Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is refresh viable on a Calm Mind Latias?
Yes it is. Refresh makes it substantially easier to setup on bulky waters and on Blissey/Chansey. It makes a great stall breaker and is a good option on sand teams that find themselves habing trouble with bulky waters; but can't afford running a natural cure grass type. However, Refresh is pretty much exlcusively used against more defensive balance teams and stall teams. It is near useless against more offensive teams where the barrier of substiute, the tankyness of Reflect, or an extra coverage move to hit more targets without a larger amount of boosts is appreciated.

I've been trying to build a team around Choice banded Tech-loom and Latias.
Do you think a Reflect/Dragon pulse/HP Fire/Roost is a better idea than Calm Mind?
Because it always seems to get crippled in some way.

I've been trying to build a team around Choice banded Tech-loom and Latias.
Do you think a Reflect/Dragon pulse/HP Fire/Roost is a better idea than Calm Mind?
Because it always seems to get crippled in some way.
If you find yourself Latias getting crippled to often by Status, Refresh would be the way to go. However with Latias you need to sacrifice some defensiveness without Calm Mind, you will find yourself just not being powerful enough. It sounds to me that Latias' Life Orb tank set is what you are looking for. It is a little less bulky; but you gain the ability to have much better coverage with 3 moves and the ability to dish out harder hits immediately. The Life Orb tank actually still find room to put Refresh on its move set. It can be found on the page in this link http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/latias

Yes it is. Refresh makes it substantially easier to setup on bulky waters and on Blissey/Chansey. It makes a great stall breaker and is a good option on sand teams that find themselves habing trouble with bulky waters; but can't afford running a natural cure grass type. However, Refresh is pretty much exlcusively used against more defensive balance teams and stall teams. It is near useless against more offensive teams where the barrier of substiute, the tankyness of Reflect, or an extra coverage move to hit more targets without a larger amount of boosts is appreciated.
This ^

I highly recommend Refresh + Recover CM Latias to anyone looking for a bulky, fast, late game cleaner. It does not mind the lack of coverage at all, even steels (not named Scizor/Genesect) fall to it.

It's been a long time since I last went on here, so could someone inform me on how the meta shifted, as well as other changes to smogon?

If this is helpful, I wasn't on Smogon for 8 months and now I read the smog and there's Kyurem Forms and Tornadus forms. Help!

Edit 1: I just read the Smog article. When I was around, I believe Scrafty was actually good.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's been a long time since I last went on here, so could someone inform me on how the meta shifted, as well as other changes to smogon?

If this is helpful, I wasn't on Smogon for 8 months and now I read the smog and there's Kyurem Forms and Tornadus forms. Help!
Well basically, there are a bunch of new formes and pokemon- Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W who have outstanding base 170 attack and special attack, respectively. In OU, the genies got Therian formes- and each got their offensive stats redistributed and they got new abilities. There are also new abilities- much of the old unreleased Dream World abilities are now released- and can be used in standard play. Genesect, Meloetta, and Keldeo are also now available. There are a bunch of new tutor moves as well.

The biggest changes are the release of Genesect, Keldeo, the Therian genies (resdistributed Base Stats and new abilities), and Meoletta. We've also seen the release of some new Dream World abilities, most notably Shadow Tag Gothitelle and Imposter Ditto. Some move changes relevant to OU are Chlorophyll Venusaur getting Giga Drain, Volcarona/Kyurem getting Roost, and everything getting access to the new B2/W2 tutor moves (which include Superpower, the elemental punches, Earth Power, and Drain Punch among others). The new Kyurem forms are banned to Ubers so they're irrelevant to OU. However, they're quite a force to be reckoned with up there.

Stratos

Banned deucer.

yeah ok so because GameFreak has a forme fetish, they released new forms for Kyurem and the Genies with BW2. you probably won't need to worry about the former if you're posting in the OU subforum; the Kyurems have a 700 BST and are firmly Uber. However, the Therians (as the genie forms are called) are quite prevalent in OU and should definitely be on your watch list.

Those guys have some W I P analyses going on that you should probably check out if you want to learn more. The main differences are minor stat and ability changes - Thundy gets Volt Absorb and loses 10 speed and attack in exchange for 20 atk, Torny gets Regenerator and 121 base Spe in exchange for some power, and Lando also loses 10 Spe and Spa but gets Intimidate and 145 Atk

There's some other new, but more expected, releases to be on the lookout for: keldeo, genesect, meloetta, and Shadow Tag Gothitelle are all now available for use in OU. Also, some Gen V DW abilities are available; check the index for the full list.

The other main thing to keep a lookout for is new Tutors. Some of the most notable are Superpower, Giga Drain, Roost, the Punches, and Gravity (which makes Landorus-I an absolute monster). Also, Rain is now by far the best weather, and Politoed is #1 in Usage Stats. in all, a lot changed from bw1 to bw2, and i suggest you go play to get a feel for the new meta.

edit: ninjas are ghey. it is a lot like DW but remember that there's some things that weren't anticipated such as tutors, and some abilities still not released such as Contrary Serp and Shadow Tag Chandy

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Wait. So it's just like Dream World OU + the Genies?
DW OU has a different banlist (Garchomp, Excadrill, Thundurus and Deo-S are all unbanned in DW OU), and somethings like Shadow Tag Chandlure are still unreleased and several Event Pokemon still got some movepool restrictions (most notably all starter pokemon).

i'm building a hail stall team (since ice types are somewhat rare it affects more pokes than sandstorm)and i have 2 questions that will determine if i use dugtrio to trap and kill weather inducers
1st can dugtrio have a set that 2HKOs every weather inducer bar Abomasnow?

