Are we ever going to get better challenge cup support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like challenge cup was designed with the bare minimum effort needed to make it playable ever since netbattle. There are many weak moves that aren't filtered out of the random move selection process and pokemon should probably get at least 2 attacking moves (with one being a stab move) instead of only at least one (this was how it was done in pokemon stadium 2). There should also be better filters for the held items and something that filters out all those weak bug pokemon. These changes would make challenge cup much more fair since it increases the chances that both teams are close to equal in power.

Also it would be nice to have something similar to challenge cup where instead of getting a completely random team a human made team list is created and then when the match begins each player is given a team randomly chosen from the list. This would allow you to play with a large number of teams without going through the hassle of creating them and not being as luck based as challenge cup.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
ChallegeCup is supposed to be luck based. However, I do support the 2 attacking moves. It's somewhere on the PO forums.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
These changes would make challenge cup much more fair since it increases the chances that both teams are close to equal in power.
That's the point of challenge cup: doing the best you can with what you get, no matter what it is. The imbalance between teams is what distinguishes it from a "normal" tier.

I disagree with you saying the point of challenge cup being luck based. I think the real point of challenge cup is to get to battle with a new team every match without having to go through the trouble of making one. Thats why I like it and I suspect other people enjoy it for this reason as well. Even nintendo agrees with me because many of these ideas were actually used in the challenge cup mode in pokemon stadium 2 (I can't comment on the later games since I haven't played them) so if you want to make this simulator as close to the games as possible more effort is needed in designing challenge cup. I guess we can still keep the original challenge cup as it is but maybe have different challenge cup modes. A challenge cup mode based on the usage stats could be interesting as well.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Unless I'm very much mistaken, that would require some coding by the developers, and not a rewrite of the current server scripts. If you want this tier to be created, separate from Challenge Cup, or to have Challenge Cup rewritten like this, you would do better making such a suggestion on the PO Forums, so that the tier can actually be created.

That's the point of challenge cup: doing the best you can with what you get, no matter what it is. The imbalance between teams is what distinguishes it from a "normal" tier.
This. Challenge Cup is supposed to be an "informal" tier where you derive fun from just playing with the Pokemon you get on-the-spot. It is a tier for people who "just want to go play some 'mons" and don't want to build a team for the same.

However, gbacgn's suggestion for different Challenge Cup modes is interesting. As cosmicexplorer said, such a suggestion would involve a change in the coding of the game. As such, bringing this topic up on the Pokemon Online forums would be more appropriate. Contacting PO's chief developers on the PO forums in person would help out, too.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Challenge Cup is currently the way it should be. If you want to code something you think is better, then do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)