Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

What is the best Hidden Power type to use on choice specs Zebstrika? Or, is there a better move to be using in the fourth moveslot than a Hidden Power variant?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What is the best Hidden Power type to use on choice specs Zebstrika? Or, is there a better move to be using in the fourth moveslot than a Hidden Power variant?
Specs isn't a great item on Zebstrika, Magnet or Life Orb are much better so it can switch up moves and take advantage of its decent coverage. Hidden Power Grass is the only useful Hidden Power to use as it hits bulky ground types like sandslash, Rhydon, golurk, seismitoad, etc.

Two questions-

1. Is this a good Lanturn Set?
Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Charge Beam
- Rest
- Stockpile
2. Is a chrge beam rotom-normal a good set, because i use one with max speed leftovers with will-o-wisp, sub, and shadow ball.If not, what would be a good set?

Two questions-

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Charge Beam
- Rest
- Stockpile
2. Is a chrge beam rotom-normal a good set, because i use one with max speed leftovers with will-o-wisp, sub, and shadow ball.If not, what would be a good set?
Simply put, no. For the second one, also no.
Charge bean in general is just an underwhelming move, and not really worth it, since its still only a 50% chance to boost spa. If you don't get a boost, you have essentially wasted a turn which you could have used doing more damage anyway.
For the two mons you mention in particular, Lanturn is a great pivot, absorbing water / electric attacks and gaining momentum out of it, it's stats do not deem it as a settup sweeper as it doesn't get a nice boosting move like calm mind, nor does it have the spa to pull it off.
Rotom is quite similar, typing makes it an excellent pivot in and out of priority. A defensive subsplit set with will o wisp has been used, but its just not as good as the scarf set or spell tag hex set.

edit: ninja'd
Two questions-

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Charge Beam
- Rest
- Stockpile
Not sure about the Lanturn set (it gets totally stomped by Seismitoad though), but for the Rotom set it seems ok but totally outclassed by Mismagius, who gets Shadow Ball, Substitute, Thunderbolt, Will-O-Wisp, and Nasty Plot for more reliable setup. Sure it can't run all of those moves on one set, but still it's bulkier, (especially on the special side), faster, and stronger than Rotom. Plus Mismagius has other cool options like Dazzling Gleam, Destiny Bond, and Taunt. Really the only advantage Rotom has is STAB electric, but Thunderbolt still does more I think.

Consider the following chain of events:

Turn x:
Liepard uses echoed voice, the opponent faints.
Turn x+1:
Liepard uses copycat, strikes first thanks to prankster, and thus uses echoed voice again.

Question 1: Will the 40 base power increase still happen, even though echoed voice was not "selected", but "used"?

Question 2: If Liepard holds a metronome, will the item boost the echoed voice on the second turn, or does choosing copycat (obviously a different move than echoed voice) stop the metronome boost?

I believe the first answer is yes, but can anyone confirm? For the second question I have no idea.

Newbie question: I was looking over the play restrictions for the tiers and I see and understand the Species Clause, but my question is does this apply to items as well? Or can you have members on your team hold identical items? I know it isn't stated that I can't, but I just wanted to make sure before team building.

I know it might be difficult at this point, but can someone put together a Logs and Replays thread for NUPL? As someone who's trying to branch out into different tiers, it's awesome and convenient to be able to see teams and battles between recognized NU players.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know it might be difficult at this point, but can someone put together a Logs and Replays thread for NUPL? As someone who's trying to branch out into different tiers, it's awesome and convenient to be able to see teams and battles between recognized NU players.
O_k, I'll do that (hopefully all the replays are on smogtours)

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
O_k, I'll do that (hopefully all the replays are on smogtours)
You can find all the replays here. It's all a matter of adding them to the replay archive.

Edit: Each week is on a separate tab, so just click the week you want.

Ok so I really want to participate in tournaments, but I cant because its simply not possible for me to commit to a tourney that lasts over several weeks. And im sure there are others with the same problem. So I was thinking maybe it could work to arrange a tourney that starts and ends on the same day. You sign up in the forums if the date and time fits your schedule, and then you enter a given tourney room at that time. Those who dont show are immidiatly disqualified. I dont know if this will work, presumably because not enough ppl will be able to participate, but I think itsworth a shot

Ok so I really want to participate in tournaments, but I cant because its simply not possible for me to commit to a tourney that lasts over several weeks. And im sure there are others with the same problem. So I was thinking maybe it could work to arrange a tourney that starts and ends on the same day. You sign up in the forums if the date and time fits your schedule, and then you enter a given tourney room at that time. Those who dont show are immidiatly disqualified. I dont know if this will work, presumably because not enough ppl will be able to participate, but I think itsworth a shot
something similar to this is in the works right now

Whilst I'm not new, I have been out of the loop for a long time (I used to have an account named ZandgaiaX), after giving all tiers a shot: NU is definitely the most fun out of the bunch!

My question is this, how common/powerful is stall, in all its versions, within the NU meta?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
yea I have a pretty simple question..

when did we change the "Resource" tag in the sub-forum from blue to yellow? shit looks sexy as hell. nice work gang!

Reactions: nv

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not so familiar with nu, what roles mawile can fit that make it an a+ treat?
Mawile can effectively utilize a defensive or offensive role, which is always an important quality. Specifically, offensive sets typically run some combination of swords dance, iron head, sucker punch, play rough, fire fang, and stealth rock. While its base Attack isn't that great, the combo of life orb + sheer force gives it a hefty boost. On the other hand, defensive sets are used to make the most of mawiles unique typing to check threats such as sneasel, jynx, and kangaskhan. Mawile has a huge support movepool, and defensive sets generally carry one stab move (I prefer iron head but play rough works too) and stealth rock, with the last 2 slots being open to taunt, super fang, toxic, baton pass, pain split, etc.

Last edited:
Does anyone think Dedenne is good?
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Its stats, abilities and movepool are simply too bad to be worth considering ever. Maybe you are finding some success with it, but it's only a minimal part of what that success could be if you used an actually good Electric type i.e. Magneton(best Pokémon in the tier), Rotom, Rotom-Fan, Zebstrika, Electivire or even Raichu. Not even going to mention defensive Electrics such as Lanturn and Stunfisk.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Dedenne's pretty funny when you live almost any hit, paralyze them with nuzzle, get back to above 50% from just its ability, and super fang them / u-turn out to do it again. I've seen it even live a Life Orb Tauros EQ from full, which is something. It's best when your opponent brings in their electric check like Lanturn / Stunfisk on it, get chunked to half with super fang, and they're left with no way to check something else like Magneton or Fletchinder.

That being said it's just a mediocre Pokemon, especially they know what's coming their way. Funny when it works, but that's about it.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dedenne is shit. That being said I've had success with SubToxic Dedenne, and its slightly less shit than other sets. :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)