ASB Council #11 - Inauguration Thread

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As of this thread, the new Council will now have power from here until 4 months from now.

THE FINAL COUNCIL

Dogfish44
Texas Cloverleaf
ZhengTann
deadfox081
Maxim

Should the council need a replacement, the first in line will be jayelt413. If it needs another replacement, we will continue with the votes already given. But I hope it won't be necessary.

This is the thread where you can congratulate the council and/or comment on council (in general or facets of).

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To give you an idea of how close this was, I was pretty sure that under IRV you weren't supposed to cut off the lower numbers if combined they outnumber the greatest number, you were supposed to go into an iterative process of comparing one cut at a time (turns out that's PBV). Here are the results if that iterative process is followed.

[19:44:21] <Texas> removing leethoof yields
[19:44:30] <Texas> smash 6, jay 7, maxim 6
[19:44:34] <Texas> removing smash yields
[19:44:42] <Texas> leethoof 6, jay 6, maxim 7
[19:46:58] <Texas> under first scenario, leethoof vs maxim yields a 9 to 9 tie
[19:49:10] <Texas> under second scenario smash vs jay yields 10 to 8 for smash
[19:49:57] <Texas> under either scenario maxim vs jay yields 10 to 8 for maxim

AKA: This this was fucking close

edit: considering this there's an argument to be made that smash could be considered over Maxim, I'd recommend him as replacement #1 as a result

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Congratz to the council, and thanks to all my supporters!

P.S. this was way too close for that 5th spot

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
To give you an idea of how close this was, I was pretty sure that under IRV you weren't supposed to cut off the lower numbers if combined they outnumber the greatest number, you were supposed to go into an iterative process of comparing one cut at a time (turns out that's PBV). Here are the results if that iterative process is followed.

[19:44:21] <Texas> removing leethoof yields
[19:44:30] <Texas> smash 6, jay 7, maxim 6
[19:44:34] <Texas> removing smash yields
[19:44:42] <Texas> leethoof 6, jay 6, maxim 7
[19:46:58] <Texas> under first scenario, leethoof vs maxim yields a 9 to 9 tie
[19:49:10] <Texas> under second scenario smash vs jay yields 10 to 8 for smash
[19:49:57] <Texas> under either scenario maxim vs jay yields 10 to 8 for maxim

AKA: This this was fucking close
Yeah, I just did a big math thing on voting systems. Turns out it is super easy to manipulate processes to give basically any desired result, even while seeming impartial. Such as here and now.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well the idea with the iterative process is that you do that to see if there's a significant shift in voting pools. If I cut Leethoof's vote and all of them go to smashlloyd that's an indicator that he shouldn't be cut from that round of voting.

In this case where there's no significant voting shift there's no problem in cutting both 4 vote totals.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I actually found it strange to eliminate candidates whose votes account for more than the remaining ones, but I looked all over the smogon description of the system and the wiki description and didn't find any specific rule other than "Once all the first preferences are counted, if one candidate holds a majority, that candidate wins. Otherwise the candidate who holds the fewest first preferences is eliminated".

Mind you, I saw some variations that have specific rules, but we don't adopt those. If you can find me any specific rule stating that general IRV does as you said, then I can consider putting a different replacement or rechecking the result. If not, it stays as is.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay Frosty, sorry - I was going to add a "I mean, ugh" behind the "Woot!!"

So, grocery list.

Move EN cost revamp - suggested to be held onto until we finish current Items revamp. So, uh, hold on?
Non-Signature Items revamp - We're supposed to direct discussion unless Frosty still wants to hoard, right? Right.
SubwayJ's Scarves - A cool idea, but given how Subs isn't here to push for it, it'll probably be freezed solid and laid to rest :(
Substitution rules, the series - Someone go hook up with IAR on his Tower match for some test-run thingy, please.

Aaaand that's it?

*cracks knuckles*

Let's get to it then.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Apparently we're overdue by about 9 days already. Thanks for the love everyone, but good things must come to an end. Stay tuned!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)