Arceus-Fairy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

(Sprite courtesy of Hugendugen)

Name: Arceus-Fairy
Type: Fairy
Abilities: Multitype
Base Stats: 120 / 120 / 120 / 120 / 120 / 120
Movepool: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/arceus-normal/moves
Stats and movepool unconfirmed
General Description

Xerneas may be the new, exciting Fairy type everyone is excited about, but we can't count out this soon to be released beast! Fairy Arceus has a lot more bulk than Xerneas, and access to reliable recovery to set it apart. Because of this, I think Fairy Arceus is going to be the go to Fairy for slower Calm Mind sets, and more defensive sets.

Support wise, it gets Will-O-Wisp, which sounds pretty nice for some Steels who may want to switch-in. It also gets the usual Arceus tools like Defog, Stealth Rock, Roar, etc.

As for the Calm Mind set, well, Fairy is a really kick ass offensive typing. However, since it'll probably run Recover, it may actually have coverage issues because of Ho-Oh. I'm thinking the final move will either have to be Focus Blast to hit Steels, or Thunderbolt for Ho-Oh. I'm sorta leaning towards Thunderbolt because with Defog, Ho-Oh is going to be a LOT harder to take down, but I want to hear what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Arceus-Fairy looks to be a major threat this generation. With key resistances to Fighting, Dark, and Bug, as well as a Dragon immunity and only two weaknesses, FairyCeus can threaten a wide range of Ubers and can fill both a supportive and sweeping role. Lets see some sets (EVs tbd depending on how speed teirs shake out):

Monoattacking
Arceus @ Pixie Plate
Trait: Multitype
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Substitute/Refresh/Will-o-Wisp
-Judgement

Fairy gets great coverage in Ubers, and as a result Fairyceus can run an excellent mono-attacking set. This set is standard fare for formes such as Water and Dark; however Fairyceus has an advantage of being immune to the STAB Dragon moves of many Ubers, allowing easier set-up. Substitute, Refesh, and the newly buffed Will-O-Wisp all serve a purpose to shield Fairyceus from status and Leech Seed, heal status, and cripple physical attackers respectively. This set should run maximum HP and a lot of Defensive EVs, although speed may be beneficial as well.

The set is destroyed by Gyro Ball Ferrothorn, Scizor, Steel-Arceus, Poison-Arceus, Fire-Arceus, Iron Head Genesect, Ho-oh, and Heatran. Good partners thus include something that can check these Pokémon, such as a Heatran of your own or Giratina-O.

Offensive Calm Mind
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock/ Thunder/ Recover
-Fire Blast/Focus Blast
-Judgement

With this set, Fairyceus can easily destroy the Pokémon that wall it's STAB. After a single calm mind, most Steel-types are roasted by Fire Blast, while Ho-oh and Arceus-Poison can be KO'd with Psyshock. This set still struggles against fast users of Steel moves like Scizor, Mega Lucario, and Scarf Genesect. Ho-oh also does well if Psyshock is used, and Heatran walls the set if Fire Blast is used over Focus Blast.

Support
-Recover
-Defog / Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
-Stealth Rock / Stone Edge / Thunder Wave
-Judgement

Like most Arceus formes, Fairy Arceus can run a great support set that can check Uber threats like Rayquazza, Giratina and Darkrai. Recover is necessary for recovery, and Judgement to give an offensive presence. The other two moves are a matter of what your team needs, but include Defog to clear hazards, Toxic to cripple opposing Arceus formes, Stealth Rock, Stone Edge for Ho-oh, and Thunder Wave

This set should probably be EV'd specially defensively.

Other notable options:
A Swords Dance set will be very viable if Arceus ends up getting Play Rough, but as of now it is outclassed. Most other options are done better by other Arceus formes.

Also these sets seem a little bit jankey to me, so obviously if you have better ideas please post and I'll add them to the OP

Last edited by a moderator:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
IMO Fairy-Arceus should be used primarily for a supporting role, as I think Xerneas will simply be a lot better with Geomancy.

Anyway on the support set I'm not sure if you really want Defog, Arceus doesn't really want to run it with Stealth Rock and it's only really helpful if you NEED Ho-Oh right away.

