Project ArcheTYPE Cores (Ice/Flying/Fighting Offense)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhydon
Mantine
Vileplume

Destroyed by freeze dry but one of my favourite balance cores that covers basically every weakness and threat that's used in the meta.
mantine covers unconventional threats in the meta + walls water types apart from lanturn. Ludi, samu, scald abusers. Rhydon is spdef and cores the magmortar's t-bolt pivot and lives hp grass to kill with eq / rock blast. Basically there to cover weaknesses. Vileplume for fighting types, physcal attackers, extra check to samurott / floatzel etc etc. Also the core I used during my NLT laddering :)
sets:
Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 136 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Scald
- Defog
- Signal Beam
[hide/]

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Alright guys it is time to vote for the balanced
cores. This week was a bit lackluster in terms of submissions as well, but they were good submissions nonetheless! With only 2 submissions this week, only vote for your favorite submission. Voting ends Monday! :)

BrandonBeast

Teddeh

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
And with that, Teddeh is the winner this week and by default (due to only 2 submissions) BrandonBeast is runner up, lol.

Week 8 may have a slight delay because since I updated my other three threads on my own, I decided to let Winter's Howl have his first crack as interim host of all these projects by picking the types and playstyle for this week's ArcheTYPE Cores. So stay tuned!!!

Hey everyone! Thanks again NV for allowing me to serve as interim host this week. This time we're doing
balance cores. At first glance, it seems a little bit too similar to last week's core. But after talking with a number of people, I determined that this core not only would accurately represent the NU meta, but it would also allow a greater display of diversity. Thanks to Jarii for the idea, and to Realistic Waters, Silver Aurum, and allstar124 for letting me bounce ideas off of them.

Deadline is going to be Friday, the 1st, so be sure to get your submissions in by then. Good luck everyone!

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

pretty cool balance core that covers eachothers weaknesses etc

Lanturn is there to beat Magmortar and Pyroar, Xatu beats the spooky scary fighting-types and Steelix beats Scyther + sets up rocks

toxic is really nice on Steelix as it's able to check Musharna and annoy other mons like Gourgeist, which this core struggles with
Heat Wave is for opposing steelix and the rest of the core is pretty self-explanatory

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Reserving Vivillon + Pelipper + Steelix

Vivillon is one of the best sweepers in NU thanks to Quiver Dance and Compound Eyes boosting the accuracy of Sleep Powder and Hurricane, while still having coverage in Energy Ball. Pelipper is a great partner as it helps Vivillon out with Fire types and can Defog Stealth Rocks, while also being a realiable Fighting check. Steelix rounds out the core by adding Rocks and being a check to many types, like Electric and Fairy. Good partners for this core are Hariyama, who checks Fire and Ice types and can crush Steel and Rock types for Vivillon. I hope you like it!

Vivillon @ Focus Sash / Sky Plate
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Energy Ball

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Roost

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Stone Edge

Last edited:

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 16 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

So the teams built around bulky SD Scyther which is a really cool set in this meta which is why I chose to build around it, the things it struggles with are things like Steelix, bulky rock types, and general steel types. So I paired it with Torterra who can switch into a number of steel and rock types and force them out with either one of its strong STABS as well as add an electric immunity and lanturn switch in to help cover our next member in this core in Mantine. I chose Mantine as it has the defog support that Scyther really wants while also being a good fire resist. This team lacks a really solid answer to Sceptile as well as an ice resist, so I recommend adding something in for it. The core basically wants to spam U-turn with Scyther and go into either Torterra or Mantine on the chosen bug resist and wear down whatever is stopping Scyther from sweeping after an SD.

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Shadow Ball

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 176 Def / 244 SpD / 48 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wing Attack
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

All these reserve johns smh. Anyway since my buddy Winter is hosting this, I'd figure I'd share this neat core that I used for a volt turn team I made a few days ago. Claydol + Lanturn is a cool defensive core as they play well off each others typing with Lanturn being able to handle water and fire types that neither Claydol or Scyther enjoy taking on and Claydol being immune to the ground type attacks that threaten Lanturn. Scarf Scyther is something that I think is pretty good in the meta at the moment because of its ability to revenge many of the faster threats that have shaped NU as of recently, with Sceptile being a prime example. Scyther's main role in the core is to help keep grass and fighting types in check for Claydol and Lanturn. The only thing this core is really missing is rocks and a more solid normal type check, but most rockers in the tier already do both so that shouldn't be exceedingly difficult to fit with this core.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader

Rotom-Fan @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Air Slash

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Synthesis

I like specially defensive mons right now, and this is a good bunch of them x_x. Specially Defensive Rotom-Fan is my favorite mon to slap onto teams in a good while, and Specially Defensive Ludicolo is just fun in general. Together they can beat pretty much anything special in the metagame and still be healthy enough to deal with more. Piloswine is the odd one out, honestly, but considering both Rotom-Fan and Ludicolo can deal with Steelix so well, it doesn't have a care in the world about that specific problem. Just throw on a Physical resist (Garbodor) and an answer to Musharna and you're going to be fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)