Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 136 HP / 196 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Roost
- Psyshock

don't listen to these niggas, lol. U-turn Xatu is both really good and totally viable. This is the most optimal EV spread for pretty much all Xatu's to be running right now imo, although you can opt to outrun Jolly Gallade if you don't mind losing a ton of bulk.
I'd go psychic over psyshock if you aren't Calm mind though.

Also 200 Hp 252 Defence 56 Speed is another the bulky set I prefer to run which outspeeds max speed neutral 70's. Goes down to team needs though.

I'm curious, If NU stayed the same as it is now and Hitmonchan dropped; what set would it run ? and how viable would it be ?
I'll start by saying no, I don't think Hitmonchan would be very viable if it were in this metagame. The biggest issue is that it struggles against spinblockers due to a naturally unfavorable type matchup + the lack of something like Knock Off that threatens any potential spinblocker's switch. We also have Gallade, Sawk, Gurdurr and Primeape in the tier, and Hitmonchan wouldn't be able to measure up as a Fighting type physical attacker.

As far as sets go:
It would need Rapid Spin (this is pretty much only thing it offers that our other Fighting types don't) and Drain Punch (because of the Iron Fist boost). Ice Punch gives it a way to deal with Gourgeist, Golurk and Drifblim, and does passable damage to most of the other Ghost types available. For the last moveslot it has a few coverage moves to pick from (EQ/Stone Edge/other elemental punches) or maybe Mach Punch/Bullet Punch for Iron Fist boosted priority moves. The best pick for an item would probably be Life Orb, since Drain Punch can ease its recoil and extra power is always appreciated on something that counts elemental punches among its strongest coverage moves.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
What is a good set for a Mantine that is Gen VI native? Aka, no defog :P
Sadly the main reason to use Mantine is for Defog and even then it isn't as good as it used to be in the Typh / Mega Camel meta. But if you want like a fun set you could try LO Rain Dance as it has access to Swift Swim and a decent movepool. (On mobile so can't check specific coverage moves lol).

I'll start by saying no, I don't think Hitmonchan would be very viable if it were in this metagame. The biggest issue is that it struggles against spinblockers due to a naturally unfavorable type matchup + the lack of something like Knock Off that threatens any potential spinblocker's switch. We also have Gallade, Sawk, Gurdurr and Primeape in the tier, and Hitmonchan wouldn't be able to measure up as a Fighting type physical attacker.

As far as sets go:
It would need Rapid Spin (this is pretty much only thing it offers that our other Fighting types don't) and Drain Punch (because of the Iron Fist boost). Ice Punch gives it a way to deal with Gourgeist, Golurk and Drifblim, and does passable damage to most of the other Ghost types available. For the last moveslot it has a few coverage moves to pick from (EQ/Stone Edge/other elemental punches) or maybe Mach Punch/Bullet Punch for Iron Fist boosted priority moves. The best pick for an item would probably be Life Orb, since Drain Punch can ease its recoil and extra power is always appreciated on something that counts elemental punches among its strongest coverage moves.
Somebody doesn't know that Hitmonchan gets Foresight. Is pretty decent with Lum Berry to avoid Wisp from Ghosts. Nothing really wrong with all out attacks though as it's considerably faster than Gurdurr and STAB Iron Fist LO Mach Punch is pretty cool. And spinning can be better than Defog if your running a spikestack team.

Somebody doesn't know that Hitmonchan gets Foresight. Is pretty decent with Lum Berry to avoid Wisp from Ghosts. Nothing really wrong with all out attacks though as it's considerably faster than Gurdurr and STAB Iron Fist LO Mach Punch is pretty cool. And spinning can be better than Defog if your running a spikestack team.
Then you take up 2 moveslots with foresight + rapid spin and then stab I'd assume, which would basically limit it even further and would solely be used as a spinner by which it doesn't really have good bulk, base speed that threatens spin blockers like mismagius and even then it's still outclassed by pretty much every other fighting type we have in NU. Also, spike stack teams took a massive hit by xatu being so popular, so defog is a lot easier to run since spikes aren't really being successful, so instead of a spinner i'd suggest using something like a defog user like archeops which allows offensive pressure or xatu + spikes.
tl;dr hitmonchan is pretty shit

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Just theorymonning here, but what would happen if Ambipom or Hitmonchan dropped from RU? You never know when the low ladder players will stop worshipping them lol.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just theorymonning here, but what would happen if Ambipom or Hitmonchan dropped from RU? You never know when the low ladder players will stop worshipping them lol.
If they drop, then they drop, and we get to see how they'll do in NU. Nothing too complicated haha

Alright so I have been meaning to get an answer to this for a while now.

