Ask a simple question, get a simple answer — Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i'm new here, but long time battler and long time shoddy user. however i havent played for about 2 months, just tried getting back on, and it wont let me sign into the smogon server.
i type in my username and password, click log on and nothing happens, i can click it loads of times and nothing happens. it lets me sign in to all the other servers. and i have tried registering again with a different name and it wouldnt work.

help? :)

The name you are trying to register is probably already taken. Try registering another different name.

Also, for me Shoddy "semi" freezes if I minimize it or show another window/program or anything else. Try starting shoddy, connecting to the registry, connecting to the official server etc... all without doing anything in any other window or application (ie: keep shoddy battle as your active window until you are succesfully connected)

"Unable to launch application"

So... I downloaded the client from an admin account and tested that it is functional on that account and it worked out perfectly fine. I could make a team and battle people.

However, switching to my user account, I try to run the client and after a little bit of loading from Java 6, I get a pop-up saying "Unable to launch application".

From Shoddy Battle download page said:
After the program finishes downloading, you will be presented with a warning dialogue. This dialogue is simply asking for permission to run the program as a normal application program, as opposed to a typical Java applet running in a sandbox. It it not asking for anything above the privileges of your user account. In particular, it is not asking to run as an administrator. (Shoddy Battle does not require that you are an administrator.) If you are fine with running the program, choose Run.
According to this, I shouldn't need to use an admin account to run the program. I've already looked through the help threads, but cannot find an answer. How can I fix this problem? (I'm using Windows XP, btw.)

Thanks! All help appreciated.

I need to know, how can one edit/add moves, abilities, and/or Pokemon onto Shoddy? Like for an example, what would I need to do in order to change Sword Dance from a stat increasing move into an attacking move?

When I am challenged to, or when I challenge someone else to, a Random Battle, I accept the invite, but the battle never starts. Has anyone else had this issue?

I know I have asked this before, but I'm not getting any response :(

Ohmyarceus please scroll down your answer is at the bottom.

Then try the second thing I said. The only other solution I can think of is an issue with your instance of Java/Shoddybattle needs to be completely reinstalled or updated. Do you get any kind of error message at all or does Shoddy just "freeze" after you press Login?

So... I downloaded the client from an admin account and tested that it is functional on that account and it worked out perfectly fine. I could make a team and battle people.

However, switching to my user account, I try to run the client and after a little bit of loading from Java 6, I get a pop-up saying "Unable to launch application".

According to this, I shouldn't need to use an admin account to run the program. I've already looked through the help threads, but cannot find an answer. How can I fix this problem? (I'm using Windows XP, btw.)

Thanks! All help appreciated.
I have limited (compared to other users on this forums) understanding of computers but you I am pretty sure you would have to reinstall Shoddy (and possibly Java in general) from that user account, because Shoddy isn't your "average" program, but instead is a Java... thing, and such... things usually reference stuff that is saved in your User folders, meaning any other account would not be able to launch the program because they would not be able to find all the requirements.

It could also be that you or someone else changed the User Account Settings in the past, making them more secure, and making Shoddy unable to run on non-admin accounts, but I'm like 90% sure its my first solution.

How do I start laddering?
Once you have successfully connected to Smogon University's Shoddybattle Server, which is named simply "Smogon University" on the server list... yeah this is a lot easier to explain with pictures and directions then just simply trying to describe everything in words (and I just wanted to use Paint):

AND THEN

If you have not yet made a team, you will first need to make one. If you already have a team but want to change it then you would look here also.

This is where your currently loaded team is shown, also right above it is your choice of metagame: "Standard" means 'regular pokemon' which is just OU, which is probably where you want to start.

Once you have a team you are ready to battle with, look over here. You will probably first have to load your team into the ladder, so just press "Load Team" then find your team on your computer and click "Open".

Once your team is loaded and you are ready to play, press "Find Match" and a battle will automatically start for you against a *random* opponent. It can take a while sometimes, depending on how many users are currently on the server, so just be patient. After you press the button once all you have to do is wait.

why is it that when I win, sometimes I gain four or five points,
and today (in Ubers) I am gaining one point when I win, losing 2 or three?
:(

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I need to know, how can one edit/add moves, abilities, and/or Pokemon onto Shoddy? Like for an example, what would I need to do in order to change Sword Dance from a stat increasing move into an attacking move?
You use the team builder.