2nd does dugtrio survive Politoed's Scald/Surf in various scenarios (i would appreciate if all possible scenarios we're mentioned , different politoed sets , weather ,etc...)

i'm building a hail stall team (since ice types are somewhat rare it affects more pokes than sandstorm)and i have 2 questions that will determine if i use dugtrio to trap and kill weather inducers

2nd does dugtrio survive Politoed's Scald/Surf in various scenarios (i would appreciate if all possible scenarios we're mentioned , different politoed sets , weather ,etc...)
Dugtrio is unable to 2HKO any version of Hippowdon and Abomasnow, and will struggle to put down Politoed in 2hits. It is also incapable of surviving any of Politoeds STABs, outside of using Focus Sash or SubLiechi sets.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
^ http://honko.byethost8.com/manly_calc.html

alright so if we look at dugtrio's standard 252 atk / 252+ speed spread, there's basically no way to 2hko the standard 252/252+ defensive bulky toed. everything else can easily be ohko'd by either reversal (from the sash set) or eq/stone edge (cough ninetales edgequake weak)

and no there is no way in hell that dugtrio will ever survive politoed's scald unless sun is up. 0 satk scald precisely ohkos dugtrio 100% of the time in neutral weather. dugtrio has only two things going for it: high speed and arena trap. if you think it's gonna survive an attack (ie any attack), forget about it

EDIT: oop got ninja'd and forgot about hippo. pretty sure abomasnow gets imploded by reversal though

EDIT: oop got ninja'd and forgot about hippo. pretty sure abomasnow gets imploded by reversal though
Dugtrio does 42.71% - 50.52% against SubSeed Abomasnow with Stone Edge. Dugtrio is taking residual damage from Hail so unless you plan on taking an uninvested Ice Shard (66.51% - 79.25%) and then using Reversal at 80 BP, you can do 34.38% - 40.62%. After Hail and an Ice Shard, you can do 42.71% - 50.52% with Reversal but Dugtrio can't survive a Blizzard, Giga Drain, or 2 Ice Shards

Multi-tier

I'm just getting into competitive battling, and had a team building question. Is it practical to have a multi-tier team, example a team with mons from OU, UU, and RU?

Unrelated to team building, does holding a Lucky Egg have any bearing on EV training, and would you guys recommend EV training with or without it?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Is it practical to have a multi-tier team, example a team with mons from OU, UU, and RU?
it's possible to incorporate mons from every tier into a single team, but don't expect it to be competitive just because. lower tier mons have niches, sometimes, but not always, and those niches are small. there's a reason they're in lower tiers, after all.

and lucky egg does not affect EV training. try macho brace or the power anklet etc items if you want some more EV accumulation. check out the wifi sqsa thread for more on that

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It can be practical, depending on the Pokémon in question. All that matters is that the Pokémon you choose work well together and can handle all of the major threats in the metagame.

You can try Gothitelle out with 252 HP/ 252 Sp Att. Sadly Gothitelle can't learn Thunder.

Maybe the best set for weather starters is Specs with Psyshock for Ninetales, Thunderbolt, HP Fight and Grass Knot for the Hippo. If the Hippo isn't a big worry, you can replace it with Trick.

Calcs which I have already done, obviously Ninetales and Poli have into account their boosting weather.

Gothitelle 252 Thunderbolt 0/0 Politoed 52%-61% If GF gave her Thunder: Always 2KO counting no SR and Leftovers recovery

Gothitelle 252 Thunderbolt 252/0 Politoed 57%-67% 2KO

Gothitelle 252+ Specs Thunderbolt 0/0 Politoed 85%-100% 2KO, around 70% KO with SR If GF gave her Thunder: Always KO

Gothitelle 252+ Specs Thunderbolt 252/0 Politoed 71%-84% 2KO If GF gave her Thunder: 90%-100%, KO with SR

Politoed 252+ Scarf Hydro Pump 0/0 82%-97% around 50% KO with SR

Politoed 252 Scarf Hydro Pump 0/0 75%-88% around 5% KO with SR

Politoed 252 Specs Hydro Pump 0/0 Always KO

Politoed 252 Specs Hydro Pump 252/0 91%-100% Always KO with SR

Politoed 0 Scald 0/0 38%-46%

Politoed 0 Scald 252/0 31%-37%

Gothitelle 252+ Specs Psyshock Ninetales 252/0 62%-74% 2KO

Gothitelle 252+ Specs Psyshock Ninetales 0/0 78%-92% KO with SR

Ninetales 252+ Fire Blast 252/0 Gothitelle 63%-74% 2KO

Ninetales 0 Flamethrower 252/0 Gothitelle 34%-40%

Gothitelle 252+ Specs HP Fighting 252/252+ Tyranitar 48%-57%

Gothitelle 252+ Specs HP Fighting 0/0 Tyranitar 78%-95%

Tyranitar 0 Crunch 252/0 Gothitelle 68%-80%

Tyranitar 252 Crunch 252/0 Gothitelle 81%-96% Around 50% KO with SR

Tyranitar 252+ Crunch 252/0 Gothitelle 88-100% KO with SR

As you can see, the Gothi has troubles against Scarf and Specs versions of Poli, but Abomasnow has no troubles switching in, but beware when SR are on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)