Why have so many regular (non-mega) forms of higher tier mega pokemon not dropped down to NU at this point in time. We have regular Kangaskhan, Mawile, and Pinsir despite them all having very strong Mega forms in much higher tiers so why don't we have mons like regular Steelix, Banette, and Camerupt who would all be great additions to NU. I know that the cut offs for the tiers are based around usage but if pokemon like Banette are stuck in RU because they see high viability solely because of their mega form then why have mons like Pinsir dropped down when the same would apply to them.

Are higher tiers just doing their best to keep NU from getting new toys that don't actually break the tier or what? I am assuming I am just missing something.

Alright so I have been meaning to get an answer to this for a while now.

Why have so many regular (non-mega) forms of higher tier mega pokemon not dropped down to NU at this point in time. We have regular Kangaskhan, Mawile, and Pinsir despite them all having very strong Mega forms in much higher tiers so why don't we have mons like regular Steelix, Banette, and Camerupt who would all be great additions to NU. I know that the cut offs for the tiers are based around usage but if pokemon like Banette are stuck in RU because they see high viability solely because of their mega form then why have mons like Pinsir dropped down when the same would apply to them.

Are higher tiers just doing their best to keep NU from getting new toys that don't actually break the tier or what? I am assuming I am just missing something.
The only reason we have stuff like normal pinsir and gallade is because they dont see enough usage as megas to be considered OU, but the megas are too broken for the lower tiers. With Galladeite and Pinsirite in BL, the base forms are free to drop as they are not UU or RU quality mons. The same applies to OU bans like mawilite. Mawile is not an OU, UU, or RU calibre mon, so it is left to drop via usage to NU. Stuff like Mega Ampharos or Mega Banette sees enough usage to stay in a tier like UU or RU, so the base form doesnt drop.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only reason we have stuff like normal pinsir and gallade is because they dont see enough usage as megas to be considered OU, but the megas are too broken for the lower tiers. With Galladeite and Pinsirite in BL, the base forms are free to drop as they are not UU or RU quality mons. The same applies to OU bans like mawilite. Mawile is not an OU, UU, or RU calibre mon, so it is left to drop via usage to NU. Stuff like Mega Ampharos or Mega Banette sees enough usage to stay in a tier like UU or RU, so the base form doesnt drop.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the base form dropped if a. The mega stone but not the pokemon is banned and b. It doesn't move up by usage. Stuff like Mawile, kangaskhan or Lucario had their mega stones banned, dropped in usage without the stone keeping them good, and fell to NU/UU. Camerupt moved to NU by usage, cameruptite was banned, but it received enough usage higher up to move Camerupt to RU instead of dropping back to PU. Stuff like mega amphy or banette simply never move or get suspected and stay in their tiers with their mega stones.

Edit: so to answer the original question, NU won't get things like ampharos unless they receive a large dip in usage, which has only been happening when the stone is banned. I suppose megalix could be suspected once Coballion leaves RU but it's fairly unlikely,and it'd be nuts for something like ampharosite being banned. Pidgeot is probably coming but lol who cares. KnightK

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the base form dropped if a. The mega stone but not the pokemon is banned and b. It doesn't move up by usage. Stuff like Mawile, kangaskhan or Lucario had their mega stones banned, dropped in usage without the stone keeping them good, and fell to NU/UU. Camerupt moved to NU by usage, cameruptite was banned, but it received enough usage higher up to move Camerupt to RU instead of dropping back to PU. Stuff like mega amphy or banette simply never move or get suspected and stay in their tiers with their mega stones.

Edit: so to answer the original question, NU won't get things like ampharos unless they receive a large dip in usage, which has only been happening when the stone is banned. I suppose megalix could be suspected once Coballion leaves RU but it's fairly unlikely,and it'd be nuts for something like ampharosite being banned. Pidgeot is probably coming but lol who cares. KnightK
We have a chance of getting mega sceptile since it could drop to ru and potentially get banned, other then that i don't see us getting anything good

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We have a chance of getting mega sceptile since it could drop to ru and potentially get banned, other then that i don't see us getting anything good
It wasn't banned last time and I highly doubt it's dropping (havent looked at usage stats but it's solid in OU, let alone UU), but I suppose we could.