From the chat window: Go to file>open team>find your team on your computer>then start editing it.

Or, from the list of servers: Team builder tab>edit team>find your team>start editing.

why is it that when I win, sometimes I gain four or five points,
and today (in Ubers) I am gaining one point when I win, losing 2 or three?
:(
The short answer is it depends on who you play (ie their ranking), as well as your battle history. If your average points per win is starting to decline it means you have established a consistent history of wins... this is normal.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
When I am challenged to, or when I challenge someone else to, a Random Battle, I accept the invite, but the battle never starts. Has anyone else had this issue?

I know I have asked this before, but I'm not getting any response :(
I'm having the exact same problem... I've changed my Java Preferences from Java SE 6 (64-bit) to J2SE 5.0 (64-bit) and it still doesn't work... My friends, who also use MacBooks, don't have this problem but I do. It worked fine last year, too.

Also, since no one answered my questions last time:
1. Is Arceus allowed in Uber play now that you can obtain it legally in the US?

No. The US Arceus is still at Level 100 and thus has the same EV limitation that the Japanese one did (only up to 100 in each stat from vitamins). Shoddy Battle 1 doesn't support this, so until SB2 comes out, it's still barred from play.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You use the team builder.

From the chat window: Go to file>open team>find your team on your computer>then start editing it.

Or, from the list of servers: Team builder tab>edit team>find your team>start editing.
That wasn't his question. He was asking how to edit the pokemon/moves themselves. Like, if he wanted Explosion to work like Bellydrum or something.

I don't know how to answer it, but just saying. I'm guessing its something on the server side.

I'm having the exact same problem... I've changed my Java Preferences from Java SE 6 (64-bit) to J2SE 5.0 (64-bit) and it still doesn't work... My friends, who also use MacBooks, don't have this problem but I do. It worked fine last year, too.

Thanks for your reply, I have found the problem...
You must use Java SE6 (32-Bit) to make it work.

Thanks for your reply, I have found the problem...
You must use Java SE6 (32-Bit) to make it work.
Well, I've tried everything else, so trying this might fix the issues I've been having with Shoddy. The problem is this: I can't figure out for the life of me how to change my Java preferences. Apparently, the answer is actually so obvious that there is no information on this that I am finding that will answer my question.

Thank you.

Edit:

I should have specified earlier, but I am using a PC.

Well, I've tried everything else, so trying this might fix the issues I've been having with Shoddy. The problem is this: I can't figure out for the life of me how to change my Java preferences. Apparently, the answer is actually so obvious that there is no information on this that I am finding that will answer my question.

Thank you.
You are on a Mac, yes? Do a spotlight search for "Java Preferences" (w/o the speech marks, obvs.). If nothing happens, then go to <Computer Name> / Macintosh HD (Or your name for it) / Applications / Utilities. It will be in there.
EDIT: Sorry, you aren't the person I thought you were so you might not be on a Mac... If you are on a PC, then sorry but I don't know where to find your Java Preferences :(

How do you view logs that you won in Shoddy Battle? I could save logs, but I have no idea how to view them.
What I do is rename the file so that it has the file extension .doc. If your filename is for example, log, rename it log.doc. It should now open in Word or a similar program.

So that's why it won't be viewed! Thanks for the help. I have been trying to use Shoddy Battle to open up the log. I wonder why Shoddy Battle won't do that automatically.

What happens if you were banned for no reason for 6 days? I was not on chat but I want to play now, How do I get back on? It says contact admin but I don't know how.

What happens if you were banned for no reason for 6 days? I was not on chat but I want to play now, How do I get back on? It says contact admin but I don't know how.
If you were banned for 6 days, then you cannot go on for 6 days. Simple as that. Although, I believe Smogon has a few active Shoddy mods so you could ask them, but the most likely outcome is that you will stay banned for 6 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)