get home at 6:30PM) because i have nothing better to do during the week. i am on a lot and usually until 3 or 4 in the morning when i really should be sleeping. normally on irc too when i am on netbattle so just type the words natalie, nat, celeri, attention whore or bitch and my irc will beep loudly, making me come back to my computer even if i am in the garden.
    Experience level*: not bad i think, i am learning. i have a pretty good knowledge of type matchups now, but special abilities etc not so much. i am studying the datadex when i get bored. have been since i tried to hypnosis et's noctowl. i gamble too much with moves like dragon dance and swords dance because it excites me. i've been netbattling for just over a month now. i've found that a good technique is trickery and acting dumb, like typing "PLEASE HIT ROCK BLAST please please please" when i have no intention of using rock blast. it works. my luck is great most of the time too. except when cloud gives me advice.
    A little about myself: as if i don't talk about myself too much already
    Generation(s) I want to learn: advance. i yearn to use gsc pokemon though because i like the graphics and i'm kinda sick of seeing the usual sal ttar meta milo. even though all four of those are in my team.
  14. Chaasrainer

Chaasrainer

Taken by Lexay

Netbattle nick: Balou.
    Timezone: GMT +2
    Regular online hours: Mostly from 8am to 11am and then 3pm to 5.30pm
    Experience level: I think i've learned something new lately, but I still kind of suck with EVs and some movesets. I've been playing nb for 4 months or so now.
    A little bit of myself: Well I'm Finnish and I like playing soccer and pokemon.
    Generation(s) I want to learn: Advance OU
  15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan

Taken by Jackal

Netbattle Nick: Some variation of TheMusicMan (meaning stuff like TheMetroMan is me)
    Regular online hours: I'm in EDT, so yeah... im in college so im usually on late at night and sometimes during the day on tuesday thursday and friday
    Experience level: I play GSC mostly, so I know what im doing somewhat there... I've been playing ADV more lately, and have gotten better, but I still need major help.
    A little about myself: I'm a music major and the whitest white boy you'll ever meet... nuff said.
    Generations I want to learn: RS OU, RS Ubers, GSC UU
  16. Warthog

Warthog
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

nothing is going to stop you from giving them advice still but my guess is that those are no longer 'official'.

posting here to also say that I may not be around anymore on NB, because of my connection being gone, but that doesnt mean I cant still give advice via pm here. Most likely Ill be gettiny my connection back by the weekend anyways but Im always glad to help even if I cant be around.
  17. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag

Thunda already has a tutor for this round, but if you'd like to continue with ShinySandslash...that's fine.
  18. Xiaohaha

Xiaohaha

Assigned to Cerberus

Netbattle nick: Xiaohaha
    Time zone: Eastern Time ( U.S., Canada )
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): What's EDT? I'm on 4~6:30 PM on my time.
    Experience level*: I suck, I know waters counters metagross because I've heard it on the forums but I don't know why.
    A little about myself: I don't know... I like pie I guess?
    Generation(s) I want to learn: Advanced OU.
  19. Sanders

Sanders
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

EDT is EST that uses Daylight Savings. So if your state does Daylight Savings you're EDT!
  20. DDangelo

DDangelo

Assigned to Internet Duck (Pokemon Professor)

Netbattle nick: D_DAngelo
    Time zone: EDT
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): From 4-9 PM weekdays, All day Saturdays, 11AM-ish to 7PM Sundays.
    Experience level*: Maybe 2 or 3 months on Netbattle, I think I get the basic idea, but I have prediction issues and there's just something i'm missing.
    A little about myself: I stomp n00bs and lose to everyone else, I'm a quick study, a talkative and friendly guy, I absolutely hate the totally standard, and I play CoH and Call of Duty when not on Smogon, and I like to swim and play with my little brothers when not on the internet.
    Generation(s) I want to learn: RS OU/UU, RBY. I especially need help with prediction and team building/EVing on my own. (I use the smogondex for it ATM.)
  21. qwertasdfg

qwertasdfg

Assigned to MoP

Netbattle nick: qwertasdfg
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): weekdays around 7-9pm. for weekends it depends because if I'm busy then I probably won't play much.
    Experience level*: Not much. I'm a pretty fast learner. I've only been on Netbattle for 2 weeks but I've learned a lot from reading the forums and stuff. I would like to work on team making and predicting.
    A little about myself: I live in Boston and I enjoy listening to music. Family Guy is the best show.
    Generation(s) I want to learn: Advanced OU and Advanced UU i guess
  22. Pax Deorum

Pax Deorum

Assigned to Veteran in Love

Netbattle nick: Pax Deorum
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): 10am-7pm EST (3pm-midnight GMT)
    Experience level*: Advanced UU and NU for more than a year
    A little about myself: I live on a planet called earth
    Generation(s) I want to learn: G/S/C generation, preferably UU. A metagame never explored by me.
  23. shinny

shinny

Taken by Mekkah

Netbattle nick:shinny
    Time zone:GMT
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): 6pm-10pm GMT
    Experience level*:i play pokemon since RBY
    A little about myself:someone who wants to learn:)
    Generation(s) I want to learn:Full advance OU, UU and uber
  24. One

One

Taken by Steelicks & Assigned to Jumpman16

Netbattle nick: One or Dag
    Time Zone: Central Time or GMT-6
    Regular online hours: Anywhere from 5:00 to 11:00 Eastern Time but im not always on constantly like i might get off for ahwile then back on later
    Experience Level: I joined may 2005 so almost a year of nb
    About Me: Im pretty easy to get along with as long as you dont act like an ass im a decent battler i guess
    Generations: Anything but all i request is OU:)
  25. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Assigned to Kongler

Netbattle nick: Lugh
    Time zone: GMT -5
    Regular Online Hours (in EDT!!!!): 10 PM - 11 PM (however, can extend to 12 AM)
    Experience level*: Has been on NB since 2001; play mostly 386
    A little about myself: Since I am in the busiest years of my high school life, I may probably be on NB only on Fridays and Saturdays. But since the last week of April is a break, I will probably be online regularly - as long as my schedule allows it.
    Generation(s) I want to learn: GSC for now =]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)