IMO Fairy-Arceus should be used primarily for a supporting role, as I think Xerneas will simply be a lot better with Geomancy.

Anyway on the support set I'm not sure if you really want Defog, Arceus doesn't really want to run it with Stealth Rock and it's only really helpful if you NEED Ho-Oh right away.
I'm inclined to agree with your Xerneas remark concerning Geomancy, but the fact that you have to wait a turn to even enjoy the benefits of it, plus being unable to switch, just makes it inferior to Quiver Dance. You get the same amount of boosts within the same amount of time, but with the ability to emergency-switch and you can reap the benefits immediately. Geomancy might not be as common as you might think.

Anyway, back on topic: Arceus Fairy will undoubtably find its way on teams everywhere when it becomes legal, though definitely for the defensive benefits at this point over the offensive. It'll probably be extremely self-sufficient as well, as it only needs a Steel-type partner to form a solid dual defensive core.

Xerneas can, if I'm correct regarding Geomancy + the herb that removes charge time, quickly just to +2 in Attack/SpA/Speed. However this is really only useful late-game, since an opponent can phaze via whirlwind etc., or clear smog the stats away, and getting another +2 boost may be a bit agonizing.

Fairy Arceus isn't crippled by this as easily, as it possesses recovery and can set up at any point in the battle.

So I think while, yes, depending on the situation, Xerneas may be a better choice, but for early/mid-game set up, Arceus may be a better choice. It's something to consider at least. They definitely play a bit differently than one another, so don't be so quick to write one off in favor of the other.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankubersbeta-59789021

Arceus-Fairy sweep.

Arceus@Pixie Plate
Multitype
Bold 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 Spd
~ Calm Mind
~ Judgement
~ Recover
~ Flamethrower

He's just a super fast wall. The enemies that invest in speed aren't bulky enough to duke it out after one Calm Mind, and the slower ones are still outsped with no investment so you have the CM advantage. Fairy is just a great typing in this tier being immune to Dragon and resisting Fighting and Dark.

The biggest problem is Xerneas. It's a stat up war and unfortunately your invested defense does you no favors in this matchup and he will eventually outspeed you if he doesn't already.

You mentioned that Arceus Fairy has superior bulk to Xerneas and could make for a great slower CM set but you should also mention that Arceus has far superior speed to Xerneas.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankubersbeta-59789021

Arceus-Fairy sweep.

Arceus@Pixie Plate
Multitype
Bold 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 Spd
~ Calm Mind
~ Judgement
~ Recover
~ Flamethrower

He's just a super fast wall. The enemies that invest in speed aren't bulky enough to duke it out after one Calm Mind, and the slower ones are still outsped with no investment so you have the CM advantage. Fairy is just a great typing in this tier being immune to Dragon and resisting Fighting and Dark.

The biggest problem is Xerneas. It's a stat up war and unfortunately your invested defense does you no favors in this matchup and he will eventually outspeed you if he doesn't already.
The biggest problem is actually Ho-Oh, which is more prevalent and effective than ever with the introduction of Defog. It resists both coverage moves, has massive special bulk even uninvested and hits it hard.

The biggest problem is actually Ho-Oh, which is more prevalent and effective than ever with the introduction of Defog. It resists both coverage moves, has massive special bulk even uninvested and hits it hard.
I can boost to the point where I can overwhelm him plus he takes 50% from stealth rock just coming in. Lucia with Multi scale is the real issue. It can Toxic stall like a beast by healing back to multiscale range. That or simply Whirlwind.

I can boost to the point where I can overwhelm him plus he takes 50% from stealth rock just coming in.
No you can't, Ho-oh simply can't be overwhelmed by such a forme, even if SR is up, Toxic Ho-oh will win, Whirlwind Ho-oh will phaze or Life Orb will overpower you.

If you use Arceus fairy on a drizzle team you could use surf, to take advantage of rain, I guess? Still retains the hit on Ho-oh. I'm not really sure it warrants usage over Thunder/Thunderbolt unless you struggle against heatran or excadrill or something though.

