All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Has there been any discussion about different sprites and music for the older gens on PS? Should I ask that at the development forum?

Why was Deoxy-S banned in Gen 4? He certainly was not broken. Salamence? Latias? Why are there so many bannings? What would it take for you guys to unban them? Since Gen 4 isn't played a lot, I figure unbanning now is the best time because shitty players wont bitch about Pokemon their teams can't handle. I think supporting a Garchomp ban was foolish on hindsight. Now that I've returned to competitive battling it seems there was/is a culture of banning pokemon that are good.

Two questions-

1. Is Freeze Clause implented in RBY on PS?
2. Has wrap been implemented for RBY on PS?

Thanks in advance

1) Would you consider using a dragonite in 2nd generation? Is it strong? Is it effective in a battle between 2 real people? I have never used one for my team, ever. And now i am considering it. Wing Attack or Fly? Dragonbreath or Outrage? Hyper Beam or no Hyper Beam? Thunder Wave or no Thunder Wave? Extremespeed yes, since i got my dratini in dragon's den from Crystal game. But what held item? Is its quadruple weakness to Ice too much to consider using it? And finally, is Kingdra better, and why, if either yes, or no...?

2)Back in the day, i always used Lapras. It is a very good one, even though it does not evolve. Nice stats, high Hitpoints. And of course, STAB water/ice moves. It can also learn Confuse Ray, and put it to good use too. This can somewhat remedy its relatively low speed with the confusion in the picture, and an extra STAB ice beam or hydro pump/surf due to enemy hitting its own self is always nice and deadly.

Now, i got hooked up in emulation nicely (since you can trade between first and second gen roms, and even emulate transfer packs in both stadium roms). And as i have been reading (and seeing first hand in games), cloyster is also both powerful and popular.

What is YOUR suggestion? I would really love some compare and contrast from competitive players. With the weighted advice. Should i remake my old Lapras (ice beam, blizzard/something else, surf/hydro pump, confuse ray)? Or go for the cloyster you suggest here (spikes, water move, ice move, rapid spin/explosion)? I do not like dewgong the least bit, so it is only a question about Lapras VS Cloyster and WHY!

P.S. Please, try to cover my questions thoroughly. I know you people here know your stuff, play hardcore and are both competitive and super effective (in growing and battling pokemon). Thanks beforehand for your analysis.

1) Would you consider using a dragonite in 2nd generation? Is it strong? Is it effective in a battle between 2 real people? I have never used one for my team, ever. And now i am considering it. Wing Attack or Fly? Dragonbreath or Outrage? Hyper Beam or no Hyper Beam? Thunder Wave or no Thunder Wave? Extremespeed yes, since i got my dratini in dragon's den from Crystal game. But what held item? Is its quadruple weakness to Ice too much to consider using it? And finally, is Kingdra better, and why, if either yes, or no...?
Generally, Dragonite's used as a mixed attacker, and considered somewhat mediocre.

Fly is generally a bad idea since it gives your opponent a free turn (ditto for Hyper Beam). Outrage isn't considered spectacularly useful because GSC has plenty of special walls (Snorlax, Raikou, Blissey, and kinda Suicune as well) and thus special attacks tend to be used only if they're super-effective coverage against a specific wall (which Outrage isn't, because it's only SE against Kingdra or another Dragonite), or powerful enough to break walls (which, again, Outrage isn't).

Most things in competitive GSC use Leftovers for a held item.

You could also use Dragonite as a wall, with Reflect/Haze/Rest. Most Cursers and even Swords Dancers will struggle to accomplish much against Dragonite, and Growth Vaporeon is also in something of a pickle unless it has Ice Beam.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I don't wanna make a thread for this, so I'll just toss it in this thread.

Playing Emerald Battle Factory. Electabuzz vs Typhlosion. Typh used Overheat, killed Electabuzz... Static activated. Static is noted even in-game to activate on contact, and Overhead ISN'T a contact move, so... something's up with those mechanics maybe? Just throwing this anomaly out there.