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Anyway to improve this pretty fun trollish team? I only have 4 pokemon rn because I can't think of others to support my main amazing sweeper. For example I need a rapid spinner.

Here's a replay where I made a couple of misplays but still destroyed the other team:http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-246585014

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/STfngP9f

Edit: How about Claydol + Sawk? Weezing also seems pretty lame tbh.
I too enjoy making cancer teams.

You should definitely get some hazard control + a rock resist for Chatot (Claydol/Sandslash) as that is basically your hax wincon. I recommend giving Leavanny Knock off+Swords Dance so it can beat Xatus switching in and trying to block webs.

I also recommend another hax wincon to go with the team in case Chatot doesn't provide you with enough. I suggest an old friend that was always been good to me:

Show me the CarHax (Jumpluff)
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

Happy Haxing

Deejles McDy

I would like to preface this post by saying this is a legitimate question...

For the Sneasel and Gallade suspect, is it valid to vote Ban not because one of them is broken, but because the banning of one or both of them would make the metagame more fun to play? I have seen a lot of people saying that the current metagame just has too many threats to make it enjoyable and banning Sneasel and/or Gallade would make it more fun to play. Just curious

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would like to preface this post by saying this is a legitimate question...

For the Sneasel and Gallade suspect, is it valid to vote Ban not because one of them is broken, but because the banning of one or both of them would make the metagame more fun to play? I have seen a lot of people saying that the current metagame just has too many threats to make it enjoyable and banning Sneasel and/or Gallade would make it more fun to play. Just curious
It depends on what exactly is creating a more "fun" metagame. If the lack of fun is attributed to overcentralization or too much strain on teambuilding (both of which can cause teams to look the same, aka a stale metagame), then banning is entirely justifiable. However, it's not the lack of fun justifying the ban, it's the overcentralization or other issue(s) justifying the ban. In your case it depends on whether you think Gallade or Sneasel cause legitimate problems for the tier, without being "broken in a vacuum."

I am making an analytic watchog and on smogon it was suggested an adamant nature. Shouldnt i go for a brave nature with 0 speed iv's instead?

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I am making an analytic watchog and on smogon it was suggested an adamant nature. Shouldnt i go for a brave nature with 0 speed iv's instead?
In my experience analytic sets don't require you to make yourself ridiculously slow or as slow as possible to be effective, they simply thrive from forcing switches to hit hard with analytic, you'll want Adamant to hit as hard as possible.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really wouldn't recommend running Watchog, it's a poor choice in NU because it has terrible stats and more importantly there's almost no reason to use it over other Normal-types. Pokemon like Kangaskhan, Tauros, or Zangoose can do pretty much anything Watchog can do and more.

I really wouldn't recommend running Watchog, it's a poor choice in NU because it has terrible stats and more importantly there's almost no reason to use it over other Normal-types. Pokemon like Kangaskhan, Tauros, or Zangoose can do pretty much anything Watchog can do and more.
I am well aware however I plan on breeding all the pokemon I like even though they suck and Im like 8 pokemon away from finishing all the species which i like then I have to remake some with different spreads and then its 100 % breeding till gen 7 comes around. Breeding is just too addictive.

Watchog's bulk is too low for hitting harder to be worth it. Like Orphic said, you could take advantage of it through switches. It is better to invest in speed so Watchog would last longer in battle.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
don't listen to these niggas, Watchog is good. I ran it in XY for funsies and the thing put in work. like orphic said, the main reason to use analytic is the boost you get when you force a switch

here's the set i reccomend:

Watchog @ Choice Band
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Zen Headbutt

however, watchog gets a lot of cool moves like Aqua Tail that can help you lure in common normal type resists such as Rhydon so the last two slots are kind of subjective

I keep changing my team around as I'm trying to get into the competitive stuff...but one thing I've found is that, no matter what sort of team I have (even with tanks, both defensive and sp.def), if someone gets to set up on my (particularly gorebyss shell-smash late game), I get swept.

Are there any good counters for shell smash?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)