I wonder how viable using arceus fairy like a bulky stallbreaker ould be (almost identical to what arceus dark did last gen).

I don't usually post my sets but because I don't have any motivation to care about the game, I've been using this in a couple of teams I made and works really well.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Judgment
- Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
- Recover
- Defog / Roar

It peaks 318 Speed iirc, and eats everything up.

I can definitely see something like this being viable. Without mentioning its godly stats, Arceus can play a similar role to Xerneas, albeit much slower. With Calm mind and Judgment, you have a much slower version of Xerneas's Geomancy+Moonblast set. Arceus also has a much more diverse movepool than Xerneas, allowing it to use moves like Flamethrower and Earth power, moves that Xerneas woudl kill to have. Arceus shines in its great 120/120/120 bulk compared to Xerneas's 126/95/98 defenses, allowing you to boost more.

Arceus's main problem when using a set like this will be the time it takes to set up, and 4mss. Calm mind, recover, and Judgment are practically required, so the last moveslot has to be either refresh/sub to avoid status, and then you lose out on coverage. If you use Flamethrower, Psyshock, or Earth power for coverage, you're still missing out on coverage (Ho-oh laughs at the set), and you're vulnerable to status.

Overall, I think it's a fine set and one of the better CM sets for Arceus since there's lots of dragons in ubers and being fairy means you're immune to dragon tail. I'd say use either this or Xerneas, but not both, as both are walled by similar pokemon and are countered by similar pokemon as well.

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SpAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, Atk-)
- Judgement
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Recover
- Defog

Basically what I have been using for the new Arceus. It's a speedy Defog support set I've been using. Three moves basically explain itself but Fire Blast has a reason. While I have been seeing quite a few more Steel-Types running around, I've been mainly seeing Scizor the most of that type. Fire Blast is there for that reason, as Arceus-Fairy can Fire Blast on the switch or in a more dire situation take a BP and just knock out Scizor straight out (or I miss, doh.) While Judgment Fairy is not that powerful with only 4 SpAtk investment, it still does a lot of damage to the Dragon's of the tier, and that is very nice.

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SpAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, Atk-)
- Judgement
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Recover
- Defog

Basically what I have been using for the new Arceus. It's a speedy Defog support set I've been using. Three moves basically explain itself but Fire Blast has a reason. While I have been seeing quite a few more Steel-Types running around, I've been mainly seeing Scizor the most of that type. Fire Blast is there for that reason, as Arceus-Fairy can Fire Blast on the switch or in a more dire situation take a BP and just knock out Scizor straight out (or I miss, doh.) While Judgment Fairy is not that powerful with only 4 SpAtk investment, it still does a lot of damage to the Dragon's of the tier, and that is very nice.
Ho-oh bait, it's really a bad thing. Consider running Edgar's set above instead.

Ho-oh bait, it's really a bad thing. Consider running Edgar's set above instead.
And that is why there are other team members, I know this is Ho-Oh bait. BUT also in a way, an easy prediction. Whenever I have Arceus-Fairy on my team, I always pack a Ho-Oh check/counter. Zekrom being a favorite as one.

Last edited:
And you just wasted the opportunity to use the best and only real counter, Arceus-Rock. By using such a a set you give Ho-oh too many free turns do stuff. It's simply horrendous in that aspect because now you have to build the team in such a way that every other member of the team can threaten Ho-oh nicely- not an easy task. By instead opting for Toxic on Fairyceus, you limit Ho-oh a lot since your bulk allows you to kinda take on Life Orbed variants pretty nicely. Your set, however, will give Ho-oh a free substitute every team you get in to do stuff, and since you will be hard pressed to find a counter, then you will have to eat a lot of Brave Birds and Sacred Fires just to break that free sub- which it gets every time you switch in, henceforth why that set is bad.