Are we sure it's not a contact move? I mean, the elemental punches are also special, but are obviously contact, as are knock off and dragon claw and such. Granted, they all became physical in later gens, but... perhaps with Overheat your mon touches the opponent to deliver the burning heat? Kinda like a touch spell in D&D, if you're familiar with that. Not making any claims though.

Probably some kind of testing is required. Probably. Perhaps. (Definitely).

Are Johto tradebacks allowed on the PS ladder? Cause Alakazam could be dangerous with the elemental punches
You mean in Gen 1 games? No.

(From what I've heard, Amnesia Hypno's a bigger issue. Also LK/Hypnosis on everything and its mother.)

EDIT: Also, you make it sound like Alakazam's not dangerous already. The thing's a matchup monster.

Yeah the elemental punches on alakazam are overrated. They're just for special pokemon, and zam has a similar chance of beating all of them with seismic toss.

etto... is possible replicate closely the DPP UU metagame in BW2 games? The pokebank is near and my friends and me are only to transfer the legendaries and some HA pokes (since is so easy now get perfect pokemons in XY and EV train them) so we want to play with those pokemons wireless but we don't know if there is some important changes (like BW sleep mechanics) that prevents to play it correctly.

PS: yeah we have the other DS games like HG/SS and DPPt

Last edited:
etto... is possible replicate closely the DPP UU metagame in BW2 games? The pokebank is near and my friends and me are only to transfer the legendaries and some HA pokes (since is so easy now get perfect pokemons in XY and EV train them) so we want to play with those pokemons wireless but we don't know if there is some important changes (like BW sleep mechanics) that prevents to play it correctly.

PS: yeah we have the other DS games like HG/SS and DPPt
A few mechanic changes from 4th to 5th (besides sleep) that I can think of are:

- Sturdy prevents you from being KO'd from full health
- Storm Drain, Lightning Rod, etc. raise Sp. Attack upon activation
- Wish restores HP based on the user's HP, not the receiver's

And there are certain moves which may have changed power, accuracy, and PP slightly.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
GSC question here:
Can the growth eevees learn substitute in GSC? I tried it on PS and it said the move is illegal. Substitute is a TM in RBY, so can't a growth Eevee be traded back? Growth is an RBY move, so i don't see what would be wrong there.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok, guess i will post this in the bug report thread too, iirc someone pointed something like that out already with lovely kiss lax. Joim reads that thread, r-right?

My search tool hasn't come up with any answer for me, so I'm hoping somebody here will be nice enough to help me out.

I have been replaying my old Silver cartridge after replacing the internal battery. My intent is to play through Stadium 2 on my N64 with my various teams. So far, I've made it through the majority of the Stadium cups, with the exception of the Prime Cup. My reason for this, is that training up to lvl 100 is agonizing with the Elite4 being so weak in this game. So far, I've gotten to just about lvl 80 on all of my Prime Cup pokemon.

My question now is this: Obviously, all 6 of these pokemon are fully EV trained at this point. Can I use rare candy to finish leveling these pokemon to 100, or will there be a negative impact on the final stats if I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If they are fully EV trained, then go ahead and treat them with rare candies :> There wont be any negative impact.

If they are fully EV trained, then go ahead and treat them with rare candies :> There wont be any negative impact.
Thanks. That's what I figured, but Google was giving conflicting answers. I was just nervous after having spent this much time training them to this point. I don't want to come off as lazy or anything, but it just seems ridiculous with no decent place to train in the endgame.

Question about bringing Gen III/IV/V Pokemon to XY:

Which balls definitely carry across and are breedable from female Pokemon in XY?

I have confirmed the following are breedable:
Dream Ball
Fast Ball
Friend Ball
Heavy Ball
Level Ball
Love Ball
Lure Ball
Moon Ball
Sport Ball

But I haven't confirmed Safari Balls yet, and as far as I can tell Park Balls revert to Poke Balls? Is that correct?

Are there any others?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)