And you just wasted the opportunity to use the best and only real counter, Arceus-Rock. By using such a a set you give Ho-oh too many free turns do stuff. It's simply horrendous in that aspect because now you have to build the team in such a way that every other member of the team can threaten Ho-oh nicely- not an easy task. By instead opting for Toxic on Fairyceus, you limit Ho-oh a lot since your bulk allows you to kinda take on Life Orbed variants pretty nicely. Your set, however, will give Ho-oh a free substitute every team you get in to do stuff, and since you will be hard pressed to find a counter, then you will have to eat a lot of Brave Birds and Sacred Fires just to break that free sub- which it gets every time you switch in, henceforth why that set is bad.
I disagree, Calm Mind Arceus-Fairy can definetely pose a threat to any team, even with a Ho-Oh in it, as for partners I like using Heatran since as we all know, Heatran (With Roar) turns Sub Ho-Oh into free rocks, not to mention that Heatran also eats up Will-o-Wisps and Toxics. In my opinion the firefairy coverage that Calm Mind Arceus Fairy has is enough for it to be a good pokemon and set up sweeper. I'd also like to make a comparison to the old metagame of BW2, people used Double Dance Groudon even though Lati twins and Giratina-O were prevalent. You don't necessarily need to build the team just to check that Pokemon that "walls you completely" you just need 1 or 2 that keep enough pressure on that so called "counter".

I wasnt arguing against cm fairy arc, which is ok espcially with psyshock- a defog set with fire blast and judgment doesn't accomplish much in ny eyes.

What do you guys think of Dark Pulse on a CM set? Fairy and Dark have perfect neutral coverage IIRC, and Dark Pulse can hit things like Mewtwo and Lugia for SE damage.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What do you guys think of Dark Pulse on a CM set? Fairy and Dark have perfect neutral coverage IIRC, and Dark Pulse can hit things like Mewtwo and Lugia for SE damage.
Irrelevant since dpulse hits nothing that judgment wouldnt hit bar aegislash/tranner...

Dpulse has 80 bp
Judgment has 180bp factoring stab + plate boost...
So a resisted judgment inflicts more damage than a neutral dpulse. And a super effective dark pulse hits lighter than a neutral judgement. So the only time dpulse would do more is if it hits for SE dam while judgment is resisted or if judent is quad resisted.

Edit: dpulse hits the psychic/steels harder mostly rachi/zong/mega but you have more important targets to hit like ho oh

Last edited:
Arceus Fairy is an excellent Uber to consider when building a team. I'll share my favorite set:

Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Bulky, Fast, Powerful, this wallceus set works wonders in the current metagame. Its burns can neuter many threats, including normal checks like physical Aegislash, Judgement can act as a powerful stab option getting clean 2HKOs or worse on Pokemon such as Yveltal and Palkia, and Recover provides reliable health restoration.

The final option, Roar is extremely useful with the widespread use of set up sweepers and miscellaneous Substitute users. At full health, this Fairyceus set will live a +2 Moonblast from a Xerneas, and proceed to phase it, buying your team momentum while making further Xerneas set ups much harder. Unfortunately, this set can't beat Ho-Oh 1v1, but trust me, this set is worth trying out :)

Imo a good partner for arceus fairy is none other than ho-oh itself.

With physical stab brave bird and sacred fire it takes out every single threat mentioned on a-f barring heatran, but it also has eq for that.

Arceus-fairy in return takes out troublesome things that block ho-oh, like stealth rock with defog, giratina-o, palkia

I think that, as usual, a Timid Calm Mind set would be the best option for a Special Attacker. Not sure if the EVs should be 252 HP/4 Special Attack/252 Speed, to give Him definitive bulk over Xerneas, or 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed, to give His Judgment as much power as possible.

I think to counter Aegislash you'd want something like:

252 HP/4 Special Attack/252 Speed
Calm Mind
Judgment
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Recover

The HP bulk is there so it can actually take more then one hit and have a chance to boost with Calm Mind and launch a Flamethrower that would probably be enough to OHKO most Aegislash. Or if you don't think you can wait a whole turn to boost and you don't mind the low accuracy and PP, Fire Blast could the place of Flamethrower. Judgment and Recover are fairly self-explanatory, as the former is to give Him a STAB move, while the latter is to grant Him a reliable form of recovery.

In fact, you could probably use the same set of moves with the EVs for HP and Special Attack switched if you want to forego bulk in favor of power. At least, that's my analysis after looking at all 17 of the other Arceus sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)